Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Custom Saddles & Fit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Saddles & Fit

Hi there! I've been in saddle fitting hell for a while and currently have a Custom Icon Flight on trial. It has been fitted by the Custom rep to my mare. I LOVE this saddle. I feel like I can finally get my leg on my horse and actually ride her! It seems to sit quite high over her wither though. Is this common with this model of saddle?

Thanks for the responses - edited the title as I have more questions lol
    Last edited by BadTB; Jun. 17, 2019, 03:08 PM.

Yes. That saddle fits that way, great for horses with high withers. I do feel like it's high off the horse's back as well. But a very comfy saddle.

Edited to add:I'm not a professional saddle fitter, just tried 50+ saddles in the past 10 months and many custom saddles. I rode in an Icon Flight for 2 months that didn't fit me very well but was comfy for my horse.

Comment

I tried a few different custom dressage models the other month and they all seemed to be high in the pommel and thus hit me in the crotch posting. I believe that the Flight was the least offensive this way, and otherwise Ioved how it felt. I might actually buy one. But you’re not wrong.

Comment

Before my horse's withers popped up, it seemed to sit high. Now that his withers have finally decided to catch up with the rest of him, it seems to have a more "normal" clearance. If anything, I sometimes worry it's a little too low, but that's probably because I'm so used to seeing it sit higher up.
        In a society that profits from your self-doubt, liking yourself is a rebellious act.

Comment

I didn't find any of the suggested opinions to be true with Custom saddles.
          I tried most of their models.
          None of them sat up high off of my horse's backs.
          My horses also not not have huge withers.

The Flight has the curviest tree. It works for very wide slopy backs. The Steffen Advantage is the only other Custom saddle with that same tree.

I like wide but very short coupled horses. This is the only saddle that worked for both of my horses.

And the Icon blocks are the blocks that worked for me as well. The kidney shaped blocks turn into my quad.

I have several friends who ride in the Icon Star. They love it.
          http://kaboomeventing.com/
          http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
          Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

There is a curvier tree and there is another model with the same tree in it but they ride very different. One thing to love/hate about Custom is things are always changing.
            Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
            www.thesaddlefits.com
            Society of Master Saddlers Qualified Fitter

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! The Icon Flight is going back. As much as I love the feel of it, it rubs my crotch (to the point of being quite painful) when sitting the trot. Sort of interesting that it didn't do that the first couple of rides, mare also started to go worse in it when it started rubbing me. Anyway... onward! lol.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which model might a good fit for us? Saddle shopping is pretty limited where I am, but we do have a very good Custom rep so will be exploring other models. Mare is quite wide, with a bit of a check mark shaped flat back and large shoulder. I tried the Matrix and it was ok, but it rolled on her a bit and I found it hard to get my leg on.

Comment

I had the same crotch/rub experience with a couple of the models that I tried. I think I sat in 9 saddles. I decided on a Custom Advantage R. I did find that playing around with stirrup length and different seat sizes made a difference in how the saddle felt. The other model that I quite liked was the Omni but I wanted something a little deeper to support my lower back (had back surgery in 2014). The Advantage R ticked all my boxes and fits my wide, flat backed, huge shouldered, Cleveland Bay cross perfectly.

Comment

The Icon Flight rubs me raw quickly. I have had great results in the Custom Wolfgang Omni. I have long legs and ride with the short block model.

Comment

Working...
                  X