Sport Horse Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Main-Barn-Bench-to-end2

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Young horse, "frame" pics: which is better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young horse, "frame" pics: which is better?

These are stills from a video of one of my more recent lessons (well, like a month ago, but I haven't gotten any more recent). I was looking back through the recent videos and screenshots and ran across them, and started wondering which "look" I should be trying to get more for a 4 year old (not really the frame, but the whole picture). The first one I feel like he is slightly behind the vertical, but I'm not sure if that is just balance/strength that will get better, or if I should be encouraging more of the second (I like that one better I think, minus whatever my arms are doing). We are aiming for Training level shows next year. He is just kind of long and a bit downhill still, so I feel like we are going to be a bit on the forehand no matter what for a while until he gets stronger and/or evens out more.

Basically, I'm trying to educate my eye so I know what to notice and work on when I video my rides, and I can associate that with what it should feel like. I've been focusing a lot on getting him more in front of my leg since this, so hopefully it does look better now. I just don't want to accidentally be encouraging the wrong thing between lessons, you know?

Both of those are within the range of what a young horse is going to do. I wouldn't worry so much about the frame, because that ends in riding the head instead of the hind end. The horse should feel lively and happy to go out to the bit and take you forward. Your horse needs to build strength the carry the withers up, and then the frame will come.

I'm attaching a series of photos I put together last year as my mare developed from weak 4.5 year old barely cantering under saddle to solid TL/schooling first from January to July. She is also a slightly downhill and long QH, so this might give you an idea of where your guy can go, (not that we're perfect). The front end "frame" doesn't change much, although the feel and quality of contact sure did. However, the thing to notice is that her haunches lower and hind leg comes under more as she developed.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by outerbanks77 View Post
      Both of those are within the range of what a young horse is going to do. I wouldn't worry so much about the frame, because that ends in riding the head instead of the hind end. The horse should feel lively and happy to go out to the bit and take you forward. Your horse needs to build strength the carry the withers up, and then the frame will come.

I'm attaching a series of photos I put together last year as my mare developed from weak 4.5 year old barely cantering under saddle to solid TL/schooling first from January to July. She is also a slightly downhill and long QH, so this might give you an idea of where your guy can go, (not that we're perfect). The front end "frame" doesn't change much, although the feel and quality of contact sure did. However, the thing to notice is that her haunches lower and hind leg comes under more as she developed.
      I love that! It helps to visualize. She is really cute!

Bottom line is, if he ends up looking like either of those during a ride, it's not such a big deal as long as he is feeling like he is moving forward to the bit. That's good to know. I know you aren't SUPPOSED to worry about the front end. I just don't want to have him starting to dip too much behind the vertical.

Comment

Ride him to the bit, and he won't go behind the vertical, except for when he's a little weak for what you are asking. In those moments, ride the hind legs towards the bit, then give him a break and lots of praise. When the neck is in a lower/flatter position, I don't worry too much about moments of BTV, because it doesn't close the throatlatch as much as when the horse is in a higher carriage and goes BTV. The question is whether the hind legs have been lost out the back. Here are two pics of stretchy trot from a lesson last October (long sleeve shirt) My instructor was happy with this, even though she was BTV, because there is a bascule over the whole body, and she is stepping under. This would not have been possible 4-6 months earlier - I didn't do much stretching at that point because it would just put her hind legs out the back door not really loosen up the back. The other is a couple weeks earlier, where I put her without my instructor on the ground telling me where to put her.
        Attached Files

Comment

In the the first photo the horse looks like he is starting to reach out towards the bit. He is getting a little bascule. This is good. In the second photo the horse just looks like he's going on a loose rein and his neck is s bit upside down.

Other than that it's hard to say much from a still. He is tracking up ok in both photos.

However I would suggest you banish the word frame from your vocabulary and run run run away from any trainer that uses it. It's a red flag for bad training and it does not address anything. And it lets you look at these two photos without seeing the major difference in the horses posture.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
            In the the first photo the horse looks like he is starting to reach out towards the bit. He is getting a little bascule. This is good. In the second photo the horse just looks like he's going on a loose rein and his neck is s bit upside down.

Other than that it's hard to say much from a still. He is tracking up ok in both photos.

However I would suggest you banish the word frame from your vocabulary and run run run away from any trainer that uses it. It's a red flag for bad training and it does not address anything. And it lets you look at these two photos without seeing the major difference in the horses posture.
            Yeah that's why the word "frame" was in quotes, for lack of a better word for the overall picture. I'm sure there is some german word for it Either way, he does FEEL like he has improved a ton this year, so we must be somewhat on the right track!

Comment

Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post

Yeah that's why the word "frame" was in quotes, for lack of a better word for the overall picture. I'm sure there is some german word for it Either way, he does FEEL like he has improved a ton this year, so we must be somewhat on the right track!
              Rather than say frame think about whether he is lifting at the base of the neck, seeking contact, and using his hind end. Can you see the difference between the two photos you posted?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Rather than say frame think about whether he is lifting at the base of the neck, seeking contact, and using his hind end. Can you see the difference between the two photos you posted?
                Yup! In that sense the first looks better, though he isn't stepping out as much which is probably what I'm getting caught up on.

Comment

Yup! In that sense the first looks better, though he isn't stepping out as much which is probably what I'm getting caught up on.
                  Why video is more informative. These are moments in time. Reaching out for the bit and lifting the base of the neck is super important. Horse may not be able to hold it consistently at first. Horse may go with bigger strides inverted even if he's green. Pure length of gait is not the whole thing.

Comment

The way I think of it, it's the balance that matters more than a certain place of where the head is. And that changes as the horse gains strength too. In my ammy understanding!

Cute horse!

Comment

As Lunarbear said, don't look for frame look for balance. As a judge that's what I look for at intro/training as well, balance. And just from photos I'd say I'd be suggesting this horse come a little more uphill, not as in shorten the neck and stay vertical but raise his whole neck up from the base and keep an open gullet. That may mean he's in front of the vertical and you get the odd comment about needing to be more round, but that will come next. Also remember when a judge says needs to be more round etc that they are meaning that is what you need to do next for higher marks, not that what you are doing now isn't good for his level of development. The judges job is to tell you why you are getting the mark they awarded, not tell you whether or not the horse is going where he should for the stage of training. They don't have enough information to be able to do that.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by nzrider View Post
                        As Lunarbear said, don't look for frame look for balance. As a judge that's what I look for at intro/training as well, balance. And just from photos I'd say I'd be suggesting this horse come a little more uphill, not as in shorten the neck and stay vertical but raise his whole neck up from the base and keep an open gullet. That may mean he's in front of the vertical and you get the odd comment about needing to be more round, but that will come next. Also remember when a judge says needs to be more round etc that they are meaning that is what you need to do next for higher marks, not that what you are doing now isn't good for his level of development. The judges job is to tell you why you are getting the mark they awarded, not tell you whether or not the horse is going where he should for the stage of training. They don't have enough information to be able to do that.
                        That's a really good point, and good to hear from a judge's point of view.

It's kind of weird, coming into dressage, and seeing all these other young horses that had just been started under saddle and, kind of like what the other young horse frame thread mentioned, they look so much further along than my horse after us working at it for the entire year.

It's a process learning what the correct development actually should look like, what is just forced frames or too much for the level of training, etc. And it makes it more difficult because it's hard to find resources showing the correct training of a young horse from the very beginning, they all show the horse already looking further along. I know some of that is just skilled pro riding along with a horse having a more ideal build, but it would still be nice to see a progression of a less ideal dressage youngster somewhere.

Someone should get on that, I would pay good money for a video series showing the dressage training processes for babies that aren't built great naturally for dressage "Training the Downhill, Long-Backed Horse for Dressage: The 4 Year Old"

Comment

but it would still be nice to see a progression of a less ideal dressage youngster somewhere.
                          Like the photos I posted in this thread? My mare is western pleasure breeding on top, and would be happy to peanut roll her way around. That's why I posted them, and I agree with the previous post from the judge that your horse can come up in the neck a bit. The thing is to get him connecting back to front. If you look at my trot series again, and try to draw a bowed line from the back hind leg, through the horse, up through the poll, you'll see that the "power line" is pretty much non-existent in the first photo, and becomes stronger, and more of a bascule in each photo. IME, it takes a good year of work to get this developed, whereas a more talented horse can get there a lot faster, but this is your base. Unfortunately my horse injured herself last October, and we are just finally getting through the rehab process from that. Otherwise, I would have more progression photos to share with you. Hopefully next year I will be able to get her to second level and see how that develops.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by outerbanks77 View Post

Like the photos I posted in this thread? My mare is western pleasure breeding on top, and would be happy to peanut roll her way around. That's why I posted them, and I agree with the previous post from the judge that your horse can come up in the neck a bit. The thing is to get him connecting back to front. If you look at my trot series again, and try to draw a bowed line from the back hind leg, through the horse, up through the poll, you'll see that the "power line" is pretty much non-existent in the first photo, and becomes stronger, and more of a bascule in each photo. IME, it takes a good year of work to get this developed, whereas a more talented horse can get there a lot faster, but this is your base. Unfortunately my horse injured herself last October, and we are just finally getting through the rehab process from that. Otherwise, I would have more progression photos to share with you. Hopefully next year I will be able to get her to second level and see how that develops.
                            Exactly like your photos, I love those! It would be a fun project to get together pictures like that from multiple people and see the progress over the years. Or even over one year.

Comment

Honestly the fact that you are even considering these questions is a great sign. Both those pictures look very reasonable to me for a young horse starting out but I'm also only a lowly ammy. I also have a young horse and although he's a reasonable build for dressage he is not purpose bred/brought up in a dressage program. It's such a weird push pull between seeing these youngsters powering around like pros in videos and getting emails from my GMO about young dressage horse classes which make me feel like I'm falling behind and then coming back down to earth here on COTH where the concern is maybe I'm asking too much of my young horse.
                              Hang in there! I've had my now 5 year old for 10 months and he spent a lot of time trying to duck behind the contact and then giraffe and then balanced for 1 second and then behind, then giraffe...there was a lot of awkwardness but my trainer kept us on track and always thinking about pushing from behind and now I have a horse that actually seeks the contact. I got tangled in my headset the other day and just dropped the reins to deal with it and he just took all that extra rein down and out to find my hands again and it was a magical feeling. It seems like you're on the right track.

Comment

It's kind of weird, coming into dressage, and seeing all these other young horses that had just been started under saddle and, kind of like what the other young horse frame thread mentioned, they look so much further along than my horse after us working at it for the entire year.

It's a process learning what the correct development actually should look like, what is just forced frames or too much for the level of training, etc. And it makes it more difficult because it's hard to find resources showing the correct training of a young horse from the very beginning, they all show the horse already looking further along. I know some of that is just skilled pro riding along with a horse having a more ideal build, but it would still be nice to see a progression of a less ideal dressage youngster somewhere.
                                I feel you there. My mare is rising 5 now, but I see these videos and pics of just started 3 year olds and feel that I'm so far behind in her training. I try to just remember each horse has it's own time schedule and that some of them are just being pulled together for a good sales video. My mare is over 18hh so rushing her development isn't going to get me anywhere.

Nice to know I'm not alone!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Piaffe11 View Post

I feel you there. My mare is rising 5 now, but I see these videos and pics of just started 3 year olds and feel that I'm so far behind in her training. I try to just remember each horse has it's own time schedule and that some of them are just being pulled together for a good sales video. My mare is over 18hh so rushing her development isn't going to get me anywhere.

Nice to know I'm not alone!
                                  We need a baby horse dressage support group

Comment

We need a baby horse dressage support group
                                    Well you should start one! I'd be in, although my guy doesnt exactly qualify as a baby anymore. (6 yrs).
                                    "Wherever you go, go with all your heart"

Comment

Originally posted by GucciCowgirl View Post

Well you should start one! I'd be in, although my guy doesnt exactly qualify as a baby anymore. (6 yrs).
                                      I'd be in for that! I just bought a 4 year old.

RainWeasley I know you were kidding but that would be a super fun and encouraging thread/group.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunabear1988 View Post

I'd be in for that! I just bought a 4 year old.

RainWeasley I know you were kidding but that would be a super fun and encouraging thread/group.
                                        COTH used to have a Young Horse forum - it didn't see much action. but I think a thread on its own wouldprobably be great!
                                        "Wherever you go, go with all your heart"

Comment

Working...
                                        X