Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

EREP-2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Girth for Difficult Conformation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girth for Difficult Conformation

My horse has a narrow forward girth area that is tough to fit. She's well sprung so the billets never lineup on any saddle I ever put on her. The County Logic is too stiff and wide and she doesn't like the hard edges. She also does not like the Fairfax girth even the narrower one, or the Total Saddle Fit girth. The girth she likes the best is a cheap Thornhill synthetic fleece but the elastic on each end is too stretchy. I'd love to try a Mattes crescent girth but at $270 that's way out of my budget. Any other suggestions?

You might try the Toklat fleece girth (they make both a synthetic and a wool one). I have used one (the Woolback one) with my dressage saddle for my horse. On my jumping saddle I've used a County Logic because of the forward girth groove, but the Toklat works well with the dressage saddle.

Here's a link to the Woolback:

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Tokl...page-TWEG.html
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Comment

Do you need the ergonomic cut? Maybe something that is just slightly curved. Albion makes one that is really nice? BTW, totally agree on the County Logic girths - they are hard, hard, hard - one of my horses got sores from it, just because it was so hard!

My Pony is very narrow through the chest (and girth groove), plus he's compact, so there just isn't a lot of room there. I got him a girth that looks similar to the Albion (they didn't make one SMALL enough), and it is working well. The Albions are really nice, I used one on a couple of horses for years - sadly, one of my horses slipped and FELL on it, and really scraped and tore it up, otherwise, I'd offer it up to try.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
        Do you need the ergonomic cut? Maybe something that is just slightly curved. Albion makes one that is really nice? BTW, totally agree on the County Logic girths - they are hard, hard, hard - one of my horses got sores from it, just because it was so hard!

My Pony is very narrow through the chest (and girth groove), plus he's compact, so there just isn't a lot of room there. I got him a girth that looks similar to the Albion (they didn't make one SMALL enough), and it is working well. The Albions are really nice, I used one on a couple of horses for years - sadly, one of my horses slipped and FELL on it, and really scraped and tore it up, otherwise, I'd offer it up to try.
        Thanks Mystic. What brand did you end up getting? Do you have a picture of it by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Maude View Post
          My horse has a narrow forward girth area that is tough to fit. She's well sprung so the billets never lineup on any saddle I ever put on her. The County Logic is too stiff and wide and she doesn't like the hard edges. She also does not like the Fairfax girth even the narrower one, or the Total Saddle Fit girth. The girth she likes the best is a cheap Thornhill synthetic fleece but the elastic on each end is too stretchy. I'd love to try a Mattes crescent girth but at $270 that's way out of my budget. Any other suggestions?
          If the cheapie is great except for the elastics, I wonder if you could have a saddle repair person replace them with a firmer elastic?

Comment

Did you try the TSF StretchTec? (but that's not the one we settled on....) Bravo has a very forward girth groove and very well sprung ribs - so girthing has really been a challenge. I tried them ALL. I finally found a girth Bravo likes -its the synthetic version of the Fairfax, and I bought the longest one I could manage. It's a LOT softer than the Fairfax (I have one), and the longer length seemed to put the elbow curves in the right place, and brought the buckles/girth end up above that fatty area just below the shoulder blade at top of girth groove....

Comment

Nunn Finer Piaffe girth https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Nunn...age-NFPDG.html

Comment

I had a lot of luck with mikmar, but they are super pricey. I found one used. My horse hated TSF and other anatomicals.

Comment

My fussy boy likes his StretchTec with neoprene liner. They make a fleece liner as well as a leather option (my other horse has the leather liner on his StretchTec).

But I'll echo the suggestion to replace the elastic on your cheap girth that she likes, though if the give is part of why she likes it she may change her opinion.

Comment

I'll second the Mikmar. My picky horse loves his.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Toblersmom View Post

If the cheapie is great except for the elastics, I wonder if you could have a saddle repair person replace them with a firmer elastic?
                      Toblerdmom, I have thought of that. She likes squishy edges. No firm edges like leather or the stiffer fuzzy girths. I tried a girth without elastic and she was not comfortable.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mlb722 View Post
                        I had a lot of luck with mikmar, but they are super pricey. I found one used. My horse hated TSF and other anatomicals.
                        I had the Mikmar. It had too much stretch

Comment

Have you tried the Ovation Gel Bodyform? It is synthetic, shaped similar to the Mattes Crescent, squishy edges, good elastic ends. I’ve used it on a bunch of different horses with good results.
                          "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

Ovation Europa fleece girth is like $80 from Stateline Tack. I bought one recently and I'm pleased with it so far. It's very soft at the edges, and I like that the whole thing can go in the washer (haven't washed it yet though).

If you want a Mattes, Hufglocken.com has 15% off custom orders currently with code WINTER15, which would at least bring it down closer to the $200 price point, or you could get an in-stock girth for a little less.

Comment

One of my mares is similar conformation to yours and was having girth issues this summer. A saddle fitter recommended a County Logic---but I waffled on buying it because it was kind of pricey. So, I ignored the advice and kept riding with the girth that works so well for my other horse (one that is wide in the middle and narrows at the ends). Anyway---she ended up getting a girth gall and my mare was NOT a happy horse once that happened. I added a fleecy cover to the party---and that helped for about a week---and then it made things worse (just too much "bulk" bunched into a narrow girth pocket, and it caused some swelling right behind her elbow.

I ended up buying a TSF Stretch Tec with the fleece backing. It seemed to solve our problems immediately. She is happy in it and no more girth galls. They are very generous with their return policy--may be worth trying it.

Also---not sure if you have explored this---but does your saddle have a point billet? That can make a difference for horses with a narrow girth pocket. Sometimes you need a combination of a point billet plus a contoured girth to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Maude View Post

Thanks Mystic. What brand did you end up getting? Do you have a picture of it by chance?
                                This is kind of crazy, but I don't even know what the brand is! One of our saddle fitters brought a bunch in from the UK, including some SMALL ones because she had a few pony clients. I just bought it because it FIT and it was small enough.

Comment

Your horse sounds like mine, Maude.

I'm currently using this girth and she approves. I find the elastic to be the appropriate stiffness for both of our preferences. It's thin enough that the edging does not irritate her (mentally or physically). It's not perfect; obviously there's no ergonomic factor to help with the fact that her girth groove is so forward. But she's not complaining so I haven't wanted to change. My mare hated all the ergonomic girths I tried. She also hates wide girths. She also hates bulky girths that stick out off her body more than 1/4" or so. I had no idea a horse could have so many opinions about a girth until we started down this dressage path-- she doesn't seem to be nearly as picky with long girths for her jump saddle.
                                  Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

This one works for us

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/sm...e-girth-10573l

After trying some expensive ergonomic girths, this was the best.
                                    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

Originally posted by slp2 View Post

Also---not sure if you have explored this---but does your saddle have a point billet? That can make a difference for horses with a narrow girth pocket. Sometimes you need a combination of a point billet plus a contoured girth to make it work.
                                      Good point. My saddle has a point billet and even with the StretchTec girth I have to cross billets so the point billet is vertical to the rear buckle (and be very careful to not tighten the girth too much).

Comment

I use the same girth with a fleece cover as Texarkana on a well sprung mare. We both love it, the mare for the fit, me for the price and it can go in the washing machine or hosed off.
                                        "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Comment

Working...
                                        X