Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Contact questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact questions

Hi everyone, a few contact questions. I'm not a dressage rider, but I'm trying to learn.

1. When working with a green horse (TB who has gone above the bit her whole life), I want to be able to reward when the horse has a moment where they quietly reach into the contact and are active behind. I am a very pressure and release of pressure for a reward type of rider, and find that I teach most skills with by doing this. So, when I feel a correct and quiet contact from the horse, like they are meeting my hands, my inclination is to want to throw it away, or push my hand further forward in attempt to say "yes, good job that is what I want- have some rein". How do you respond when you feel that "correct contact"- how do we reinforce that on a horse that is just learning?

2. What is the best correction for coming above the bit (green horse)? Mainly happens on the straight aways. I usually follow the horses head up with my hands, and slightly close my fists while adding leg- maybe do a circle. Thoughts?

1. So this one is a hard one to get the hang of as it is somewhat counter-intuitive. Horses can be rewarded by simply staying in sync with them and keeping them balanced. Unbalancing a horse by dropping the reins right after they take contact is not a reward. When a horse takes the bridle you must stay in sync with them and simply support them with a gentle leg and a following arm. If you feel the need to do something, use your voice, or transition down and take an actual break to reward.

2. The coming above the bit is a sign of loosing balance. A gentle bend helps the horse gain balance. As the horse learns to move off your leg you can correct the loss of balance more subtly but to start, a circle helps and eventually it will just be a bit of inside leg to reengage the inside hind leg.
    "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Comment

I'm no pro, but something I had to learn was "giving the rein" doesn't have to be anything but a softening. The horse doesn't feel slighted if the "give" is 1/4" instead of 5". Just soften and follow.

Comment

I'm no pro as well but agree with all the points above. Also, on a green horse, I'd only ever soften or "give" one rein at a time on a green. And like has been mentioned, it doesn't have to be dramatic. I definitely wouldn't do it too early either. Stay steady and use your voice, then later you can do a bit of uberstreichen (giving of the rein, a test of the contact really.)

Comment

The reward for a correct contact is to soften your fingers and thereby soften the contact. If you move your hand forward it pushes your horse off balance. They must seek the connection and trust that you will be there for them. A conversation.

Circles are your friend. Plenty of circles as suggested by Hawks Nest. Also use your corners in the school, half halt, rebalance, use the corner to reconnect.

Transitions by the million to balance and rebalance.
          "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

1. There is a whole range of contact between "keeping it the same" and "throwing it all away".
            At the halt, hold your reins short enough thar there is a straight line from bit to elbow.
            Close your fist tightly - there's your firm contact.
            Relax a bit so you are still closing your fist, but more loosely - there's your light contact.

2. You should ride with your reins short enough that contacts 1 and 2 (and in between) are always available to you.
            If your horse significantly raises his head you may have to being your elbows back a bit, but in moments of bracing put contact #1 on your horse. Do not give until he gives, even if you have to go from trot to walk to halt to waiting for him to say yes ma'am to the halt. Adding bend or a couple lateral steps outward can encourage the horse to relax and give sooner so you can also soften sooner. When he softens, go to contact #2.

Repeat for the rest of your life.
            The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
            Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
            Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
            The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

and dont forget to add leg when he raises his head....

Comment

Originally posted by Torre View Post
                Hi everyone, a few contact questions. I'm not a dressage rider, but I'm trying to learn.

1. When working with a green horse (TB who has gone above the bit her whole life), I want to be able to reward when the horse has a moment where they quietly reach into the contact and are active behind. I am a very pressure and release of pressure for a reward type of rider, and find that I teach most skills with by doing this. So, when I feel a correct and quiet contact from the horse, like they are meeting my hands, my inclination is to want to throw it away, or push my hand further forward in attempt to say "yes, good job that is what I want- have some rein". How do you respond when you feel that "correct contact"- how do we reinforce that on a horse that is just learning?

2. What is the best correction for coming above the bit (green horse)? Mainly happens on the straight aways. I usually follow the horses head up with my hands, and slightly close my fists while adding leg- maybe do a circle. Thoughts?
                I very much agree with the above posters, especially Hawks Nest.

I wonder if you TB raced or was trained to race. They have a very different association with contact than a TB who never went that route. TBs who raced were taught to pull against contact, ant that's a whole other story. It is easier for the horse to go above the bit and move, you have to convince the horse to use it's whole body. That's what the exercises do, but horses like to do what is easier for them.

In dressage, you want contact. It's like holding hands or giving a handshake. How do you feel shaking the hand of someone who doesn't shake back and is limp? You lose confidence in them. The worse thing you can do is throw it away the reins, as a horse in training is seeking your guidance as they lose balance. You want to FOLLOW, not throw the reins away or restrict movement with a stiff hand. You want your horse to rely on your kind but instructive hands/body to help them know what to do. You don't want your horse to learn that "no pressure" is the release and hope to train this horse in dressage or any kind of riding. Even trail horses have to learn that the rider dictates the ride by using rein aids and seat/leg aids, and a release isn't about throwing the reins away, letting the horse think he's OK to do his own thing. That's actually very dangerous on trails. Without aids, many horses say "Sh*t, what do I do??)

Coming above the bit on a green horse? Depends on how much above the bit and the lesson being taught. Some horses are more inclined to come above the bit due to their build than others. Mine is like this. I let him figure things out being above the bit, but once he understands, I expect him to lower his neck, open his throatlatch and use his back. This takes creative riding on my part. It takes many changes of direction, circles, leg yields, and an understanding that this is all new to your green horse. Cut your horse slack!!! Don't worry about his head as you train him to your aids. Slowly teach him to use his back and the head will lower and you'll fix the coming above the bit with only slight reminders with your hands (sliding the bit, not pulling). It's all about engagement of his body and butt, and that takes time. Don't rush!!
                Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

If the horse does not understand contact then you are in the realm of danger.

With a horse and rider who do not understand contact the rules are that legs mean go, hands mean turn or stop and you never use legs and hands at the same time, because to do so you will confuse the horse.

It is a confused horse, not a naughty horse, that throws its head, opens its mouth, bucks, spins, bolts and or rears.

To add legs and hands at the same time is a way to teach a horse to rear. If they go over backwards they can kill or maim the rider and or themselves which is what I mean from danger.

You are taking a being that does not understand English and has no wish to learn contact and trying to make them think it is a good thing. That takes skill.

Contact can be learnt by horses in experienced hands in minutes. Horses are very fast learners.

Riders are not fast learners. It can take years to learn contact, even on school masters with instructors commenting on every stride.

Basically for dressage it is always seat then legs then hands. ALWAYS. EVERY TIME. Whether you think it, write it or do it.

Even with an ottb you want relaxation and forward first.

Inside leg to outside rein is happening the whole time, it is a basic when people say add inside leg they are meaning over above what is already happening with inside leg to outside rein.

For contact your hands never move back. You give the inside rein, you don't give the outside rein. You never pull. You hold and give the inside rein when the horse gives.

Horses learn from the release of pressure. So if they pull and you give you have taught them to pull and lean.

When they give, you give the inside rein and they learn to give.

You can practise with another person. Hold the reins as normal, they take the bit and pull. When they suddenly release - your elbows should not move back and the rein should slacken. It is a skill.
                  Last edited by SuzieQNutter; Feb. 15, 2020, 11:54 PM.
                  It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Contact is simply being there. You are not asking for round, you are just there. It is supportive and soft. In the early stages with a green horse, you simply ride forward indicating turns, and changes of direction with your seat and legs first, backed up by a soft opening rein. Gradually as the horse better understands body aids, the use of the opening rein, its use becomes less and less, finally indicated by a light vibration of the fingers. This takes time, some horses rapidly learn and others take much longer. The use of the rider's elbows is very important to maintaining soft fluid contact.

As the horse becomes more educated to the leg and stronger it is easier to progress to more extensive strength building exercises, almost all of which are based on the circle, bringing in the inside hind leg under the horse to a lesser or greater degree depending on the size of the circle. This is why circles are so important, and must be ridden correctly. Then in their own time, horses develop self carriage, it is then through use of a combination of body, legs and hands that the rider can expect roundness and engagement, and lightness.

When you are dealing with a horse that mistrusts contact, you must go back to the basics, and try to convince them that you will not demand but will quietly accept, by being patient and steady.

Some riders understand all of this instinctively, most take awhile to "get" it.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

The idea I use works like this:

Sit up, put your hands and arms in riding position, and tighten all your muscles from fingers to shoulders. Without moving out of position, release that muscle tension. There's your "give" without dropping the contact.

If you relax your fingers while still holding tension in say your elbows, from the horse's point of view there was no give. It's the release of tension through your own body that creates the give.
                      ​​​​​
                      ​​​​​Hopefully it's obvious that the release of tension is not becoming a floppy passenger, but releasing the tension from the active aids while maintaining body position.
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieQNutter View Post
                        If the horse does not understand contact then you are in the realm of danger.

With a horse and rider who do not understand contact the rules are that legs mean go, hands mean turn or stop and you never use legs and hands at the same time, because to do so you will confuse the horse.

It is a confused horse, not a naughty horse, that throws its head, opens its mouth, bucks, spins, bolts and or rears.

To add legs and hands at the same time is a way to teach a horse to rear. If they go over backwards they can kill or maim the rider and or themselves which is what I mean from danger.

You are taking a being that does not understand English and has no wish to learn contact and trying to make them think it is a good thing. That takes skill.

Contact can be learnt by horses in experienced hands in minutes. Horses are very fast learners.

Riders are not fast learners. It can take years to learn contact, even on school masters with instructors commenting on every stride.

Basically for dressage it is always seat then legs then hands. ALWAYS. EVERY TIME. Whether you think it, write it or do it.

Even with an ottb you want relaxation and forward first.

Inside leg to outside rein is happening the whole time, it is a basic when people say add inside leg they are meaning over above what is already happening with inside leg to outside rein.

For contact your hands never move back. You give the inside rein, you don't give the outside rein. You never pull. You hold and give the inside rein when the horse gives.

Horses learn from the release of pressure. So if they pull and you give you have taught them to pull and lean.

When they give, you give the inside rein and they learn to give.

You can practise with another person. Hold the reins as normal, they take the bit and pull. When they suddenly release - your elbows should not move back and the rein should slacken. It is a skill.
                        If you only ever give the inside rein and persistently ride with more feel on the outside rein than the inside rein, you will never have a straight horse.

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post

If you only ever give the inside rein and persistently ride with more feel on the outside rein than the inside rein, you will never have a straight horse.
                          It is something that takes feel. Too much
                          outside rein and the horse will shoulder in. Too little outside rein and the horse won't go into the outside rein and will look out.

You lengthen both reins for long and low, you shorten to work the horse. Both reins are not held in the same spot for the entire ride.

It is a balance. You have to balance between seat legs and hand. Think of the sweet spot with clutch and accelerator on a manual car.

Comment

susie Q-if you wish a horse to turn while going forward, you must use hand to control the degree of flexion. The turning comes from the rider's legs and seat supported by the reins, therefore both must be used simultaneously, even if only the outside rein.

@meup-Relying on reins to maintain straightness is counter productive. Reins control the head and neck, leaving the rest of the horse capable of wriggling around. Legs and seat are responsible for straightness.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                              susie Q-if you wish a horse to turn while going forward, you must use hand to control the degree of flexion. The turning comes from the rider's legs and seat supported by the reins, therefore both must be used simultaneously, even if only the outside rein.

@meup-Relying on reins to maintain straightness is counter productive. Reins control the head and neck, leaving the rest of the horse capable of wriggling around. Legs and seat are responsible for straightness.
                              Obviously straightness comes from the whole ride, however if you perpetually ride the horse to have 5 units weight on the outside rein and 2 units weight on the inside rein, and only the inside rein ever releases, the horse will never be straight.

You can't ride the whole horse straight correctly with just the reins, but you can certainly fk it all up by riding "inside leg to outside rein" past all level of reasonability.

The same way you can screw it all up by "adding more leg" everytime you have a question, because it supposedly solves every problem ever, until whatever clinician you finally check in with says you are going too fast and across the ground, and the horse needs to wait and carry.

LEG LEG LEG!!
                              INSIDE LEG TO OUTSIDE REIN!!!

If you just parrot it all rotely without stopping by "feel" and "judgment" first, you'll have a crooked horse who is rushing.

Comment

Feel. Balance the reins and legs - enough inside rein for the flexion you want, enough outside rein to keep weight on the outside hind leg and control speed, enough outside leg/thigh area and pelvis to turn, enough inside leg to hold up the inside shoulder/keep him on the outside aids/provide bend. There is no one answer.

and to whoever wrote that too much outside rein causes shoulder in, if you have enough inside leg you'll get a counterflexed horse..... ask me how I know this, when I thought inside leg to outside rein was the entire answer.

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post

Obviously straightness comes from the whole ride, however if you perpetually ride the horse to have 5 units weight on the outside rein and 2 units weight on the inside rein, and only the inside rein ever releases, the horse will never be straight.

You can't ride the whole horse straight correctly with just the reins, but you can certainly fk it all up by riding "inside leg to outside rein" past all level of reasonability.

The same way you can screw it all up by "adding more leg" everytime you have a question, because it supposedly solves every problem ever, until whatever clinician you finally check in with says you are going too fast and across the ground, and the horse needs to wait and carry.

LEG LEG LEG!!
                                  INSIDE LEG TO OUTSIDE REIN!!!

If you just parrot it all rotely without stopping by "feel" and "judgment" first, you'll have a crooked horse who is rushing.
                                  My response was to a beginner who does not understand contact or dressage. The nuances change as the rider gets experience. They are told that to get them to stop throwing the reins away as they said they were doing. Also the advice to have lessons with someone on the ground to give them the knowledge of what to do next.

Of course the aides happen simultaneously, but the advice to think, write and do of seat then legs then hands, is to get then thinking of back to front and not front to back. Which most riders do not get when trying to do it themselves without learning from an instructor.

A turn is a quarter of a circle. Look where you are going to turn your head, shoulders and hips. To go from a 20m circle dressage riders should be able to do this without the inside rein. It is the outside aides that mean a smaller circle, as I said if they are not in the outside rein, they will go the opposite way.

It all becomes very subtle, not a driving force, until you only have to think where you want to turn, etc, but this person is not starting there. They are starting with a tb raising its head and having no lessons in contact or dressage so you are speaking way too far ahead for what they can understand and do.

As I also said relaxation comes before contact. Let go of the reins. On the training scale straightness is second last before collection. Let this person start finding out how contact works before cramming every lesson you have ever learned in to their head. They need to start somewhere and that somewhere would ideally be with a fantastic instructor on a schoolmaster but that doesn't happen as often as we think.

It was a german instructor yelling at us, 'It is a sin to give away your outside rein' to riders experienced enough to be instructors.

Comment

Working...
                                  X