Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

104 Sparks Lane BR
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

HELP! My new 12yo horse is actually 21?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! My new 12yo horse is actually 21?

So... long story short I bought a horse as believed to be 12yo, done a little of everything, straightforward horse.

I have since found out that this horse is actually 21yo and that the person who sold him to me knew that. The horse has also basically just been a pet for his life. So, not the schoolmaster type I thought I was getting.

He's very very sweet and hasn't been ridden for about a year, so needs bringing back into work - which I knew and was anticipating. However, I have just paid 2k for a horse that I thought I would have at least 15 years with. I'm a bit annoyed and upset really. I have just lost my 25yo horse and didn't want another veteran horse because I don't want to go through that heartbreak again so soon.

What do I do? Friends are saying I should send him back and demand a refund for mis-selling him. I really like the horse and if he were younger he would be perfect. I am just concerned that his age is what is causing the stiffness and if he was maybe retired from ridden work due to age, rather than just not having a rider as was suggested. I have also been told that he is awful in traffic. I have ridden him in heavy traffic and he was okay-ish. I'm more annoyed that this information wasn't disclosed, much like his age.

I bought him to bring back into work, fitten up and then have a career in dressage with. I'm now 'stuck' with a horse coming to the end of his ridden life really. I just feel sick and as though I've been taken for a mug. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't want the seller to just get away with lying about something quite major but I also don't want to send him back.

I don't thing there's anything you can do if you're not willing to send him back. You might not even get your money back if you were willing to send him back. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and always do at least a quick prepurchase on future horses. Any vet would have taken one look at his teeth and told you he was older than you were told. I treat any horse purchase like buying a used car. You can't trust anyone.

Comment

You can ask them to reverse the sale - give them the horse back and get your money back. If they refuse, you can try small claims court.

Comment

Have you talked to the seller to see if you can come to a resolution? That seems like the first step.

Comment

Make sure you have written records that the seller lied to you, AND the horse's correct date of birth. Then - have a lawyer write to seller requesting a refund. Preferably a lawyer who is familiar with equine business.

BUT - shame on you for not doing research BEFORE buying a horse.
          ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by jherold View Post
            I don't thing there's anything you can do if you're not willing to send him back. You might not even get your money back if you were willing to send him back. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and always do at least a quick prepurchase on future horses. Any vet would have taken one look at his teeth and told you he was older than you were told. I treat any horse purchase like buying a used car. You can't trust anyone.
            A vet did a check on him and estimated 11/12. He windsucks so his teeth aren't long and he has clean legs as he was basically just a pet all his life, so has never been worked hard. He's not greying out or anything. He looks and rides like a 12yo.

Comment

Did you do a vet PPE? Did you ride the horse before you bought him? Did you have an experienced friend or your trainer come to view him?

Also, how do you know he is 20 and not 12? Have you had a vet look at his teeth? How do you know he is unbroke? Have you had a trainer ride and evaluate him? Or is this just gossip you heard?

As we all know, "horse trading" was a synonym for dishonesty in the 19th century just like "Second hand car dealer" was in the 20th century. It's still true. You need expert guidance and verify everything.

Comment

Originally posted by RantyvilleHorror View Post
                So... long story short I bought a horse as believed to be 12yo, done a little of everything, straightforward horse.

I have since found out that this horse is actually 21yo and that the person who sold him to me knew that. The horse has also basically just been a pet for his life. So, not the schoolmaster type I thought I was getting.

He's very very sweet and hasn't been ridden for about a year, so needs bringing back into work - which I knew and was anticipating. However, I have just paid 2k for a horse that I thought I would have at least 15 years with. I'm a bit annoyed and upset really. I have just lost my 25yo horse and didn't want another veteran horse because I don't want to go through that heartbreak again so soon.

What do I do? Friends are saying I should send him back and demand a refund for mis-selling him. I really like the horse and if he were younger he would be perfect. I am just concerned that his age is what is causing the stiffness and if he was maybe retired from ridden work due to age, rather than just not having a rider as was suggested. I have also been told that he is awful in traffic. I have ridden him in heavy traffic and he was okay-ish. I'm more annoyed that this information wasn't disclosed, much like his age.

I bought him to bring back into work, fitten up and then have a career in dressage with. I'm now 'stuck' with a horse coming to the end of his ridden life really. I just feel sick and as though I've been taken for a mug. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't want the seller to just get away with lying about something quite major but I also don't want to send him back.
                How long ago did you purchase the horse? How did you find out that he's 21? Do you have proof of his age such as registration papers?

See what the seller says. Your options may end up to be small claims court, or perhaps selling this guy on with full disclosure if you don't want to send him back.

How do you want this to turn out ideally? Do you want to keep him? Find him a new home? Lease him out?
                Proofreading is your friend.

Comment

A vet did a check on him and estimated 11/12. He windsucks so his teeth aren't long and he has clean legs as he was basically just a pet all his life, so has never been worked hard. He's not greying out or anything. He looks and rides like a 12yo.
                  What color is he? Typically only grey horses turn grey with age. I've never seen a 20 year old bay or chestnut going grey from old age.

What was the horse represented as in the sales ad? Did you ride the horse?

Length of tooth isn't the only indicator of age. The shape and slant of the tooth also changes. A vet would know this.

Do you actually know the horse is 21? Who told you? Do you trust them? Or are they just making trouble?

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

What color is he? Typically only grey horses turn grey with age. I've never seen a 20 year old bay or chestnut going grey from old age.

Older horses frequently have greying around their eyes and such. My old man (26) did.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

Older horses frequently have greying around their eyes and such. My old man (26) did.
                      26 is a lot older than 21. It's one of those five year spans that make a lot of difference to many horses. Like the decade from 60 to 70 in humans.

Comment

My 26 year old has been greying for several years.

I also have a 19 year old that is already showing greying on his face.

Comment

Originally posted by yaya View Post
                          My 26 year old has been greying for several years.

I also have a 19 year old that is already showing greying on his face.
                          Ok I guess I over generalized here.

But my larger point really was that they don't *all* get grey hairs, and absence of grey hairs does not mean a horse is young. I wouldn't base my age estimate of a horse on whether or not he had grey hairs on his face.

Indeed absent papers or a look at the teeth, it can be hard to guess that a happy fit plump horse is a senior citizen.

Comment

I don't like jumping on OPs based on limited info, but the info OP has provided is conflicting and making me question the issue altogether. For example, OP says horse was supposed to be a school master but also that he has been a pet his whole life and not done much work--both of which she must have known at the time of the PPE based on these posts. Which is it? If you were buying him because he was supposed to be a schoolmaster, wouldn't "pet his whole life; no real work" status have been a red flag?

Assuming you have hard proof that you were lied to and that the horse was misrepresented, unfortunately your only option is really to send him back and demand a refund. $2K is barely enough to go to small claims court over. It seems like this horse is NOT what you were looking for, so even if he is sweet, it seems like trying to send him back is what is best for you. In addition, your friends are right...this seller could be hiding a number of other issues that you certainly don't need on a tight budget with a horse that may not have many years of work left in him.

Comment

So you have a kind horse. Horse apparently has training you desire.

Your repurchase vet passed horse as advertised age. Possibly speak with vet?

For $2k what did you expect?

Comment

From a previous thread the OP had the horse on trial.

Who said he was 12 and who said he is 21?

Sales video supposedly showed the horse horse doing w/t/c and small jumps so what do you mean by a pet that was barely ridden? I should think that would have been obvious at the start of the trial?

Comment

Originally posted by evilc123 View Post
                                  I don't like jumping on OPs based on limited info, but the info OP has provided is conflicting and making me question the issue altogether. For example, OP says horse was supposed to be a school master but also that he has been a pet his whole life and not done much work--both of which she must have known at the time of the PPE based on these posts. Which is it? If you were buying him because he was supposed to be a schoolmaster, wouldn't "pet his whole life; no real work" status have been a red flag?
                                  The way I read it, the OP was told the horse is a 12yo school master that has not done anything for the last year.

After the sale the OP learned that the horse is 21 and has never done anything, has only been a minimal work pet its whole life.

Comment

Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                                    From a previous thread the OP had the horse on trial.

Who said he was 12 and who said he is 21?

Sales video supposedly showed the horse horse doing w/t/c and small jumps so what do you mean by a pet that was barely ridden? I should think that would have been obvious at the start of the trial?
                                    Yes, I too am curious about where this information is coming from.

Also was the seller a low end horse dealer? A rescue? A long time owner? Was horse local to you or at a distance? What are the credentials of the person giving you the news and why only now? What does your vet say?

In the gossipy horse world it's easy to get horses confused especially when folks are at a distance. One brown horse in a field looks much like another, and your informant's news may be inaccurate or they may for some reason be engaging in malicious lying to undercut seller.

And also yes, I would assume a trial period would give you time to assess the horse's skills.

I have to say, I never take stories told on here without a grain of salt. There have been times I've seen posters I know IRL post rather deluded accounts of their doings (I just smile and stay silent), or when posters have been very convincing, and then the accused seller or trainer or clinician comes on and blows the story out of the water.

So I also wonder if OP is having buyer's remorse for other reasons, and is clutching at gossip to get out of the sale?

Comment

In my area, sound, kind 12 year old schoolmaster types sell for a heck of a lot more than $2000.

You say you don't want to send the horse back, but also that you don't want a horse at the end of his useful life. At 21, he may well go on for years. But the truth of the matter is, at that age, every day is a gift. It is a very different scenario than you'd get with a 12 year old.

It sounds to me like you want at least a partial refund on the price. Given the relatively low starting point on the price, I don't think the chances of that are high, but I suppose you could try.
                                      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                                      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I'm not a dressage rider, but isn't there a division called something like "century" wherein the age of the horse and rider combined must be equal to at least 100? That would imply, to me, anyway, that senior horses can and do still perform in the sport--meaning, unless the OP has lofty goals, might this horse be able to have a successful second (?) career, even in his 20s?

I don't think raw age is necessarily a reason to assume a horse is not capable of performing. I know people who successfully hunt horses in their mid-to-late 20s and I myself once had a former hunt horse that had a second career as a low-level eventer at 21 and counting. There is a lesson pony at my farm who is still packing kids around successfully and happily at 27. It varies from individual to individual.

Comment

Working...
                                        X