Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

sycamore barn and garage
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Dressage Today is now Practical Horseman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressage Today is now Practical Horseman

My Dressage Today is now Practical Horseman... Not happy.

gone are the days of D and CT. 8-(
    _\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Procrastinate NOW
    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Yep, I sure miss D & CT. I won't be renewing Dressage Today next time. USDF Connection gives me all the news I need.

Comment

What a shame. I suspect that will kill a large percentage of DT subscribers' renewals and ultimately hasten the scaling back of their dressage content even further.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, me too. My me too, moment, will likely not renew. I do not want, need the jumping, ct stuff.
          Sad, will miss DT.

Comment

Hmmm... I'm a long-time subscriber and haven't gotten any notification.. How did it come?

Comment

Originally posted by emo View Post
              Hmmm... I'm a long-time subscriber and haven't gotten any notification.. How did it come?
              I'm a subscriber and haven't had any direct info either, it was a Facebook post on the DT page that was indeed very confusing. I think it was saying DT and PH were merging and also only being published quarterly, but someone may correct me on that. Not a good way to treat subscribers.

Comment

prhcustserv@cdsfulfillment.com or call (877) 717-8929 or (386) 447-6317.

Until next time,
                Jennifer Mellace
                Content Director, DressageToday.com
                Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

Sad to say it is the sign of the times ---20 years ago I made a little extra money ($2-3K) a year writing freelance for the various equestrian based magazines --and I did photography too (think black and white developed in my own darkroom). That meshed nicely with my teaching job of photography and journalism. But I don't think I've written or submitted anything since 2005 (12 years). The market literally dried up. Publications merged, the same articles were used in two or three magazines, and of course photography went digital. I don't know if freelancers still exist --maybe they do in a new form called bloggers who earn money (somehow) through writing for the web. I still get two equestrian mags ---EQUUS and Practical Horseman --but honestly haven't learned anything new about horses in a while. Like everyone else, I read COTH!

Comment

Not surprised, DT had hardly any pages left to it as it was. Combining the two doesn't make for enough reading material for a monthly magazine? Bummer, I hate quarterly subscriptions, they seem to be the ones that never show up.

Don't see DT going digital is going to help them. I don't like digital anything (mostly because of crappy internet service and impossible download times), I still prefer a real magazine.

Maybe they should have asked why people weren't buying their magazines.

The old D&CT had incredible articles about actual training by very noted trainers and riders, I learned a lot from those magazines.

Back to getting horse magazines from Europe, expensive but they have good magazines still available.

Comment

I've had a DT subscription since Day One. But when I heard this (and not from DT directly), I cancelled my subscription, even though I had a year left on it. Not going to pay a year's price for only 4 issues, and I don't read digital magazines.

Comment

Follow the money!

I found out when my subscription arrived. I had just renewed and thought for a horrified moment that I had accidentally renewed the wrong magazine. Nope!
                        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Well, if you really want to stick with them, for a MERE $36/month, they are offering on-line content - seriously! I have to say, after the last few magazines, I'd already made up my mind they weren't getting my $ anymore. I'm another who has been with them "since the beginning", and watched the slow and steady decline.

I think it is kind of BS that they haven't notified subscribers. But - then it is a big corporate magazine company, so what do we expect...

I think print media is suffering in general. I haven't seen many really good articles in ANY of the horse magazines I get in the past year.

Comment

Originally posted by x-halt-salute View Post
                            What a shame. I suspect that will kill a large percentage of DT subscribers' renewals and ultimately hasten the scaling back of their dressage content even further.
                            Would that not negate the reason for the merger ? If that were the case it would have been better just to close down DT. I would think they are trying to provide economical dressage content and keep print subscribers. dressagetoday.com is going to be "enhanced".
                            Unfortunately print publications are no longer an economically viable product.
                            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post

Would that not negate the reason for the merger ? If that were the case it would have been better just to close down DT. I would think they are trying to provide economical dressage content and keep print subscribers. dressagetoday.com is going to be "enhanced".
                              Unfortunately print publications are no longer an economically viable product.
                              Indeed it would negate the official reason for the merger, but there's no way that a majority of people who paid for dressage specific content in magazine form are going to be happy enough with a general equestrian magazine and some online content that they'll keep renewing. I'm cynical enough to suspect that they may be shuffling staff and trying to retain some subscription dollars in the short term for financial reasons, without any real faith that it will keep the dressage side of their publication alive in the longer term.

Comment

I remember doing the L program almost 30 years ago and Peter Lert was asked to float among the people the idea of a brand new magazine that was a break away from Practical Horseman--Dressage Today.

Now they are merging again. It obviously is not cost efficient now with everything online.

Comment

• Original Poster

I really liked the Practical Horseman of the 70s. The format was different; the cover photo was from the feature article which was always the first one. There were fewer ads between the cover, index and that feature. At that time I did some jumping and eventing interested me back then (Poltroon!). Now the injuries and deaths in eventing put me off, and I no longer jump.

Comment

I loved the Practical Horseman of the 70s and 80s, which was not a general interest magazine but very focused on sport horses, both news and training tips. That old PH was more like today's COTH but a bit more training, and more on individual personalities than particular events. The new one doesn't hold my interest, which is probably a combination of my changing needs as well as their changing format.

I couldn't wait for my horse magazines to arrive when I was a kid, but my daughter never developed an interest in the magazines. I don't know why that is exactly but my guess is it's indicative of larger trends where every day online content takes the place of that once a month magazine lifeline, in addition to the fact that fewer kids have horses and when they do they are more likely to be in full service environments.

It's sad to me that things are changing but I'm part of the problem.
                                    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I received a letter from them and I am not even a subscriber. They did just recently solicit me for a $1 a month subscription. I have let most of my magazines expire and the only one I still get in print is EQUUS. That will not be renewed either.

Comment

Disappointing but the magazine really hasn't been very useful for quite a while

Comment

Working...
                                        X