Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

_MG_4777-HDR
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Woman Shot at Barisone Farm

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

MB was living in the barn while LK and her fiance lived in the house.
    LK has a history of making threats and stalking.
    LK has said many different things as fact since the event.
    Technically they lived in the apartment, in the house, no?
    Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post

Technically they lived in the apartment, in the house, no?
      I believe it was more like a room, from what I have read here so not sure we can say any of that is facts. They were in the house is a fact. MB was in the barn is a fact.

Comment

Just because you don't type out THE EXACT WORDS....doesn't mean it isn't being said. Some readers are smart enough to read through the symantics....there are more to words than the basic words typed. It is very obvious how many posters stand and the constant denial like this just makes y'all look as crazy as you think LK is.
        And that is your own problem then. Because me personally, that is not at all what I meant so there is nothing beyond the "semantics". And I'm kind of sad you see it that way. I always like things you post. But I think you are looking too deeply into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RainWeasley View Post
          Honestly I kind of think that the people that keep saying everyone says LK deserved to be shot are just reading what they want to. I've only seen a veeeery few people actually say that, and most of them have been rejected. I don't understand why you guys are not understanding that people saying LK instigated it is NOT saying that she deserved to be shot with the intent to kill. It's saying that she played a part in this and is not an innocent victim. She is still a victim, but not an innocent victim. There IS a difference. It doesn't matter when it comes to the court rulings, but for some people it still matters to them personally. And if it comes out officially that he had started bullying her (actual evidence of it, like we have seen for her being awful to people) and that instigated everything else, all of those people will probably change their personal view of the whole thing yet again.

Point being, just because people don't believe she was innocent in all of this a)doesn't mean they think she should have been shot and b) doesn't make them insane and awful.

And it's freaking ridiculous that this has to be repeated over and over because some people can't wrap their heads around it. Not sure why I even bother saying anything, call it one last attempt to make them understand and defend my own viewpoint.

And if you are just calling those few people that have actually said she deserved to be shot insane and awful, then say that. Don't say that everyone is saying that. Because we aren't.
          Let's also add that Barisone claims the shooting was in self defense..... I doubt that he coaxed her off the porch (where she claims she was) and then just pulled the trigger.... but we don't really know, and that's the point. Everyone wishes this had not happened, but we all wonder why it did and what actions were taken on both sides that lead to such a tragedy.

Comment

• I have to assume some of the difference of opinion here is how we all view the world. There's right and wrong, I don't honestly think anyone is arguing that what MB did was right. HOWEVER, there's also a lot of gray, in that there might be contributing factors to why people do things.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'm not perfect. If under the constant harassment of LK (assuming what has been described in this thread is accurate) I can't say I wouldn't have reacted irrationally. My emotions, stress level, outrage, could very possibly take over. I'm not comfortable with guns so that wouldn't be likely, but I don't have such a high opinion of myself that I can say I would be able to stay sane and logical through this whole situation.

That is where I'm coming from in saying anything along the lines of "she had it coming" because making someone's life hell, you take the risk of them not reacting rationally anymore. She's done it to enough people, from what we can tell, so at some point her luck had to run out and someone was going to fight back. No, it's not the perfect, logical, saintly thing to do, but we are human, and we make mistakes, and we act irrationally. For MB, that involved a gun. It still isn't clear how that came to be (Was he carrying it for protection 24/7, so of course had it on him when he went to talk to them? Did he go there planning to shoot one or both of them?), so I won't pretend to have those answers.

It's sad all around, but I have a hard time being purely sympathetic for LK. I do hope she realizes her own issues and gets some professional help so that maybe she can get her life on track.

Comment

And that is your own problem then. Because me personally, that is not at all what I meant so there is nothing beyond the "semantics". And I'm kind of sad you see it that way. I always like things you post. But I think you are looking too deeply into it.
              I am glad to hear you don't feel that way, I believe many others feel otherwise though. It is sad. I do agree that actions have consequences and that if you act a fool bad things can happen, but what I don't believe is that LK was the only one in this scenario acting a fool. I also don't think, there is enough facts for some of the stances seen on this board. A lot of leaping to conclusions that fit the outlook people want.

That being said, acting a fool shouldn't mean that now people are obsessing over you, stalking your online presence, repeatedly starting threads about your life, contacting anyone who may have known you etc. And this is not directed at you Rain, but to say there is no hate towards LK on this board while witnessing those actions is contradictory to my mind.

I always joke about how cheating, or lying can get you killed. These things are almost always present in domestic murders, I have seen it time and time again, but it doesn't mean the victim is no longer a victim just because they were a cheating asshole.
              Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Throwing my 2 cents in just cause:
                There are two victims here.
                MB and LK.
                LK because she was shot.
                MB because by LK's own admissions in several posts on social media bragging about her actions and behavior toward MB and his family.

We don't know if he brought the weapon with him in order to kill her, or merely to try and threaten her.
                We do know she was shot twice, it is alleged , by MB.

I have a hard time believing LK's account of the events because she has different accounts on different days and I hardly think that the man with her would be a credible witness.

I value a lot of the thoughtful posts on this subject, but with all due respect, none of our opinions about this really matters unless we will be called for jury duty.

The legal points of the crime fascinate me, because I am Law & Order junkie. Although true crime doesn't usually interest me.

I try always to remind myself that true justice doesn't really exist but we do the best we can with what we have.

Absolutely no one can account for how jurors decide or even how judges will rule in a case that seems to us to be cut and dried.

I am sorry that LK got shot, glad that she recovered, and I am sorry that MB felt this was his only option.

Carry on
                Certified Guacophobe

Comment

That being said, acting a fool shouldn't mean that now people are obsessing over you, stalking your online presence, repeatedly starting threads about your life, contacting anyone who may have known you etc.
                  100%. Definitely agree with you there.

Comment

• Originally posted by tryintogethere View Post

1. No one was killed.

2. You really cannot think of an instance where a “victim” was “asking for it”? Because I sure can! If a man was abusing his wife/gf/so, and she shot him, or if a child being abused shot their abuser I bet you would be singing a very different tune! (Just some examples of shooting “victims” that may not be victims after all)

3. Having a history of “being extreme” does matter if you are fearing for your safety because of past history. I think that is probably why prison guards have guns. Again NO ONE WAS KILLED!!

4. We do not know what took place at the house, given MB’s injuries, the statement from LK that AFTER being shot “2 times center mass point blank” she was able to jump on MB, smash her phone in his ear, breaking her phone in his ear, while keeping him off of RG, it might seem like the timeframe of the “victim’s” account could maybe be off by a few minutes.

I have no love for LK. I am glad that she survived. I hope that no one else gets sucked into her black hole of evilness and that no one else goes through the nighmare that MB, MH and the rest of the people that were living at the farm during that period, went through!
                    BINGO!!!!! Until someone has witnessed LK's behavior or actually been a victim of it, it is hard to comprehend the actions of MB.

Lk's and RG's timeline simply don't add up. BTW, it is only THEIR statements that have been published. No one other than the few statements made by MB's original attorney at his hearing have said anything public. Not MB or MHG or anyone else actually there that day!

Comment

• Originally posted by eggbutt View Post

BINGO!!!!! Until someone has witnessed LK's behavior or actually been a victim of it, it is hard to comprehend the actions of MB.

Lk's and RG's timeline simply don't add up. BTW, it is only THEIR statements that have been published. No one other than the few statements made by MB's original attorney at his hearing have said anything public. Not MB or MHG or anyone else actually there that day!
                      It is not about comprehension. There are those of us who would NOT take a gun with us to go talk to someone, let alone shoot them.

Yes her behavior is reprehensible but railing on about how she plays the victim all the time (which I agree she does) comes off as people wanting her to admit she deserved to get shot or say if she wasn’t such an asshat she never would have gotten shot. She shouldn’t have gotten shot period.

Comment

Just because you don't type out THE EXACT WORDS....doesn't mean it isn't being said. Some readers are smart enough to read through the symantics....there are more to words than the basic words typed. It is very obvious how many posters stand and the constant denial like this just makes y'all look as crazy as you think LK is.
                        Beyond semantics there is pragmatics -- the part of linguistics where ambiguities are resolved through prior information, interpreting intent of speaker, principles of conversational cooperation, etc.

There is no entailment in the posts in question that LK deserved to be shot (setting aside a few roundly rejected individual specimens). That's the semantic information that you admit does not support your interpretation. You seem to be asserting, then, that questioning LK's innocence in the larger conflict carries an implicature that she deserved to be shot. And yet, not only do many, many other posters (a majority perhaps) not interpret other posters' intent that way, we also have many posters adding "not saying she should have been shot" disclaimers to their posts, to explicitly signal their intent and make it maximally clear that no implicature of justified use of firearms exists in their statements.

That you persist in attributing a more sinister intent to posters who have both implicitly and explicitly signalled that they do not intend to imply that LK deserved to be shot says a whole lot more about your perspective than it does about those other posters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                          Yes her behavior is reprehensible but railing on about how she plays the victim all the time (which I agree she does) comes off as people wanting her to admit she deserved to get shot or say if she wasn’t such an asshat she never would have gotten shot. She shouldn’t have gotten shot period.
                          "If she [weren't] such an asshat she never would have gotten shot." That counterfactual conditional statement may be true. It does not entail, though, that being an asshat got her shot. You can believe that first statement and still logically believe that "she shouldn't have gotten shot, period".

In the real world, LK was an asshat, and she got shot. In some possible alternative worlds, she was an asshat but didn't get shot (thanks to a more measured response by MB, or resolution through legal channels earlier, or myriad other imaginable, less catastrophic trajectories for the conflict). In at least one possible LK-asshat world the shooting happened -- the real world shooting is evidence of this. In many (most? all?) possible worlds where LK was never an asshat, the larger conflict that led to the shooting wouldn't have happened, and LK wouldn't have gotten shot.

Without having any evidence that suggests MB (a public figure with no prior violent crimes on his record) is a murderous villain with criminal motives unrelated to the housing/harassment/child protective services conflict, it's entirely possible to believe that in all worlds where LK isn't an asshat, MB would not have attempted to murder her. And that belief is not incompatible with a belief that MB should not have attempted to murder her.

So yeah. She should't have gotten shot. But discussing the events that happened and thinking about how such a tragedy came to pass (or thinking counterfactually about ways it might have been prevented) does not entail any malice toward LK or belief that she deserved to be shot.

Comment

Entirely agree with this and your preceding post. All of us read and assess and process with our own perceptions, biases, prejudices, etc in place. There's not 'seeing through semantics' in this case- it's seeing what you want to see and refusing to be dissuaded or even OPEN to the notion that there's another way(s) of processing differently.

Comment

She shouldn’t have gotten shot period.
                              Agreed, and perhaps next time she is told to leave someone's property or perhaps mind her own business, she actually will!!!

Comment

• Since I have grown tired of being accused of victim shaming, let me just go for it!! Lauren had her viscous dog off the leash and outside (after being told by authorities to keep it confined after biting people), and she AND Rob were waiting for Barisone to come up after the interview with CPS. Don't expect me to ever believe this couple were innocent victims just minding their own business while doing everything in their power to provoke exactly what happened. The real question is what was Lauren's expectation of her behaviour?? Did she deserve to be shot? I can't answer that, but I fully support the self defense aspect. For the life of me I can't imagine being shot however many times and still having the strength to attack Michael, beating him around his head to the point of breaking her cell phone while her dog is chewing on his arm and her lapdog boyfriend pummels Barisone on the ground. Can you explain that to me?

Comment

• Originally posted by eggbutt View Post
                                  Since I have grown tired of being accused of victim shaming, let me just go for it!! Lauren had her viscous dog off the leash and outside (after being told by authorities to keep it confined after biting people), and she AND Rob were waiting for Barisone to come up after the interview with CPS. Don't expect me to ever believe this couple were innocent victims just minding their own business while doing everything in their power to provoke exactly what happened. The real question is what was Lauren's expectation of her behaviour?? Did she deserve to be shot? I can't answer that, but I fully support the self defense aspect. For the life of me I can't imagine being shot however many times and still having the strength to attack Michael, beating him around his head to the point of breaking her cell phone while her dog is chewing on his arm and her lapdog boyfriend pummels Barisone on the ground. Can you explain that to me?
                                  Where did any of that information come from?

Comment

Where did any of that information come from?
                                    Every bit came from this long thread.

Comment

• Dear me a sticky oozy dog. Quote eggbutt"! Lauren had her viscous dog off the leash and outside (after being told by authorities to " Unquote

Doggone I missed the stickydog in the info.

Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

• Originally posted by x-halt-salute View Post

Beyond semantics there is pragmatics -- the part of linguistics where ambiguities are resolved through prior information, interpreting intent of speaker, principles of conversational cooperation, etc.

There is no entailment in the posts in question that LK deserved to be shot (setting aside a few roundly rejected individual specimens). That's the semantic information that you admit does not support your interpretation. You seem to be asserting, then, that questioning LK's innocence in the larger conflict carries an implicature that she deserved to be shot. And yet, not only do many, many other posters (a majority perhaps) not interpret other posters' intent that way, we also have many posters adding "not saying she should have been shot" disclaimers to their posts, to explicitly signal their intent and make it maximally clear that no implicature of justified use of firearms exists in their statements.

That you persist in attributing a more sinister intent to posters who have both implicitly and explicitly signalled that they do not intend to imply that LK deserved to be shot says a whole lot more about your perspective than it does about those other posters.

Sure, but this response also implies a sort of one or the other side of the fence, or black and white if you will, in terms of the intent of the conversation here. I agree with the poster above who said they value a lot of the thoughtful posts. For me those are the ones speculating on the 5Ws and H's, without endlessly diagnosing certain players with a myriad of mental illnesses or getting vicious in their character deconstructions.

Which brings me to the other obvious theme on this thread made up of some of the 'she didn't deserve to get shot but ' agenda seeking crowd who use it as a screen to then follow up with inflated hyperbole squeezed out of unverified or even malicious rumours. And as far as I can tell, all for reasons not fully explained .. other than an opportunity for a bit too much gleeful hand rubbing while trashing the victim.

That's not being acknowledged and I can assure you as a mostly lurker (here) reading from the outside and looking in, it's as present as any other angle on this thread. No comment on the phenomena itself other than to confirm that yes, it is prominently woven into the dialogue.

PS I know I'm responding to something intended for Jealoushe but it happened to hit on the points I wanted to address.
                                        One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.
                                        William Shakespeare

Comment

• Reading this thread and the NYT article I started thinking. What if someone was trying to take away the person I hold dearest to me? My mother. My husband. My best friend of 20 years. I would fight. And in a moment of extreme pressure I might do ANYTHING it took to prevent that from happening, anything. You don't make a call to ICE or CPS without the sole intention of trying to ruin someone's life. We've all seen the news of families being torn apart at the borders, its gut wrenching. It appears she was trying to replicate and inflict that pain and fear. I don't know how any of her friends can defend those actions, they are inhuman.

I'm not rejoicing that she was shot, but...the chickens have come home to roost.

Comment

Working...
                                          X