Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

DJI_0011-HDR
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

What would you pay for these horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you pay for these horses?

I'm currently horse shopping (which seems like it's been taking forever due to a budget that's in the 4 figures and many horses being apparently lame when going to try them or having undisclosed issues, failed PPE ect.) I'm in an area that I think tends to have horses overpriced vs the Midwest. At least from seeing ads/fb that is what I've noticed. Now I works rather not ship and shipping does ad money. But sometimes I look at horses and think hmmm this horse seems like it would be a few grand cheaper if in Michigan. As in, I could fly out, vet, and ship a horse and still come out cheaper than buying SOME of the horses in state. But of course that's a pain so really hopefully to find something here even if I pay a little more. But there is a point.

Here is a few horses I've looked at or seen on FB. Some in state and some out of state. Curious what people think is a fair price range. Again, I will overpay a little if I really like the horse but there is at least one or two that I think seem overpriced but maybe they aren't. Looking for a dressage prospect but I'm not competitive. Do want something sound enough for 3rd level though. These aren't all ones I'm considering, just seeing what the market is.

Horse #1 Large 16.3 TB, 3 years old. Good bloodlines, flashy color. Big feet, big bone but a few conformational issues and a nasty scar on a joint. Green obviously, only walk trot and canter.Nice mover despite conformation. Will soften but not consistently round. Gets canter leads well. Ground manners just okay. Lunges pretty well. Sane horse. But young. About 20 rides post track.. Hasn't been off property. Easier keeper.

#2 decent size OTTB 15.3. 5 years old flashy Chestnut. Comes with a few X-rays (clean.) Super sane. Freely forward but not hot. Good gaits, soft in the mouth. Decent feet and bone size. Caring owner. Still needs a bit more weight. W/t/c learning about contact/coming round. Gets canter leads. Good ground manners, lunges. Has been off property and lightly jumped at home. Handful of rides of track but making huge strides quickly.

#3 grade horse (probably QH) owned by rescue but with a trainer. Smaller, under 15 hands. plain Bay 5 years old. Cute build but conformation wise has an issue that's not super ideal.
    Super mind and very quiet. Off property once. Mostly ridden in ring. W/t/c soft in bridle but not consistent with leads. They are there just not consistent. No lateral. Feet aren't great and I suspect will there a competent farrier/potentially strict schedule/maybe wedges... Ground manners are excellent but not great at lunging. 120 days of training.

​​​​​​Curious to what price range people would expect for these? Just curious if my expectations of a budget for non warmblood green and average movers is realistic. I think horse # 1 is priced slightly high but given the cost of shipping, I'd be willing to pay that or close to it. #2 is reasonably priced even out of state. #3 I wonder if he's a bit high.

• Original Poster

Also, I do not personally care or sometimes don't want a young horse ridden "on the bit." For one sometimes I think they are too young and not far enough in their training. But sellers seem to think that's a selling point. I don't want one that's terribly against the contact but I usually have an easy time dealing with that later on in the training. I'm usually looking at the mind and soundness first.

But some sellers see it as a big selling point. I can see it but how much more does that make the horse worth? That alone? This is probably where I differ.

Comment

Around here, we have a lower end TB track.

Below is for sound and decent conformation horses under 5.

Typically the price off the track is free or under $1000.

The price for a started but green OTTB would be well under $5000 depending on how much promise he showed. I'd say $3000?

For the $5000 to $10000 range you could expect him to be entering in local jumping shows.

People aren't really going for ottb that much for dressage, so if you wanted one for that you'd probably get one started as a jumper.

I would not personally look for a green horse that's being muscled into a "going round." You will have a bunch of retraining to do.

The rescue QH would go for the rescue adoption fee probably $1000 or less. Remember there is a reason someone tried to send that horse to auction. Could just be green but could be unsound.

Comment

• Original Poster

Scribbler our local track is similar to yours although once restarted they typically are $5,000 to $7,000. That's here. I definitely think in reality I could ship a similar (sometimes nicer) Ottb for that or less.

The grade horse supposedly was in bad place when much younger. But obviously a PPE would be needed. He's the higher priced of them all.

Comment

• Original Poster

Scribbler I agree about the going round thing. I am more disappointed to see it if anything lol. But I did throw it out there as I think sellers think of it as a more finished horse that's worth more if they do that. Even if it's just see sawing their mouths to death.

Comment

Depending on the personality of the horse, your training skill set, and your facilities (turnout, pasture) you might be just as far along to get a "raw" OTTB off the track, give him a little let down, and start him from scratch. Some OTTB trainers/flippers are very good, but some are just younger pros just starting out who possibly don't add that much real value to the horse . It really depends on the horse, though. Some remain fire breathing dragons and some are just born more calm. Not as calm as the QH though.

However, honestly if the QH can't take the correct lead after 4 months under saddle, and has some conformation or foot issues, I'd be wary. Good QH are naturally balanced horses that excel at the canter and gallop (at least for short distances!) and should be catty and handy. You are certainly never buying a QH for the trot, so it's not like you have a big floaty young WB with a 9 trot at liberty, but needs a bit of work finding his legs under him at the canter. Or a STTB that was never allowed to canter in harness. If a QH is having problems with canter, either can't pick up one lead, or is disunited, or has a wierd prong thing going on behind, I would run run run away. A QH without a nice canter, at least at liberty and on the longue, really has nothing to recommend him

Comment

Check the Canter web site for horses near you. Race horse trainers usually want their racing flunk outs to go to a good home.

Here is the link for horses coming off Delaware Park. Horses are $500 to $3k
              https://canterusa.org/horses/listing...iate/delaware/

Here is Canter in MD. $1500-$3k
              https://canterusa.org/horses/listing...iate/maryland/

I personally would prefer something off the track that I can retrain vs something that a trainer has put in time for retraining.

I can do everything that someone taking a horse off the track for turning into a pleasure horse and don't want to pay for that or deal with any "training mistakes" that might happen along the way.

Of course, getting a horse off the track is an unknown unless the trainer is willing to ride them for you. A lot of race horse trainers hack their horses as part of their training regimen.
              Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
              Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

• Original Poster

So horse #2 actually sounds really nice to me and like a very good fit for my life. Green enough but less unknown. But has out of state. Although well in budget.

#3 is priced just below $7k. He is fun and a cute mover. He does have both leads but got the answer wrong at least once with both me and the trainer showing him. Then he picked it up correctly. But he's only the horse really that I've tried that's had any issue at all with that.

I guess in my mind OTTBs and grade horses that are green, restarted but no show miles, should be around $3k to $5k. With show miles or more off property experience, the beginning of lateral ect I would expect the price to be a little higher.

Comment

• Original Poster

I did look at the track but decided buying straight off wasn't for me. Too much unknown and with what I'm wanting it makes sense to at least be able to ride the horse first. Even if I think the training received isn't great value (sometimes it is!)

I just think for $3k to 5k for green "offbreeds" that are only w/t/c under saddle is fair. Anything more starts to sound high to me unless they are full of potential (outstanding movers, great bloodlines ect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lunabear1988 View Post
                    So horse #2 actually sounds really nice to me and like a very good fit for my life. Green enough but less unknown. But has out of state. Although well in budget.

#3 is priced just below $7k. He is fun and a cute mover. He does have both leads but got the answer wrong at least once with both me and the trainer showing him. Then he picked it up correctly. But he's only the horse really that I've tried that's had any issue at all with that.

I guess in my mind OTTBs and grade horses that are green, restarted but no show miles, should be around $3k to $5k. With show miles or more off property experience, the beginning of lateral ect I would expect the price to be a little higher.
                    Yeah, but prices are going to be higher if the carrying costs for the trainers are higher, like higher board and higher feed and higher gas prices. Also how long the trainer has kept the horse, and how eager they are to sell.

I would also think that almost every price especially going into winter is going to be negotiable downwards to some extent.

Also, the faster the trainer can turn around an OTTB project the more money they are making.

Get an OTTB for $500, put a dozen rides on him, sell him within 2 months for $3000: there's a small profit there after you subtract board costs. Keep the same horse all winter, get into the more difficult or time consuming aspects of fine tuning the training, keep him long enough that his particular resistances and boredoms start to show up, but pay board on him all this time: trainer is going to want a lot more sales price just to cover expenses.

I would try an offer on a horse they haven't had for very long and might not really be expecting to sell this fast. They might see the wisdom in offloading him now, rather than spending six months of time and money trying to put him in the next highest price range.

Comment

A rescued grade QH 5 year old gelding under 15 hands with 120 days for just under $7k???? Let me know where you live so I can move and set up shop!
                      Imho, keep looking....
                      *Eta, I understand about the cost of keeping a horse being higher depending where one lives. Still shocked at that price tag though.

Comment

1 $2500 (good bloodlines for what?)
                        2 $4000
                        3 $2000
                        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Scribbler oh definitely. But horses are really worth what people are willing to pay. I'm happy to pay more for a horse with more training, more time ect.

The QH(that's a guess) has the most training. Just seems high to me for what's still a pretty green horse. I would say he's not the type Western folk (reiners, Western pleasure ect) would really be interested in at that price. And for the Dressage and H/J crowd, well he's small. Putting him more likely marketed towards kids, teens or small adults (me.) I think that would be a factor if I was pricing a grade, unproven horse. Just under $7k feels high to me.

I'm going to see him again but I need to see if they will negotiate because if not then I think it's not a second thought for about my decision!

Comment

I would say $7000 for a small grade rescue horse with only basic training is crazy high.

Around here you can get a really good ranch broke working and trail horse, a registered QH with good all round conformation, for about $5000. Well, not right here in the city but 3 or 4 hours drive up into ranch country. And you can still get a kid's jumper,a TB of maybe 12, ready to go do OK in two fott six or nine, with kiddie show miles, for $5000, certainly under $10,000.

Both QH and OTTB are in surplus generally across North America, and really it's the quality of the training and the ability or potential that sets their price. WB are not in surplus and you can charge a premium for the WB glamor.

Comment

• Original Poster

Training Cupid
                              #1 good bloodlines for racing but also for sport (eventing, Dressage.) He was $5500.

#2 you are on the money!!

#3 is $6500.

Comment

Lunabear1988 go try #2!
                                http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don’t know about for dressage, but for event horses, those unknown QH types often turn out to be the best. Maybe that’s whats driving his price?

Comment

I would pass on the QH.

Too many things are possibly problems. The feet, especially. Don't buy a horse with problem feet. A horse that needs quality farrier work to bring the hooves into balance, and good shape, ok. Or a horse that needs to be on a hoof supplement all the time to grow quality hoof horn, maybe...if you have the time and attention to do that. But don't buy one with problem feet.

The inconsistency with leads, might be a horse that just isn't made to carry weight on his hind end and raise his withers. I prefer a horse that has natural lead changes, they tend to have ability to collect.

And you also don't know why the horse was a rescue in the first place. Could be no fault of the horse. Could be a horse problem that's not hard to fix. Could be something for which you might have to retire or euthanize.

I would consider taking a horse like the QH, riding it and getting it fostered and trained to add value and either keep or sell... but I don't think I would pay that kind of money for that horse.

Comment

The prices on the two TBs seem pretty standard to me-- around here, a big nice gelding who looks suitable to event/ show often goes for more straight off the track or in the first month or two than it does after a year of training (unless it actually competes successfully at BN/ Novice and is marketed by someone who knows what they're doing). At that stage you're still paying for potential, after six months to a year it's often clear that the potential isn't there or temperament or soundness is questionable.

The price for the QH type does seem crazy high, I would expect it to be more like $1500 at this stage.

Comment

I can't comment on the price of an OTTB, but I took an OTTB broodmare (had one foal after racing) and showed her Novice eventing and qualified for First level Regional Championships when the eventing clinician offered $12K for her for a student, and the owner sold. It took me 3 months to put a bridle on her normally because she was freaked out about her ears being touched (probable forced into the gate by her ears). My first dressage show was on the homestretch of a track she raced on! FUN!!! My training and showing really impacted her sale price - also, the new owner didn't want a horse who was very difficult. So, it is worth looking at OTTBs who have *shown* potential (not just "have" potential) and are sound.
                                        Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Working...
                                        X