Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

It's time for a new location for USDF finals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AZ TD View Post
    Great SW Equestrian Center near Houston TX: Sitting on 65 acres in the Cinco Ranch area of Katy, TX; the equestrian center offers six barns with 650 permanent stalls and space for an additional 500 temporary stalls, three covered arenas, three covered warm-up/schooling rings, two lunging pads and four outdoor arenas. Three of the four outdoor arenas have world-class ESI and Otto Sport footing.

Rancho Murietta near Sacramento CA:
    • Five Indoor Arenas
    • Cattle Facilities
    • 10 Outdoor Arenas
    • Two Cutting Arenas
    • 900 Stalls
    • 3000 Bleacher Seats
    • VIP Seating
    The Houston facility is nice, maybe not as fancy as some others. 2 of the indoor arenas can hold 2 rings so there can be 5 indoor rings. The regional champs and show runs 5 rings, I think 4 inside and one outside.

Comment

it comes down to money..........they would have to pay to fly all the USDF people to a new location and house them.....and they would not have the Equitation championship "decoration leftovers" to use......having juniors there will complicate things.......ugh!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MyssMyst View Post

This is exactly how it works! Last year, I qualified for training and 1st. This year, I qualified at 2nd. I just picked which two levels I wanted to show at nationals. This coming year, my qualifications at 2nd are good. I can choose to go either first or third, and show whichever level I qualify in and feel confident in.
        I think you will find that there would be a lot of (IMO legitimate) pushback against a system that would allow a horse/rider qualified for the third level finals to show in the first level championship class.
        We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
        -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post

I think you will find that there would be a lot of (IMO legitimate) pushback against a system that would allow a horse/rider qualified for the third level finals to show in the first level championship class.
          I actually think this is extremely common, not just in dressage, but at any other show where you have to qualify. Many of the people showing at the BN AECs have been showing at Novice the entire year.
          http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

"There definitely has been some concerns voiced from the west coast people, but there is enough support and entries from the east coast to drown out the west coast concerns up to this point."

Yeah, that's fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Mondo View Post
              "There definitely has been some concerns voiced from the west coast people, but there is enough support and entries from the east coast to drown out the west coast concerns up to this point."

Yeah, that's fair.
              I think the West Coast should secede from the USDF nation. Let them have the champions of the East Coast and know that they aren't champions of everything. There are worse things than being stuck in, say, SoCal's dressage market.
              The armchair saddler
              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post

I think the West Coast should secede from the USDF nation. Let them have the champions of the East Coast and know that they aren't champions of everything. There are worse things than being stuck in, say, SoCal's dressage market.
                I'm in! After all CDS does predate USDF; just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by atlatl View Post

I'm in! After all CDS does predate USDF; just sayin'
                  And another thing!

Why did any West Coaster send their money or their horse to these championships after it became clear that the promised rotation was not going to happen? Just wondering.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

And another thing!

Why did any West Coaster send their money or their horse to these championships after it became clear that the promised rotation was not going to happen? Just wondering.
                    Just speculation on my part, but I'd guess they wanted to go for the title, whether for sales purposes or just to measure/document their achievement. It's not like there was a west coast alternative to go to, right?
                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I think they should too - and potentially discuss joining up with ODS and some of the other Western groups to create a Western States Dressage Federation!

Comment

Just speculation on my part, but I'd guess they wanted to go for the title, whether for sales purposes or just to measure/document their achievement. It's not like there was a west coast alternative to go to, right?
                        Oh, I think one could go to San Diego and have one's ass handed to one if one were seeking adequately-good competition, competition marked by a bruised ego and a depleted wallet. There is some quality to be found there.

I'm just surprised that the DQ demographic (of all the showing demographics out there) would stand for this flavor of mistreatment.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Oh, I think one could go to San Diego and have one's ass handed to one if one were seeking adequately-good competition, competition marked by a bruised ego and a depleted wallet. There is some quality to be found there.

I'm just surprised that the DQ demographic (of all the showing demographics out there) would stand for this flavor of mistreatment.
                          LOL, I guess this is very non-PC but I think it's often less about the seeking of good competition and more about the particular ribbon/title in this case.

I don't know much (anything) about west coast facilities or culture. But if there is a place out there that can host a finals, then it surprises me as well that there hasn't been a bigger push for it.
                          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I don't know much (anything) about west coast facilities or culture. But if there is a place out there that can host a finals, then it surprises me as well that there hasn't been a bigger push for it.
                            IF? Yes, there are facilities out here that can host a finals, and there has been a huge push for several years now, but USDF is stonewalling us.

Our most likely candidate is Rancho Murieta Equestrian Center, 5 indoor rings (including one with stadium seating, VIP seating area, overhead viewing office, attached office, etc), permanent stabling (I think they can stable 900 horses, and about half of that is permanent barns), and another 10 outdoor arenas. It hosts CDIs, USDF Regionals, a World Cup jumper qualifier, and a ton of other shows. Footing is easily swapped out for various disciplines.

USDF has refused to consider it - they came to CA once, and they chose to look at a site that everyone told them was NOT the right location (Thermal, which has a huge jumper circuit out in the desert). We all felt like it was a brush-off - USDF can say they "went out west to check out the lay of the land" - but they really didn't listen to any of the Region 7 people.

There are a few other locations that may, or may not be big enough. Los Angeles Equestrian Center (hosted the LA Olympics) can handle about 350 horses, but only has one indoor arena (several outdoor rings). Del Mar Horse Park can handle about 400 horses, also only one indoor arena, but several outdoor rings. So, depends on how much of a regular show is needed to support the Finals, as to how big a facility they need. Our Annual show/Regional Championship show is regularly over 300 horses, and both MEC and LAEC handle the show just fine.

There are several other facilities, but those are the most likely venues.

Comment

And another thing!

One I spoke with, basically asking her the same question you pose, was an amateur of the "lady of leisure" type who wanted the "experience" (that's a real quote) and had the time and money to make an adventure of it. She was gone from home a month; took a week to drive there, spent a week in advance of the show acclimating, spent a week at the show and another week driving back.

Another was Lehua Custer, the story of whom is well publicized, rides an awesome horse with an awesome owner of modest means. Someone set up a Go-Fund-Me page that collected enough to fly the team to the show and back. I suspect part of the motivation behind this particular case is that the team was super competitive as in very likely to win; and they did. I think this move was the start of Lehua's rise in visibility and say GOOD FOR HER!!

Rumor has it that others with deep pockets are willing to play nice with USDF in hopes that the show will eventually rotate west.

Rumor also has it that USDF reps at our regional championships were pressuring the CDS officials to promote the show to the point that during winner photos, riders were point blank asked "next stop the Nationals right?"
                              Last edited by atlatl; Dec. 10, 2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post

USDF has refused to consider it - they came to CA once, and they chose to look at a site that everyone told them was NOT the right location (Thermal, which has a huge jumper circuit out in the desert). We all felt like it was a brush-off - USDF can say they "went out west to check out the lay of the land" - but they really didn't listen to any of the Region 7 people.

In fairness, the footing at Thermal is pretty wonderful. The last time I showed there it poured rain the entire weekend and the footing was great. I think the real problem with Thermal is the lack of infrastructure in the way of hotels and restaurants for a big crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by atlatl View Post

In fairness, the footing at Thermal is pretty wonderful. The last time I showed there it poured rain the entire weekend and the footing was great. I think the real problem with Thermal is the lack of infrastructure in the way of hotels and restaurants for a big crowd.
                                  I have found that what a show needs and what locals think it needs are two entirely different things. I've seen people bitterly disappointed that a committee didn't chose their showgrounds when the showgrounds never submitted a bid in the first place. My guess is Thermal was the only facility that submitted a bid (that was in range). You aren't going to fly out and look at locations before you know if they're interested in your business and if you can afford it.
                                  http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Kind of off-topic, but I wish the US finals didn't have a citizenship (as opposed to residency) requirement. I can see the policy reasons for it. It just kind of sucks, since it's a different requirement than the regional finals. (Griping as a Canadian living in California).
                                    Mr. Sandman
                                    sand me a man
                                    make him so sandy
                                    the sandiest man

Comment

Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post

Our most likely candidate is Rancho Murieta Equestrian Center, 5 indoor rings (including one with stadium seating, VIP seating area, overhead viewing office, attached office, etc), permanent stabling (I think they can stable 900 horses, and about half of that is permanent barns), and another 10 outdoor arenas. It hosts CDIs, USDF Regionals, a World Cup jumper qualifier, and a ton of other shows. Footing is easily swapped out for various disciplines.

There are a few other locations that may, or may not be big enough. Los Angeles Equestrian Center (hosted the LA Olympics) can handle about 350 horses, but only has one indoor arena (several outdoor rings). Del Mar Horse Park can handle about 400 horses, also only one indoor arena, but several outdoor rings. So, depends on how much of a regular show is needed to support the Finals, as to how big a facility they need. Our Annual show/Regional Championship show is regularly over 300 horses, and both MEC and LAEC handle the show just fine.

There are several other facilities, but those are the most likely venues.
                                      I'm going to bookmark this on both ends with my usual - I DO THINK THIS SHOW SHOULD ROTATE.

Not for nothing but isn't Rancho Murieta basically next door to you? Your local facility is always going to be where you want to go if you think it can manage the show.

They run pretty big shows in SoCal and everyone can't seem to shut up about the great weather, so rain should not be an issue - thus the need for endless covered arenas not being such a thing.

I don't know if anyone posting here knows the answer to this question - but I think I've asked this before - when was the last time any western US facility even bid on this show? It's hard for the USDF to move the show if no one else even shows any interest in running it. Get your show managers to send it bids and demand a reason why it doesn't move as promised if they are not selected.

It's easy to complain on a internet BB about broken promises, it's a lot harder to do the work to get it done.

And as promised - my closing disclaimer - I DO THINK THIS SHOW SHOULD ROTATE.

Comment

Thinking about large west coast facilities (caveat - I am a HJ exhibitor, for whatever that's worth, or not). And I have not read the entire thread...

A new management group has taken over the Thermal, CA facility and has put a LOT of money into improvements, including footing, bathrooms, stabling, covers for horses and people... No indoor rings though. https://deserthorsepark.com

South Point in Las Vegas. Once in, you never even have to go outside as the hotel, stalls, and competition area is all housed under one roof. Three indoor rings and 1200 stalls. Friends who have gone to the USHJA Finals there have raved about how nice it is. Might have to commit to a multiple-year gig as it's pretty heavily used. https://southpointarena.com/equestrian-center

Galway (Temecula, CA) has no indoor rings and, the last time I was there, in May, still had a hefty population of rocks. Cue large vet bill and end of show season.

Oaks, AKA Blenheim (San Juan Capistrano, CA). Lovely facility. Lots of (canvas and thin wood) stalls. Covered arena for an extra fee. Tends to drain well--not great while it's raining, but OK pretty quickly thereafter.

LAEC (Burbank, CA) - one large covered ring in which you can set up two side-by-side dressage rings. Outdoor areas (stabling, public spaces) can be a slimy mess when it rains.
                                        Last edited by Peggy; Dec. 10, 2019, 10:08 PM. Reason: Typos
                                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

• Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post

What about all of us in the West (about 40% of the membership is out west!) who have to pay hand-over-foot every year to go to the East Coast for KY Finals? And ride in horrific conditions that neither they nor their horses have ever been exposed to?

But that isn't really true - I know Region 7 has tried several times to get the Finals moved here - we have several locations - Belowthesalt names a few here:

I'd add Del Mar to the mix, although reality is, Rancho Murieta is probably the best bet with 4 covered competition arenas (one stadium type), a covered warm up as well as MANY outdoor rings, permanent stabling and temperate weather. And heated restrooms, a hotel across the street, a conference center on the grounds, it is an amazing facility. I think it was in the 70s the week of Finals at Rancho Murieta... But - USDF has refused to even consider any of those locations, so essentially, no other show is ALLOWED to put in a bid.

I don't think people understand the frustration and anger going on in the West over USDF's total disregard toward a huge part of their membership. It isn't just Finals, it is almost every program they run - and their response over and over and over is "GMOs can run programs too". Well, duh, and we do - but why should we pay the same dues as the East Coast when USDF doesn't serve us equitably? And how can you call a competition a national Finals when almost half your membership can't access the show due to distance, cost, and weather? And how can USDf call this a "central location" - have they ever looked at a map of this country? And WHO wants to go show in sleet and freezing weather? For riders and horses from the West (or Florida), this is inhumane conditions - our horses are not accustomed to it, nor are our riders.

Yes, it is time to rotate, and yes the West was lied to by USDF. There was no intent to ever rotate the Finals. It was just a lie to get support from a large contingency of the membership. And they wonder why membership is falling rapidly?
                                          You are not being ignored. I have been going to the Convention for quite a few years now, and every year there is a discussion about finding a place out west. Various facilities have been visited.
                                          take heart in the fact that the NEW Vice President, Kevin Reinig, is from California and has been involved in the search for a western venue. One of the factors leading me (and other I know) to vote for him was the fact that he IS from the west.

Comment

Working...
                                          X