Sport Horse Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

What part of the country is lacking good Dressage trainers??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of the country is lacking good Dressage trainers??

Interested to hear your thoughts on areas of the country that seem to have lots of Dressage riders, but a lack of FEI Dressage trainers to help them? Im referring to trainers that have developed horses themselves, have all their medals and are active in the competition circuit. Thanks in advance!

Many areas? Most of them outside of Florida, California, and pockets on the East Coast? I mean there are lots of places with an active set of lower level ammies, and coaches that are indeed helpful to them in say showing first level, but trainers with all their medal, developed multiple horses themselves (rather than medals on their wealthy client's school master) and currently competing at presumably FEI level? That's got to be a very small percentage of all trainers. You might get medals on a client's horse; previous showing career but now stuck getting sales greenies going training level for ammie riders; or developed one star horse when younger and maybe under the guidance of a BNT but now doesn't have access to that quality of horse or even the time to work on their own projects.

Comment

• Original Poster

Agreed! It seems that those types of lower level appropriate trainers are successful in their pockets. Do you have any specific areas in mind? Im looking to move my business out of Wellington, and even Florida in general, but interested to hear where a trainer like myself is needed.

Comment

I know CO is considered lacking in instructions from FEI quality trainers, at least compared to different areas.

They are around but I'd say the "lower level" trainers really outnumber them.

Comment

LOL almost anywhere. Reverse your title and search for good areas for dressage, print a map, cross out those areas, and move almost anywhere else. In all seriousness, you could pick any state and find that the majority of the state does not have a trainer with a record of developing FEI horses within a 2-hour drive.

I imagine that identifying a horse dense area that is also temperate makes the most sense in terms of maximizing prospective clients and rideable weather. If an area is a complete dressage dead zone, it is a lot more work to get your name out. Conversely, if you can connect with the local bronze and silver medal trainers and start giving them clinics, you open the door to getting on a lot of radars. You also need an area where income is enough that there is a robust horse population with enough to afford full-time training.

I think Athens, GA is a bit of an untapped area for dressage trainers but there is a large eventing community. You also can access a rotating college population where many still have family support. Charlotte, NC is another area that comes to mind. There are some good trainers in that area but it is not saturated and there is a lot of money. Metro Atlanta is miserable and there are trainers with really deep roots. Tryon, NC is very trainer dense but Greenville, SC has far fewer resources for motivated dressage riders. Five Forks is between Greenville and Spartanburg and is actually the most affluent town in the state. Travelers Rest is also an area worth looking at.

Comment

Definitely Charlotte! Huntersville just to the north is quite wealthy, lots of horses/riders and very few FEI trainers. Close to Tryon and Southern Pines for shows, clinics and an overall nice area.

Comment

Originally posted by prestigeperformancehorses View Post
              Agreed! It seems that those types of lower level appropriate trainers are successful in their pockets. Do you have any specific areas in mind? Im looking to move my business out of Wellington, and even Florida in general, but interested to hear where a trainer like myself is needed.
              Needed is a complicated word. The vast majority of ammies across North America do not get past first level, whether that's because of limitations in quality of horse, quality of riding, amount of cash to spend on the sport, and lack of time in the day to ride, or some combination of the above. Now dedication and an excellent coach might get these folks up to second or third level, but being an FEI competitor isn't the sole qualification needed to be successful in getting an adult ammie from training to first to second level. You'd need to have a knack for working with the less than gifted, the slightly stiff, the less pricey horse, and the older or slightly fearful rider who doesn't really have a "forward button." And you'd also need to not feel like you were wasting your time with riders with no "prospects."

Now if you had a knack for inspiring them and bringing out the best in them, and if you loved working on the very basic things, getting a rider led steady or hands working right or a horse moving out in a medium trot or his first half pass, this could work wonderfully. But if your heart and soul is still riding FEI in Florida, and your biggest recommendation is that you've taken several horses to Grand Prix, then there might be a mismatch.

You might also find it discouraging to live in an area where you are the only person regularly riding in the FEI classes at local shows.

Speaking as a university professor that did my Phd at a "top school" in my field then found my tenured niche in a rather modest "regional college" and had to seriously reduce my expectations of my students.

Comment

I'd eliminate any areas that don't have rated shows within a 3 hour driving distance. You need enough existing dressage interest in the area to easily build up a clientele for what you're offering. Without passing judgement on quality, there are a decent number who fit your criteria in the suburbs of NYC, as well as the more central areas of NJ and CT. The ones that come to mind in MA are closer to Boston - not on the western side of the state. There are also some areas in eastern PA that might fit the bill, or areas of New York that are up north towards Albany or farther.

Comment

Areas lacking in trainers for a specific discipline usually lack them because there are no shows close enough to take entry level clients to. You need to acquire and develop your more advanced riders from someplace, that someplace is the entry level riders that want to advancee. Areas that lack quality trainers across all disciplines generally lack clients with the digressionary income to afford the sport. There are reasons nobody is there. So be careful.

I think the 3hr drive time each way to a show is a good estimate of how far is too far for most entry level riders to gain experience in a show environment. That’s max distance, closer is much better for clients unless your barn caters to deeper pockets who will move with you.
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                    Areas lacking in trainers for a specific discipline usually lack them because there are no shows close enough to take entry level clients to. You need to acquire and develop your more advanced riders from someplace, that someplace is the entry level riders that want to advancee. Areas that lack quality trainers across all disciplines generally lack clients with the digressionary income to afford the sport. There are reasons nobody is there. So be careful.

I think the 3hr drive time each way to a show is a good estimate of how far is too far for most entry level riders to gain experience in a show environment. That’s max distance, closer is much better for clients unless your barn caters to deeper pockets who will move with you.
                    You guys are definitely right about the 3hr drive to shows. I didn't think about that but I can see it being very relevant. Thank you!

Comment

Here in New Mexico there are only a few FEI level trainers. The regional championships are held 6 hours in either direction in Parker, CO or Scottsdale, AZ. There aren't that many rated shows throughout the year. The nearest ones are in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, El Paso, TX, and Tucson, AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                        You might also find it discouraging to live in an area where you are the only person regularly riding in the FEI classes at local shows.

Speaking as a university professor that did my Phd at a "top school" in my field then found my tenured niche in a rather modest "regional college" and had to seriously reduce my expectations of my students.
                        I think the OP would find it even more discouraging to live in an area where there aren't any FEI classes to ride in because no one else is doing FEI and they don't have the money to bring in a qualified judge for any FEI classes.

I come from an area that had several dressage barns but I never met a single FEI rider. Highest level was Second, and there were only a couple of those, and they traveled an average of over 100 miles to show because there weren't any classes for them in our area. As to FEI horses, they're kind of like unicorns, aren't they? We all believe in them, deep down, but how many of us have ever seen one in the flesh?
                        Rack on!

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Needed is a complicated word. The vast majority of ammies across North America do not get past first level, whether that's because of limitations in quality of horse, quality of riding, amount of cash to spend on the sport, and lack of time in the day to ride, or some combination of the above. Now dedication and an excellent coach might get these folks up to second or third level, but being an FEI competitor isn't the sole qualification needed to be successful in getting an adult ammie from training to first to second level. You'd need to have a knack for working with the less than gifted, the slightly stiff, the less pricey horse, and the older or slightly fearful rider who doesn't really have a "forward button." And you'd also need to not feel like you were wasting your time with riders with no "prospects."
                          I feel like this deserves repeating.

What most of us need the most is someone with a deep toolbox training - 2nd level who loves working with average riders on average horses. If an average horse has become a $50k import who only shows potential through 4th, it may not be a lot of fun having me bounce around your ring on an off bred hony who at 6 does not totally understand how to canter with some semblance of balance.

Comment

If you are looking for a part of the country where advanced trainers are lacking.....right HERE! Northern BC I have never met anyone who has competed beyond pr st George level, and that was when she was a teenager, living at home with her parents footing the bill and she lived 5 hours south of me.
                            I would have to travel almost 3 hours to get to the closest registered show.
                            This area sure could use a high end trainer to inspire and coach. Video lessons only go just so far.

Comment

Remember that "dressage deserts" don't have shows, but they also often lack good farriers, vets, body workers, saddle fitters and trainers for you... It takes a big support team to support FEI horses. If you want to continue to ride at that level, you have to look at everything. And a business (as many have mentioned) needs people with enough income to own horses and take lessons on them. It can be discouraging to teach someone one lesson a week, on Saturday, and they can't ride in between because of weather or darkness (in winter). Its hard for them to progress like they would like to. So you need very wealthy people if you want multiple students moving up to FEI. Its tough to do.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by GraceLikeRain View Post

I feel like this deserves repeating.

What most of us need the most is someone with a deep toolbox training - 2nd level who loves working with average riders on average horses. If an average horse has become a $50k import who only shows potential through 4th, it may not be a lot of fun having me bounce around your ring on an off bred hony who at 6 does not totally understand how to canter with some semblance of balance.
                                I think you might be right about some FEI trainers, but at one point or another we were all bouncing around trying to figure out the canter. My favorite type of client to teach is one who really wants to learn and get better. If second level is all they'll ever make it to then I want to help them be the best 2nd level rider they can. Im looking for an area in the country that the riders aren't content with just getting by, but who really want to learn and progress and hopefully exceed their own expectations. Any ideas where I can find those riders??

Comment

Originally posted by colorfan View Post
                                  If you are looking for a part of the country where advanced trainers are lacking.....right HERE! Northern BC I have never met anyone who has competed beyond pr st George level, and that was when she was a teenager, living at home with her parents footing the bill and she lived 5 hours south of me.
                                  I would have to travel almost 3 hours to get to the closest registered show.
                                  This area sure could use a high end trainer to inspire and coach. Video lessons only go just so far.
                                  You could expand that to all of BC as well. Dressage is concentrated in the Vancouver area but I dont know that there's any coach that fits the description of has all their medals (medals aren't really a thing in Canada and those that go for them tend to be ammies), has brought multiple horses to FEI level, and is actively competing FEI. Maybe a couple of older coaches fit the last two descriptors but I think these days only riding in local shows. I would need to get on Equine Canada show results to verify this though.

​​​​​​We had a local trainer in contention for the last Olympic team but I think she was already based in Florida.

The current big deal expensive traveling dressage trainer coming to our
                                  barn had one season showing Grand Prix on a client's imported teenaged school masters and that was enough to make her reputation. She hasn't trained horses to that level. I don't think any of her students see this as a problem.

Of course you'd need a work visa to come to Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by prestigeperformancehorses View Post

I think you might be right about some FEI trainers, but at one point or another we were all bouncing around trying to figure out the canter. My favorite type of client to teach is one who really wants to learn and get better. If second level is all they'll ever make it to then I want to help them be the best 2nd level rider they can. Im looking for an area in the country that the riders aren't content with just getting by, but who really want to learn and progress and hopefully exceed their own expectations. Any ideas where I can find those riders??
                                    I'm sure there's hardworking people anywhere.

The issue is, more critically, that they're pretty rare. I look around at the other clients of my trainer (a GP rider who has a lovely KWPN stallion she's bringing along), and I'm the only one putting in the time and money to progress. The rest take one lesson a week and might be content to go to a training level schooling show.

The reality is that dressage is hard, harder than most people think and harder than most people are willing to work. I don't personally think it's difficult to bring a horse to second level but as it turns out, it IS hard for a lot of riders who don't have a lot of natural talent or the drive to focus and really become better.

You might find this experience disappointing, or you might find that you're fine collecting a check from once-a-weekers who will really never progress. That's up to you, really.
                                    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

I agree with the points that you need to look for FEI competitions and support resources, plus consumer wealth.

Nashville is a booming town with real wealth, but it lacks the depth of equine resources typical outside Atlanta or Charlotte. However, Nashville seems to have potential for equine dressage businesses, as it is not over saturated at all. The Lexington area in Kentucky has more trainers, but also seems to be a place that a talented person could carve out a market--if there were enough demand.

Comment

Originally posted by soloudinhere View Post

I'm sure there's hardworking people anywhere.

The issue is, more critically, that they're pretty rare. I look around at the other clients of my trainer (a GP rider who has a lovely KWPN stallion she's bringing along), and I'm the only one putting in the time and money to progress. The rest take one lesson a week and might be content to go to a training level schooling show.

The reality is that dressage is hard, harder than most people think and harder than most people are willing to work. I don't personally think it's difficult to bring a horse to second level but as it turns out, it IS hard for a lot of riders who don't have a lot of natural talent or the drive to focus and really become better.

You might find this experience disappointing, or you might find that you're fine collecting a check from once-a-weekers who will really never progress. That's up to you, really.
                                        ^^^This^^^

I used to ride at a barn that had some people who would go to shows, but it was about the social time. There was one year that I and one other rider were riding in the same regional championship class. I placed, she didn't. I happened to overhear her whining to our trainer about it, and the trainer told her in no uncertain terms, that I just worked harder than anyone else in the barn. She told her that I come and ride everyday - rain, snow, bugs, heat, hangover from friday night, etc...

OP - I'm not sure what the best way to go about finding what you are looking for. Many have touched on the issues that exist if there is not an existing base of FEI riders. It's a bit of chicken/egg. The area can't easily draw in the talent without an existing ancillary support industry (sporthorse vets & farriers, bodyworkers, fitters, etc...) but those people aren't coming to an area where there is no existing client base.

I'd probably start by identifying areas that you are willing to live. You're coming from south Florida. 6+ months of winter in Minnesota is going to be a shock, for example. Then I'd check out shows and results in those areas to see if there is a possible base of riders and how many existing FEI trainers there may already be. Also - be open minded. If you pick an area that has a limited amount of riders (and they are likely to be pretty loyal to their existing trainers to start out), do you have the finances, contacts, talent, and ability to wait out a potential slow start?

Comment

Working...
                                        X