• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do you dressage riders get your horses broke in the face?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think what h&t is describing is the western equivalent of rollkur.
    I used to board at a WP barn and have seen it practiced, I personally am not a fan since most western horses travel behind the verticle evading the bit rather than accepting contact.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Well, I'm not trying to defend Hoof here, but I think some people are getting up in arms over the term "broke in the face" without considering what that means and getting emotional about it. We often say a horse is "broke" to ride or "green broke" and nobody (well, at least people I know) don't get upset over the term or consider it barbaric. I consider "broke in the face" simply another discipline's term for getting the horse to yield to the bit and "keep their head down." It doesn't necessarily mean that this term equates bad horsemanship or use of cruel methods - although it very well could be. Forget how the individual words are put together and evaluate the term based on what it means (and not what picture it conjures up in your head.)
      Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Comment

I think some people are getting up in arms over the term "broke in the face" without considering what that means and getting emotional about it.
        I think H&T described what she meant very well. It seems, from her mouth, that 'grabbing' a horse's face and pulling it around, or tying it down, or tying it to the side is a style of discipline meant to teach a horse a lesson about behaviour, and about headset. You can re-word it, if you like, but I think H&T's words should speak for themselves, and are not at all as simplistic or thoughtful as you have re-interpreted it. Tieing a horse's head around isn't what you are describing, and she knows this.
        Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Originally posted by slc2 View Post
          Dressage people who have any understanding of dressage at all, don't use ANYTHING to 'get the horse on the bit'.

Nothing. Nada. Not side reins, draw reins, martingales, nothing.

I respect and agree with pretty much everything you said, but this statement is just way over the top. You can't just throw such a broad and over-generalized statement like that out there that is obviously SO untrue and not get some backlash. I know dozens of top dressage riders in several different countries that use these things (side reins, long reins, draw reins, martingales, etc) with great success. If you use these things as training tools then it doesn't make you less of a dressage rider. If you use these things to achieve or force a certain frame, then you are probably using them incorrectly. Using these things is not inherently incorrect dressage riding but how one uses them can make a difference.
          Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
            i think what h&t is describing is the western equivalent of rollkur.
            I used to board at a WP barn and have seen it practiced, I personally am not a fan since most western horses travel behind the verticle evading the bit rather than accepting contact.

You summed it up much better than I could. I do have personal experience with horses trained using the techniques she describes. All were afraid of the bit and resented being asked to flex or yield. Frankly, I now use those techniques as a measure of 'trainers'--those who practice it are automatically off my list.
            ---------------------------

Comment

Dressage people who have any understanding of dressage at all, don't use ANYTHING to 'get the horse on the bit'.

Nothing. Nada. Not side reins, draw reins, martingales, nothing.
              I guess Klimke was not a dressage person. Side reins/surcingle is a useful tool for training a horse to seek the bit (back to front). It's only a problem if used incorrectly (to tie the head down, to force the horse onto the bit, if used front to back).

Slc uses nothing to get her horse on the bit. No tack, no aids? Youtube is waiting for this miracle .

Comment

Here's a novel idea. Why don't you do what your friends are doing and take lessons too? That way, you will learn what to do and why we do it. You will learn that "on the bit" is not about the horse's head, but about engagement from behind. It doesn't happen overnight. Tying your horse's head down never achieves anything except a tense and sometimes pissed off horse. It only teaches them to resent you.

If you resented someone, would you want to put forth your best effort to please them? Think about it.

Comment

"broke in the face" is western jargon
                  "on the bit" is dressage jargon.

If your dressage horse was truly "on" the bit, he'd pull you over his head.
                  The jargon means submissive and attentive to the aides while in self carriage.

"Broke in the face" is exactly that. In western equitation, ideally the aides are as light as possible, so as to be practically invisible. In western pleasure, the horse is expected to carry himself and be very obedient and appear effortless. Sound familiar to some dressage riders?

The way of going may be somewhat different, but the terms are equivalent, if highly idiosyncratic.

Those who truly understand dressage by having ridden and trained it, will know there are many many ways to achieve this. There is a tried and true method of achieving it through classical training scales. However, even the most classical trainers will sometimes recommend the use of side reins, long reins, surcingles and longeing.
                  "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Place the bit on the floor.
                    Place horse on top.

Voy la - horse on the bit.

That should suffice for you!
                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

With my youngsters, I don't worry too much about where their head is, and I certainly do not do anything to force it into place. My primary focus is on getting them forward and relaxed. Once you have got them forward and supple through the back, they tend to naturally want to be round through the topline. The goal is to get them where they are carrying themselves and respond to the lightest of aids.
                      Amen Vern!!!
                      www.spindletopfarm.net
                      Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
                      "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Comment

"on the bit" is dressage jargon.
                        I LOATH that term......... if its ever used around here, someone gets a smack in the back of the head.
                        www.spindletopfarm.net
                        Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
                        "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Comment

'on the aids ' is a better description

Comment

The thread where this "debate" started:
                            http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=127448

"Broke in the face" is indeed a Western term. Those who said the difference between Western ridden horses and Dressage ridden horses was right - the amount of contact on the D horse would pull a W rider over his head.

It IS desirable for the Western horse to be so "broke" in his face that he needs milligrams of pressure from a looped rein to to what he's asked, and most of his cues come purely from seat aids, nothing else. To have a Dressage horse like that would mean a lot of dressage couldn't be done in the manner in which it's required. Western folks think their horses are impulsive and engaged and carrying themselves, and the REALLY good ones can be. But the degree to which they are is NOTHING like what's required of upper level Dressage horses, and that higher degree requires more contact. Dressage horses are soft in the jaw, not "broke in the face". They accept the contact required and don't pull against it.

Now, that all said, I'll stand by what most folks on the other thread said - no, you don't "grab the horse's face" with side lines and tie his head to the saddle or between his legs and work him until he submits. I don't care if it's Western or English riding, I don't care who does it, it's not the best thing to do.

Comment

If getting my horse "broke in the face" was my objective, it seems like the best way to go about it would be to whack it across the forehead with a two by four. The harder you whack, the broker it gets. Voila.

I disagree with the people who say that people who know what they are doing NEVER ride in side reins and the like, as I have seen skilled riders on both sides of the Atlantic ride in them, and I regularly see professional bereiters use them here in Germany. However, the key point here is that these pros REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. For someone who is just learning, use of these artificial aids will obscure the feel. You need the feel first, THEN after a lot of practice you can use feel first and the artificial aids second to tweak small aspects of your overall ride. I would certainly not use artificial aids without the supervision of a professional if I were the OP.

For the OP, there's really nothing anyone can type in a box that will teach you this. If you really want to learn, save up some cash for lessons, and post a post asking about good trainers in your area.
                              The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                              Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                              Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                              The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

((We often say a horse is "broke" to ride or "green broke" and nobody (well, at least people I know) don't get upset over the term or consider it barbaric.))
                                There is nothing to be upset about here.

Broke in the face is a whole 'nother story.
                                Sic em, Charlie!

Comment

If getting my horse "broke in the face" was my objective, it seems like the best way to go about it would be to whack it across the forehead with a two by four. The harder you whack, the broker it gets. Voila.

Is that how Arabs get dishy faces??

Comment

Originally posted by Auventura
                                    I have never heard the term "broke in the face" before, and I grew up with QHs.
                                    I probably wouldn't advertise that.

I liked Equibrit's definition of "On the bit".
                                    There's an old Booger cartoonist named LaVieEnBoog who would do a smashing cartoon of that if she lurks here.
                                    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

needing to get a horse broke in the face.
                                      Could you possibly be talking about getting a horse used to the bit?

And tying the horses head to the saddle or it's tail (a WP thing) does not result in a "give to the bit". All you are doing with that technique is exhausting the neck, kinda like roll-kur.
                                      *** 4 More Years ***
                                      *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

((Is that how Arabs get dishy faces??))

Please tell me your joking...
                                        Sic em, Charlie!

Comment

Unfortunately,if you take the OP seriously, you are in grave danger of creating a monster.
                                          ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Working...
                                          X