Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumpster Diving at USDF Finals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumpster Diving at USDF Finals

Went to throw out some trash in the parking lot and found a beautiful wool award cooler in the trash can. Must have been left over from the H/J show the week before as the award was for a hunter class. We checked it over and nothing was wrong with it. I am only somewhat embarrassed to say that I pulled it out of the trash and kept it. I'll probably get it cleaned and donate it to my barn. Maybe I'll use a seam ripper to take off the award lettering. There was some other stuff in the trash like brushes but no way am I using mystery grooming tools on my horse!

This sort of goes along with a conversation I had with my dressage instructor who said she got a bunch of wraps and other supplies after a show when people just left everything and shipped out.

Is this a thing now that people just pitch what they don't want? Or leave it? Very puzzling trend, but... one woman's trash is another woman's treasure etc etc.

Score! for you.

I cannot imagine what was going through the mind of whoever tossed that out.
    I guess you can have too much of a Good Thing. Or money...

Kinda reminds me of Trash Day in a tony suburb when I was a kid.
    Not unusual for perfectly good pieces of pricey furniture, clothing, etc to be left on the curbs.
    Then the less-privileged would drive through & glean before the collection the next day.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

I would guess more likely it was left behind (by accident or on purpose) and the facility tossed it out as they cleaned up for the next show.

Not likely people are buying brushes and such just to toss them out at the end of a show. More likely things get forgotten in the rush to pack and leave after a long show.

Comment

I'd be putting it on my horse and saying "See what my horse won?" Just kidding. Score!

Comment

I expect that big venues hire a cleaning crew for the final sweep and honestly they aren't going to have time energy or horse knowledge to care about these items. Maybe if it was something generally useful like a lawn chair or a kids hoody they'd just take it home. But by the time the general cleaners are in, the show organization would be gone. No one to return things to.

I can totally see leaving things behind if you had a big team and multiple owners and grooms.

It's possible the winner of that cooler is distraught they lost it. I bet you could find them online and offer it to them before you tip out the stitches!

Comment

Don't be embarrassed. Think of it as being environmentally friendly by saving a perfectly good item from adding to landfill!

Personally, I probably would have picked the brushes too and just given them a strong bleach treatment.

Comment

We once got 12 bales of really nice hay when a big show moved out of a facility and they were left. Full bales of really nice stuff.
              http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I once resodded my backyard with the leftover "turf" from a big jumper show. It wasn't a huge yard, but still...
                Last edited by GetSpotted; Nov. 18, 2019, 08:04 PM.

Comment

One of my previous BOs would throw out decent stuff all the time. I found a nice bridle and girth in the garbage; took them home, cleaned them up and sold them on consignment at the tack shop.

As an avid thrift store shopper, if there were shows near me, I'd take a ride over there afterwards and check it out. It's an adventure digging around for stuff....you never know what you'll find!

Comment

I have done stable manager at rated shows. You would be surprised what people throw out. Usually ribbons and awards, but grooming tools, shipping boots have also been found. How do you ship home without shipping boots.

It is so much fun to go buy the latest thing and show the people at the tack store how much you have to spend.
                    _\\]
                    -- * > hoopoe
                    Procrastinate NOW
                    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Originally posted by hoopoe View Post
                      How do you ship home without shipping boots.
                      They most likely shipped home wrapped with a poultice or such underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by hoopoe View Post
                        I have done stable manager at rated shows. You would be surprised what people throw out. Usually ribbons and awards, but grooming tools, shipping boots have also been found. How do you ship home without shipping boots.

:
                        You buy new, fancier ones at the show?

Comment

Brushes can be sanitized in a bleach solution, and left in the sun to dry. Of course some brushes aren't worth the trouble.
                          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

There's a woman at our barn who sadly had to put her horse down a year ago, but she's left everything and has not responded to BO about coming to get her 3 trunks! We finally opened them up a few weeks ago and found unopened poultice, shampoos, wormers, bran mash, new wireless clippers, 3 unopened tubes of surpass, all kinds of first aid things. We finally got on the BO and were like, she needs to come get her stuff or we should donate it to the local college or therapeutic riding program! We couldn't believe someone would just leave so much new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by EVneo View Post
                              There's a woman at our barn who sadly had to put her horse down a year ago, but she's left everything and has not responded to BO about coming to get her 3 trunks! We finally opened them up a few weeks ago and found unopened poultice, shampoos, wormers, bran mash, new wireless clippers, 3 unopened tubes of surpass, all kinds of first aid things. We finally got on the BO and were like, she needs to come get her stuff or we should donate it to the local college or therapeutic riding program! We couldn't believe someone would just leave so much new stuff.
                              I can believe it. When you have to put a horse down, sometimes just going to the barn is heartbreaking.

Instead of taking/donating her property without her consent, why don't you all pitch in and buy it from her; it might help with any vet bills.

Comment

Originally posted by atlatl View Post

I can believe it. When you have to put a horse down, sometimes just going to the barn is heartbreaking.

Instead of taking/donating her property without her consent, why don't you all pitch in and buy it from her; it might help with any vet bills.

She might just be unable to face the task of going through the remnants of her horseowning Life.
                                Grief is very individual.
                                At least BO could leave one last message advising of boarders' intent to buy the stuff or if she prefers, donate.
                                Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

Originally posted by atlatl View Post

She might just be unable to face the task of going through the remnants of her horseowning Life.
                                  Grief is very individual.
                                  At least BO could leave one last message advising of boardets' intent to buy the stuff or if she prefers, donate.
                                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004

Comment

I can understand not wanting to deal with tack after a loss. I would certainly contact owner (registered mail) and say you want to donate the items.
                                    _\\]
                                    -- * > hoopoe
                                    Procrastinate NOW
                                    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Cool find My endurance horses often sport a scrim sheet that says USEF Young Horse Nationals 5 Year Old Champion because the barn I used to work at accidentally put it in the dryer and it now was Arab sized instead of WB sized lol

I am the queen of leaving stuff behind (I really, really don't do it on purpose!) so hopefully all of my stuff found it's way into happy homes lol.
                                      Wouldst thou like the taste of butter and pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

I think it’s pretty shameful that perfectly good items are being thrown in the trash at the end of shows. I’m happy to hear that people are able to divert these things from the landfill. Congrats on your find OP! I definitely would pull a cooler out too if I came across it.

Would it really be that hard to donate or resell an item you’ve won that you don’t want, if it’s in good condition? There are plenty of equestrians out there that could make use of them. Even cheaper items like ribbons can often be reused. I think it would be more polite to return it to the show organizer if you don’t need or want another ribbon.

Comment

Working...
                                        X