Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

barn1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Give me suggestions - horse is great at home, struggles to perform at shows

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me suggestions - horse is great at home, struggles to perform at shows

The basics:
    - Adult ammy rider, baroque-style half-arabian mare in her teens, showing 1st level at USDF, & 2nd level at GMO shows
    - horse is worked 4-6x week (mix of riding, lungeing/longlining, hacking)
    - longtime relationship with great coach, currently in a 3x/week lessons/training program

I've owned the horse for over a decade - early in her career we did open/county fair type rail class shows, played around with training level GMO dressage in 2011-2012, she had a few years off as a complete pasture puff, and then I brought her back to work in early 2016 and we've been building from there.

I'm struggling with a pattern I've observed at multi-day shows. I'm hoping COTH has some ideas.
    We typically show at venues that are a 1-3 hr commute from home. We'll arrive on Friday afternoon, unload and setup, and do a schooling session on the show grounds to get the horses used to everything and let them stretch. Usually I do 1 or 2 tests on Saturday, and 1 test on Sunday.

Mare always feels great during Friday schooling and I can do 90-95% of what we can do at home. She's a great traveler - not hot or spooky in new settings.
    By our test on Saturday, she's starting to fade. I can usually only get 60-70% of the engagement I feel at home. By Sunday, she is physically and sometimes mentally 'over it' and I really struggle to keep her forward and on my aids.

One big example of how this manifests is at home we have a lovely adjustable canter with clear distinctions between collected, working, and lengthened.
    On Friday's school, we still have our "at home" canter. By Saturday, it's difficult to find the collected canter. By Sunday, our lengthen is gone and it's getting lateral.

I'm trying to pinpoint the cause/solution for this and I think it's a complicated mix of management, mare's fatigue from travel, being in an unfamiliar situation, unfamilar footing etc, and her limitations as a horse that's not naturally gifted at dressage.

At home she lives out 24/7 except in inclement weather. This works well for her mental and physical soundness. She's fine in a stall at shows behavior-wise, but I can tell that the lack of movement is hard on her physically. I bed the stall deep, keep her in standing wraps, and try to hand-walk frequently, but I can still tell she's stiff after the first night.

Once the stiffness sets in, it's more difficult for her to respond to the aids and she stops trying. The week after a show is usually pretty messy in terms of re-establishing forward, half halt and lateral suppleness.
    Things I've tried so far:
    - keep Friday's schooling session VERY light, just enough to stretch out and see the sights
    - hock injections & hind shoes planned for before next show
    - as much time out of the stall as I can manage - handwalking, grazing, etc
    - really light warmups before our tests that start with up to 30 minutes of walking and stretching before we 'get down to business', we do very little pre-test schooling

If I could, I would haul into the show day-of. It's difficult because I travel with a group, and we all help each other out.

I would love any suggestions about management, schooling/training/ringcraft, or other ideas that could help maintain performance at/after shows and avoid or lessen how Maresy stalls out halfway through.

• atr
    replied
    Do you think you change when you go to a show?

I mention this purely because I think it's what I do... it's subconscious, I'm not "nervous" in front of the judge, but I'm trying too damned hard and blocking my horse, who then get stiff and anxious.

So personally I'm trying for NBD, loosey goosey, happy-go-lucky in the arena this year. We'll see how that goes (And I'm thinking that part of that is the long warmup walks, spending time out of the stall together, puttering about and relaxing stuff that everyone else is talking about for the horse and for me, too.)

Leave a comment:

• Ambitious Kate
    replied
    I beleive she probably isn't sleeping at the showgrounds. Just for shits and giggles, try arriving one weekend on Saturday, early morning, early of course, and see how she goes.My guess is if she isn't sleeping she can't function. If you think that's the problem, see if you can solve whatever anxiety is keeping her from sleeping. In general, horses who don't feel safe won't sleep. She may need blinds on her stall, or, she may need the opposite, to see other horses, and to see what's coming and not think she has to stay awake and be vigilant. Something like that.

Leave a comment:

• BrokenArrow
    replied
    I'm going to add to the camp of movement is going to be your mare's friend.

I got these for my mare who's a little stiff and slow to warm up thanks to an injury.

https://horseware.com.au/collections...culation-boots

https://horseware.com.au/collections...ibe-hock-wraps

I use the massage function before work and the ice packs for afterwards. They do ship overseas as well and while a little more expensive than BoT, I've found them to be extremely beneficial. Even my husband's old eventer looks a lot more free moving with these warming him up beforehand.

Leave a comment:

• bdj
    replied
    OP, don't know if you've managed to try out the Back On Track stuff yet, but wanted to let you know that Tack of the Day is having a President's Day BoT sale.
    http://www.tackoftheday.com/Back_On_...cts_s/4111.htm
    Looks like they have both kinds of hock boots on sale, too.

Leave a comment:

• enterata
    replied
    I have not used them but know people who swear by the BOT hock boots 30 minutes before a ride. Also, I have found an excellent product to help sport horses. Requires no prescription and very affordable. Much better than Adequan, which did nothing for the horses I used it on. Disclosure: I am no way affiliated with this product, just sharing.
    A REVOLUTIONARY NEW PRODUCT, IMPROVING THE MOBILITY, PERFORMANCE AND COMFORT OF HORSES AND DOGS AROUND THE WORLD.

Leave a comment:

• Samantha37
    replied
    Originally posted by theresak View Post

While hand walking is great, she may also need to have someone hold the lead rope while she grazes and moves around slowly for a few hours rather than continuous walking for 20 minutes.
    This is golden. While I will do a typical handwalk in the morning, I do this type of thing in the evening. It's actually a fun group activity. The whole team takes their horse and we all go to a grazing area and let the horses wander and graze and we chat. It's a nice cap off to the busy day.

I will also say my horse gets hock sores SUPER fast. I can't use shavings at shows. Instead of shavings I use straw, which provides significantly more cushion and my horse doesn't get hock sores.

Leave a comment:

• theresak
    replied
    Consider asking the show manager or the grounds manager/owner directly to see if they have any turnout options available for rent during the show.

While hand walking is great, she may also need to have someone hold the lead rope while she grazes and moves around slowly for a few hours rather than continuous walking for 20 minutes.

You could also see if your coach could ride her once in the show ring to see if you are babying her a bit too much - is she really tired or is she just not offering as much quality and you are accepting it?

Leave a comment:

• alibi_18
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 3rottenponies
    replied
    I would look into BOT for her. I wasn't really a believer until I bought one of the products for myself. Now I know.

Another thing to look into would be stall mats for long shows. I find our show horses seem to handle long shows much better when stalled with mats and bedding than just bedding.

Leave a comment:

• RedHorses
    replied
    It sounds like the stall is causing stiffness through movement restriction. My first horse had wicked bone spurs in every joint space below his knees. I could tell you at two o'clock the next afternoon if he'd spent the previous night inside. Night. Nothing to do with fitness.

??????When my horse (not that one with the joint spurs) was 16 I tried giving him glucosamine (he'd been on MSM for years). Not because he was stiff, or noticably needing something, but because he was 16 and has less than stellar conformation. A couple of weeks later I was trying to figure out why he felt ready to trot after 5-6 minutes of walk instead of the usual 10-12 minutes.

The horse I had between those two had a hock issue that was significantly improved by the right joint supplement for him. I realized that like everything else, not all horses will react the same way to a given supplement. My vet refused to suggest a specific joint supplement, instead telling me to pick one, double dose for two weeks, and if I didn't notice a difference to pick a different one.

I found one, and after a year or so they changed how it was made. It looked and smelled different, and did nothing for my horse. Four days after I started the right supplement I noticed improvement. I didn't really believe it, but he just kept improving.

So try something. When I was researching way back when the advice was 10,000mg glucosamine and 10,000mg MSM together. That's what I did for the 16yr old too. I won't advise on the product, but will suggest you try one that is easily available as it sucks to have supply issues.

Try one and play attention to your metrics. The halved walk warm up time was obviously not a placebo effect for my horse. Neither was the gait irregularity in the second horse.

Separate your tests. Don't change routine, do injections, bury her in BoT products, massage her with lineament, give her banamine, and joint supplements all at once. You'll have no idea what actually helped!

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• PaddockWood
    replied
    Great ideas from everyone. Montana the magic words you used were you ride 20 miles and she's ready to rock the next day. At the shows, you gotta keep her out of that stall as much as possible and MOVING. Just like us - she needs to move to have lube. I say the next show you have her out hand walking/riding - pay people to help get it done if necessary. Will be really curious to get your update on the next show.

Leave a comment:

• Samantha37
    replied
    My older horse gets Back on Track mesh sheet and quick wraps when we are at a show and it makes a WORLD of difference. We go to USDF shows Friday-Sunday. I don't know that I would skip your Friday ride... for my guy, we do 15-20 minutes of mostly suppling work and call it a day, but I think it helps to get him moving around. It is NOT a full lesson. Depending on the level, he will show once or twice on Saturday and always once on Sunday. I show him at 3rd level so we do one test each day, but his lessee showed him last year at TL and 1st level so she did 2 tests on Saturdays.

There is also a legal amount of bute that you can give - look it up and maybe give it Saturday nights while at shows? It would help with the lingering stiffness.

I would probably also address her GI while you are at it. Try Ulcergard or some form of stomach protection for a few days before the show and during the show.

Also.. tons of handwalking but make sure she has time to actually rest/sleep. She might not be sleeping well at the shows which would cause you to have issues.

Any time my massage therapist for my horse is going to a show, I get him done at the show. I really notice a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Montanas_Girl
    replied
    Originally posted by IPEsq View Post

You can no longer give Robaxin + an NSAID at shows. For some reason, USEF is classifying Robaxin as an NSAID for these purposes and lumping it into the rule that you can't give more than one NSAID.

Bummer. I didn't know that. It's been almost a decade since my last USEF show. About to start back this year, but with a baby, so I hadn't even looked at the updates. Thanks for the information!

Leave a comment:

• IPEsq
    replied
    Originally posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
    My old show hunter (also a Half Arab, coincidentally) would get similarly stiff - not really "sore", just less fluid - in his back when we traveled to shows that involved overnight stabling late in his career. Through some trial and error, we finally settled on legal doses of Bute and Robaxin to help him compensate for the lack of turnout. The Robaxin seemed to help much more than the Bute, but the combination worked wonders. He didn't get either for shows where we could haul in.

It's worth talking to your vet about what the best course of action would be. Older horses can sometimes use a bit of help in situations like a multi-day show.
    You can no longer give Robaxin + an NSAID at shows. For some reason, USEF is classifying Robaxin as an NSAID for these purposes and lumping it into the rule that you can't give more than one NSAID.

Leave a comment:

• Montanas_Girl
    replied
    My old show hunter (also a Half Arab, coincidentally) would get similarly stiff - not really "sore", just less fluid - in his back when we traveled to shows that involved overnight stabling late in his career. Through some trial and error, we finally settled on legal doses of Bute and Robaxin to help him compensate for the lack of turnout. The Robaxin seemed to help much more than the Bute, but the combination worked wonders. He didn't get either for shows where we could haul in.

It's worth talking to your vet about what the best course of action would be. Older horses can sometimes use a bit of help in situations like a multi-day show.

Leave a comment:

• lorilu
    replied
    I'm seconding the BoT sheet and hock boots. Here in Florida the mesh sheet is fine even in the summer if the fan is on. He wears them for between 30 min- one hour before I tack up. Made a big difference. And also seconding the idea that maybe she isnt sleeping enough...... maybe old fashioned stall curtains to give her privacy?

Have you looked at the Posture Prep tool? It is a massage tool that looks like a curry with rounded knobs. It is used across the fascia in a specific pattern over the horse's body. I find giving him a good rub down with it really helps my guy when we work hard and I see he is feeling it because he rubs his ass on a certain tree branch LOL https://drpatbona.com/

Does she get a rub down with SOre No More? I often use the posture prep tool with SNM Gelotion.

ANd finally, perhaps get her used to being stalled by keeping her inside a few times a week, and giving her lots of hand walking time at the shows between/before/after her classes.

Does she get any supplements such as COsequin ASU?

Leave a comment:

• seabreeze
    replied
    I don't have any advice to offer, but I wanted to comment that your post and responses give me the warm and fuzzies. Your mare is lucky to have an owner so concerned about and in tune to her well-being! Good luck finding what works.

Leave a comment:

• ArabDiva
    replied
    Originally posted by IPEsq View Post
    I wouldn't do Previcox if she doesn't need it at home. It is one that takes some time to build up in the body. For just a dose or two to manage arthritis while at the show, use Bute or Banamine. Also show legal in appropriate amounts and timing.

Another thing to consider right before the show is Legend. Some horses respond well to it, others it doesn't do much. Doesn't tend to last a real long time, but might help her not feel so creaky. Could also be given in conjunction with NSAID support.

Where is the arthritis? I do think some BOT products help, but sometimes the issue may be in a place that is harder to get, say for example stifles. Also don't know what your climate is, but relying on that in summer may or may not be doable.

It does for sure sounds like the Friday school is not really helping you. Hand walk or graze instead while your group is schooling.

Experiment also with 3 fairly hard rides at home in a row and see how she does. If that is hard, you also need to work more on fitness. Maybe replace a longe with another good hack with some marching walk and/or some galloping.
    Thanks for the ideas, lots of good stuff to think about and try here. I will research Legend for sure.

Arthritis is in hocks for sure, particularly right hock and I know BoT makes boots for that which wouldn't be too expensive to try out. Stifles not sure, coach/vet/bodyworker haven't brought it up, but I wouldn't be super surprised given her age and history.

Leave a comment:

• ArabDiva
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderosa View Post
    Don't discount how fatiguing travel can be. I know a few driving horse trainers that like to capitalize on that by working new horses right off the trailer. (Sounds mean unless you've seen the damage 5000 lbs of runaway can do :0)

What about adding in some post-arrival massage? I use foam rollers and other tools on sore areas after weight lifting to prevent fascia scar tissue buildup on my own body. Horses must experience similar problems to humans in that regard. When I was a teenager, post-ride massage for horses seemed to be much more common than it is now. Not sure why.
    Yes, I know I'm tired and stiff after hauling to the show...I can't imagine what she must feel like in the trailer!

Massage is a great idea, I try to do some work on her myself with lots of currying to help circulation and I have a few things her at-home bodyworker taught us. There aren't always bodyworkers at the show (that I trust!) but I like to take advantage at the larger ones when it's available.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X