Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

We're Back!

We experienced a cyber attack that wiped out the site's content earlier this week via a software vulnerability, but the developers were able to restore everything from backups.

We updated our software to implement available patches and will be making further cosmetic changes to the site to restore it. Performance is slow right now, but by early next week, the developers will have restored a few optimization strategies they usually have in place to keep things percolating smoothly.

Going forward, we will make some changes to the site to limit the number of customizations we implement to the software, so that it is easier to keep current on updates and patches if they are released.

The developers do not believe that this was a "personal" attack, where someone is targeting the Chronicle's site with malicious intent against us specifically. These cyber jerks apparently just cruise the Internet, scanning for known vulnerabilities to attack.

They are confident passwords were not accessed, but even if they were, we store password encrypted, so that should not be an issue. Of course, if anyone has concerns about password security, changing related passwords is always an option for peace of mind.

Please report any glitches in a thread we'll be starting in the Help forum.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

The Maestro Returns ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a trainer in my area who probably weighs 200 lbs, if not more. She rides beautifully, and horses look happy and relaxed with her aboard. NP is a boor who is not worth anyone's angst.
    "She is not fragile like a flower. She is fragile like a bomb."

Comment

• Ceylon Star
      You and your pony are a lovely pair! Both of you look happy and content!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ceylon Star View Post

I was heavier there than I am now, but by no means was I too fat to be on him. I'm short (5'6 on a good day) and broad built, and carry most of my weight in my torso.

But at least I have a quiet and (mostly) independent seat, even with a wrecked leg that has no feeling in it. He is heavy in weight and HEAVY in how he rides. Even an appropriately sized horse is going to be miserable under him.

The big thing that separates him and I is that I work my rear off to better myself and do best by my pony. I try not to have an ego. He is nothing BUT ego and doesn't think he needs to work on improving anything.

I pity him, in a way. I have schizophrenia, so I know how hard it is to believe in something SO strongly, even though it is completely and utterly fantastical. It's difficult to have everyone you encounter tell you that what you're experiencing isn't actually real/true. With how deeply delusional he is it must be rough.
        I think it takes a sociopath - or some -opath/narcissist to not have the feels reading your story (I read it in pieces on page 6 comments). That type of bullying is never okay, and the way it has affected you and scarred you only proves *why*.

There are a lot of different types of people out there.
        Two of those types are..
        - the ones who know all too well their flaws and do everything they can to get past them and make themselves better,
        - the ones who don't believe they have any flaws, so there is nothing to fix or change and instead focus their sites on others.

Type A is almost always a victim to Type B at some point in their life...

Sorry you were a victim to this. It speaks strongly to me I guess because I was much heavier (around 260lbs) when I came back to riding. Of course I started on a draftX, and as I lost weight (now below 200), I worked on my strength and being lighter, and moved up to different horses. Even now though, even with the compliments I get about being a quiet rider and all that, it still deeply affects me, the idea that I might be too heavy for my horse - I've worked myself into a nasty state of anxiety over the idea many times. I never got bullied about my weight. I can't imagine how much harder it would be if I had been.

For the record, you are beautiful and you look very balanced and well matched to your pony.
        "I am but a passenger on this ship"
        -- Stendal (epitaph)

Comment

Thanks J-Lu.

When it disappeared I assumed the shaming page got shut down too, but finding out it simply got set to "secret" was pretty ouch.

if being shamed for being fat wasn't hurtful enough, he continued to call me a woman, at one point going so far as to call me a fat [derogatory term for lesbian starting with D] and suggesting I needed to "save a horse and ride a man" instead. Oof.

By the end of it all, he had messaged me from 3 different fake accounts under various aliases. It seemed that each time I blocked one, he would just make/use another. It confused and hurt me because I hadn't attacked him in any way, and yet he did a damn good job tearing me down anyway. All because he saw my picture on the friends list of someone who had, in fact, been going after him.

Sigh. At least it's in the past now, and at least I am able to share my experiences with those who may not yet have believed the level he was willing to stoop to.

I still don't wish ill of him, even after all that. I just wish he would admit to having a disconnect with reality so he could get the help he so desperately needs.
          Ceylon Star it makes me so angry to read about how this person treated you. Thanks for sharing about your unfortunate interaction with this miserable man so that others can see that public interest in this particular character isn't just perverse fascination with a bad rider with an inane blog, it's wariness of the dressage-related actions of a cruel person who has intentionally hurt members of our community.

And thank you for sharing on this forum more generally. I don't think I've posted directly to you before, but I've read other things you've written on the forum (e.g. the thread linked in your sig line), and your openness on COTH about trans* issues has helped me to better support a young trans family member who was in a tough position. I hope you know that you've made a difference in lives you probably didn't even know existed. Your light shines far brighter and reaches farther than any mean-spirited Facebook page ever could!

Comment

• Originally posted by x-halt-salute View Post

Ceylon Star it makes me so angry to read about how this person treated you. Thanks for sharing about your unfortunate interaction with this miserable man so that others can see that public interest in this particular character isn't just perverse fascination with a bad rider with an inane blog, it's wariness of the dressage-related actions of a cruel person who has intentionally hurt members of our community.

And thank you for sharing on this forum more generally. I don't think I've posted directly to you before, but I've read other things you've written on the forum (e.g. the thread linked in your sig line), and your openness on COTH about trans* issues has helped me to better support a young trans family member who was in a tough position. I hope you know that you've made a difference in lives you probably didn't even know existed. Your light shines far brighter and reaches farther than any mean-spirited Facebook page ever could!
            Thank you, that's incredibly kind! I'm glad I have been of use to you, and others, with that thread. It was all I could hope would come from baring my soul like that, so I'm happy to hear it paid off, haha.

Okay I'm half kidding, it wasn't really any great feat to bare all, I was happy to do so. Haha! If it had been so terrible, I would have had the mods nip it in the butt when BTDT put it all out there when she started the thread

It truly was a much more positive thread than I ever could have imagined, and I got to know some really lovely people because of it!
            Curious about Trans* issues? Feel free to ask!
            Saving Pennies To Get My Own Canoe
            FAQs

Comment

Be careful. I never added him, but NP got his hands on a picture of me getting a pony ride on my pony during my first time on him after he got restarted, and NP used it as an example of "fat ugly women who should not be riding horses" (newsflash: not a woman!) and smeared me on social media. He messaged me from a fake account, claiming to be NP's manager or PR person, trying to get my personal info to "send me a personal apology for Nick's alcohol-induced behaviour", and when I declined he then started attacking me telling me I deserve to be beat and r**ed for "subjecting horses to my fat a** and abusive hands". I'll attach the photo in question to the bottom of this post to show just how ridiculous these accusations were.

I had never said a negative thing about him, but was friends with someone who was very publicly vocal about how ridiculous he is, and unfortunately he went through her friends list looking for material and, unfortunately, Facebook allows non-friends to see anyone's profile picture and cover photo/header, which is how he got my photo. Sigh.

He is an extremely toxic and delusional individual and is happy to drag anyone through the mud for any little thing.
              [edit] I don't see a single thing wrong with your picture. Just a happy person on a happy pony. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, I know it can be very painful to be talked about that way.
              Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 27, 2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Just caught up on this thread. I remember this guy from when I was more active on here YEARS ago. The appy, Chevy, was what triggered my memory.

In my opinion, this guy, like a lot of delusional narcissists, actually has a lot of self-loathing. It's easier for him to lash out than look in, so that's the defense mechanism he's established to avoid dealing with whatever it is he doesn't want to deal with.

It's a toxic existence and anyone who associates with him will get sucked into that toxicity as well.

People who are truly happy with themselves do not feel the need to tear others down. Likewise, they don't feel the need to constantly prove themselves by touting their own accomplishments. These are the behaviors of someone filled with insecurity and doubt.

I would say I hope he gets help, but it's unlikely he'll ever think he needs help. This kind of person will always blame others for their problems.

So, I'll say that I hope those he comes into contact with are able to see the truth about this person before he's able to prey on their own insecurities (since we all have them).

Comment

• Unfortunately the internet can make these people millionaires and more. There are plenty of examples. So all of them keep at it in hopes of striking it rich.

Comment

• Just read through his FB pages and watched videos of him riding.All I can say is "WOW". He scares me both as a "trainer" and as a human being Some of his FB posts are downright scary.
                    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Comment

• Ceylon Star ,

I am so sorry for what you experienced at the hands of our least favorite cyber bully.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us in the linked thread, I really got a lot out of reading that.

And the photo of you on your pony is delightful.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silk View Post
                        Just read through his FB pages and watched videos of him riding.All I can say is "WOW". He scares me both as a "trainer" and as a human being Some of his FB posts are downright scary.
                        Yes, and he has taken his behaviour out of the SM and harrassed people he felt he knew online, off line in their homes. Including people who had absolutely no knowlege of him, but who had a name similar to someone he imagined had wronged him online. Yes, he's very, very scary.
                        Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnotherRound View Post

Yes, and he has taken his behaviour out of the SM and harrassed people he felt he knew online, off line in their homes. Including people who had absolutely no knowlege of him, but who had a name similar to someone he imagined had wronged him online. Yes, he's very scary.
                          This is just one of the many reasons why I don't use my last name on social media. Between the psychopaths, my sexually abusive uncle, and simply not wanting to be easily connected to my online presence, it just isn't worth it to me to use my full legal name. Too many crazies in the world.
                          FAQs

Comment

• Originally posted by BigMama1 View Post

Even my 22-year-old saint of a PSG schoolmaster could not be ridden by a beginner. That is perhaps the most out of touch of his many ludicrous comments.
                            Well, perhaps he was the exception that proves the rule,but my first dressage trainer's GP horse WAS a safe beginner ride, but.....for a beginner he would quietly W/T and maybe canter. Anything more, you had to give the aids correctly. Anything else, he simply ignored. But her PSG horse.....even at 1st level he had been strictly a pro's ride. He had originally been bought for a student, and they hadn't done blood work on the PPE. We all figured later he had probably been drugged. He was a gorgeous TB, but double linebred Nasrullah - hot hot hot!!!
                            Last edited by Belowthesalt; Jan. 12, 2020, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Belowthesalt View Post

Well, perhaps he was the exception that proves the rule,but my first dressage trainer's GP horse WAS a safe beginner ride, but.....for a beginner he would quietly W/T and maybe canter. Anything more, you had to give the aids correctly. Anything else, he simply ignored. But her PSG horse.....even at 1st level he had been strictly a pro's ride. He had originally been bought for a student, and they hadn't done blood work on the PPE. We all figured later he had probably been drugged. He was a gorgeous TB, but double linebred Nasrullah - not hot hot!!!
                              My TB is very hot, but was a great horse for me to put my mom on when she hadn't cantered in 20 years for her first canter.

I have not let her on him since he became more trained. Not because of a fear of misbehavior, but rather because he tries to be perfect for her. And if my 70-something mom shifts at a halt and touches him with her calf lightly, if she has accidentally aided for an extended canter he will do it. A well trained upper level horse should be doing what's requested, even if it's not what the rider intended, in my opinion. I wouldn't want one to just ignore beginners.
                              If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                              -meupatdoes

Comment

• Originally posted by netg View Post

My TB is very hot, but was a great horse for me to put my mom on when she hadn't cantered in 20 years for her first canter.

I have not let her on him since he became more trained. Not because of a fear of misbehavior, but rather because he tries to be perfect for her. And if my 70-something mom shifts at a halt and touches him with her calf lightly, if she has accidentally aided for an extended canter he will do it. A well trained upper level horse should be doing what's requested, even if it's not what the rider intended, in my opinion. I wouldn't want one to just ignore beginners.
                                Well, what I mean is that he was a quiet ride that a beginner could do basic work on, but if they were unbalanced or gave over-the-top aids, he would not overreact in a way that would endanger them. He was only ridden occasionally by less experienced riders and then, only in lesson situations. I got to do my first flying changes on him, and got coached through doing a couple of canter pirouettes. He was a wonderful horse, 17.2 hh, mostly TB. When her children were college age, she put both FEI level horses for sale, saying she would keep whichever one didn't sell first, and we all just said, well, you know which one will sell first, and he did,
                                Last edited by Belowthesalt; Jan. 12, 2020, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Belowthesalt View Post

Well, perhaps he was the exception that proves the rule,but my first dressage trainer's GP horse WAS a safe beginner ride, but.....for a beginner he would quietly W/T and maybe canter. Anything more, you had to give the aids correctly. Anything else, he simply ignored. But her PSG horse.....even at 1st level he had been strictly a pro's ride. He had originally been bought for a student, and they hadn't done blood work on the PPE. We all figured later he had probably been drugged. He was a gorgeous TB, but double linebred Nasrullah - hot hot hot!!!
                                  My old girl is very very safe indeed, and anyone who can WTC competently can ride her (even me lol), but the forwardness alone, and her big movement would bounce a beginner right out of the tack.

Comment

Java says thanks for the compliment, and that we look a lot better together these days! He's come a long way from the anxious abused little man, and is loving his new career as a therapeutic riding pony 9 months of the year! On his 3rd year now. Then him and I get to do our own thing during the summer.

But the NP thing made me not want to ride for a long time. Almost a year at the time. Then just when I got riding again, I had a freak accident and wrecked my leg, and then felt guilty about trying to ride him with a useless left leg (I have no feeling from the hip down due to nerve damage from the impact) which then kept me from riding regularly for another year. Then I had a coach who told me he was worthless and would never be able to do anything useful, which then led to a period of just random bum-fumbling. Sigh. But we are in a good place now with a coach who helps me ride him in a way that works for him as an individual and doesn't make me feel useless with my bum leg (in fact she has gotten us to where my numb leg is more effective than my feeling leg, by some miracle. Haha), and he spends his weekdays helping people who need him the most. I ride most days either on the lunch break or in the evening when classes are over and the other exercise riders are done, and lesson once a week where we are introducing some 3rd level movements just to keep his cheeky brain engaged instead of looking for ways to cause trouble, haha. We dabble in just about everything though, not just dressage. His favourite thing is driving, actually.

But even now, years later, I still sometimes think of the NP crap and how awful he made me feel, and I don't ride for a few days because I worry that maybe there was some merit to his words and maybe I am too big for ponypants. And then I feel stupid for letting myself give him that much credit and I eventually go out and ride again. But it's tough. That sort of nastiness really takes a toll.
                                    All I see Is two handsome hunks!
                                    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Originally posted by Laurierace View Post

All I see Is two handsome hunks!
                                      I appreciate the crap out of you ❤
                                      FAQs

Comment

• Amongst my outrage and my love of those pics you posted....

Where did you purchase those rust breeches from?
                                        Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Lu View Post
                                          Amongst my outrage and my love of those pics you posted....

Where did you purchase those rust breeches from?
                                          They're Ovation Men's Euro Seat Knee Patch breeches. The ONLY pair of rust breeches I have ever managed to find in "fluffy boy" size. They are really flattering and a nice mid rise, with enough room for my hips and thighs. The ONLY thing I wish was different is I wish they had sock bottoms instead of velcro bottoms, because I'm short and have to roll my breeches in order to put my boots on, and the velcro just adds bulk. But other than that they are super duper comfy and holding out way better than my previous Jeffries, TuffRider, or Fuller Fillies did (and they fit me much better than those other brands).

I do believe they make their women's breeches in the rust as well, and I think I saw the rust in a full seat version too at one point. Worth checking out if you're into the rust!
                                          FAQs

Comment

Working...
                                          X