Sport Horse Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

100_7261

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Judge goes off course

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge goes off course

In my many years of showing, this hasn't happened until this season - and it's happened twice! I'm curious if this has happened to others and how they've handled it. I rode the leg yield L to M, to have the judge ring the bell and tell me it's I to M (first, 2). I knew it was L to M, but can you argue the judge and stick you your guns? Or do you ride it as they think it's supposed to be and take the score that comes your way?

What did the score sheet have listed as the movement listed? If it happened the second time, I would be inclined to ask to confirm with the score sheet directives after the bell is rang.

Comment

The test is right in front of them - or at least on the score sheet in front of the scribe. So should be easy to check in the moment. I would politely ask if they are sure - if they insisted it was I to M, I would not argue during the test but I would speak to the steward, and possibly fill out one of the evaluation forms for licensed officials (Can be found by searching "Members Confidential Evaluation of Judges, Stewards, Technical Delegates and Course Designers" on the USEF site.)
      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

IIRC, nothing happens at "I" in First 1 or First 2. And there is more than a little difference between L and I (24 meters!)

That movement is a coefficient, too:

FIRST LEVEL TEST 2
        4. L-M Leg yield right. Regularity and quality of trot; consistent tempo; alignment; balance and flow. Coefficient 2.

It would be interesting to know if other competitors in the class were being dinged for the same thing. And yes, I would talk to the Technical Delegate about it.

Perhaps the judge and scribe need glasses.

Comment

Is it possible that you mean she wanted you to start from D, and not I? I to M would mean proceeding at trot very far down centerline and then performing an extremely short and steep leg yield, from I to M is only about 14 meters.

D to M would be a longer and more shallow LY than the test asks for. But before the last rewrite of the tests, LY did start from D so that may have confused her. It did cause some confusion just recently at the L program I attended, during the demo rides.

Not that there's any excuse, the judge should know the test. I'm just not able to picture wanting it from I to M and asking a rider to perform something that steep and short.

Comment

Originally posted by DownYonder View Post

Perhaps the judge and scribe need glasses.
            It's not the scribe's job to correct the judge.

I scribed this test a couple of weeks ago and the judge commented on how it's such a long line that there's little crossing of the legs. So while that judge knew the test, they missed things like a rider not saluting at either end of the test.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, all! Silverbridge - I could literally see my horse being like - "you want me to WHAT?" We pulled it off - it wasn't a nice leg yield, but we got from I to M

This was just a schooling show, but the first time it happened, it was at a rated show. That time, the judge waved me down to the judge's stand and apologized that I was correct and that she scored me on the first time I did the movement.

This time, the judge rang the bell midway through the second leg yield (L to H - and you bet I started at L) and said that I was right the first time. So, I didn't get error scores on either, but still very distracting. When they were explaining it to me, as they thought it should be done, they clearly said that it starts between R and S and goes to M, so I think they were mixing up where L and I are in the arena. This was a schooling show, with one arena, and it was later in the day, and I'm not sure if I was the first first-2 rider.

It's good to know for future rated shows that it's a case to chat with the Steward and that those evaluation forms exist - I didn't know that!

Comment

I had a judge ring me off course in a 2nd level test once when I wasn't. I politely asked where I had gone off course, and she looked at the test and realized that I had been on course and she had rung the bell in error. Thankfully.

If the judge isn't willing to check the test sheet with a polite request for clarification on the movement, then I'd do my best to comply with judge's instruction and go straight to the steward after the final salute. I can't imagine a judge actually seeing an I-M LY there and still not realizing that that geometry is not what the test asks for...

Comment

I've had it happen at rated shows a few times. In one case, it was an older S judge, and I'm afraid maybe she fell asleep during my ride?!!?!?! I've also SCRIBED in that situation, older judge, nodded off during the ride. I complained to TD and show management when it happened to me, because the judge slaughtered me for a NICE ride, but was told that was just the way it is - I had no proof I was not off course (and BTW, even if I DID have proof, video can not be used to refute a judge's score). So WTF.

Also had a judge who kept ringing me off course because she was messing with the freaking BELL in the booth - every time she'd ring the bell, I'd stop and ask where she wanted me to go - and she would mark me off course for stopping - although she had clearly rung the bell. This happened TWICE in my test. Again, WTF. Scribe even told show management what had happened, but they couldn't do anything about it. This was another older S judge.

Had a friend rang off course because her halt was a few meters early - instead of just marking her down a point or two for the halt? It was a lovely, balanced, perfectly square halt. Maybe give it an 8 instead of a 9? Again, S judge, rated show.

So, it does happen. Judges are human, they do make mistakes. Luckily, most judges do a good job - I've shown a lot over the years, and scribed a lot over the years, and find these are rare and isolated incidences. I'm going to admit - as an L who judges a lot of schooling shows, I rang someone off course once because I got L and R mixed up! It happens. Luckily, I realized my error, apologized to her, and we moved on with the test.

Atlatl is correct - the scribe should not correct the judge - unless asked! The scribe's job is to record the scores and comments, and not interject unless specifically asked by the judge.

Comment

I've never had that one before. I have seen the judge have the wrong test sheet and ring the bell for off course. Once for me (wrong test sheet entirely in a TOC class) and for a friend (wrong edition of the right test). Both judges were very sorry and got things sorted out quickly.

Comment

My 2nd favorite off course story: I was riding the same test as a BNT trainer and judge at a local rated show right after that rider. I went off course at exactly the same place she did!

I've scribed when judges erroneously ring the bell; each and every time they apologized profusely.

I was doing sitting hours with an I judge when the TD approached with a test from the previous day where the rider had a question about the scoring. The judge looked at it, turned to the scribe and said "remember I told you there was a mix up here", then turned to me and asked "When could I have fixed this" to which I answered, "before the end of the show yesterday." The message back to the rider was along the lines of "I'm sorry, you are correct. If this happens again, please reach out to the judge before the show day is over so it can be fixed."

Another bell-ringing story: I was scribing at regional championships at E when a rider looked confused hearing the bell from the adjacent ring. The judge at E quickly told her "that's not for you." Not only nice, but could be interpreted as "outside assistance" which is against the rules. Totally cool judge!

Comment

Originally posted by atlatl View Post
                        It's not the scribe's job to correct the judge.
                        Yes, I know that.

OTOH, a few years ago I overheard a well-known S judge comment to a friend who was scribing something along the lines of, "If you see something amiss or have a concern, don't interrupt a test in progress, but be sure to mention it to me after the test is finished."

Hence my comment about the scribe not picking up on the error. The scribe either knew the judge was wrong, or she didn't. If she didn't know, than yes, perhaps she also needs glasses. If she *did* know, and it was happening to one competitor after another and there was no procedure to allow her to mention it or report it--than that is a problem with the system. (One of many problems, as we all know. LOL.)

Comment

Yes, I know that.

OTOH, a few years ago I overheard a well-known S judge comment to a friend who was scribing something along the lines of, "If you see something amiss or have a concern, don't interrupt a test in progress, but be sure to mention it to me after the test is finished."

Hence my comment about the scribe not picking up on the error. The scribe either knew the judge was wrong, or she didn't. If she didn't know, than yes, perhaps she also needs glasses. If she *did* know, and it was happening to one competitor after another and there was no procedure to allow her to mention it or report it--than that is a problem with the system. (One of many problems, as we all know. LOL.)
                          Then shame on that judge.

There is a procedure to allow anyone, scribe or otherwise to report such a situation as you describe; the evaluation forms are available for all.

Comment

Hence my comment about the scribe not picking up on the error. The scribe either knew the judge was wrong, or she didn't. If she didn't know, than yes, perhaps she also needs glasses.
                            The scribe should be looking at the test sheet and either writing or preparing to write, not watching the test to see whether the rider is or isn't off course.

"She is not fragile like a flower. She is fragile like a bomb."

Comment

As someone who has scribed, this isn't something I would notice unless I knew the test fairly well, or unless something unusual happened (a number of people having the same error.) I typically just look where I'm writing, with maybe a few quick glances up to watch the rider if there's time in between comments.

I've had several judges with the wrong test, and once or twice had them read a movement wrong (mostly judges unfamiliar with the eventing tests at schooling CTs/ HTs.) They were always very nice and apologetic, though.

Comment

I was at a show with my instructor and she had the judge ring the bell on her for going off-course. The judge didn't immediately recognize the error so when my instructor approached the judge's box (truly confused, wondering if she had in fact gone off course) she inquired to the judge if it was movement 1 to movement 2, to movement 3...at which point, the judge looked at the test, realized the error, and directed her to resume the test at the interrupted movement & proceed. I was videoing the test at the time (and had been recording her rides all season) so I knew the test relatively well and was baffled by it all - I didn't understand the entire exchange until after the ride when she asked me to walk back down to the barns with her to discuss (had I seen anything as an observer that indicated she may have been going off course/etc).

It was not the nicest experience in the world, and a shame too - the test itself was shaping up to be a nice one, but that definitely distracted by horse and rider.

I have to say, based on my experiences with the same judge, I do attempt to avoid shows where she is at. While I have not had her ring me off course when I was correct, I find the degree of attention to the test to be somewhat lacking. Very disheartening.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyHorse View Post
                                  The scribe should be looking at the test sheet and either writing or preparing to write, not watching the test to see whether the rider is or isn't off course.
                                  While that is of course true, a good scribe will recognize when a comment is not quite right for the box she is writing in.... either someone is off course, or the judge and scribe got off track. Maybe the judge left out a comment, or the scribe missed it, or the judge changed from "number-comment" to "comment-number"..... Additionally, there are some movements when we can look up briefly..... depending on how wordy the judge is!

Comment

Originally posted by SillyHorse View Post
                                    Yes, of course. The scribe is looking at the test sheet--which states L-M. She hears judge ring the bell and tell the rider "I-M." So she either knows the judge is wrong or she thinks the "L" on the test sheet is an "I."

Comment

...or she thinks the "L" on the test sheet is an "I."
                                      I which case, yes, she needs glasses.

"She is not fragile like a flower. She is fragile like a bomb."

Comment

Yes, of course. The scribe is looking at the test sheet--which states L-M. She hears judge ring the bell and tell the rider "I-M." So she either knows the judge is wrong or she thinks the "L" on the test sheet is an "I."
                                        Or, since she is busy remembering the last comment and writing while finding her red pen to write "error" that she does not look at the OTHER columns - on the OTHER (far left) side of the page - where the directions for the movement are written. I assure you a scribe has enough to do that she does not have time to memorize all the tests or looking to see that the judge said a wrong letter.

It is RIDICULOUS to put ANY PART of this on the scribe. We WRITE. Period. No scribe I know would speak up and correct a judge! (Now I might slide the test sheet towards her with my finger on the directions...... )

Comment

Working...
                                        X