• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Has anyone ridden with Britta Johnston?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ridden with Britta Johnston?

As the title says has anyone ridden with Britta?

My daughter has lessoned with her.

Comment

• Original Poster

And....?

I have the opportunity to ride with her hopefully on a somewhat regular basis and was just looking for some opinions.

Comment

I have not lessoned with her, but I have watched her ride and teach, and I think she is really excellent. I would ride with her myself except she's too far from me. Go give her a try, I think you'll be impressed.

Comment

Go for it!

Comment

Britta

I rode with Britta when she was in Louisiana and she is awesome!! She is a beautiful rider and a great teacher.

Comment

Another COTHer (can't remember her screen name) rides with Britta now on the weekend. I have only heard good things about her and her teaching.
              Grab mane and kick on!

http://www.ashleykriegeleventing.com/

Comment

Britta started my three year old this past year, and I rode with her several times in the three months while he was there. I can't possibly say enough good things about what she did with Beckham...its the BEST money I've ever spent on training, and I really did like her no nonsense, common sense approach to riding and training. If you have the opportunity to ride with her - I'd say you should take it!
                Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

No, but someone I trust recommends her highly.
                  "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

Britta is an excellent clinician. she evaluates your horse and listens to your needs, will find a solution you can actually practice. she is strict and correct and expects the student to be disciplined, fit and attentive. the lessons are tough but uplifting and always end on a positive experience for your horse 'who will be proud of himself '. she visits long island a few times a year to teach and it is well worth it to audit even if you cannot ride.
                    track trash
                    resources for recycled racehorses

Comment

While it's been a while since we worked with Britta, I have nothing but very positive things to say. I think some of the other posters said it very well. She is a very elegant rider and a correct teacher. The only reason we could not continue was simply due to the very long distance -- just difficult to keep it consistent. I'd highly recommend Britta.
                      \"HAPPY HOUR\" & Hawk\'s Run Trakehners
                      http://www.happyhour1.com

\"The only price of admission is curiosity.\"
                      Proud Member of Team Barbaro!

Comment

Lovely instructor

If this is the same Britta Johnson, I rode with her in Mississippi thirteen or fourteen years ago. I believe she lived in Florida at that time. She was a young and very talented rider and instructor. Have fun an enjoy your lessons.

Comment

Oh crumb...sorry to hear she only will work with someone who is riding fit.

I met Britta briefly and quite by accident when I took one of my employees to a cross country session at a barn where (she, Britta) was riding. She seems to have good credentials and words of praise here.

I have been out of serious riding for some years now due to injuries and now, time contraints for elder care -- so I'm anything but riding fit for lack of time. Lord knows, I'm physically fit from running a farm for 20+ years ...but that's not the same as core fitness or riding fitness that I used to have. Now that I'm ready to get back "to it" I thought about calling Britta as I really want someone classically trained who will help me through my "compensation" and muscle memory issues that have amassed over the years from handling and training babies, youngsters and stallions. As you get older every physical trauma rears its ugly head and surely it affects one's riding unless you have someone seasoned on the ground to help.

My horse(s) are well trained, but have been on vacation for awhile. I don't want to screw them up as I bring them back into work with all of my own body issues to deal with. So they continue to sit idle.

When I hear that someone is only willing to work with those who are riding fit, it's discouraging for someone like me -- esp. when one is finally having time to get back in the saddle in their "later years" but doesn't want to forego continuing the right training for the horse -- from a classically trained and seasoned professional.

I tried someone else last year (a very, very nice u/l eventer) -- it was totally unproductive for me and the horse (3rd level). I was instructed as a beginner (that's okay) but the training for the horse ran counter to every thing I had learned from my earlier instructor (of the Carol Lavelle, Mike Poulin and Pam Goodrich style)...she's retired.

Anyone else in the NoVA area that might fit the bill for me?
                          www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                          "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                          Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

sid,

I would not discount Britta based on what you may have heard about needing to be "riding fit". I rode with her last week in a clinic and can tell you quite honestly that I am not as riding fit as I could be. Like yourself, I was much more fit 10 years ago when a working student in Germany and as time has marched on and other committments took precedence, my fitness certainly waned. Britta was very encouraging in my lessons, but that is not to say that she demanded anything less than the very best I was capable of doing. The same could be said for my horse, who is also just coming back into what I would describe as serious work. She is demanding in that she insists on one riding well and also stated that core strength is very important, but not at all in a mean or condescending way. I would strongly encourage you to give her a try!

Comment

I'm about as serious as one can get -- yet, with an air of forgiveness for things beyond my control for both me and my horses (grin).

Nevertheless, there are trainers who have the younger,fitter and competition-minded in their sites. Don't want to go there.

Just wanted to be sure I won't be treated as a "has been" or neophyte...or worse flogged for being out of shape because life threw me some curves in recent years.

The passion and seriousness is there and always will be...just finding someone who understands I am a seasoned horsewoman as well and respects that despite my age and physical limitation, who will afford me the patience and a really good eye that will help me relearn my body in the saddle has been the challenge and kept me idle when I really could be riding.

Comment

SID, I highly recommend Pascal Martin. I pm'ed you his contact info.
                                Roseknoll Sporthorses
                                www.roseknoll.net

Comment

YL beat me to it!

Sid -- I read your post and also thought -- "Pascal." He is extremely knowledgeable, kind, patient and a true gentleman and horseman.
                                  Cold Spring Farm
                                  German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Comment

I remember Pascal from years ago when I would watch him hold would do clinics at Tailwind Farm (Deana Vaughn) ...and eventing barn.

We used to giggle when he would tell you to "TWAT"...!! Hard to keep your twat in the seat when you're laughing so hard.... he was a good sport about all the laughs though, whenever he said that word.

I've never been a huge fan of the French school of dressage, but for my present day purposes and my situation, quite frankly who cares if he can get me put back together and has the patience to do so (wink!).

I hadn't thought of him, nor heard much about what he was doing after an almost fatal accident. Glad to hear he's still out there.

Comment

[QUOTE=sid;2925582]
                                      We used to giggle when he would tell you to "TWAT"...!! Hard to keep your twat in the seat when you're laughing so hard.... he was a good sport about all the laughs though, whenever he said that word.

QUOTE]

HAHA!! Yup -- still an issue!!
                                      Cold Spring Farm
                                      German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Comment

[QUOTE=Cold Spring Farm;2925600]
                                        Originally posted by sid View Post

QUOTE]

HAHA!! Yup -- still an issue!!
                                        HAHA..omg...I just laughed out loud in my cubicle...thanks alot!!!

Sid, I also PMed you info for Fie Ottosen. She sounds like she'd suit your needs very well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X