Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Inexpensive riding boots that run short!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive riding boots that run short!

While I continue to rehab my horse (Yay! Trotting ten minutes!) I am starting to look forward to more serious riding. So I am looking for soft, inexpensive boots that run short for my stubby legs. It is mostly for riding at home and perhaps some schooling shows in the future.

I am currently using old paddock boots and half chaps. The half chaps are actually a child's large as the adults were too tall. My old pair of Mountain Horse boots arent going to last much longer either.

All the non-custom boots I see are way too tall, even accounting for some breakdown and using heel lifts. From the floor to the back of my knee it is about 15 ". But the foot size is about a US womans 8 and a bit wide (calves seem average to slightly full depending upon brand)

With boots having zippers now, it would seem like shortening is a bit more complicated and would require a new zipper. Or am I mistaken? Suggestions?

Are you my twin separated at birth? Lol. If you figure it out, let me know! I'm also a 15" from the floor to the back of the knee. Left calf is 13" around, right calf is about 13.25". I gave up and splashed out on TriColore from DiNiro. But at $399ish, they don't qualify as "cheap" in my book.

Comment

If you are in an area with second hand tack shops (as I am) then spen time sorting through ‘old’ boots. I was lucky to find wide calf with no zipper for $25 last year. No one these days wants them without zippers but they worked great for every day use. My sister said that ‘for $25 you could muck stalls in them and be ahead of the game’. And yes, I also have shorter chubby legs. This year I found a pair of Saxon fake non-leather black field boots as the pair from last year finally fell apart. I do have a pair of nice show boots that cut into the back of my knee. I have tried to tell myself they are getting better, uh no. I also have used half chaps when I could not find used cheap boots.

Comment

Originally posted by MsM View Post
        All the non-custom boots I see are way too tall, even accounting for some breakdown and using heel lifts. From the floor to the back of my knee it is about 15 ". But the foot size is about a US womans 8 and a bit wide (calves seem average to slightly full depending upon brand)
        Have you tried child size long boots? Your feet might be slightly too large but it's worth trying some on to see if they work.

Comment

I may be 100% out to lunch on this idea, but I’ve seen our local cobbler to some amazing things to leather. Could you buy a cheap pair of boots that fit you everywhere except length, and see if they can cut off the top and re-stitch them?

I’ve seen it done with cutting out the back panel and installing elastic to accommodate calf width.

Key word is is cheap boots - ideally cheap enough if it doesn’t work out then you aren’t out too much money.

Comment

• Original Poster

I have thought of children's boots since the children's half chaps work. But my foot is well past girls' sizes and I imagine the selection of boys' boots is limited and may also run tall!

I have thought of having boots cut down, but it would also mean a new zipper so that may get expensive for "cheap" boots.

Comment

ovation makes reasonably priced boots in short height

Comment

Ariat makes boots (many models) in a short height with slim or medium calf. The medium calf is actually a bit generous.

Comment

Decathlon sells leather boots with wide elastic band and I think, there was a quite short version as far as I remember.

Comment

• Original Poster

So far Ariat "short" is still over 2" too tall. Ovation only seems to offer short in wide calf(which I don't need) and I cant find the height.

Comment

Aw man. I was wondering why you don't just replace what you have with another pair of Mountain Horse, and a quick google revealed that the Mountain Horse Firenze boots that I've had several pairs of seem to be unavailable everywhere.

My dimensions are quite similar to yours and Mountain Horse has been my go-to. I tried Ovations once, but the zippers were awful. I'm going to have to make my current pair of Mountain Horses last as long as possible!

PS if you have boots cut down they may not have to replace the whole zipper. Since the part of the boot that would get cut down is the open end of the zipper, it's almost certainly possible to cut down the zipper as well and put a new stopper at the point that becomes the new end of the zipper. Might be worth talking to a good cobbler about cost before ruling it out.

Comment

I also want to know if you've actually tried on Ariats. I have almost your measurements exactly, and their shorts fit me. I actually replaced my mountain horse short tall boots with the ariats.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioRiderEsq View Post
                          I also want to know if you've actually tried on Ariats. I have almost your measurements exactly, and their shorts fit me. I actually replaced my mountain horse short tall boots with the ariats.
                          I have almost identical measurements as well and keep trying Ariats every few years. They never fit. I think shape of one's leg matters as much as basic measurements for these sorts of things.

Comment

Another one who can't make 'short' Ariats work, which is too bad because I love their paddock boots.

NOT cheap but the Sergio Grasso boots have lots of different calf and height options. The leather is wonderfully soft and they're by far my nicest set of tall boots, and I even like them better than my fully-custom. They are expensive though...
                            A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Had a lot of other stuff going on recently, but will have to try on some of the suggestions the next time I am at a shop that carries those brands.

Comment

I bought a pair of TuffRider in a short height, I am closer to 17" but they are a bit too short for me. Best part - they are $200. I bought mine at Horseloverz

Comment

Working...
                                X