Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

level by age

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• level by age

I recently read and article about a 6 year old horse competing at third level. A long time ago I was told to expect to progress a year a level. Possibly training and 1st level could be accomplished in one year in a more temperate zone than I enjoy.
    Is the suggestion of it takes a year to train/condition a level (assuming one has the time and coach to put in the time and training) an accurate progression?
    thank you.

Originally posted by colorfan View Post
    I recently read and article about a 6 year old horse competing at third level. A long time ago I was told to expect to progress a year a level. Possibly training and 1st level could be accomplished in one year in a more temperate zone than I enjoy.
    Is the suggestion of it takes a year to train/condition a level (assuming one has the time and coach to put in the time and training) an accurate progression?
    thank you.
    Assuming a sound horse with a good work ethic and a skilled trainer or pro rider, yes that is very reasonable. For an ammy working on their own, or taking a couple of lessons a week without training rides, the progression will likely be slower.

There is a lovely amateur in our barn who competed with her 9 year old draft cross at I1 last year. They have moved up a level a year, every year since Training Level to get to that point, getting solid scores at each level.

She’s a very talented rider, she works hard, and the horse is in a training program. It’s not the average experience but it’s definitely possible.

Comment

The FEI 6yrs old test is 3rd and 4th level movements.

Horses of 7 year of age can compete at PSG, they’ve put that rule because they wanted to protect horses from being pushed too fast, so a 6yrs old doing 3rd is not that out of the ordinary.

BUT, like BigMama1 said, it’s not for everyone nor every horses.
      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.

Comment

Agreed with what was already said. Because she was behind that timeframe (she had a foal) my young mare was not priced like a young horse contender. Since I want her doing Grand Prix into her 20s, I don't care.

My older mare progressed slower when younger, but prior to her non-riding injury which has kept her out, once she got to schooling 3rd level, the basics we had focused on had her schooling well above 3rd level without having to try - she now has all the aids understood through GP work, so it will be about fitness to get there and maintain elasticity, and we may go up more than a level a year once back at it. But she will dictate that.

For a horse who matures earlier than she did, one level a year can be very easy.
        If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
        -meupatdoes

Comment

Yes. With a horse that has some talent, a rider that knows the work (isn't learning alongside the horse), and a consistent training program, it's very doable. Training and 1st as a 4 year old. 1st and 2nd as a 5 year old. 3rd and 4th 1 as a 6 year old. 4th 3 and Dev PSG as a 7 year old. I2/Dev GP as an 8 year old (or much more commonly, small tour as an 8 year old and Dev GP at 9).

Comment

• Original Poster

Just to clarify, its not something I am aiming for, just wondering about the progression. thanks

Comment

Just because something can be done doesn’t mean it should be done. Young minds and bodies are far too fragile to be pushed to 3rd/4th at 6.

This is why so few horses who are stars in the young horse stuff never made GP. Their minds, bodies, or both just can’t take it.

I don’t even sit in mine until age 4.
              Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are.

Comment

Really really depends on horse, rider, and program. Carl Hester speaks very intelligently about this in his book "Real Life Dressage." He does mini case studies on several horses in his program, and talks about the importance of preserving the physical and mental soundness of all horses. He highlights a few young horses who he sees as having tremendous potential - easily showing tempi changes and the beginnings of P&P very very early, and how he is extremely careful not to actually school those movements but, knowing the ease at which the horse can perform them, that horse will likely be able to move up in terms of showing quite quickly. The key thing here I think is that as a very talented, experienced pro rider, Carl himself doesn't need to drill the one-tempis, for example. So he can work, say, a 7 year old in a manner that develops its physical strength appropriately, and then capitalize on the natural talent of the now-physically-strong horse to execute high-level movements quite sparingly (such as in test prep and then the actual test).

For us mere mortals, the amount of schooling we would likely need to do to get the 3rd level movements solidified and reliable is more likely to be far too much for a young horse both mentally and physically.

Comment

Originally posted by kashmere View Post
                  So he can work, say, a 7 year old in a manner that develops its physical strength appropriately, and then capitalize on the natural talent of the now-physically-strong horse to execute high-level movements quite sparingly (such as in test prep and then the actual test).

For us mere mortals, the amount of schooling we would likely need to do to get the 3rd level movements solidified and reliable is more likely to be far too much for a young horse both mentally and physically.
                  This makes sense. I've always wondered why there were so many horses doing 3rd/4th level by the age of 6 when its been said that the back is the last set of joints to fully development around 6 years-old.

I wish I could "audit" a BNT's program for two weeks straight and just ask a million questions to understand things from their perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by mydogs View Post

This makes sense. I've always wondered why there were so many horses doing 3rd/4th level by the age of 6 when its been said that the back is the last set of joints to fully development around 6 years-old.

I wish I could "audit" a BNT's program for two weeks straight and just ask a million questions to understand things from their perspective.
                    No kidding! I really highly recommend the book if you can get your hands on a copy. It's not super in depth, but it is very interesting and an "open" discussion of how a top training program works. For example, he shows conformation pictured of horses at his barn and points out both strengths and weaknesses, and then talks about his plans to individualize each horses' program to best suit their physical development and their temperament. He also shows sequences of movements that are not perfect and talks about correcting them effectively. It's a great read.

Comment

BNTs are in it for the money. It’s how they make a living. But, even the best barns are filled with story after story of horses whose careers ended early because they were pushed too far too fast.

It’s not just dressage. Horses in all disciplines suffer because BNTs and really anyone looking to make a buck prioritizes speed over anything else.

The horses are disposable, like a bicycle, just buy another when it breaks.
                      Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are.

Comment

I'll take "Sweeping Generalizations" for $100, Alex...
                        Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by colorfan View Post
                          thank you.
                          Not really Any horse will take the time that horse needs to move up the levels or peak at a given level.

The young horse classes are not something to judge your horse by, many of them are lame later in life.

Your horse might easily understand flying changes, maybe not. My former mare could passage/school piaffe before she "got" flying changes, A friend of mine showed GP as a 9 year old and then went lame.

You have to listen to your horse's needs, #1. #1. Number one.
                          Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

No kidding....

My mare will be 5 this year. We took it very slowly with her up to now as she is a beast (now above 18hh) and she did not go forward (or could not care less about listening to anyone ). Now she is picking things up lightning fast, so we're working on 1st and a bit of 2nd level - and by me I mean my trainer for the most part.

We're definitely not going to hit 3rd at 6, but that's okay. At her size, I am in no rush. Other younger horses in our barn are definitely more advanced than us, but c'est la vie. It's all horse-dependent.

Comment

If you have a talented horse and a capable rider, it can be done. Some of these horses don't even show at the lower levels - for some horses, the work is very easy, so the trainer puts the basics on them for a couple of years (often starting them at 3.5), builds up strength and confidence, doesn't do a lot of "tricks", then at about 5 years old, they start working on collection - the horse is plenty strong at that point, and if it offers up the work, it is very easy to do 2nd/3rd level, even try some 4th level at 6/6.5.

I sold a nice youngster as a 2 year old - Friesian cross (I use to breed Friesian/WB crosses). His owner is an AA, but a capable one that rides with a good coach. She showed him a couple of times at Training, pretty much skipped the show circuit again until he was 6. Then came out at 2nd and 3rd level - got her bronze medal and was USDF Regional Champion at 2nd two years ago. Showed just a couple of shows to qualify and get her bronze scores, then went to Regionals. Kind of a fun side-story - two of the "boys" I bred were at Regionals that year, both by the same sire, and they won 2nd level and 3rd level Region 7 AA divisions, AND the Equitation Championship. Both were Friesian/WB crosses.

She spends most of the time just doing basics - he is mostly ridden like a Training/First level horse, building strength and fitness. For him, the lateral work and flying changes were super easy. So it isn't like there is a lot of hard training required - it is really about building strength and fitness for the talented young horses. Lots of stretching, lots of transitions, play with collection for a few minutes here and there. Not every horse follows that path, and for some horses that is NOT the right path.

The general rule with a capable horse and rider is a level/year (and Training and First are considered a single level, many pro riders skip Training Level), but reality is, every path is NOT straight. So you might do a level/year, then hit a snag, and spend an extra year at a level. If you go into it thinking - I HAVE to get to the next level - you will have problems. Too many people try to skip the basics, or smooth over something that doesn't work, and it will come back to bite you later on. Every movement ends up being a building block for a higher movement. So if one of those building blocks isn't there, later on, you'll crumble... It is perfectly OK to spend extra time at a level - or at every level!

If you have a talented young horse, the other thing to remember - don't get greedy! Carl Hester points that out too. I've seen a few nice young horses ruined because they were pushed too hard, too soon - they got angry and resentful. It has to be fun and interesting for the horse, and FAIR.

Comment

I again agree with the "it depends" folks.
                                my trainer had a mare who was doing most of 2nd level st 4, with few rides on her. However, she was tight and they kept her to training / 1st and working on relaxation. After she was relaxed they would string together lateral movements which were easy. But they did the right thing by holding back her show progression to get the relaxation she needed to progress all the way up the levels. She showed 4th at 8, and I got to ride her a couple times lately and learned she has gotten far easier to ride as she progressed. Yes, I have learned buttons the way my trainer teaches them and therefore knew how to ask, but her gaits have gotten more rideable, and where she used to feel "stuck" as she hovered above the ground, now she is much easier to get going. It was worth the time for her.

My older mare always had a trot which took more time to develop. Lateral work is easy for her, but it was developing a decent collected trot and uphill balance in trot which took us more time. For her, the lateral work helped in that body development. Where she has 4 tempis and pirouettes, trot is still less advanced. But her piaffe is nearly ready to go. So we should progress faster at higher levels than lower, most likely!

My young mare is basically opposite in her strongest talents. Her trot is easy, but a year and a half into working under saddle, it has been in the last week I have finally felt the mechanics of her hind end working such that I see canter pirouettes in her future. She is all power, less bend, whereas my older mare is all sit and bend, less power.

My TB is between the two, and a 3 year old unstarted version of him would likely progress the fastest! I got him after his racing and eventing careers, so I can't say for sure. He has the best natural balance, best canter by far, and while the youngster will probably exceed him in trot quality eventually, his balance and talent in the trot started out more athletic than she is.
                                If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                                -meupatdoes

Comment

Working...
                                X