Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty sure I’m trying to reinvent the wheel or something.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty sure I’m trying to reinvent the wheel or something.

I got bored driving home across the desolate snow swept plains today, so got to thinking about helping me, and others run through checklists as we ride. Made sense to link it to the letters in a short arena..some are simple

H heels
    E elbows
    A abs
    B breathe
    F forward

C, M and K I’m currently drawing blank, any ideas, I’m sure this has been done before..
    "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

C commit, as in ride like you mean it!
    M movement, don't be static, move with the horse
    K kind, as in be kind to your horse and yourself

Comment

Winner right there
      _\\]
      -- * > hoopoe
      Procrastinate NOW
      Introverted Since 1957

Comment

A Fat Bay Mare Can Hardly Ever Kick, or something to that effect, is what I learned as a kid...

Comment

I really like C = commit, but alternatively, C = corners - ride your corners to set up the next movement.
          "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by DinkyDonk View Post
            A Fat Bay Mare Can Hardly Ever Kick, or something to that effect, is what I learned as a kid...
            I think OP is looking to use the letters as a means of reminding oneself regarding key points of riding, not trying to figure out how to remember the letters' order. So as you are going along, each time you pass "B" you consciously think about your breath.

Comment

C=core? Kind of a repeat of "abs" but heaven knows I need plenty of reminders. Or how about "center" ? Center yourself in the saddle, you weight across your seat bones and in your stirrups, etc. It's a stretch, but how about M=thuMbs? I struggle with keeping my thumbs up and the word has a strong "mmm" quality. K=kinetic energy; like "forward" but another thing where me and my guy need a lot of reminders. Or "knees"? I tend to either grip with my knee so my weight doesn't flow down the leg or let the knee flex and the heel swing back.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MissAriel View Post
                I really like C = commit, but alternatively, C = corners - ride your corners to set up the next movement.
                Mmm, both good, corners might win...

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

• Original Poster

Aha, M could also be mindful, of each moment.

Comment

I would say c=contact.

Instead of f for forward I would use m for (motor or more) and then have F be finesse (or feel).

I like knees for K as mentioned above - don’t linch, relax, check where they are (in line, too far forward, too far back, turned out, etc).

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by DinkyDonk View Post
                      This is more of a checklist for as you ride, rather than trying to remember these random letters.

Comment

What about C=calm?

Comment

I submit for your approval:

Connection
                          Marching
                          Knees out of the kneerolls, for the love of all that is holy why do I forget that so frequently

Although the last of those is a bit of a mouthful.

Comment

M could be mantra

Comment

• Original Poster

Looks like we could make a bunch for some letters and switch them out regularly to keep it fresh.

Comment

I like corners. Especially when passing C you are going to be working on a corner, either riding deep, finding a 3/4 line, or riding towards C to turn down centerline.
                                Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

All King Edwards Horses Can Make Big Fences. Well, that's what I was taught.

Oops sorry on a re-read I now realised that is not what you meant.

Comment

I like C for Corners

My contributions:
                                    M - Maintain rhythm
                                    K - Keep a feel

KBC thanks for the idea!
                                    One can never have too many tools

My mnemonic came from the non-riding husband of a friend & has stuck with me over 30yrs:
                                    A​​​​​​ll
                                    F​​at
                                    B​​​​​​oys
                                    M​​​​​​others
                                    C​​​​​​an
                                    H​​​​​​elp
                                    E​​​​​​lephants
                                    K​​​​​​ill

*friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Working...
                                    X