Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

DJI_0011-HDR
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

I've done a bad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've done a bad

    Hello everyone, finally got my act together and made an account. Basically I rode my mare mostly to the right and now she's not evening out.

    History: 11 y/o WB mare (chestnut of course). Suspensory/collateral LF injury about a 18 months ago, stall rest and rehabbed as directed for a full recovery on ultrasound. Back in normal work but being careful of footing/fitness.

    Issue: Due to the collateral tear, she was ridden on mostly straight lines and to the right. About 2/3-3/4 of turns/circles were to the right, work to the left was avoided while in rehab as that would stress it. Now that she's back in normal work, I'm having quite a bit of trouble restoring the left side. She's balanced and loose to the right, but falls out and ignores my leg to the left - just a totally different horse. Very downhill, rude, and just not fun.

    Of course, I imagine this is muscle related, as we cannot find any source of pain - ligament is sound, back/SI/hocks/neck x-rayed and good. She's been adjusted by a chiro, massaged, and done a bute trial with no change. Saddle evaluated and ulcers scoped, we even started her on omeprazole and some other hind gut ulcer thing I can't remember with no change. Regumate, mare magic, and raspberry leaves helped her not bully the other horses but not the riding.

    I assume therefore it's fitness and muscle development, but it doesn't seem to be improving with special attention. With a little force and beating (not beating for real just being firm) I can get decent work but still very different from the right.

    Even the OTTBs I've worked with even out faster, is this just a time thing? It's been 6 mos, is that too short? Any other pain spots I can check? Am I being taken advantage of by being too nice (darn mares )?

    TIA

  • #2
    Lateral work in hand at the walk, both directions. Then lateral work under saddle both directions. If she doesn't know lateral work this is your chance to teach her.

    Horse has been lame on that side for ages. She isn't being rude. She has just lost fitness and doesn't trust that leg.

    Ask anyone who has broken or badly sprained an arm or leg how long it took to have full use after the cast came off.

    Comment


    • #3
      I had nerve damage on my left side in June 2012. I am *still* working on straightening myself out, overcoming muscle atrophy, and still have times my left leg doesn't seem to want to support me. I did physical therapy exercises diligently. 6 months is *nothing*.
      If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
      -meupatdoes

      Comment


      • #4
        Have someone video you riding.
        How is she lunging (without a saddle and with) to the left.

        Is it longeing? lunging? I've forgotten

        Not that this is applicable to you, but I had someone video me last summer and ,oh my, the feeling that the horse was lame to the left, was... me. I am squinched over to the right - badly. And the 2 horses I have ridden both were "lame" to the left for me. But they weren't it was me.
        My instructor hasn't seen it consistently because winter clothes hide it.

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Originally posted by Chall View Post
          Have someone video you riding.
          How is she lunging (without a saddle and with) to the left.

          Is it longeing? lunging? I've forgotten

          Not that this is applicable to you, but I had someone video me last summer and ,oh my, the feeling that the horse was lame to the left, was... me. I am squinched over to the right - badly. And the 2 horses I have ridden both were "lame" to the left for me. But they weren't it was me.
          My instructor hasn't seen it consistently because winter clothes hide it.
          Thank you! I thought it was me at first, but I've always been stronger to the left - it was our good direction. I also don't notice this on other horses nor does my trainer see it, left is normally good for me.


          netg, thanks for the response. Do you think that amount of time you took in recover was because it was an injury directly affecting nervous function versus just not having muscle? ie should I ask the vet to run more bloods, check for lyme, EPM and whatnot or could the circumstances of muscle growth and coordination be different?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by whoops View Post

            Thank you! I thought it was me at first, but I've always been stronger to the left - it was our good direction. I also don't notice this on other horses nor does my trainer see it, left is normally good for me.


            netg, thanks for the response. Do you think that amount of time you took in recover was because it was an injury directly affecting nervous function versus just not having muscle? ie should I ask the vet to run more bloods, check for lyme, EPM and whatnot or could the circumstances of muscle growth and coordination be different?
            The nerve problem itself was healed in around a year for the most part, but your muscles become used to a different pattern of operating. Your horse has learned to rely on one side - and has to re-learn not to do so. It's just time, patience, and eventually you'll get there.


            Obviously assuming all's well physically, which it sounds like is the case.
            If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
            -meupatdoes

            Comment


            • #7
              I sprained my ankle a while back and it took a year to have full function.

              I broke my foot and had soft tissue injury last winter and it took at least 8 months to have full fitness back. Plus even now I can get transient aches in that area. Nothing that would show on a rad. I'm sure horses have the same.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, it takes a long time to physically recover and mentally too. My gelding is still dealing with anxiety about transitions after a long recovery from a painful injury. And he's crooked! The compensation they do while favoring the sore parts makes it hard to figure out is something weak? Sore? Just don't want to?

                Walking is your friend during rehab. When you trot, change diagonals every 10 strides so you force yourself and her to work evenly.



                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #9
                  Originally posted by netg View Post

                  The nerve problem itself was healed in around a year for the most part, but your muscles become used to a different pattern of operating. Your horse has learned to rely on one side - and has to re-learn not to do so. It's just time, patience, and eventually you'll get there.


                  Obviously assuming all's well physically, which it sounds like is the case.
                  Thanks for the clarification, I assumed it was a chronic issue.

                  Scribbler, thanks! I understand she won't have full muscle of even close yet, but I haven't really seen much improvement period. Was your recovery gradual or more all at once after lots of PT?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It won't hurt to rub some aloguard liniment on before work. It will not burn or blister.
                    It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by whoops View Post

                      Thanks for the clarification, I assumed it was a chronic issue.

                      Scribbler, thanks! I understand she won't have full muscle of even close yet, but I haven't really seen much improvement period. Was your recovery gradual or more all at once after lots of PT?
                      No PT. Gradual with lots of barn work being mindful of what was general fitness loss and what was specific to that foot. I was effectively looking lame going short on that side well after it didn't hurt, because the broken foot felt weaker and vulnerable.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X