Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_0200
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Please help me find a girth for my delicate flower...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed you are in Ottawa...this one could work for you and it's a great price.
    https://www.applesaddlery.com/Premie...961200/Product

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Farys View Post
      I noticed you are in Ottawa...this one could work for you and it's a great price.
      https://www.applesaddlery.com/Premie...961200/Product
      Thanks, Farys! I saw this in the store in fact - in my experience, the BR brand isn't amazing quality - have you tried this one?

Comment

Chasseur, I think that girth may be one of the Premiere line from BR, so not their top line. They do offer similar girths in the higher quality BR line that is fabric body with detachable sheepskin (real), and are available in a few shapes. I have used one of the sheepskin girths for a very thin skinned TB mare with excellent results, and the girth itself looks like new after 18 months of constant use. Not terribly pricey either. I have also had good results with the Tapestry Comfort girth.

Comment

Geez... I feel like I've owned every girth at this point. The Ovation Gel Body Form has been a good one, as has the Mikmar Dressage Comfort Girth (formerly named Le Tixerant). One picked the Smartpak Breathable Dressage Girth in a fleece cover, so long as the cover was washed daily (i.e. we actually had 4 covers).

I've had a few girths that I really liked, like the Total Saddle Fit Synthetic and the Thinline, that the horses weren't too keen on, and a bunch we both disliked.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasseurSauteur View Post

Thanks, Farys! I saw this in the store in fact - in my experience, the BR brand isn't amazing quality - have you tried this one?
            I haven't tried this girth. My horses go in leather girths - one TSF and one Solo Equine. While the Premiere/BR brand may not be the highest quality, this girth isn't "quality price" either.

The Christ products are excellent quality but come with the price tag for a similar design.

https://www.applesaddlery.com/HorseD...101296/Product

Comment

Originally posted by EVneo View Post
              Lettia coolmax! I have a delicate grey horse, and now an uber delicate ottb - it's never rubbed either, isn't pricey and I think is going on year 6, still looking new while holding up to 5 rides/week and washing, erm, occasionally. I would highly recommend staying away from those total fit anatomical girths. Sizing is wonky and caused rubs on both; plus their customer service is terrible.
              Love the Lettia coolmax girths for both Jumping and Dressage. They are reasonably priced, wash in the washing machine and you don't feel bad if they die. I even show in them.

I did give in and buy a LeMieux sheepskin girth recently and I really like it.

https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/LeMi...page-LIMG.html

If you like the distance you see; continue forward. If you don't; stay still and the shorter distance works out. ~GM~

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Pro Choice real sheepskin dressage girth is my fave..
                  "I once heard a client ask our vet if a horse's brain was as small as everyone says they are. Without pause, the vet smiled and answered: 'Maybe, but have you seen their hearts?'" --Alice Peirce

Comment

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/s...yABEgIDD_D_BwE

Just bought this for my guy, and he loves it. Equal pressure on each side (elastic) and super fluffy.

Comment

I would say to get a Lemieux sheepskin girth as opposed to the Ventech. The Lemieux run around $60 if you get them from Horse Health. I also like the Prestige anatomic girths - they are very well padded.

Comment

My TB actually likes the Professional's Choice straight neoprene padded girth with elastic on both ends. The neoprene is very soft to the touch (like sueded silk) and very squishy - almost gel-like. He preferred it over all others including a super sheepkin shaped girth by Mattes. I like it because it hoses off easily. I was surprised but he's not shy about his opinions.

Comment

I have a shaped (asymmetrical) girth from Mattes and wanted to switch the the aforementioned Pro Choice girth for the summer due to my Mattes being soaked at the end of each ride, but the Pro Choice still rubbed my horse. Of course. It receives many good reviews, but this horse and any neoprene seem to be a no go. Such disappointment!

That being said, I got my Mattes used for almost half the new price. It came in new condition with tags and small bottle of washing fluid for the girth. So I'd also keep an eye out on eBay or Facebook because others have probably been in the same situation where they try a girth just a few times then need to resell because it doesn't fit, or otherwise doesn't suit their needs.

If you do get sheepskin, brush it properly after or before each ride, it stays quite nice and I don't have to wash mine too much, usually.

Comment

I too have a delicate flower (an OTTB). I have a Professionals Choice dressage girth, but it's kind of old and I think, a bit harsh. After looking and looking at all kinds of dressage girths, I could not find ANY that did not have all kinds of seams on the skin side. YUK, I wouldn't want that on me! So I'm just going to keep the girth I have and get a couple girth covers from SmartPak https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/sm...th-cover-18034. Good luck with your "flower".

Comment

Originally posted by MissAriel View Post
                              This is quite similar to your long girth: https://www.doversaddlery.com/ovatio...th/p/X1-02192/

Lettia coolmax is nice too :https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/le...age-girth-4969

Personally I love the Ovation Gel BodyForm. It doesn't have fleece, but has worked on a variety of sensitive flowers: https://www.doversaddlery.com/ovatio...th/p/X1-02194/

Lots of riders use fleece. Use what works for your horse.
                              My delicate flower insists on ONLY the Ovation Gel BodyForm.

Comment

That's a really nice one, but it still has seams on the skin side. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Comment

Toklat Woolback - https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Tokl...page-TWDG.html is worth a look. My TB likes it so much better than the TSF.

Comment

• Original Poster

Update - the Lettia CoolMax has been working well - no rubs and doesn't seem to affect his movement at all. He's still a bit nippier than usual when tightening it so I wouldn't say he's 100% on board the dressage girth train yet, but such is life Will stick with this for now. Thanks for the recommendations!

Comment

Working...
                                    X