Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

sycamore barn and garage
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Saw on FB- entry fees for Amateur CDI increased this year from $100 to $300

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw on FB- entry fees for Amateur CDI increased this year from $100 to $300

I will never ride a CDI in my lifetime but on behalf of those who want to- that's outrageous. Following on the Adult Amateur Action Committee FB page.

I'm sure the attitude is that if you can afford to buy/train/campaign an FEI level horse, that's just a drop in the bucket financially. *shrug*

Comment

Yeah...absolutely ridiculous. $185 for the Open PSG in the CDI, $300 for the Amateur PSG in the CDI.

Comment

I wonder whether it's an attempt to recoup some of the cost of the judges' transportation and hotel fees.

A CDI event needs so many judges and in order to meet the international requirements, at least some of them have to come from far and wide. I know that's a huge expense as well as renting the fencing and hiring the security. Because the CDI barn needs to be separated and access is controlled. It's really costly.

I have acquaintances who own CDI-competitive horses and who've been approached in past seasons to co-sponsor CDIs in order to ensure they take place at all. It's basically, "Please kick in x-number-of-thousands of dollars, whatever you can, or we may have to cancel." And it's been those fees above what's required for regular shows, that show managers have cited, when they've been asking for cash. Gold, Silver, Bronze, Arena sponsorships. That type of thing.

Maybe this super high class fee is a way to spread the higher cost around among all the competitors?

I'm just speculating, I have never heard an owner complain to me or anyone else about being hit up for the funds while other owners have been paying less. But my not having heard it doesn't mean someone writing checks didn't say something to someone in power, somewhere.

Comment

Why rise the cost just for Amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by js View Post
            Exactly. Why? It kind of fits the pattern (like the Freestyle rule change) of discouraging people from taking a leap onto a stage for which they possibly aren't ready. "If you think you're good enough for worldly comparison, well, here's an additional burden we expect of you in order to show it."

If we accept that as the reason for the fees, then it implies the judges are seeing eye-roll worthy amateurs in the CDIs. At the CDIs I've witnessed (Southern CA), there have never been more than three Amateurs in the classes. Sometimes one, mostly two. The ones I saw have not scored as well as the pros at their levels, but they were nowhere near shame inducing.

It might be different elsewhere. Perhaps there are hordes of inadequate Ammies competing in Florida and the PTB want to thin the ranks. I know the man who lobbied hard for Ammies to get a category at CDIs is a Florida-based rider, but I haven't sussed out the level of participation at the CDIs there versus what we have out West.

Or, as I speculated above, it could just be that some owners of pro-sponsored horses groused to USEF higher ups that Amateurs have been riding on their deep-pocketed coattails, without kicking in a fair share of the costs.

Comment

• Original Poster

Here's one link to the discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1650039781880524/

And if you would like to weigh in with the Global management:
              https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Comment

I just pulled up the Prize List for a January CDI in California.

http://westcoastdressagefestival.com...019WCDF1-1.pdf

The entry fees for this one are no higher for Amateurs than for Open entrants. So maybe it is only at Global that they are implementing this.

Comment

Is the West Coast Dressage Festival a different organizer? Prices are set by the organizer/manager.

I just talked to a few people and they sounded hopeful that this would be fixed soon.

Comment

Totally different managers and producers of all the CDI shows in the West, versus Global.

I sleuthed through the results on Fox Village from Global CDIs last Spring and the Ammie numbers are similar to the West Coast. One, two, three and sometimes four entries. But when there were four, two of them were the same Amateur owner competing against herself with two different mounts at the same level.

It does not appear the CDI Ammie classes are overrun.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverbridge View Post
                      Totally different managers and producers of all the CDI shows in the West, versus Global.

I sleuthed through the results on Fox Village from Global CDIs last Spring and the Ammie numbers are similar to the West Coast. One, two, three and sometimes four entries. But when there were four, two of them were the same Amateur owner competing against herself with two different mounts at the same level.

It does not appear the CDI Ammie classes are overrun.
                      Interesting! My experience in the northeast has been the same. Once there were 6!

Comment

It seems the Facebook group got it changed. The fee is now $150. (Still a big percentage increase, but better than tripled!)

Comment

Originally posted by Belowthesalt View Post
                          I'm sure the attitude is that if you can afford to buy/train/campaign an FEI level horse, that's just a drop in the bucket financially.
                          Not necessarily. Not everyone marries well, or earns a lot, or just has that much money. Some compete on a shoestring and make sacrifices in order to compete.

Comment

Originally posted by KyrieNZ View Post

Not necessarily. Not everyone marries well, or earns a lot, or just has that much money. Some compete on a shoestring and make sacrifices in order to compete.
                            I *sort* of agree. But what type of sacrifices are you making to afford that. How much can someone sacrifice when they they have left to gie after their horse is food, housing, and electricity, and still afford thw right training and care for you horse without sacrificing for them. This is mostly personal, but agian, I think this price increases speaks volumes for som of the other posts about ammy riders and then grassroot ammy riders. I myself will never show except little local shows, I can't afford it now and I'm not sure I ever will be able to.

Comment

Keeps the peasants in their place I guess. For everyone else, it's one less vial of Botox that week. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by js View Post
                                Keep in mind it's not Amateurs by the US definition, either.

It's basically a tax on anyone who isn't on the FEI World Ranking List (which is the definition of "amateur" for this division) and wants a chance to place without Olympians in the same class. Personally, I think an introduction to international competition class seems a good idea - not competing at that level, I can only assume it's different than simply competing in a national level class. This is putting a tax on that.
                                If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                                -meupatdoes

Comment

Originally posted by yaya View Post
                                  It seems the Facebook group got it changed. The fee is now $150. (Still a big percentage increase, but better than tripled!)
                                  I think this is interesting... they are interested to keep the richest ones happy. But for everybody else they raised the membership fee again for $5. I wonder what the argument was for that??
                                  https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
                                  https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

Originally posted by Manni01 View Post

I think this is interesting... they are interested to keep the richest ones happy. But for everybody else they raised the membership fee again for $5. I wonder what the argument was for that??
                                    Cost increases - overhead, personnel, legal...?
                                    "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by Manni01 View Post

What membership fee? USDF/USEF have no say in CDI fees.

Comment

Originally posted by MissAriel View Post

Cost increases - overhead, personnel, legal...?
                                        Like always... and I am sure our delegates cheered to it
                                        https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
                                        https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

Working...
                                        X