• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Large Pony/Small Horse for the... ahem *Mature* Adult to do dressage and trail ride on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WannabeDQ View Post

New Forest Ponies are bred to have gentle natures that are appropriate for children with the added benefit of being very sound and athletic. Perhaps meet an actual New Forest pony before judging?

I also love the GRP, some can be a little hotter but they are also better movers than the NF pony. I’m tempted by a filly at Solomon Farm, glad to hear you had a positive experience with them!
    I did meet an actual New Forest pony. I discussed him above, from the very breeding program you mentioned. He was out of a mare from known difficult wb lines, but was hot, spooky, and lacked self preservation so was almost constantly injured in some way from doing something stupid. That's the example I've known from the breeding program you cited, so I commented that I don't agree. That's all, each of us has individual evidence in for of or in favor of a particular breed.
    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Originally posted by exvet View Post
      This is my Morgan.
      Gorgeous example of the breed!
      Thank you! He really was quite handsome and well proportioned - though not fancy by today's standards. He was out of Windon Snow, who was a very well known and desirable stallion in 1970's and 1980's. But his lineage would be very, very far back on pedigrees these days.
      ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

I have to brag on my fjord, I never thought I would be such a fjan of fjords. I bought him to be a driving prospect and to trail ride on and he has been all that and more. We are just really starting his driving career, we've done one driving trial, had a bunch of lessons, been deemed suitable to move up to prelim next season (skipping training)...

But I also do ridden dressage. Originally just to help with the driven aspect, but he's a lot of fun and moderately talented, so now I plan to do the breed and pony cup stuff as soon as driving season winds down. I started him in Training last spring, did a few local shows to save the $$$ and in August (our last show) I thought what the heck, I'd try First 1 and see where we are even though his lengthenings are not "Netflix" (on demand) just yet. Still, he managed a few 7s on them and scored a 63+ on his first time out, so I am more than pleased.

Also, you wanna go trail riding in the mountains? No Problem. Cross the Etowah? No problem (OK parts of that are challenging since I had to lift my toes on the 16'3 hand horse when the water is high). Go off to SoPi 2x a year and jump him? No problem, even though that is the ONLY time he jumps. Period.

And he has so much GO, honestly, it's like riding one of my TBs except (to be honest) you need more upper body strength. And even though he isn't a draft type fjord, I'm 5'8 with longer than average leg and he's 14'1+ and I am forever surprised that the ground comes up so fast when I get off. He rides just like a horse.

And from what I understand haffies are not like fjords. Haffies are ... well, known to be a touch single minded. I mean all ponies are going to have a pony moment, it's why they are ponies (and if it is a well trained pony, chances are that pony is making the smarter decision than the human in the moment). Mostly Fjords really want to be a partner in whatever crazy idea their humans have. Is dressage challenging to them with their body build? Yup, it can be. But if you want to do a wide variety of things and have a lot of fun and make sure you get one with a less drafty build, it's worth the challenge!

But mostly everyone who meets him falls in love because he is Totes Adorbs.

You want to driven dressage? I got that.
        https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1877/...4fec929c_z.jpg

Cones? He's got some trot (I'm really not too concerned about his lengthenings ).
        https://flic.kr/p/2bsxn96

Handy turns in the derby? Balanced turns? Check and check
        https://flic.kr/p/2bsxffB

Trail riding? No problem. Go out on the foundation and find some fun jumps, realize your pony only jumped once and that was the last time you were here 7 months ago. Not a problem.

https://flic.kr/p/2bsykpx

https://flic.kr/p/2cM4KSo
        Last edited by DMK; Nov. 13, 2018, 10:33 AM. Reason: fixed link
        Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by soloudinhere View Post

I did meet an actual New Forest pony. I discussed him above, from the very breeding program you mentioned. He was out of a mare from known difficult wb lines, but was hot, spooky, and lacked self preservation so was almost constantly injured in some way from doing something stupid. That's the example I've known from the breeding program you cited, so I commented that I don't agree. That's all, each of us has individual evidence in for of or in favor of a particular breed.
          No, you met a WB/pony cross out of difficult WARMBLOOD lines. Sounds like they tried to improve temperament with pony blood and it didn’t work. Please don’t bash the breed based on something that isn’t even a purebred!

Comment

• Original Poster

DMK, thanks for chiming in about your Fjord. He's adorable! And looks like tons of fun.
            Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses on Facebook
            Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses Website and Blog

Comment

Look for the horse, not the breed. I own a 15.2HH TB/Han cross, out of my TB mare. She's adorable and a bit opinionated but never wants to toss me, just throws her head around to object to my instruction. She is light to the leg, enjoys going fast but is VERY rateable. She is a pretty pretty princess in dressage, and eats up the jumps. Her ears are almost constantly forward while being ridden and seems to really enjoy doing things.

My trainer sold a 15.3HH mare that had some conformation related difficulties in dressage but very much a trier and a metronome to the fences. She was a hard sale because she was small, a TB, a cribber. Her new owner recently won a Championship at a rated hunter show. Same owner bought a very nice little TB mare as well, that was much more green but great personality. She wanted something to bring along while she had fun on the other one. (Side note - once people started seeing this older, adult amateur cleaning up at shows they were offering twice the money the owner bought that first mare for).

We also have a nice little TB gelding looking for a long term lease - bit green in the arena but a superstar trail horse and a quick learner. He does need someone who is going to be in charge - not that he needs much but if you act like a TOTAL passenger (think ranke beginner on a school pony), he's going to try to protect you and that means being jumpier about weird noises/things/sudden movements.

Comment

For good temperament and sound-mindedness, I second the quarter pony (Welsh/QH) suggestion. IMO they combine the best of both breeds in a medium sized package. My mare would be 14hh if she had withers , but as she does not, she measures around 13.2hh. Her girth amply takes up my leg (I'm 5'4"). She has a lovely floaty trot and canter, a good working attitude, and she's just a pleasure to be around. The schoolmaster pony at my former trainer's barn was also a quarter pony, and trainer had been offered $20,000 for him at one point. He was a fixture at her barn, and she declined to sell. FWIW, like other crosses, some look more like Welshies, some like QH's, and some a mixture of both.

Comment

I can't imagine seeking out a pony for the sole fact that it would be absolutely cost prohibitive in my area. I'm low-key pushing my 11yo towards horses instead of a large pony as she's outgrowing the medium. I'm 5'2'' and she's almost caught up with me. I have people offer me nice prospects and solid schoolmasters in need of minor maintenance for free all the time. But ponies? Ye Gods. $20K for an unbacked prospect. No, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by WannabeDQ View Post

New Forest Ponies are bred to have gentle natures that are appropriate for children with the added benefit of being very sound and athletic. Perhaps meet an actual New Forest pony before judging?
                    I’ve met hundreds. Lived on the outskirts of the forest for many years backed and brought on several at that time.

The actual original UK New Forests are a very mixed bunch indeed! As would be expected from semi-feral herds of ponies roaming freely. The ones I’ve mostly worked with had come straight from the drifts although we were occasionally gifted a lane creeper or two if they’d been causing issues (they’re the ponies that leave the more remote areas of the forest and end up in more populated areas and either cause problems or end up becoming one of the many road fatalities each year )

Most were clever, tough, hardy little critters but not particularly ‘quality’ in any way. The breed standard is very broad as they come in such different types depending on what stallions have been running with the herds. One of the commoners had obviously gone through a ‘spotty’ phase as they sold for a little more. I ended up with one from that stallion, a 12.2 spotty MULE (they also have herds of semI-feral donkeys roaming the forest. Also pigs - always fun coming across a massive herd of those out hacking ).

The only ones I’ve seen that I would choose as dressage prospects have been Dutch NFs, bred from handpicked exported stock and not representative of the breed I know. I’m guessing the US based ones run along similar lines.

Comment

Just popping in to say that, following the Mustang Magic Competition, Rebecca Bowman’s draw seems to be coming along quite nicely. She’s located in Atlanta, so you might be able to arrange a visit, transport, etc. depending on where in Georgia you are.

Comment

FatCatFarm , I know of a weanling Conn/TB/ID cross in our area that's for sale. Dam was a Intermediate ** horse. Sire is Megan Harris's stallion. Guess at this point is that he will finish 16.0 or less. He's gray and super cute.

FYI: I bought a KWPN mare that didn't grow to meet the height minimum(15.3 hds) for their Mare Performance Test. I think from their point of view she;s a cull; but she's exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, but if I go smaller, I would prefer to stay between 14 and 15 hds, and not 15.2 - 16hds. Rivendell Connemaras in AL has several nice weanlings and yearlings and I would go shopping there for a Connemara or cross. This thread was started more as something to think about for down the road. I really have plenty to ride at the moment. It would have to be a real bargain to make me plunk down money at this point and I really don't want anything older than a weanling because of current riding obligations. Still, lots of good suggestions here.

Comment

I think it really depends on the pony/horse at hand.

After re-starting OTTBs my whole life I went the Connemara route. As an AA with a family I just didn't have time for a thoroughbred anymore. Even thought I told myself I'd never buy a horse without meeting it in person I ended up buying a Connemara from Canada. He was 2 at the time and off the trailer seemed flighty and didn't want much to do with humans. This kept on until I broke him at 3 with the help of a friend supervising.

Once I started riding him he turned into the ultimate pocket pony. I don't think I'll ever go back to any other breed. He's turned out to be the love of my life horse-wise. He's one of the bravest horses I've ever ridden and a people pleaser. He can have a bit of stubborn side -- but is easily convinced otherwise. I'm 5'2" and he's 14 hands. I finally feel like I am able to communicate and be truly effective with my aids which I haven't felt with the horses I've ridden. Maybe after getting some good habits on him I'll feel more effective on a horse. I'm interested to test this out in another year or so.

He's about to sit for the rest of winter but I plan on starting his showing carrier next year in the dressage ring. From what I've seen so far he should be quite competitive.

The only tuff thing about Connemaras is they seem hard to find unless you want to go the yearling route.

Comment

If you're going with a Connemara cross and you'd really like to stay 14-15hh, recommend buying a 7-8yo and not a young horse. There was a breeder near me who was breeding Conn x Hanoverian crosses and ended up with a whole generation of 17hh athletes with some pony 'tude. I know of another Conn x mare that was intended to stay pony-sized but is now easily over 16hh. Based on those examples, I suspect those connemaras have some hidden height.

The Welsh crosses appear to be consistently smaller.

Comment

And another thing! I ditto the quarter pony/hony as suggested below. Lots of options in your size range, fun colors, generally sane*, and they can be legitimately athletic and fun. In my area, there are lots of reasonably-sized good-minded "usin'" horses. I just bought an unbroke 5yo stallion, and within 60d he's now a broke 5yo gelding that is pleasantly WTC under saddle and reliable out on trails. He's probably not the jumper that Fordtraktor's is, though...

*Some notable exceptions exist.

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                                My favorite is a good quarter pony/hony. I have a 15 h QH mare and she is just the most fun, tractable horse to ride. Plus she is cute as a button! She is doing lower level dressage easily, though her downhill confo will max her out at some point.

Comment

All this talk about large ponies, bringing up so many wonderful memories of my Connemara X and my Morgan... makes me want to go out and buy one! I do not need another mouth to feed, I do NOT need another mouth to feed, I DO NOT need another mouth to feed.... lol
                                  ~~ How do you catch a loose horse? Make a noise like a carrot! - British Cavalry joke ~~

Comment

DMK - Your Fjord is awesome! Have never sat on one but he sure looks fun. And that face.....

Comment

I love posts like this. My first horse was a massive 16.2 hand appendix quarter horse and I always lusted after ponies. As soon as I stopped worrying about peer pressure stuff I went and bought a “project pony” who’s turned into my forever pony.

Shes a 13.2 hand mixed, question mark, pinto pony. She’s brave, smart, and incredibly sensible. She’s hardy but also a princess, and really honest but has a great work ethic. I’ve found that those with a higher percentage of pony blood are sensible in that they don’t turn themselves to hamburger if they’re worried or excited by something. In the 6+ years I’ve owned her she’s only lightly injured herself a handful of times and never been off for more than a week. That’s amazing as an AA with limited time and resources and knowing that I’ll be able to ride and make progress when I go to the barn makes it so much more fun and less stressful.

I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a GRP at some point but honestly I just don’t know if I’d enjoy that much athleticism. Instead, I’d likely go the route of a Welsh or Welsh cross to really keep that Pony attitude and sensibility.

The other thing I love about ponies and honies is that they’re typically pretty hardy. My pony grows tons of winter coat and maintains a perfect weight on grass hay, with a tiny bit of alfalfa, and a handful of supplement pellets in the morning. I also don’t worry about her fitting in stalls and I can trailer her in any size trailer. I’ve even got a bunch of my nicer tack on sale since 18” girths, 66” blankets, and small saddle pads and quarter sheets don’t sell as well so often I find fancy stuff on clearance

Plus she’s pretty darn talented and athletic. She’s solidly at First level and probably would be at Second if I hadn’t pretty much taken this past summer off. We’ve shown once at First, in the rain, and she had to ride through rain puddles for the first time ever. Other than trying to leap over one that was in the middle of our canter lengthening she didn’t put a foot wrong and we scored 63%+
                                      My little girl, Katai - 13.2 Haflinger/Unicorn
                                      and her blog

"Ponies are the new black. Welcome to the darkside!" - Manahmanah

Comment

• Original Poster

Ran across a lovely 2yr old Welsh Cob who is 13.3 as a 2 coming 3 year old. His mother is 13.1 and the father, Top Hat Beau, is 15.1. Owner thinks he will likely finish at 14.2-ish as the Welsh Cobs mature late. Any thoughts? Really nice mover.

Also found an adorable weanling 3/4 Arabian 1/4 Quarter Horse who is put together rather nicely and is super reasonable.

Comment

I'm so glad DMK jumped in with info about her amazing Fjord. They are the best! When I worked at a therapeutic riding center, they had approx 20 horses and 5 or 6 of them were Fjords. Of course that's a biased sample since they were all therapy horses but I would have taken each one of them home with me. I got to ride some of them and they were hard workers who genuinely wanted to please. My favorite thing about them was that they responded beautifully when asked correctly but they weren't stupid about incorrect aids (they were therapy horses after all). Wonderful, wonderful animals. They can have an attitude but nowhere near the stubbornness of the Haffies I've known (also therapy horses).

Can't go wrong with a little QH either

And you can't mention dressage ponies without bringing up Cardi: http://www.eqequestrian.com/cardi.html
                                          Last edited by equinelibrium; Dec. 6, 2018, 05:13 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                          X