Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Fixing nose position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing nose position

Hello all.

We've been struggling with is the position of horsie's nose during normal work and during a stretch. He likes to keep it just behind the vertical, and it's very hard to get back. If I offer rein, he'll occasionally poke it out but also dumps into my hand and goes for a run. During a stretch, he takes the rein down, but remains very short under his neck and lengthens his topline into a really weird curl - if he even bothers to try, sometimes he just doesn't feel like stretching and I can't convince him otherwise.

Anyone dealt with this? Any ideas? We just did first level for the first time if that helps.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Official Secretary of Sass

Go back to basics and teach him to stretch to the bit long low and out. This is not just nose position but basic hole in contact and engagement.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
      Go back to basics and teach him to stretch to the bit long low and out. This is not just nose position but basic hole in contact and engagement.
      He does the same thing long and low, he doesn't with no contact but cannot be ridden without contact safely. This only happens riding with contact and/or he's actually "working," smaller circles, lateral movements, lengthens, etc. Should we be doing that type of thing lnl? Even if he curls the same way?
      When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by grandprixer View Post

He does the same thing long and low, he doesn't with no contact but cannot be ridden without contact safely. This only happens riding with contact and/or he's actually "working," smaller circles, lateral movements, lengthens, etc. Should we be doing that type of thing lnl? Even if he curls the same way?
        If you can't ride a horse safely on no contact that's a big hole in his training. As you've seen if you can't ride no contact you probably can't ride with correct contact either. Because correct contact means the horse is happily accepting the presence of a bit without the bit being a major part of signalling speed or direction

Everything you are describing is typical of a green horse. The solution is to go back to square one and train correctly. It's quite typical for a horse to muddle through to first level with out having the basics really installed. Especially if the horse has nice gaits or a good overall dressage "look." The holes start to really appear when you try to move past first level. And can't collect or go on contact.

The position of the nose is not as important as the fact that the horse is ducking behind the bit and then dumping on the forehand.

This is all basic green horse problems. I would suggest finding a good trainer who can help you sort out priorities with this particular horse.

Comment

As you are doing long and low, your hands should remain as always above the wither, you should be riding strongly forward but not allowing him to rush. Make sure your shoulders are back and open, and lift through your chest

Lifting through your chest lightens your body, and encourages them to "come out'.
          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

If you can't ride a horse safely on no contact that's a big hole in his training. As you've seen if you can't ride no contact you probably can't ride with correct contact either. Because correct contact means the horse is happily accepting the presence of a bit without the bit being a major part of signalling speed or direction

Everything you are describing is typical of a green horse. The solution is to go back to square one and train correctly. It's quite typical for a horse to muddle through to first level with out having the basics really installed. Especially if the horse has nice gaits or a good overall dressage "look." The holes start to really appear when you try to move past first level. And can't collect or go on contact.

The position of the nose is not as important as the fact that the horse is ducking behind the bit and then dumping on the forehand.

This is all basic green horse problems. I would suggest finding a good trainer who can help you sort out priorities with this particular horse.
            Maybe I missed some context on why I can't ride safely with no reins. 1. I don't have an arena, I ride in a pasture. I need to steer/avoid other horses. 2. He's reactive. He doesn't run away immediately without contact but regularly spooks and I need some method of preventing a fit/bolt. No amount of training will fix that. 3. Due to the arena situation, footing is uncertain and I occasionally need to help him with his balance. He's not badly behaved on no contact, it's not a training hole. Not all of us have indoor arenas and fancy setups.

We lesson weekly with a very good trainer. I know he has a solid base. He has good basics, even with everything else aligned he sits just barely behind the vertical. That's all I was asking about.

Comment

You will probably will find he is now broken necked so he is working the incorrect muscles.

As others have said he is not understanding contact.

If you have used any gadgets to get to this stage STOP.

Side reins are not a gadget and will help him to understand contact, but he must be lunged without the reins ever pulling a horse's head in and with his poll at the highest.

The same with riding. The poll should be the highest part of the neck. In sitting trot, your tummy brings the poll up. In the rising trot more inside leg and ride him forward.

He needs strength and the correct muscles as well as the correct understanding of contact to go in long and low.

Remember that it is harder to retrain than to train. He needs retraining now.
              It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

I would stop riding in a pasture that horses are turned out in. That’s a bad idea under the best circumstances. Your horse is green and doesn’t accept contact. That makes riding in a pasture with horses just plain dangerous.

You need to go back to square one and teach acceptance contact. By going behind the vertical wheel is showing you the holes in his training.
                Last edited by Denali6298; Mar. 23, 2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I ride lit up horses in a field and I agree that you should get to a point in your workout where your horse is relaxed enough and listening and you should be able to ride with no contact. It may take 40 minutes. It may not ever work on a windy cold day. If you are worried he’s going to crash into other horses then ride him without company until he regularly does it and for longer and longer periods. For spooky types/windy days, I ride one handed (left) and let the reins slide through my fingers as the horse stretches down and keep my right hand hovered above, so that if they do something goofy I can quickly slide my right hand down the reins to to their neck to secure the reins without hitting them in the mouth and prevent any nonsense.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SuzieQNutter View Post
                    You will probably will find he is now broken necked so he is working the incorrect muscles.

As others have said he is not understanding contact.

If you have used any gadgets to get to this stage STOP.

Side reins are not a gadget and will help him to understand contact, but he must be lunged without the reins ever pulling a horse's head in and with his poll at the highest.

The same with riding. The poll should be the highest part of the neck. In sitting trot, your tummy brings the poll up. In the rising trot more inside leg and ride him forward.

He needs strength and the correct muscles as well as the correct understanding of contact to go in long and low.

Remember that it is harder to retrain than to train. He needs retraining now.
                    We don't use anything other than a snaffle. He's well muscled over his topline, at least reasonably so considering the weather lately. His poll is usually the highest point, unless we're stretching or lnl. I just want to poke his nose out.

Comment

Read this thread.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...nection-issues

Comment

Respectfully, I dont think you understand the principles of dressage. That is not to say that you cant ride a test or that you arent a good rider.

But there are some gaps in your knowledge base and before you can address your horses issue you need to fix your own.

The goal of dressage is not to package a horse in a frame so that it looks pretty.

It is to teach the horse self carriage by a series of meaningful exercises that build the correct muscles.

Can you get your trainer to video one of your lessons so that you can see what you doing as opposed to what you feel like you are doing?

I would incorporate lateral work, transitions in and out of gait and within the gait and lots of changes of direction. If you keep him focused on you he'll be too busy to spook and bolt.

Good luck hope this helps.
                        Certified Guacophobe

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by AnastasiaBeaverhousen View Post

Respectfully, I dont think you understand the principles of dressage. That is not to say that you cant ride a test or that you arent a good rider.

But there are some gaps in your knowledge base and before you can address your horses issue you need to fix your own.

The goal of dressage is not to package a horse in a frame so that it looks pretty.

It is to teach the horse self carriage by a series of meaningful exercises that build the correct muscles.

Can you get your trainer to video one of your lessons so that you can see what you doing as opposed to what you feel like you are doing?

I would incorporate lateral work, transitions in and out of gait and within the gait and lots of changes of direction. If you keep him focused on you he'll be too busy to spook and bolt.

Good luck hope this helps.
                          What am I not understanding? He's correct in the connection, moving through and over his neck, balanced, and regular. He's muscled over his topline and though his butt. But I regularly get comments on my tests about his nose and I want to fix it. There's no comments about a poor connection, shot him bring inverted, or resistant, he's honestly connected.

Comment

Well for starters you keep asking about his nose and wanting it to “poke out.” He is evading contact by going behind the vertical and therefore not accepting the contact. You need to fix that hole. When people say work on long and low they mean to let the horse stretch down into the contact. Not drop all contact and ride with no reins.

What I do with my overly reactive mare is keep her busy. Change direction a lot, 20 down to 10 meter circles, shallow loops etc. If she’s insisting on running she doesn’t get to go large. She will do 10 meter circles around the arena or field until she stops. If she starts running we circle. Also it’s important to keep them forward. It sounds counter productive with a horse that has a tendency to run through your hand but they need to be forward. You can widen your hands to “shorten” the reins if they get quick. You don’t need to choke up on the reins.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                              Well for starters you keep asking about his nose and wanting it to “poke out.” He is evading contact by going behind the vertical and therefore not accepting the contact. You need to fix that hole. When people say work on long and low they mean to let the horse stretch down into the contact. Not drop all contact and ride with no reins.

What I do with my overly reactive mare is keep her busy. Change direction a lot, 20 down to 10 meter circles, shallow loops etc. If she’s insisting on running she doesn’t get to go large. She will do 10 meter circles around the arena or field until she stops. If she starts running we circle. Also it’s important to keep them forward. It sounds counter productive with a horse that has a tendency to run through your hand but they need to be forward. You can widen your hands to “shorten” the reins if they get quick. You don’t need to choke up on the reins.
                              I said he still does it when lnl. I also said he doesn't do it without contact. That means they're different things that I ride differently. I don't think he's evading contact, he reaches for it, holds it, and follows it. He just does that btv. I think it's honestly how he goes and not a training hole. It's not bad, maybe 5-10 degrees.

Comment

I said he still does it when lnl. I also said he doesn't do it without contact. That means they're different things that I ride differently. I don't think he's evading contact, he reaches for it, holds it, and follows it. He just does that btv. I think it's honestly how he goes and not a training hole. It's not bad, maybe 5-10 degrees.
                                It’s still a hole if it’s getting commented on when you show. We ALL struggle with this with horses. You can either ask and learn or ask and get offended when told a refresher at the basics is in order. If he doesn’t do it without contact that literally means he doesn’t fully accept it. If you don’t think it’s a training hole there is nothing anyone can say that will help you.

If it’s not him it’s you not being steady with your hands, not riding forward and supporting him.

Comment

You keep getting the same comment about your horses nose .

What does your trainer say?
                                  Have you directly asked the trainer to explain what the comment means and why?

If you tried and you are confused or you are not getting the result you want, then I suggest you find another trainer.

I get that you may not be able to find another trainer or that the pasture is the only place you can ride.

A pasture with loose horses is not condusive to successful or safe schooling . Especially with a horse that tends to spook or bolt . It really isn't.

Save up some money and find a trainer where you can haul into and take lessons in a dressage arena or closed ring and take some lunge lessons as well.

I dont say this to be nasty or mock you or belittle your efforts.

I am saying this because you asked for help, but you sound defensive and annoyed at the answers you've been given.

To successfully solve this problem you need to understand why your horse is doing this and from your responses it appears to me that you do not.

There is no simple formula here.

And lastly, your horse is not "honestly connected"
                                  A horse that curls behind the contact and runs away when you loosen the reins is not connected.

I sincerely wish you well and I hope that you consider the advice that the other responders have given you.
                                  Certified Guacophobe

Comment

Maybe I missed some context on why I can't ride safely with no reins. 1. I don't have an arena, I ride in a pasture. I need to steer/avoid other horses. 2. He's reactive. He doesn't run away immediately without contact but regularly spooks and I need some method of preventing a fit/bolt. No amount of training will fix that. 3. Due to the arena situation, footing is uncertain and I occasionally need to help him with his balance. He's not badly behaved on no contact, it's not a training hole. Not all of us have indoor arenas and fancy setups.
                                    I don't think Scribbler was saying you should be riding with no reins. Almost nobody should be riding with no reins.

First, to address your question about the nose.. Being behind the bit or behind the vertical, is an evasion technique and is considered by dressage judges as a "lack of acceptance of the bit". Meaning a judge will mark you for this if they see it.

It's the horse's way of "framing up" their neck so they can get you to quit nagging them with that pesky bit.

Once a horse has learned to curl, it's very hard to get them above the bit again. It requires going back a few steps in your training, because if a horse is not accepting the bit, that is a fundamental tenet the horse is not understanding and you will not be able to be competitive if you keep going without addressing that miscommunication.

Scribbler is right, there is a hole -- or maybe it is not a hole, since it sounds like the horse is green.. It just hasn't been trained into the horse yet.

Regarding riding in the pasture.. I'm also a fellow pasture-rider. I don't have a ring. I have trails, and I have a grass pasture where I do dressage work. Whenever I ride in the pasture, ALL of the horses are put in a standing. I never, ever ride with loose horses. Two reasons, one learned the really hard way: when I was a teen I was lazy, and figured I would just hop on my horse and school some stuff bareback. His pasture-mate, who is normally docile as a lamb, charged me down and bit the CRAP out of my leg while I was on my horse. I had a black/blue area on my thigh - and I'm lucky I didn't fall off in the process. The other reason to not ride with loose horses is that it is distracting to your current horse, who if he is green, probably just wants to get back to his friends. You don't want to be setting up competing interest[s] when you're training a noodly, mentally-not-strong horse. You want his sole attention to be on YOU. Not on the horse in the corner, not on what is going on when they're running around..

Respectfully, you can learn a lot by listening to the posters who have already given you advice. While it may challenge your idea of how well trained your horse is, it is classically correct. If you want to fix this issue, you have to go back to square one. You have to work on accepting the bit.

I find BTV is also usually a lack of impulsion in most cases.

Going back to basics doesn't mean you have to ride / will never show again. It just means you're sharpening up some understandings that along the way may have gotten misconstrued. As for how I would fix this issue..? I would go back to the walk. I would work on getting a forward, marching, loose walk. I wouldn't worry about the head, or the neck. I would only want engagement and activity behind. I'd work on spiral ins, outs, leg yields, serpentines, all without losing rhythm, and all with soft changes of bend. When my horse could demonstrate that effectively it's time to trot. Same thing. Big, swinging, marching, FORWARD trot. Too many riders focus on condensing the trot when working with green horses. You should be owning the trot - own that forward motion, keep that forward motion going through every change of bend, every serpentine, every leg yield. Forwardness, in my experience, is usually restricted - which leads to horses curling behind the bit and riders feeling their horse is "unrideable" in bigger gaits.

We all have holes in our training. There is no such thing as a perfectly trained horse or a perfectly trained rider. That is what makes the journey so exciting, and the accomplishments so wonderful once we fill those holes in.
                                    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Well said Beowolf
                                      Certified Guacophobe

Comment

Forgive me but I would have to see a photo of him behind the vertical and with his poll as the highest.
                                        It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                        X