Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

Spratt_air 1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Where did all the amateur friendly horses go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did all the amateur friendly horses go?

It has never been easier to search for horses for sale. If I wanted a top young prospect for a decent price, I would be able to take my pick! However, finding a quality but safe horse, on the smaller side is proving to be quite difficult! Pretty flexible budget and I still can't really find one for my client. The search continues....

They're in Spain, P.R.E. Horses to be exact ​​​​​​

I'm partially serious about that!

But I think there are other smaller horses out there with good brains and an aptitude for dressage. They might not be advertised for dressage and/or may be an "off" breed so you may need to get creative or expansive with your search. I find that the problem is when people are looking for the Warmblood that's a 10 mover with an amateur friendly brain. That combination isn't so easy to find, especially without really paying. And even then, many amateur riders can't sit/ride that big movement anyway. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I've just seen a lot or over horsed amateurs with these Warmblood types.

But maybe, if you haven't already, open up your search to other disciplines as there could be a horse doing ok at said discipline, but also shows strong potential for dressage. Quality, safe, and proven is going to come at a high price tag. In my experience, anyway. Even 2 out of the 3 will. So is the budget really big/flexible enough for the market? You don't have to answer that. Just something to consider.

Comment

Define « amateur friendly » in relation to the level of your client.

~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
      HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Sara Schmitt in NJ imports some very, very nice smaller prospects. She usually advertises on Facebook.
        I'm pretty sure she currently has a 4yrs old and a GP horse for sale both under 16h and super yummy.

http://www.windsweptfarmllc.com

Comment

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
          Define « amateur friendly » in relation to the level of your client.

That is right. Just how much "help" does the ammy need to have from her horse? Is she willing to compromise on extravagant gaits in order to get a horse that's, say, a bit of a pet you can trail ride, too, or easy to sit, or a bit of a push ride?

I think some of the expressiveness a horse can show comes from some Inner Spice that most people see as the non-ammy friendly mind. Those horses feel safer to ride when they are closer to being finished in their training, But Green Spice, or the horse you will buy with the intention of bringing up the levels isn't as civilized yet and they use all that athleticism their way! Green Spice will give you a run for your money.... ask me how I know.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Are you connected with the GRP groups on FB? An oversized GRP runs 15h and the US breeders are breeding to that exact market: nice, smaller horses that are amateur friendly. Small, compact, super easy to ride, great brains and competitive with proper training, what’s not to love? To be fair, they don’t work if you are on the larger size, or imagine that you are the next Charlotte seeking your Valegro.
            Chronicles of the $700 Pony
            The Further Adventures of the $700 Pony
            www.blithetraveler.com <-- My Blog

Comment

I was also going to suggest an off-breed, PRE, small TB, or even a large pony? Though maybe don’t rule out a larger horse just based on size - I personally strongly prefer small horses, and I’m not short - but there is a 16.3ish Trakehner at the barn where I’m taking lessons that is an absolute gentle giant, and he’s so well-mannered and soft, that he’s quite easy to put together. I really enjoy him and would take him in a heartbeat! There are some little warmbloods out there too, though not as common... The two that I have ridden are very safe, but definitely more spirited than the giant Trakehner.

Comment

While "outsiders" don't usually think of Connemaras a "dressage horses", they can be very good. Remember Seldom Scene?

At this year's ACPS meeting, most of the year end awards that were not already discipline specific went to purebreds and halfbreds doing serious dressage.

While they do not all have "kids pony" attitudes, MANY of them are amateur friendly.

They typically sell by word of mouth, not by ads, so you need to connect to the "network". Go to the ACPS web site, and contact any of the officers, and they can probably put you in contact with potential horses/ponies.
                Last edited by Janet; Oct. 15, 2019, 01:45 PM.
                Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

I once had a lovely, super safe, 14.3 amateur friendly horse schooling 2nd/3rd for sale for $15k in a pricey zip code and not a single one of the terrified beginner adult ladies who tried him thought he was fancy enough for their needs. They could barely sit and were scared to canter but apparently he didnt have that wow factor...
                  The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                  Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                  Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                  The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

I don't think it's difficult to find any kind of horse if you have enough money.

Comment

Funny, I actually thought I'd been seeing an upsurge in ammy friendly mounts since it's the end of the show season for many and many of those have been 16 hands or under. A couple that caught my eye are in Canada. It also seems that many have been mares so I don't know if that has narrowed your search or if 'quality' and ammy friendly is turning out to be mutually exclusive in this particular situation. Everyone I've seen has shown up in my Facebook feed since I'm on actively horse hunting and I will absolutely echo what meupatdoes shares.
                      Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                        I once had a lovely, super safe, 14.3 amateur friendly horse schooling 2nd/3rd for sale for $15k in a pricey zip code and not a single one of the terrified beginner adult ladies who tried him thought he was fancy enough for their needs. They could barely sit and were scared to canter but apparently he didnt have that wow factor...
                        OMG, that is what I'm dealing with now... A lovely, 15.1 hand mare, solid 2nd level (scores to70%), all of 3rd level except late changes, and people who could learn SO MUCH from her want a horse that will get them their silver medal (but they don't even have first level scores, and WHAT PSG horse will you find from under $10k???). So there seems to be a disconnect - because the horses are out there. I actually know a few people selling nice, easy horses that would be ideal for the lower level rider, and are struggling to find buyers. While the fancy young horses (not even Training Level yet) are selling for 3 to 10 times the price, often to the rider who would really be better off with the less fancy horse with training...

OP, kind of depends on what you are looking for - finding a nice, quiet, FEI horse is a whole 'nother market from the nice, quiet, mid-level horse.

Comment

Regarding amateurs who buy too much horse...

I wonder if the reluctance on the part of some to ever sell a horse is a contributing factor. I know that describes me. After having recovered a horse after selling him to what I thought was a forever home only to see him sold down the road, I just don't ever sell them. Every dressage horse I've bought was bought to be or as an FEI horse although I was nowhere near FEI at the time, with the exception of the one I bought last year. I'm talking 3 horses over close to 20 years.

If you don't have unlimited funds and are looking to buy a forever horse, then I can easily see how some will want to buy a horse to "grow into." It rarely works out as planned, but I can understand the thought process.

It's hard to inject reality into dreams, mine included.
                          Last edited by atlatl; Oct. 15, 2019, 03:48 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

That hasn't been my experience. I have two of them in my barn right now. Both purchased from the same agent, actually, but selected by me (a middle aged amateur) and purchased on my own. They are lovely quality and have very good brains; I'm not a particularly talented rider and they both (have to) live in my backyard... they are out there.
                            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

It depends what you mean by quality and what you mean by safe - and also where you are looking geographically. I've seen a lot of these advertised in the northeast in the 3rd levelish range, and a lot of these in the southeast in the PSGish range.

Comment

they are in Texas. Check out Walkabout Station. That's were I got my young horse. he is a perfect gentleman. The breeder prides herself on breeding sane, athletic horses for amateurs and professionals alike. Her horses are really starting to make an impression in TX and on the national scene. She is a USDF Breeder of Distinction.
                                "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
                                "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
                                Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Comment

I bought one this summer - though she's 5 and a WB and I wouldn't say appropriate for a complete beginner because of her age alone/ the fact she has enough spice to not be a complete kick-ride. Very safe for what she is though and exactly what I was looking for to get confidence back - I went looking with my coach and most of the "super safe, amateur friendly" young horses we went to check out, she wouldn't let me get on after she tried them first. This horse instantly felt different from the others I tried and gave me zero fear, but also didn't fall into a halt if I stopped kicking.

Just yesterday I rode and my coach said "careful, she's fresh" because she had a couple days off, wind was blowing, and she was tossing her neck in an excited way at first - and I said to coach "yeah she's excited but zero percent feels like she wants to actually take-off or buck". And she doesn't. And coach said "yeah that's why we got her".

Anyway - I think it depends on the perspective/trustworthiness of the seller too and their own definition of "amateur safe". Coach really liked/trusted Jhesika Wells (now Jhesika Hansen I think) - she's in Washington and really starts the horses well/ is very trustworthy.

I'm surprised you're having trouble - I felt like I saw a fair many <16 h horses out there, especially if the budget isn't limited.
                                  Mr. Sandman
                                  sand me a man
                                  make him so sandy
                                  the sandiest man

Comment

Interestingly I seem to have the opposite experience of the OP: I am seeing an abundance of modestly sized horses with correct (but not super expansive) gaits who have been specifically bred for good temperament/good mindedness, with an amateur rider in mind (ranging from a spectrum of "complete kick ride" to "forward minded within reason") - and this is within warmblood circles.

Different breeding programs have different goals. There are some really well known ones here in North America that have a specific goal in mind (along the lines of "young horse finals competitive") that I probably would avoid recommending someone who is looking for an amateur friendly ride, but there's a fair few out there that do focus on producing for an amateur audience.

Alibi has the right point though. "Amateur friendly" can mean many different things. A horse that doesn't need to stay in a program, a horse that is super forgiving of a rider, a horse whose gaits don't require extreme degrees of athleticism to ride properly, "smaller" (which means different things to different people), etc. Clarifying what component of "amateur friendly" is being looked for would probably help.

Comment

Simply paging through FB sales pages can be frustrating and huge time suck. People write advertisements and present things the way buyers want to see them, which is often not reality.

I'd recommend networking with breeders you respect... (or chatting with your trainer, etc. to see if there's a breeder they'd recommend). Competent breeders will know their sales horses and know which ones might be suitable for you/your client's needs.

I was lucky to work with a trainer that also worked with a breeder here in New England. My trainer knew me, my strengths, my hesitancies as a rider... When it was time for me to find a new mount after losing my gelding last Winter, she had a coming 5-year old in mind. He was young, but his brain was there. He was a fancy mover and has great breeding... but more importantly, he had the temperament that an amateur, with the help of a Pro trainer, could bring him along up the levels. And I couldn't be happier with this choice. He's talented, athletic, sane as we taught him how to trail ride, agreeable when we taught him how to load and travel happily. No unnecessary explosions, no ridiculous spooking. Respectful, attentive, and open to learn. Will we go to the Olympics? Nope. Can we get to FEI? I sure hope so. And I've found that breeders, not sales barns, want to stand behind their horses and form a relationship with the buyer and their horse.

Really making connections with those that breed prospects -- PRE, Warmbloods, even German Riding Ponies (15-16hands-- little powerhouses!) ... would be a great way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                                        I think some of the expressiveness a horse can show comes from some Inner Spice that most people see as the non-ammy friendly mind. Those horses feel safer to ride when they are closer to being finished in their training, But Green Spice, or the horse you will buy with the intention of bringing up the levels isn't as civilized yet and they use all that athleticism their way! Green Spice will give you a run for your money.... ask me how I know.
                                        If the Spice Girls are being reconstituted in equine form, my mare would like to audition. Move over Baby, Ginger, Sporty, and Posh. It's time for Green, Sensitive, Explosive, and Flashy Spice.

I've been looking at horses with a friend who's shopping right now, and the thing that has struck me about the "ammy friendly" horse ad is that some subset of sellers (esp. on the lower end of the price and training spectrums) use that term as a code word for kick ride, and others don't. And some buyers at various points in the budget spectrum definitely use it as a euphemism for wanting a kick ride, yet others who are looking for a solidly amateur-appropriate horse (straightforward to ride, forgiving enough for an ammy to learn new things under a trainer's guidance, capable of mid-levels maybe but not FEI prospect, not necessarily dead quiet) don't.

Seems to be a factor in some of the situations I've seen where a timid rider takes the words "ammy friendly" to mean "dead quiet babysitter" and assume that the expressiveness they are attracted to in ads/video will somehow not show up in sensitivity, sit-ability of gaits, or a small measure of training-civilized "inner spice" when they visit the horse in person.

Comment

Working...
                                        X