Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Staying riding fit during self-isolation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying riding fit during self-isolation

What is everyone doing if they can’t get to the barn? I’m trying to walk a minimum of 5k/day, working in my hip flexor stretches and trying to build my upper back muscles and core strength at the suggestion of my trainer.

Anyone else?

Running outdoors 2x a week and walking on other days. So far, my small, not very busy gym is still open, so I'll go 2x a week. If they close down, I have kettlebells, a Bosu ball and barbell in the basement that I can accomplish most of my gym workout with.

Still going to the barn and not anticipating that we'll be locked down or the barn will be closed, but who knows.

Comment

Our barn is not closed ---we decided that when we are riding or handling horses---we already practice social distancing. I noticed you get even more space if you have a mare! One of my mares makes it quite clear how much personal space she requires from other riders and horses!! Not to make light of it because I really am grateful I *can* still ride---otherwise I really would go stir crazy.

What has been a challenge is that I used to do my workouts at the work gym and now we are required to work from home. It has been 3 days WFH now and I need to get into a workout routine. So far---it's just been long walks with the dog. Tomorrow I'm going to dust off my "Success in the Saddle" DVD set and try doing one of those workouts. They are only 20 minutes long and they really are targeted towards riding fitness. I did them at one point for a while, but then got out of the habit when my work gym started classes. I'm posting this partly to keep myself honest---so that I really do this tomorrow. I also like to do random stuff as a break during the day: planks, walking lunges (with kettlebells) and wall sits are good too.

Comment

So far I can still go to the barn.

Otherwise I still walk or run with the dog everyday. I have a spin bike in my house that I use now that the gym is closed. I also have a mat for abs, stretches, yoga, etc. So while I am not lifting heavy weights, I can get by with this for now.

I think the key is not to sit around and eat

Comment

You can find most exercise programs and classes on YouTube and some are doing daily videos on Facebook.

The OrangeTheory YouTube channel will have daily exercises, and a bunch of other programs are posting free videos on their websites - check with Beach Body, Les Mills, Daily Burn, etc. You can also get free 14-30 day trials with several of the streaming workout programs.

I have one gym program that uses weights and a resistance tube, but now is the time to really focus on form since I don't have those at home.

If the weather ever improves, I might see if a few fellow gym friends might meet in a park and do some sort of bootcamp and/or hike.

Comment

I really like the YouTube channels BodyFit by Amy, FitnessBlender, and HASFit. Plenty of variety, and workouts from 10 minutes to over an hour. I also like AthleanX because he is a PT as well as a trainer, but it's mostly informational. I use it to check my form or if I'm looking to swap an exercise.

Comment

I am still able to go ride as my barn is not closed. My gym along with all gyms in NJ are closed. I’m working from home now so I do have more time to take my dog for walks. I am going to start doing some of the weight bearing exercises I do with my trainer at the gym. Any thing is better than nothing!

Comment

My barn is closed, as is my gym. I’m doing the BBG program at home - found the week plans on Pinterest. It requires minimal equipment (aka weights and a mat) and you can modify all the exercises until you’re stronger.

I like that it’s 3x a week (28 min workout) and 2-3x a week easy cardio. Once the weather is warmer, I will leave my house and go walking.

It’s hard to stay motivated. Especially when my DH is in good enough shape that he can nap the afternoon away eating chips!

Comment

• Original Poster

I will try some of these suggestions. I tried a high intensity one with my teenager today and nearly threw up lol

Comment

Back in the 80s there was an effective workout routine called Callanetics. Somewhat a combination of dance, Pilates, yoga, etc. Somewhat unique and targetted. I am returning to that plus adding walks with dog and recumbent stationary bike.

best of luck. Our barn here is closed until the end of the month, maybe longer. I drove past the farm yesterday just to see the mare’s pretty face in her paddock from the road. So much for the best therapy during these times. .

Comment

I have always had a whole gym set up in my basement. I have a stepper, a climber, a treadmill, a life rower, an exercise bike, free weights, a balance board, a balance ball, an inclined weight bench, a thigh master, a chin-up bar, and resistance bands. I also do floor exercises. I mainly am working on range of motion (stretches), core and gluteal strength, cardio, and balance.
                      Banter whenever you want to banter....canter whenever you want to canter.

Comment

Wow. Barns are closing? It's my best time to get out and exercise & get some fresh air My sympathies to any who's barns are CLOSED -- ye gods! I've recently heard of closing barns to clinicians or traveling trainers -- I think that's extreme, too. It's not like we're sitting in a closed conference room watching "how to improve your riding" videos together.

Me, I'd be climbing the gates, crawling through fences, whatever it took to see my horses. It's not fair to the animals to stop their training and exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFigs View Post
                          Wow. Barns are closing? It's my best time to get out and exercise & get some fresh air My sympathies to any who's barns are CLOSED -- ye gods! I've recently heard of closing barns to clinicians or traveling trainers -- I think that's extreme, too. It's not like we're sitting in a closed conference room watching "how to improve your riding" videos together.

Me, I'd be climbing the gates, crawling through fences, whatever it took to see my horses. It's not fair to the animals to stop their training and exercise.
                          You apparently don’t fully grasp how a virus spreads, then. My barn is closed to the public, and the only horses here are my own. No lessons, training, or clinics at this time.
                          Banter whenever you want to banter....canter whenever you want to canter.

Comment

Of course I understand how a virus spreads. If it's YOUR barn, and all the horses are yours, then I don't see the problem. You can ride any time you want. If you happen to give lessons on your horses or have clinicians come to your barn, then that's your decision alone and you bear the financial hit. Your choice.

I see this as a hardship on boarders, students, and horses who are not getting "face time" because a barn owner closes the facility. And it's NOT like we're in a small enclosed space. Most of us at "my" barn ride outside anyway.

Comment

I haul to a small, private barn with plenty of space and not too many people so I'm still able to ride... But riding isn't enough to stay truly fit so I supplement with yoga and hiking. I'm still hiking because the 4 mile loop off my property is all but deserted and the dogs need to run. My yoga studio is closed so the last two weeks have been rough without that, but starting this week they're doing virtual classes on Zoom every day until the studio is able to open back up. The more advanced class that I prefer isn't one they're doing but the intermediate class will be virtual so I'm really looking forward to getting back in my yoga routine!

Comment

• Original Poster

I’m surprised to hear that boarding / lesson barns aren’t closed everywhere, knowing what we now know.

We may not be in close quarters with our fellow boarders, but we are all touching the same gates, stall latches, counters, crossties, doorknobs, sinks, toilets and more. They were legally required to close under a provincial state of emergency law where I live but I would think the effort to minimize risk and the number of people leaving their homes would be SOP in most places by now. It’s got nothing to do with fairness and everything to do with limiting activity only to what’s ESSENTIAL.

What else is still open in your city / state? Am genuinely curious to see how this varies across the country.

Comment

I live in the central valley, CA.
                                  As far as I know boarding facilities remain open in my area. I went to my local Fleet Feet store to get some shoes I ordered a week ago but they have closed. The donut shop a couple doors down from them was open. They had a line outside and of course the people were all standing right next to each other.
                                  I work in a hospital and right now we are extremely slow. All elective surgeries have been cancelled and the ER is not nearly as busy as it usually is. One floor of the hospital has been reserved for Covid patients but so far no positives here.
                                  Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Comment

The only people allowed at the stables are trainers and grooms. Every horse is in at least a grooming/turn out situation so all horses are getting exercised. I can only afford twice a week rides but they have two Eurocizers, so he gets some exercise daily.

At my former barn, there are many horses not in a grooming program, so those owners are allowed 45 minutes a day to get their horses out and may only use their own halters and grooming supplies.

The thinking is that if even one of the grooms or stall cleaners got infected, the entire crew would be quarantined. Then who would care for the horses?

Horses do just fine in stall rest or rehab, so they’ll be okay.

As for me, I have a stationary bike and Netflix. Plus jogging and a Pilates dvd. I’m also looking for other ideas in a thread in OT.
                                    A helmet saved my life.

2017 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Comment

Of course I understand how a virus spreads. If it's YOUR barn, and all the horses are yours, then I don't see the problem. You can ride any time you want. If you happen to give lessons on your horses or have clinicians come to your barn, then that's your decision alone and you bear the financial hit. Your choice.

I see this as a hardship on boarders, students, and horses who are not getting "face time" because a barn owner closes the facility. And it's NOT like we're in a small enclosed space. Most of us at "my" barn ride outside anyway.
                                      https://ontarioequestrian.ca/stateme...irus-covid-19/

https://ontarioequestrian.ca/ontario...lity-closures/

This might help to explain the situation here, outside of what we as responsible citizens are doing in doing our part.

Not happy times for anyone, but for the greater good, I miss my pony incredibly but know she is getting the best care possible. We are fortunate. Yes. It is hard.

Comment

Big Mama, I'm in Colorado. Restaurants, bars, theaters (movie and live performances), concert venues, are closed. Grocery stores, pharmacies, pet food stores, big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy are still open, though Best Buy reserves the right to limit how many custormers can enter the store at any one time.

I'm probably in greater danger at my local grocery than at my barn.

Comment

Working...
                                        X