Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Copy of asbury aerial
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

2nd Level Test in Germany

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Level Test in Germany

https://youtu.be/6a1xIFczsjA

I was looking for something on YouTube and saw this video. It’s an official introduction to that test so I am sure it’s ok to post it, Please ignore the German commentator, just watch the rider... It’s pretty impressive for 2nd level I think
    Last edited by Manni01; Jul. 9, 2019, 04:09 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
    https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Lovely horse. Lovely Rider. And what I would expect from a rider showing 2nd Level.

The problem with US riders is that they think that their upper limit is an aspiration to 1st level.

Every rider should have an aspiration and train like they are on their way to GP. Now reality may not let them get there, but what I around me is people who limit their thinking about what is possible.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

Very nice horse, (and rider) interesting test to watch. Re pluvinel's comment - yes we have a different mindset - but here's my thought based on some anecdotal evidence - self included. For a zillion years from college onward my personal goals and focus related to my job/career. It was stressful and very time consuming.
      I had a horse most of that time, and along the way did some showing in several disciplines. But that time and effort was my source of relaxation, my sanity away from the corporate world, one of my major sources of exercises, my escape. I had no interest in really pushing myself and adding stress. Now I'm much older, and it was only about 7 or so years ago ( well into my 50's) that I began to push myself in riding - I had the time and the money and the drive.

Many of my friends are the same - they like lessons, but they ride for fun; are not driven to move up the levels, their drive is focused elsewhere.

Comment

Lovely ride and lovely horse. Showing what I would expect at this level from a professional rider on a high quality, up and coming top sport horse.

in my fantasy life, when I am this person, this is what I would expect of myself, too.

Comment

Originally posted by pluvinel View Post
          Lovely horse. Lovely Rider. And what I would expect from a rider showing 2nd Level.

The problem with US riders is that they think that their upper limit is an aspiration to 1st level.

Every rider should have an aspiration and train like they are on their way to GP. Now reality may not let them get there, but what I around me is people who limit their thinking about what is possible.
          The problem with sniffy critics is that they think that everybody should have the same motivations and aspirations, and assume everybody has the same resources (time, money, access to quality instructor/trainer, quality of horseflesh, personal physical ability, general interest and enthusiasm on the topic). To me, one of the beauties of dressage, much like running, is that people can have goals and aspirations that are quite modest, even extremely modest, and increase the chances that they will achieve those goals and get the satisfaction THEY want, without interfering one whit with the people who are shooting for the stars. What does it matter to you if somebody is happily puttering about at 1st level and trying to beat their own last score? Or isn't even trying to do that and is happy with doing the same thing at the same quality that they've been doing? Why is that a "problem" for you or for the sport as a whole?

Comment

Not sure what the point is for this post? And - not a 2nd level test. L is a mid-lower level test - it contains some of the work from 3rd and even 4th level.

I am making a few assumptions here - do you post this wondering why our riders don't look like this at 2nd level? If so, please review some of our better trainers on fancier young horses. This rider is a trainer on a very talented young horse. Does not Germany also have regular riders on regular horses? I wouldn't compare this ride to an average AA rider on their $10k horse, it isn't a reasonable comparison!

I know several good trainers in my region, and they all look this nice when they are working with fancy youngsters too. I actually think this horse looks pretty tight in the contact, closed in the neck and throat latch. I'm NOT saying I could do better, just pointing out, this is not the ideal ride either.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what your point is? You are in FL, do you not see some rides of this quality at shows? Yes, this is a quality horse and a quality rider. Totally agree. We also have quality horses and quality riders in the US.

Comment

It's a nice horse and rider, but it is not equivalent to the American 2nd level.

And no, not all riders in Germany are good MysticOakRanch
              I am a regular rider on a regular horse in Germany. There are others like me.

Comment

Originally posted by Toblersmom View Post

The problem with sniffy critics is that they think that everybody should have the same motivations and aspirations, and assume everybody has the same resources (time, money, access to quality instructor/trainer, quality of horseflesh, personal physical ability, general interest and enthusiasm on the topic). To me, one of the beauties of dressage, much like running, is that people can have goals and aspirations that are quite modest, even extremely modest, and increase the chances that they will achieve those goals and get the satisfaction THEY want, without interfering one whit with the people who are shooting for the stars. What does it matter to you if somebody is happily puttering about at 1st level and trying to beat their own last score? Or isn't even trying to do that and is happy with doing the same thing at the same quality that they've been doing? Why is that a "problem" for you or for the sport as a whole?
                I absolutely agree with Tobler's statement I bolded above - it is one of my favorite parts of dressage that I can go in the ring and achieve the goals I set for myself irrespective of how I compare with others showing that day. Failure to understand that is part of why dressage is having a problem with declining entries at so many shows now. The shows more and more are gearing towards those shooting for the stars (and who have the money to pursue that course), and not at all about the "Discover the Joy" marketing BS being chucked about everywhere.
                "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by CanteringCarrot View Post
                  It's a nice horse and rider, but it is not equivalent to the American 2nd level.

You made me smile!

Comment

I think it is not about riding shows yes or no, but about correct riding in dressage, so no matter what your goals are or what kind of horse you have - never with an average trainer.

Comment

That would be super impressive if it was a 2nd level horse, but it's not.

I didn't get past the first TOH and trot off, but from the few minutes I did see, I can tell you that 2nd level does not have canter entrances, 8m voltes, or half pass.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everybody for all your input! A lot of you noticed things I was noticing too... first of all it is 2nd level in Germany... no flying change which starts to be included in 3rd level!! This is a German 2nd Level test!

Comment

Originally posted by Manni01 View Post
                          Thank you everybody for all your input! A lot of you noticed things I was noticing too... first of all it is 2nd level in Germany... no flying change which starts to be included in 3rd level!! This is a German 2nd Level test!
                          Umm, I googled German Dressage test and found this at the German Horse Center website. I'm not seeing a "2nd" or "3rd" level.
                          Dressage Tests

Class Gaits, Tempi & Transitions Movements
                          E - Preliminary Test Medium walk (min. 40 m consecutive), working trot, working canter To go large, circles, change through the whole arena
                          A - Novice Test In addition to Class E: medium trot, medium canter In addition to Class E: voltes (10 m), serpentines, leg yielding, rein back
                          L - Elementary Test In addition to Class A: collected trot, collected canter In addition to Class A: counter canter, walk pirouette, volte in canter, simple change
                          M - Medium Test In addition to Class L: extended walk, extended trot, extended canter, collected walk In addition to Class L: shoulder-in, half pass, rein-back, flying change
                          S - Advanced Test As in Class M In addition to Class M: canter pirouettes, tempi changes every 2, 3 and 4 strides
                          S - Intermediaire/ Grand Prix As in Class M In addition: piaffe, passage, tempi change every stride
                          This is an overview of the German horse competition tests.

Comment

No, it is NOT 2nd level. The flying change is not the definition of 3rd level, it is just ONE of the movements that is added at 3rd level. In fact, if you go back a few decades, the flying change was not added until 3rd level Test 2. You have ridden our 2nd level tests, you must realize we don't do half pass, canter/halt, and some of the other more advanced movements seen in the L test?

Comment

Originally posted by CanteringCarrot View Post
                              Hahaha, yeah, I figured that - it was kind of a "tongue in cheek" question

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by atlatl View Post

Umm, I googled German Dressage test and found this at the German Horse Center website. I'm not seeing a "2nd" or "3rd" level.
                                Dressage Tests

Class Gaits, Tempi & Transitions Movements
                                E - Preliminary Test Medium walk (min. 40 m consecutive), working trot, working canter To go large, circles, change through the whole arena
                                A - Novice Test In addition to Class E: medium trot, medium canter In addition to Class E: voltes (10 m), serpentines, leg yielding, rein back
                                L - Elementary Test In addition to Class A: collected trot, collected canter In addition to Class A: counter canter, walk pirouette, volte in canter, simple change
                                M - Medium Test In addition to Class L: extended walk, extended trot, extended canter, collected walk In addition to Class L: shoulder-in, half pass, rein-back, flying change
                                S - Advanced Test As in Class M In addition to Class M: canter pirouettes, tempi changes every 2, 3 and 4 strides
                                S - Intermediaire/ Grand Prix As in Class M In addition: piaffe, passage, tempi change every stride
                                Whatever..... if it makes you feel better....of course it has a different name in Germany It is called L-Dressur.... Don’t you do your judges education?? It’s a pity you don’t learn anything about levels in other countries....

Comment

• Original Poster

😀😀 found it... not sure whether you guys accept this article..... probably not, but it can still post it... https://dressagetoday.com/theory/an-...petition-52890

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Samantha37 View Post
                                    That would be super impressive if it was a 2nd level horse, but it's not.

I didn't get past the first TOH and trot off, but from the few minutes I did see, I can tell you that 2nd level does not have canter entrances, 8m voltes, or half pass.
                                    My personal opinion is that this horse is more advanced then 2nd level, because for me the canter looks extremly collected and under control...

But I looked up the test for a friend of mine who is riding this exact 2nd level test in Germany this weekend.... Not sure whether it will look like this, because the rider in this video is a pro and the horse looks very advanced to me and my friend is a regular AA.

MOR I hope I answered your question now, why I posted this video.... I was looking for my friend in YouTube for a video of this test and found this one... I was impressed and wanted to share it... But now I guess I need to apologize because nobody is interested anything different view at all.....

And the guy who is commenting it is explaining why they have a canter entrance and so on....This is one of the most difficult 2nd level tests which already leads toward 3rd level...

Comment

Perhaps when discussing levels in other countries it would be wise to use the correct terminology for that country, as saying second level refers to a specific skill set in this country while L-dressur is something quite different and more advanced? That would also follow your comment about learning about levels in other countries.
                                      Last edited by Unfforgettable; Jul. 11, 2019, 09:39 AM.
                                      "Argue for your limitations and you get to keep them."
                                      -Richard S. Bach

Comment

Whatever..... if it makes you feel better....of course it has a different name in Germany It is called L-Dressur.... Don’t you do your judges education?? It’s a pity you don’t learn anything about levels in other countries....
                                        Clearly I’m not the one that needs to feels better. Even if one were to just count the levels, L wouldn’t be 2nd, but whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                        X