Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

3255 Davidsonville Rd  Barns

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Braid or not? Update: we braided!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rerider54
    replied
    I don’t braid or wear a jacket at schooling shows... but I have seen both done, together and separately. Do what makes you feel most relaxed. If you don’t braid at least make baby presentable with a evenly short mane. The growing out rubbed spot can be wet down and allowed to dry with a towel over the neck to encourage FLAT hair. You can try this every day at home before the show. As much as I like the idea of just roaching the thing and starting from scratch I am not that brave. If you need an ‘oops’ hand hold consider a grab strap on the front of the saddle. They work well and then you won’t worry about coming away with a handful of mane in an awkward moment.

Leave a comment:

• hoopoe
    replied
    I love a good show turn out. I have braided for schooling shows for two reasons:
    to get my hands back in to the game and to see how my horses responded to having and working in braids.

I have to agree If you are going full dress the unbraided feels a bit off. Some schooling shows insist on dress others are casual. Braiding is an option at USEF shows, but it would be unconventional to go that way

I would probably braid and gel the scragglers into place. You might want to practice braiding and working him while braided

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    Originally posted by Nova2000 View Post

I like the idea of having something to grab 😬
    I always leave an Oh S**t hunk right by the withers

Leave a comment:

• skydy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
    I guess I will be the outlier here, but I *always* braid. Why? Because I consider schooling shows to be practice for the rated ones, and I want to give my horse the full experience so he has some practice and a chance to get used to the entire process. I don't want him to get wound up just because we're now all of a sudden braiding because it's a big show.

For that reason, I'd braid (and not care so much if there is a rubbed spot, because I would be doing it for the horse's benefit and experience, not to impress a judge or any rail birds.)
    One of my childhood riding instructors (though not dressage) insisted on this and it was a very good idea. We were not only "schooling" the horse and our riding at the schooling show, but our grooming of the horse and ourselves, and figuring out the timing as well. Everything did not always go to plan but that was OK. It was "schooling" and we learned what part of our routine needed improvement.

Of course the OP is not a child. Please excuse my excursion down memory lane.

.I've always roached when a horse was missing a section of mane and made sure they couldn't rub it out again. If the need to grab mane is a possibility, can you use a neck strap at the lower levels?

Leave a comment:

• Reynard Ridge
    replied
    If you’re wearing a jacket, braid. If you don’t want to braid, don’t wear the jacket.

Leave a comment:

• angelssix
    replied
    I honestly never saw a braid at the dressage schooling shows I have worked/watched at. But my experience is limited to once geo area. We tend to be laid back and people come here to these local shows for fun/experience. I think it makes it so much easier to ease into the rated shows that way.

Leave a comment:

• outerbanks77
    replied
    I was in the braiding camp until you got to the rubbed out mane part. My mare did that before her first show- yeah, I tried to braid and it looked horrid, there was just no fixing it. We showed unbraided.

FWIW, I bought a special braiding comb that has a hair clip and spot to hold bands. With that and some quick-braid, I can toss passable braids in my mare's mane in about 10 minutes, and I'm not very practiced.

Leave a comment:

• Nova2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Aleuronx View Post
    4 year old at a schooling show? I don't braid, and I LOVE braiding and how it looks.

I've been hitting up the schooling shows in my area with my unbraided 4 year old and I didn't wear my coat. Not a trouble at all, no judges have cared. And the couple of biddies that scoffed at it when I could hear them from across the parking lot tittering on about it, well they can pound sand. Building good experiences for my young horse is more important to me then others thoughts!!
    I wasn’t planning on wearing a coat originally I was just going to wear a polo or my riding shirt. But I walked into the tack store and fell in love with this coat! And it was a good deal. I have it, so why not wear it? LOL

Leave a comment:

• Nova2000
    replied
    Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post
    With a chunk of mane missing, I'd just roach, personally. Braiding not necessary, just tame it as best you can.
    I like the idea of having something to grab 😬

Leave a comment:

• ArabDiva
    replied
    don't braid, just make an effort to look tidy and gleaming clean in all other aspects, and HAVE FUN.

Leave a comment:

• Lucassb
    replied
    I guess I will be the outlier here, but I *always* braid. Why? Because I consider schooling shows to be practice for the rated ones, and I want to give my horse the full experience so he has some practice and a chance to get used to the entire process. I don't want him to get wound up just because we're now all of a sudden braiding because it's a big show.

For that reason, I'd braid (and not care so much if there is a rubbed spot, because I would be doing it for the horse's benefit and experience, not to impress a judge or any rail birds.)

Leave a comment:

• mmeqcenter
    replied
    With a chunk of mane missing, I'd just roach, personally. Braiding not necessary, just tame it as best you can.

Leave a comment:

• GreyDes
    replied
    That’s the best part of schooling shows. No braiding!

Leave a comment:

• HereComesZach
    replied
    I don't braid greenies at schooling shows. I don't like to draw attention to any unsteady contact 😂

Leave a comment:

• MissAriel
    replied
    Honestly, the only reason I would braid/get fully show dressed at a schooling show would be so I could practice my timing to make sure at a rated show I don't run out of time. Not to impress the judge (I've scribed - they really don't care) and certainly not for anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Aleuronx
    replied
    4 year old at a schooling show? I don't braid, and I LOVE braiding and how it looks.

I've been hitting up the schooling shows in my area with my unbraided 4 year old and I didn't wear my coat. Not a trouble at all, no judges have cared. And the couple of biddies that scoffed at it when I could hear them from across the parking lot tittering on about it, well they can pound sand. Building good experiences for my young horse is more important to me then others thoughts!!

Leave a comment:

• 2DogsFarm
    replied
    I have through-the-fence grazers too.
    Worst offender ends up with a nearly-bald middle in his otherwise luxurious, thick mane.
    The Equine Combover
    I roach & let it grow back in over Winter.

If your baby has a nice neck, consider doing the same.
    Clippers are quickest, but I use scissors.
    Not roaching shears, just cheapass scissors.

Leave a comment:

• Nova2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Highflyer View Post
    For a baby at a first schooling show I wouldn't worry about it. Plus you never know if you will need something to grab! 😁
    Good point, true! I will try and plaster it all down to one side at least!

Leave a comment:

• MissAriel
    replied
    Check with people who have been to that schooling show or check with the show organizer. Around here, many people don't braid at schooling shows, although some do.

Technically you are not required to braid at any show. If you really want to braid, you can try to use bobby pins and gel to bring it under control.

My horse rubbed the same spot out - right where the mane switched sides. I guess it is better than rubbing a patch out where it is laying neatly. Luckily I was able to put mesh up so he couldn't reach through and rub his mane, and it grew back enough to wrestle into a braid before we went to any bigger shows where braiding is pretty much expected.

Leave a comment:

• Training Cupid
    replied
    I would just leave unbraided for a schooling show, try to smooth out to one side best I can.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X