Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

1539 Hatchaway Bridge Road 100

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thorowgood high wither

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorowgood high wither

Hi COTHers, I’m currently looking at the thorowgood t8 GP saddle for my wide thoroughbred but I’m having a hard time deciding if he needs the high wither version or the regular. My main concern is that he will need a medium wide/wide gullet and I’m worried it will sit too low on his withers with the regular version. Anyone have experience with these saddles that can help me decide which would work best for him?
  • Original Poster

Comment

I sell these saddles. I do not often recommend the HW because they normally have plenty of clearance. However, for your guy, I would to be safe.
      Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
      www.thesaddlefits.com
      Society of Master Saddlers Qualified Fitter

Comment

I have the Kent and Master HW and it doesn't seem to be an extra-high pommel, so I don't think there's really a downside to going that way vs. getting the regular and risking not having enough clearance.

Comment

i have the T4 which is ,i believe,the equi -suede version of the T8.i have a high withered OTTB myself and my T4 is the standard version,i have good wither clearance with the red /wide gullet plate in.

Comment

I used to have the T8 regular. You don't need the high wither unless he's an extreme shark fin. They are great saddles for the price point and fit most TBs very well. The gullet is very wide, so you probably don't even need the wide gullet model either.
            "Do what you can't do"

Comment

I have a horse with giant withers & wish (as does my fitter) my Kent & masters (same plates & tree) was high wither. I can make it work with a half pad, but would recommend if the horse really does have serious withers, go ahead & get the high version.

​​
              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

My saddle fitter told me she didn't like how the high wither fits. She said she finds them difficult to fit. I asked because I have a thoroughbred but she said if I went with a T8, we would be fine with the regular one.

Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

I’ve heard that the high wither has a tendency to rock back and forth, does anyone have this problem? Also, thank you for your replies!

Comment

I am assuming if the saddle was rocking, it was not fitted correctly. Either the wrong shape front to back or the wrong tree size. I have not had that problem.

The panels are different from the regular version. They have more if a dropped panel and deeper rear gusset which I think from the pictures would be appropriate for your horse.
                    Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
                    www.thesaddlefits.com

Comment

Here is a great summary of a study on tree width. Going wider is not the solution.

https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2019/12/...AgqZuAgfneZ0e0
                      Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
                      www.thesaddlefits.com

Comment

Working...
                      X