• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Carl Hester - British Team rider?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Hester - British Team rider?

Is anyone familiar with this rider?

Have you seen him teach? If so, what do you think?

Feel free to PM me.

Magnum
    "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

Send a PM to Sabine on this board. She is a friend of his and regularly takes clinics with him.

Comment

He's good, don't miss the opportunity if you have it. Go.

Comment

He is gods gift to horses and a nice person to boot.

Phenominal rider and trainer, and if you have the opportunity to spend even a second in his world - DO IT!!!!!

Honestly, he is incredible!!!!!

Comment

Ahhh CLC....... Cute Little Carl.....

Yes, Im one of his bigget fans!

But seriously, I had read his books and bought his CD. I love his theory and this way of training. Id love to work with him. Sabine has offered me to come in her direction many times when he is here, but I cant get away from the farm or kids right now to go that far.

Owell, CLC will have to wait.
          www.spindletopfarm.net
          Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
          "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Comment

Ah, our Carl-ina!! He is an incredibly nice guy...great sense of humour...and a GREAT trainer. You would be foolish to pass up the opportunity to ride with him...if you cannot go and audit.

Comment

I worship Carl - he is a god of all that is dressage! Genuinely nice guy and talented rider - what more could you ask for? I've seen him compete, as well as attend a clinic of his *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by nzfraggle View Post
                I worship Carl - he is a god of all that is dressage! Genuinely nice guy and talented rider - what more could you ask for? I've seen him compete, as well as attend a clinic of his *sigh*
                Oh- so you were at his clinic last October 2006? yeah- he came from there to us...

I don't call him Carlina- and yes I know him well. He doesn't deserve that name...
                Magnum- what's your question? Are you planning on going to the UK to ride with him? Are you having him come to the US?

I think asking opinions about a clinician is very so,so. Many times you can easily and quickly find out that a clincian in consideration might not be good for your program, othertimes it just a he said, she said.

Carl is different. I have been spoiled all my life with very good german teaching, SRS teaching and exposure/participation in the german dressage life.
                When I met Carl- I learned a different dimension. Dressage has to be joyous and fun and forward and daring. These concepts were never so clearly revealed to me until then.

As many of you know- Carl has several books out that are great to read and easy to understand. He also has a couple of really great teaching videos that can be ordered through Amazon- they were published in the UK and are mainly taking from 'Masterclass' style evenings that are very popular in the UK. He shows how he has taken relatively regular horses and trained them to be dressage horses.

What makes him different? He has a great education, intelligence and whit- he speaks very perfect British - which is easy to understand and fun and memorable to listen to. He is kind and not demeaning ever- but not a softie or pushover ever...he is a lot of fun to be around and has amazing skills of riding well and skilled.

I wish we could adopt him permanently in the US- as I feel that he would have no shortage of generous sponsors and could really showcase good, tactful riding.
                "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Comment

top rider

Carl is one of the world's best riders and trainers, period.
                  His idea of dressage is effective, practical and very understandable.
                  All of Sabine's comments are right on the mark. He is a super nice guy on top of it!
                  If you have the chance to work with him take it without delay!
                  It would be great if he ever moved to the US, but he's got his own place in the UK and a healthy pool of talented and wealthy clients that adore him!

Comment

Why don't you consider

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                    Oh- so you were at his clinic last October 2006? yeah- he came from there to us...

I don't call him Carlina- and yes I know him well. He doesn't deserve that name...
                    Magnum- what's your question? Are you planning on going to the UK to ride with him? Are you having him come to the US?

I think asking opinions about a clinician is very so,so. Many times you can easily and quickly find out that a clincian in consideration might not be good for your program, othertimes it just a he said, she said.

Carl is different. I have been spoiled all my life with very good german teaching, SRS teaching and exposure/participation in the german dressage life.
                    When I met Carl- I learned a different dimension. Dressage has to be joyous and fun and forward and daring. These concepts were never so clearly revealed to me until then.

As many of you know- Carl has several books out that are great to read and easy to understand. He also has a couple of really great teaching videos that can be ordered through Amazon- they were published in the UK and are mainly taking from 'Masterclass' style evenings that are very popular in the UK. He shows how he has taken relatively regular horses and trained them to be dressage horses.

What makes him different? He has a great education, intelligence and whit- he speaks very perfect British - which is easy to understand and fun and memorable to listen to. He is kind and not demeaning ever- but not a softie or pushover ever...he is a lot of fun to be around and has amazing skills of riding well and skilled.

I wish we could adopt him permanently in the US- as I feel that he would have no shortage of generous sponsors and could really showcase good, tactful riding.
                    This says it all, and I really think that Carl would be the best possible choice for the new national coach of the USA. WHY.. Carl speaks very good English, he is the bridge between classical and modern dressage, a gentleman "pür sang", and he has charisma.

Comment

Not that it is ever going to happen, but I second and third the idea of Carl being next coach!

wait...I'm dreaming for a moment....

ahhhhhhhhhh!

OK, back to reality.

(and this is certainly not a dis at KB...but no one lasts forever, and no one enjoys the job forever. Just taking a moment to step into the future and dream.)
                      one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

We have a group in the midwest who may be interested in bringing him over for clinics. I also go to England periodicially.

I looked up a YOU TUBE video of him on Escaparado before the horse was sold. HOT HORSE and he partners well with the horse. There was some tension in the video, but Carl had stated in another article how much this horse HATES musicals, so that explains that. .... plus a lot to be said for how WELL he handled the tension. You could see that the horse wanted to explode but INSTEAD CHOSE to work with Carl.

I read the New Zealand article on him where he talked about that horse extensively. It is also good that he likes to work with the HOT horses, because that is what I have. He also looks like a light rider and very tactful.

(On a side note, he also got points with me be stating that his best choice to ride is a "Ferro geldings because of their hind leg action and sensitivity." ... Well ... I have one now and it would be great to find someone who knows this line that well.

Thanks for all the comments.

Magnum
                        "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

Comment

Correction

Originally posted by magnum View Post
                          We have a group in the midwest who may be interested in bringing him over for clinics. I also go to England periodicially.

I looked up a YOU TUBE video of him on Escaparado before the horse was sold. HOT HORSE and he partners well with the horse. There was some tension in the video, but Carl had stated in another article how much this horse HATES musicals, so that explains that. .... plus a lot to be said for how WELL he handled the tension. You could see that the horse wanted to explode but INSTEAD CHOSE to work with Carl.

I read the New Zealand article on him where he talked about that horse extensively. It is also good that he likes to work with the HOT horses, because that is what I have. He also looks like a light rider and very tactful.

(On a side note, he also got points with me be stating that his best choice to ride is a "Ferro geldings because of their hind leg action and sensitivity." ... Well ... I have one now and it would be great to find someone who knows this line that well.

Thanks for all the comments.

Magnum
                          Correction please :

Carl, like many other topriders hate the freestyle to music, because the FTM doesn't allow time for correction.

Comprende

Comment

Carl Hester is a fabulous rider - you could put him on a skateboard with a tail and he would get it to GP.

Seen some of his masterclasses and would love to have a lesson with him, as possibly would every dressage rider in the UK!

His sense of humour is very dry and his clincs a pleasure to watch.

If you have the chance of a lesson with him or Spencer then grab it with both hands.

Paddy
                            Last edited by PaddyUK; Dec. 29, 2007, 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
                            "Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done"

~Member of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~

Comment

carl is excellent trianer
                              and he does the kick and click method if the horse is lazy or to sharp as i do
                              so i know exactly how to ride with him if i ever got the chance
                              he often writes for your horse or horse and rider uk mags

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                                Yup, and just about froze to death in the process Very unpleasant conditions. However, Carl is worth it (drove 7hrs each way to see him!!).

I like the fact that he actually likes his horses and lets them be horses *thumbsup*

Comment

New Zealand H&P Article & Bio on Carl Hester

DOWN TO EARTH
                                  Leading British dressage rider, trainer and author Carl Hester made quite an impression on his recent New Zealand visit, as Helen Firth reports. ......
                                  http://www.horse-pony.co.nz/archive/2006/dec06-1.html

Comment

Originally posted by nzfraggle View Post
                                    Yup, and just about froze to death in the process Very unpleasant conditions. However, Carl is worth it (drove 7hrs each way to see him!!).

I like the fact that he actually likes his horses and lets them be horses *thumbsup*
                                    I know- it must have been an exhausting trip for him- he was just 'hangin loose' here- in a circle of friends from the last clinic- but his training remained fabbo- we all were energized and upbeat and determined to make a go off it afterwards....until the next time...
                                    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Comment

Yeah right. Because everyone else hates them and makes them pretend to be hamsters.

Comment

Ive seen so many trainers (not just dressage, I mean all trainers) and there are two who stick in my head as being 100% horse lovers in every sense of the word. One is Carl, the other is Vaughn jefferis ... who incidentally is a close friend of Carls.

I think also because Carl makes the whole learning a fun thing, and has a sense of humour, the whole atmosphere in one of his clinics seems to be just ...welll...different?

He is definitely in a class of his own from what I have seen.

I was a show groom in the UK at the first Dressage at Hickstead in the early 90's and stayed with his friends/owners. I had never heard of him before and thought he was hot hot hot...lol..then found out he played for the other team and I remember being absolutely gutted haha.

Comment

Working...
                                        X