Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

BHCH10
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Less Traditional Show Attire (what is "conservative" in color?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less Traditional Show Attire (what is "conservative" in color?)

Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I tried searching using many different key words/phrases and couldn't find anything so please forgive me if this is a common question/observation.

I recently fell back into showing after about 5 years away from competitions (getting my bachelors degree and wasn't able to ride often enough to train for a show and didn't have the money). A few weeks ago I attended a pretty large show for my state and noticed much more variation in show attire and saddlepad coloring than what I remembered from frequent showing throughout my teens just 5 years ago (think hunter green coats with matching hunter green saddlepads in the showring). I know USDF rules for horse and rider attire say "conservative" but I saw people who really straddled that line...and it was awesome.

So I suppose my question is, how do you usually dress yourself and your horse for a show? Not a schooling show but an actual qualifying show. Where do you think the line of "conservative color" is or should be? Definitely thinking of revamping my old-school black and white look for my next show but curious about what this community thinks. Finally, I'm obsessed with this pad and I think the blue piping is fine but wondering if the blue fleece is crossing the aforementioned line. https://www.hufglocken.com/collectio..e-velvet-blues

Edit to say: I agree with you all and think I'll forego on this pad for showing due to the color and the logo. They do have a custom pad option so perhaps you'll see me with a more conservative variation in the future!

Thanks!
    Last edited by dressagefjord807; Jun. 12, 2019, 07:11 AM.

I don't have answers to your questions, but I just wanted to say, I'm now obsessed with that pad, too! (Don't worry, I won't buy one of the last ones out from under you!)
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I would not risk that pad unless I knew for sure, and had it in writing, from USEF that it was OK. Beautiful, but not conservative, in my book.
      "She is not fragile like a flower. She is fragile like a bomb."

Comment

I have shown in this pad: at recognized shows with no issues. It is pink and grey.
        This USG Quilted All Purpose Pad in Khaki with Pink Trim has a tasteful color combination that will look great with your other horse tack.  This pad is available in full size which measures 24...

Comment

The Mattes logo is a problem unless you are sponsored by them or pin your number over it.

Gorgeous pad. What color is your horse?

I recently saw someone show at a large rated show in a beautiful blue coat on a dark bay -nearly black horse. It might have been the Horseware Motionlite coat in aviator blue

personally, since I ride a spotted Knabstrupper, I keep things pretty conservative - all black tack, boots and helmet, silver beaded browband with no crystals, white pad and shirt. I do wear a navy coat just because I look like a corpse in black.
          "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

I am personally a very traditional black and white girl. I wouldn’t risk anything too far from the norm in the saddle pad department but have seen jackets of all colours in the ring this year: chocolate, navy, pale grey, burgundy, olive, tan, royal blue - colours are definitely getting brighter and more varied.

Comment

I wear a grey Kerrits Coat, and love it. It looks great on both of my grey mares. I also have a plain black Kerrits Coat, and just bought a darker dusty blue one. I definitely see colors outside of black and navy at the local rated show that I attend. I think it depends on how bold you want to be, and what looks great with your horses color. Western riders know this, some colors work better than other depending on your horse. On the flip side, I always wear my black helmet, black boots, white gloves, and a neutral saddle pad. I cannot afford to color coordinate my jacket to my helmet and boots. So if it doesn’t go with black and white, I will not buy it.

Comment

I am new to dressage and have been told conservative colors would be black, white, navy, and gray. I did buy a burgundy coat I’m obsessed with, though. I wouldn’t consider this pad to be conservative, though it is very pretty, but you could always ask USEF.
                Custom tack racks!
                www.mmeqcenter.com/tacklove.html

Comment

the Logo on the saddle pad makes it non-USEF compliant.

It is a little too distracting of the eye. Keep that in mind when thinking about show turn out.

_\\]
                  -- * > hoopoe
                  Procrastinate NOW
                  Introverted Since 1957

Comment

It's hard to tell. I guess you could buy it to school in and bust it out at shows if you see others with less conservative pads. Sometimes it looks different on the actual horse. My 12yo is into her gear matching and convinced her dad to buy her a LeMieux polo shirt and matching saddle pad for her birthday. She was in love with this weird coral/sherbet orange. I thought it was odd and joked that the pony would buck her off if she made her wear it. The polo is olive trimmed with the same orange as the pad. She used the pad for the first time today and i was surprised. It actually looked really nice!

Comment

My show outfit.....
                      https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
                      https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

Manni - LOVE that jacket color! I thought about going "brown" but wasn't sure I wanted to buy a new jacket and helmet (thinking that a black helmet wouldn't look good) Your jacket looks like a medium brown---unique but still conservative. And looks good with the helmet.

OP - not sure about the baby blue fleece---but that same pad with natural colored fleece would be fine. You do see a lot more variety now at recognized shows. I've definitely seen burgundy coats - mmeqcenter.

I have always been a black and white gal, but I was at a schooling show in May where it was COLD and windy. I decided to pull out my navy softshell jacket (which isn't cool and breathable). When I saw some of the pics from the photographer - I really liked the navy! So for my recognized show a few weeks later, I wore my navy coat, my navy helmet, and a pad that was white with navy piping. I thought I was really going to stand out until I looked around the warm up ring. Soooo many blue coats! Navy is definitely the new black! And there were some nice grey jackets too. So, I think I am actually behind the times now that I'm "going rogue" with navy! Here is a pic from our schooling show (before I had the full navy ensemble----there was no photographer at the USDF show!)

Comment

Champagnecolored breeches and pad, brown jacket.
                          Grey pad or white pad/grey edge, white breeches, grey jacket.
                          White pad/navy edge, white breeches, navy jacket.

If the horse is colorful itself, I'd be more careful. In my opinion, good riding makes horses beautiful, 'bling bling' not always. Brown and light beige though are sometimes 'softer' than white and match with a lot of (dark)bay horses (ok, I love brown, cream, copper in all gradings).

Comment

If you want/need sheepskin on the horses back directly, you can combine the Eskadron underlay with your favourite saddle pad (does not slip. Spine free version selfmade with a shaving machine)

Comment

Originally posted by Manni01 View Post
                              My show outfit.....
                              I love that jacket!

Comment

Originally posted by MissAriel View Post

I recently saw someone show at a large rated show in a beautiful blue coat on a dark bay -nearly black horse. It might have been the Horseware Motionlite coat in aviator blue
                                MissAriel, i attended a rated show last year where a rider in that exact jacket was told by the TD she had to change to something darker. I think a lot depends on the TD.
                                "I once heard a client ask our vet if a horse's brain was as small as everyone says they are. Without pause, the vet smiled and answered: 'Maybe, but have you seen their hearts?'" --Alice Peirce

Comment

I almost bought the most beauuuuutiful sage green Asmar coat at Rolex (I ride a bay), but the shoulders weren't quite right. I used to ride my grey in a dark grey jacket with a black CO helmet that had a wide light grey suede stripe up the middle. I currently show in a navy jacket, navy helmet, and always with a white pad. I feel like keeping the saddle pad basic (white ecogolds all around!), I can get away with a bit more color on me. Personally, I've never been a bling fan, but do like adding some fun-servative colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Suspiria View Post

MissAriel, i attended a rated show last year where a rider in that exact jacket was told by the TD she had to change to something darker. I think a lot depends on the TD.
                                    I think if I had a jacket on the edge of being too light, or might be, I would send a picture to USEF and ask for a ruling, then bring a copy of their response allowing it. I wonder if they got enough emails they would do away with the ridiculous color HSV scale rule all together.

I find the pipings on all the seams, bling, patches, overly done contrast lapels, etc to be more distracting than a lighter but solid colored coat with no embellishments.

EVneo - "fun-servative" is a great new word. I hope if catches on. I think sage green, french blue, eggplant, burgundy, dark green, etc can be great "fun-servative" colors that, when chosen well, add to the beauty of the horse rather than distract from it.

RTF - yes, the Western riders do a lovely job, generally, of picking colors that coordinate well with their horses, although the WP and horsemanship ones REALLY go overboard with the bling. But even in the ranch riding classes where the outfits are utilitarian they usually choose colors that look great with their horses.
                                    "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

I like the traditional black and white look, no bling. In my area I haven't see very many non-black coats.
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3755.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	10410502
                                      http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

Traditional is the way to go. Keep the focus where it should be: on your horse.
                                        Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are.

Comment

Working...
                                        X