Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

BHCH10
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Choosing your judge!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing your judge!

I am conflicted:

I understand people having Favorite judges, and people they would not want to ride for. I get choosing your shows, and not going to a show if you feel that it would be a waste of your entry fee, because you feel you would not get the marks you ‘deserve’ no matter how wrong that thought is.

I am a little shocked to hear from an acquaintance that she is entering a show where there are two judges, and she has requested not to ride for Judge A, and was told that they will arrange that!

I would have thought that either you don't attend, or you put your entries in and just scratch from any classes with the ‘wrong’ judge.

"He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

I've requested specific judges before, and had it accommodated, but not for that reason!

One particular judge is very popular around here. I already had qualifying scores from her. Showing in front of her again wouldn't accomplish anything. The secretary was happy to make sure I ended up in front of someone else for my qualifying rides.

Comment

Same as the above: I've requested judges from a qualifying score perspective and have generously been accommodated but they absolutely aren't required to do so.

Going to a show where you prefer one judge over another and ask only to ride for that judge leaves a sour note with me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Edre View Post
        Same as the above: I've requested judges from a qualifying score perspective and have generously been accommodated but they absolutely aren't required to do so.

Going to a show where you prefer one judge over another and ask only to ride for that judge leaves a sour note with me.
        I get choosing a judge that way round, if you need scores from different judges, but now I’m even more conflicted...if it is OK to choose for that reason, then the action is OK, but not the reasoning behind it in this case. That makes it even more of a conundrum.
        "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

I think motivation comes into play. Wanting to ride for a certain judge because you don't want to RIDE for another judge feels off to me. In a score qualifier situation, the rider has already received scores from the one judge and needs scores from different judges to meet the requirements.

it feels very clear to me - one is "I don't like this judge and don't want to ride for them" (don't enter the show, scratch the class with them, contact shoe management if there's a legitimate and demonstrable grievance or complaint about the judge). The other is "I am willing to ride for all officials in this show but am looking to get qualifying scores so need more judge diversity."

Comment

Requesting one judge of two because you have scores under one but can use scores under the other seems totally legit.

Requesting one judge of two because you don't like one... eh. If I put on my hat as a prospective exhibitor, I think it probably doesn't hurt to ask. If there was only going to be one judge at the show, and you knew you didn't want to show under that judge, you just wouldn't enter, but rated shows cost enough that you may not want to take the chance in a 50/50 situation.

If I put on a show secretary or manager hat, I probably would not care to accommodate the request if I knew that judge preference was the reason for it. However, I would probably be used to receiving requests for reasons of qualifying/medals scores so I would probably just assume that was the reason behind this request as well.

Comment

People who ask for a specific judge should take a turn at scheduling rides for a show, any show. It ain't easy.

The one time I asked to ride under a different judge was to get qualifying scores under another judge. It turned out that there were a couple of us in the same boat for the same class so we went to show management together and very nicely asked if something could be worked out. Show management talked to the desired judge who agreed to come to the show early so that we could ride for him before his ring was scheduled to start.

Super nice on both the parts of the show management and the judge. Certainly, I would have understood if they didn't accommodate the request. I was able to return the favor years later when I was an L candidate and doing "sitting hours." The same lady who helped me was the last ride of the day and asked if I would scribe her PSG ride instead of the scribe who had been struggling all day. I was happy to help.

Comment

Another reason to request not to show under a particular judge, that is mentioned in the rules, is if you have taken lessons or a clinic with that judge recently or have other familial or financial ties.
                "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

I don't think it hurts to ask, regardless of motive. Worst case for the exhibitor is the request is denied, at which point they can opt to enter or not. I also don't mind being able to boycott certain judges. Some of them aren't great and I'd hate to spend my show budget in front of them. Of course, some exhibitors can't handle painful truth, so it swings both ways...

Comment

Every rider can ask, show organizers can decide.

I’ve never had to ask to ride (or not) in front of a specific judge.

I also never had problems with the quality of the judging on National shows (Gold).

But at the lower levels (Regional/Bronze), I know which show I might not attend if I was looking for an accurate score because there are lower level judges I know who are inconsistent/inapprehensible in their scoring. (I know them personally and ain’t font of their riding style.)

So I understand why riders might want to avoid certain judges. They should talk with the show organizer and let them know their reasons for not wanting to show under whatever judge.

On the other hand, I know some riders who are a little cray-cray...
                    One lady thought there was a plot against her because 2 judges, on 2 different day, rang her horse out for lameness...

Originally posted by atlatl View Post
                    (...) and asked if I would scribe her PSG ride instead of the scribe who had been struggling all day. I was happy to help.
                    As I always say, scribing should be a paid position and scribe should have some sort of training prior to working.
                    It wouldn’t have to be a lot of money, or a huge training, but damn it, people pay to get their scores and comments and I know for a fact, especially at the lower levels, that there is a lot of mistakes going on.

I saw a lot of crappy scribing and there are rules at CDI’s regarding the experience of the scribes...
                    Sadly, it’s never enforced.

~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                    I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                    HORSING mobile training app

Comment

I just came back from a show that had a judge at C and one at B. I've never had that happen before, unless it was championships. The judge at C gave us scores that would have counted toward my bronze. The judge at B scored everyone 5-10 percentage points lower. I was told the average score would be counted towards the medals. So instead of a 61.2 and 62.0 at 3rd level (my first time out at 3rd), I ended up with 2 58 somethings. It wrankled a bit. But I'd never think of asking show management to rearrange the judging situation for me. As others have stated, the only legitimate reason for a request like that would be if there was a conflict of interest or you're working toward a medal and already have scores from that judge. I'm just going to keep on keeping on, continue taking lessons, continue learning, hopefully improving, and earn my scores because I deserve them, not because I shopped for judges.

Comment

I had to have an argument/discussion with show runners because they had named one judge and the other was TBD. When I arrived at the show, it turned out the TBD judge was my boarding barn owner. I asked to have the ride either rescheduled to the other judge or my fee for that one class refunded, because I could not ride before her. They insisted I could. I finally had to have the Judge/BO tell that that no, she could not judge me. They finally agreed to carry the fee over to their next show or whatever next show of theirs I entered.

Comment

Originally posted by MojitoMare View Post
                          I just came back from a show that had a judge at C and one at B. I've never had that happen before, unless it was championships. The judge at C gave us scores that would have counted toward my bronze. The judge at B scored everyone 5-10 percentage points lower. I was told the average score would be counted towards the medals. So instead of a 61.2 and 62.0 at 3rd level (my first time out at 3rd), I ended up with 2 58 somethings. It wrankled a bit. But I'd never think of asking show management to rearrange the judging situation for me. As others have stated, the only legitimate reason for a request like that would be if there was a conflict of interest or you're working toward a medal and already have scores from that judge. I'm just going to keep on keeping on, continue taking lessons, continue learning, hopefully improving, and earn my scores because I deserve them, not because I shopped for judges.
                          I had something like that happen (with 3 judges). It was year end and everyone was trying to get that last qualifying score for championships. My score from two of the judges was 66-70% The third judge gave me a 55%(!). The scores stood, but after the fact, I was told the other two judges (both of whom were S judges) had "spoken to" the third judge (an R judge). I never rode before that third judge again. And it wasn't by choice. Seems she wasn't used much in our area after that...….Don't know if that's why, but....

Comment

Originally posted by Belowthesalt View Post

I had something like that happen (with 3 judges). It was year end and everyone was trying to get that last qualifying score for championships. My score from two of the judges was 66-70% The third judge gave me a 55%(!). The scores stood, but after the fact, I was told the other two judges (both of whom were S judges) had "spoken to" the third judge (an R judge). I never rode before that third judge again. And it wasn't by choice. Seems she wasn't used much in our area after that...….Don't know if that's why, but....
                            And that is why I no longer show. I was once at a show with a three judge system. One judge gave me first place, one judge gave me third place, and one didn't know I was in the class. They all saw the same go. It occurred to me that I had been giving way too much attention to other people's opinion, paid or otherwise. I still very much enjoy riding, but no longer seek opinions, except for those of clinicians I respect.

Comment

Working...
                            X