Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

img_1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Keeping your whites WHITE! Tricks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping your whites WHITE! Tricks?

I have searched and searched for tips that work for keeping white breeches, and pads white, and have not come up with any success other than buying a new pair or pad each time...which isnt economical.
    I've learned to spray off my saddle pads immediately after use with the highest setting on my garden hose to remove dirt, and to vacuum saddle pads with the shop vac to remove hair and dirt prior to washing, but it just seems that they never come sparkling white after washing.

Ive used regular detergent and special saddle pad soap, oxy clean, shout, spray n wash, clorox 2, and bleach, overnight soaking, pre-soak, and extra rinsing. I have a top load HE washer so I'm not sure if its my hard water that keeps the detergents from its job, leaving everything dingy or what.

Any other tips and tricks, please help! I don't want to put my new white Pipers with a grey full seat in bleach water, but even after washing twice and pre-treating, the very faint stains I had pre-wash didnt come out and now they are dingy
    Does Scotchguard practical and effective for breeches and pads for preventing stains from setting?
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine
    Love vs Money...for the love of my horse, I have no money!

Someone once mentioned Natures Miracle, yes the pet stain remover, as a great laundry additive.

Comment

If you have hard water, try Calgon Water Softener - comes in powder and liquid. Just add it to your detergent in the wash.
      Attached Files
      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

Yes, Scotchguard works amazingly well on pads. I Scotchguarded the heck out of my white Back on Track pad, and I use the OxiClean stick on any dirt and boot stains before washing, and it still looks new after two show seasons.
        www.cobjockey.com - Eventing the Welsh Cob

Comment

I second Scotch Guard! Works great!
          "I am but a passenger on this ship"
          -- Stendal (epitaph)

Comment

Both for my whites as well as DS's white baseball pants here is what I do:

1. Brush or rinse to remove "chunks" of dirt
            2. If there is red mud/dirt - presoak (min 1h) in a hot solution of Iron Out (do this outside or a very well ventilated area - it stinks!)
            3. Pretreat other stains based on type of stain - grass, horse slobber and food stains get enzymatic pretreatment, shoe polish gets Stain Devil, etc.
            4. Machine pre-wash cycle using Oxiclean, then standard hot water wash cycle wtih normal detergent

I have a front-load HE and we have fairly hard water. The wash cycles take a long time, but this does a really good job - even gets the ground in mud stains out of DS's baseball pants.
            "So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit." Crash Davis; Bull Durham

Comment

Bluing!

Comment

Following.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Foxtail View Post
                  Bluing!
                  Is there a detergent form thats safe to use in a washer? and how much? I dont want to just squirt some Quiksilver type solution in the wash.
                  Crayola Posse~Aquamarine

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by emipou View Post
                    I second Scotch Guard! Works great!
                    Does it do anything to prevent saddle stains (black/brown) on the front of the pad or are those a lost cause?
                    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine

Comment

Originally posted by Empressive Award View Post

Does it do anything to prevent saddle stains (black/brown) on the front of the pad or are those a lost cause?
                      I use it after every wash for my white Lemieux pad. I've been using this pad in regular rotation for over a year now and it's still clean enough that I would consider showing it in.
                      "I am but a passenger on this ship"
                      -- Stendal (epitaph)

Comment

Originally posted by Empressive Award View Post

Is there a detergent form thats safe to use in a washer? and how much? I dont want to just squirt some Quiksilver type solution in the wash.
                        I generally use Mrs. Stewarts Bluing, since that's what my grocery store stocks. They've got instructions on their website, since the amount varies depending on the washer, but I generally use a quarter teaspoon diluted with a quart of cold water.

Comment

Working...
                        X