Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

CR groom space
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Does anyone ride in a Fairfax Gareth or Monoflap? Need size advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone ride in a Fairfax Gareth or Monoflap? Need size advice

I know this is so subjective but I really want a Fairfax monoflap dressage saddle and I have found some great prices online. I just can't decide if I can get away with a 17" seat after riding in a Black Country Eloquence for years that is a 17.5".

I know the Fairfax is a deeper seat and my coach's saddle (not a fairfax but similar style) is a 17" and it fits me fine. I'm 5.8" so I typically feel like a need a larger seat to accommodate the length of my thigh but I rode in a 17.5: thorowgood T8 which I am pretty sure uses the same tree, and it feels a little big.

So.... sorry for the ramble but does the how does the Fairfax seat size compare to other saddles in general?

Unless you can trialing it, I would not risk it. In addition to the seat being deeper, the Gareth has a lot bigger blocks than the other saddles. I sell all of the above saddles.
    Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
    www.thesaddlefits.com
    Society of Master Saddlers Qualified Fitter

Comment

I ride in a Fairfax cob (I don't think they are made anymore, but it's their original dual flap model that takes the shorter S bars, similar to the Thorowgood cob saddles) Mine is a 17.5" inch and I am 5'7", 157 lbs and I don't think I would fit in a 17".

I've typically always been a 17.5" so I would say it is pretty true to size.

Comment

I trialed a Fairfax Gareth recently and returned it because it rode big and the 17, which is normally ok, really did feel too large for me.

If you can trial it, it's definitely worth trying!

Comment

What is the twist like on the Fairfax? I like a medium wide one and am currently trying out a Kent and Masters but the twist is just too narrow. I believe the same saddlery makes both saddles and my horse like the K&M.

Comment

I have a Fairfax Gareth. I've had it for a little over a year now. I tried a Kent and Masters but the twist was quite narrow I think. It felt like sitting on the top part of the letter A. I'm assuming the Gareth has a wider twist. Either way, it felt better to me.

I have a 17.5 and I typically ride in a 17.5 in everything else. It fits me fine. I could possibly get away with a 17, but ultimately the 17.5 is best. I am 5'4 and I did get the short flap as I felt like the flap ran rather long, but I do have a relatively long femur. I find the blocks to be in the right place and so far it's been a comfortable saddle. I've seen some for sale (UK) in nice condition for good prices.

My horse seems to like the saddle and the gullet plate is easy to change. He can go between a wide and medium wide if he has to be out of work for some reason, and the saddle fitter taught be how to access and change the gullet plate. I still have it checked about every 6 months or so, but the wool has stayed quite nice.

I really don't find that it runs all that large in the seat.

Comment

Working...
            X