• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Spin-Off - Geometry And Tips For Better Test Riding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin-Off - Geometry And Tips For Better Test Riding

Spin off on the "apology" post, because I think there are some good concepts worth talking about without the snark toward riders... I judge schooling shows, and scribe a lot at rated shows, AND I compete - totally get it when the power steering goes out at the show. Its happened to me more then once. But a few tips that I think CAN help some riders, and would love to hear other tips too... I love seeing accurate tests - but I'll admit as a rider, sometimes I screw up geometry, and sometimes the horse is just not quite with me...

Shallow serpentine - remember to go all the way to X - whether it is a trot or canter shallow loop, it is basically a curve through the first corner (don't go too deep into the corner especially for the Training Level serpentine, as it often disrupts the flow of the movement), then remember to go to X, then a curve softly through the last corner . I see a lot of people that don't make it to X - especially in the First Level counter canter movement. And remember to change bend in the trot serpentines, that is part of the score... This is a super common area where we all lose points - make it to X, pay attention to proper bend.

Full 3 loop serpentines - are basically a composite of 3 half-20 meter circles. No slanting lines across the school (and I'll admit, I've done it before - and lost valuable points). Pay attention to the 20 meter circle size so your serpentine is equal - wow the judges with that geometry. This movement is required at the CANTER in 2nd level, and is a pretty tough movement if your horse isn't well balanced in the counter canter.

Circles on the short sides - circles don't have corners. So as you are approaching A (or C), ride into the corner before A, then start your circle - and remember that last 1/4 of the circle does NOT go into the corner - see that often in the stretchy circles, and judges do mark it down. Finish the circle, then go into the corner AFTER A to really emphasize how well you rode that circle, and are now riding a corner. It will impress the judge!.

Speaking of stretchy circles - the goal is to stretch to contact - do not throw away the contact. Loose reins lose points. This is not a free walk (where loose reins are a good thing), this is a stretch to contact. Ideally, the horse should stretch its nose somewhere between the point of the shoulder and the knee - while keeping the wither up (I know, in the ideal world), and maintaining the tempo (not speeding up or slowing down). The horse should stretch down and out, not curled, and not just out. This is a HARD movement and a real test of training and acceptance of contact! BTW - if your horse is going to charge off with a longer rein (ahem, yes, I have been there), then ride for safety - it is one movement, take a lower score, stay on and in control...

Know the placement of 10, 15, and 20 meter circles - this seems like an obvious thing, but it really isn't! And a horse's natural inclination when it gets "out in the open" (away from the court rail) is going to be fall out, make it bigger. Which is why we do see many ovals instead of circles. And remember, circles have no straight lines - so if you have just spent 3 or 4 strides on the long side in your circle - it isn't a circle. Touch a point, curve off, touch the next point, curve off. Horses are attracted to the rail, so we have to help them come off the rail properly.

Then - bend... The dreaded bend! Its a show, its stressful - the horse wants to see what is going on OUTSIDE of the court - which = counterbend. Meanwhile, we human beings spent hundreds of thousands of years developing our HANDS as our primary tool, so our instinct is to pull the horse's head to the inside - which = loss of control of the shoulder. Overbent in the neck does not gain points either. Overbent necks in circles, in corners, in shoulder in - are all very common, and are a very natural result of our natural instincts - when in doubt - use your hands! Unfortunately that instinct is not correct in dressage. Everytime you THINK hand, go to leg...

Leg yield - the two things I see most often are just a shallow diagonal line with no crossing of the hind legs, or a horse very overbent, with the shoulder falling sideways. Another common theme (my Pony does this) is going sideways without going forward (kind of the "full pass"),, and then there is simply not going forward - slowing down when the work gets hard. Practice at home, be aware of what your horse's tendancy is, and ride accordingly.

Anyone have anything to add? I think little tips on geometry are super helpful for a better test! And remember, not only does it help the scores on the individual movements, there is a component of the Rider Score that addresses accuracy...
    Last edited by MysticOakRanch; Jun. 20, 2018, 09:39 AM.

Informative post, and constructive. Good thread idea.

Ride the horse forward! I see a lot of "choked back" horses. I see a lot of spooking or shenanigans that perhaps could be prevented or lessened if the horse was behind the leg or just had more impulsion.

Comment

Don't know if it carries over to all judges, but I have worked with some judges who say that if a test calls for a movement between letters (e.g. T1: "between B&M, Working trot"), try to execute the movement so the transition happens mid-way between the letters (not when you are passing B or M).

Comment

Janet Foy posted something in the last year or so with tips to not throw away points.

One that I particularly liked, in addition to many MOR already shared, was for tests where you do shoulder-in on the long side, make sure to straighten before turning the corner. Believe me, that ups the level of difficulty and is rewarded.

In tests where there are TOH or walk piros between H and M, try to space them evenly.

If doing changes on the diagonal, try to center them over X. In the PSG, the way I do this is that I know how many canter strides it takes for my horse to cross the diagonal (22). For 4s, from the first change to the last it's 16 strides so I have 6 left over (3 on each end) so I come around the corner and go 1,2,ask for the change on the 3rd stride. For 3s, from the first change to the last it's 12 strides, so I have 10 left over (5 on each end) so I ask for the first change on the 5th stride from the corner.

Of course, I need to ride a straight line and we need to maintain the same stride length etc, but at least I have a plan!

Comment

For your shallow loops - aim the first half of the loop towards E or B or just past it, that way you'll hit the centerline just before X, and be changing your bend over X.

For 3 loop serpentines, ride portions of 20 m circles - don't ride into the first or last corners.

If you only have one judge and your back is to the judge, they generally can't see the horse's head so that's a good time to fix something.

Comment

thanks MysticOakRanch I printed out your helpful post to keep handy. I think I need to get "Every time you THINK hand, go to leg" on a note card and permanently affix it to my bridle crownpiece between my horse's ears LOL

Comment

One of the things I was taught many years ago that seemed absolutely mystical at the time (but is now a bit of a "duh" moment): for turning down (centre line especially, but even applicable to quarter lines on horses that can be unreliable with steering/diving out through their shoulders)- undershoot your turn deliberately. For the half 10m circle to turn down centre line, set yourself up to make a 9m circle (and change). That way, you can "straighten" out of your turn and have room to settle right on the line of travel (instead of completing your turn, possibly have lost your horse's shoulders and possibly have overshot centerline already). It's a little precision thing that I found being mindful of really helped me with how I rode those lines and turns.

(For clarification: you do end up on centreline this way. Not advocating riding to be short of it! But giving yourself this space to straighten after your turn (possibly with a bit of a leg yield or shoulder fore) can help you maintain your correct bend, keep control of shoulders, and not overshoot your turn. If you're going A-X to end your test for example, you should already be on centerline at D or maybe just a little past it. You don't loiter off-centre.)

Comment

Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
                Shallow serpentines - remember to go all the way to X - whether it is a trot or canter shallow loop, it is basically a curve through the first corner (don't go deep into the corner, this isn't a corner, it is the first phase of the serpentine), then remember to go to X, then a curve through the last corner (again, don't ride it as a corner, it is the final phase of the serpentine). I see a lot of people that don't make it to X - especially in the First Level counter canter movement. And remember to change bend in the trot serpentines, that is part of the score... This is a super common area where we all lose points - make it to X, pay attention to proper bend.
                What?! I never knew that this was how this figure was supposed to be ridden, even after riding and watching and scribing for plenty of first level tests. Glad to be made aware of my utter geometric oblivion in a kind post and not a snark-fest.

The "K-X-H One loop maintaining the right lead" type instruction in 1st level has always made me think the movement starts when you leave the rail and ends when you return to it, meaning the corners before and after are normal corners. An actual serpentine seems more elegant...
                Evolutionary science by day; keeping a certain red mare from winning a Darwin award the rest of the time!

Comment

When cantering the shallow loops maintain the correct flexion throughout. Right lead should carry rt flexion through the whole movement - changing flexion can result in the horse changing leads front or back.
                  Count to 3 in a halt before a rein back or the one in the middle of the first level test.
                  Don't salute with the whip holding hand.
                  Enter 'inside' the A marker - it is easier to yield to the center line than steer over to it.
                  If you are in a TOC class or are the first one in the class, announce yourself - hi im number 3 in first level test 1. The scribe will appreciate it.
                  www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

It is your body that hits the letter not the ears or the tail of the horse.

In Aus we do not call in a shallow serpentine it is called a loop.

I have been taught for 3 loop serpentines that you go straight over the centre line, parallel to the short sides. This is where you change your bend and your flexion.
                    It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Really good tips! At the risk of some thinking I'm being snarky (I'm not), think energy in all gaits, especially the walk at lower levels.

Comment

Releasing a bit as you transition into the walk, particularly lower levels where it's a trot to medium walk transition, helps ensure you don't get jigging from horse or rider nerves, and have a far better walk rhythm. I have gotten more 8s on that than any other movement.

When we were doing those trot loops in training level, we were still taking diagonals fairly gradually as she was not making any sharp turns. My trainer had me think of it as turning to ride across the diagonal, then changing my mind around the quarter line - and just giving it a big curve to head back toward the other corner. If that first change of direction happens as nonchalantly as a change of mind and therefore change of direction, the second change of direction always came easily.

Post. So many times when I scribe judges comment positively when exceptionally good pros are posting, that they love seeing even such good riders posting if that's what is best for the horse's gaits. That said, my mare gets behind the leg when tense if I am not sitting and communicating to her constantly, so at the lower levels I still sat most of the time. Know your horse.
                        If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                        -meupatdoes

Comment

I do think nerves get in the way and rider's rush through their tests. There are a few tests that I judge that specify halting for 3 seconds or 4 seconds but people barely stop before proceeding (or the halt at X...it is supposed to be 3 seconds of immobility), but not because their horse was anxious, but because they seemed to be in a rush to get to the next move. They would also forget to shorten their strides before cantering from walk or doing their turn on the haunches, even though that is part of what is required. I really think it is just that they are so focused on the main movement, that they forget the set up, OR that they haven't really read the details of the directives to know exactly what is being judged.

Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by netg View Post

Post. So many times when I scribe judges comment positively when exceptionally good pros are posting, that they love seeing even such good riders posting if that's what is best for the horse's gaits. That said, my mare gets behind the leg when tense if I am not sitting and communicating to her constantly, so at the lower levels I still sat most of the time. Know your horse.
                            I scribe rated eventing dressage, but what I see still applies

The above re: posting. Every event we have riders sitting who should most definitely not be sitting - they are creating rhythm issues. In Canada, we don't have to post until after Prelim now so there's not usually any reason to be sitting (I realize there are times such as described above, but many of the amateur riders we see are not helping by sitting). We do have pros who have lovely seats and can sit but choose to post - I know the judges appreciate it!

Enter the ring with purpose. March down centre line. It will help you stay straighter too I got to scribe my first 10 last month for a beautiful entry down CL.

Free walk - don't push with your seat, or you're asking for a jog.

Lengthening of stride (not extension) - allow with your hands so that the horse can lengthen its frame as well. I write many comments for this where the horse is being restricted by the hand.

Prepare for your transitions and use your seat. I also get to write "more prep" quite a bit.

When you're riding around the outside of the ring, please make sure the scribe can see your number, or tell him/her when you go by. Nothing like a rider going around and around with their number on the side the scribe can't see so you're not entirely sure who's actually coming in the ring!
                            I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

Good thread. I would add to remind the rider to LOOK UP and spot their areas they need to hit in the arena. The rider should know approximately where a 20m,, 15m, 10m circle is for the tests they are riding, where the lateral work starts and stops, and should look up to spot themselves and their horse in the arena. So many riders, especially at the lower levels, look down.
                              Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

I learned something valuable during my last show weekend. My horse, not new to showing but new to dressage, had so much tension that boiled over to becoming quite evasive, and his evasion of choice was also brand new material I'd not experienced even at home. I've never really had to deal with something like that in a test, and quite frankly, wasn't prepared. So what I did was just try to manage getting him through the movements as best I could, evasions and all. The first test was icky and how I handled it made the second test later in the day even worse, and he escalated into evading even more. That got us a 58% and a 55%, which to be honest felt pretty generous.

Luckily my trainer was there, who is also a judge, was able to help me school through it the next day (2 shows spanning 4 days), but also gave me a bit of a strategy talk about correcting his evasion in the first movement of the test that he does it, take the error, and move on. If it continues to go to pot, either excuse yourself or get eliminated.

Seems silly but I had to build in this strategy into my test riding repertoire. Sure enough, the next day of showing, around the arena we go, all is well, so down the centerline, things start to feel a little tense, but manageable - get to C and turn left for our first trot loop, and my gelding does his dance party move- so I simply turned him in a circle/turn on forehand, got my bend back and off we went doing our loop. That seemed to get his head back in the game to get through the test- with tension but manageable and we got a 65%. I'll take it.

The other valuable thing I learned is to know what your horse needs BEFORE you go into the test. Turns out, right now, this horse is far better if he goes down the centerline cold. Too much warm up builds his tension vs releases it. My job is to figure out the balance there- seems like a long walk on a loose rein and then some trot, transitions with establishing bend is all I can do before going in. 15-20 min walk, 5-6 min trot, that's it. Perhaps that'll change as he gains more experience and confidence but it is what it is and lesson learned.

So, know your horse, and also know how to handle things if they go to crap. LOL.
                                My blog: Change of Pace - Retraining a standardbred via dressage

Comment

Let's talk corners. Oh corners. Practice coming out of the corner and checking that your horse's body is straight. A lot of times I see horses come out of the corner with their hip still slightly inward. A little leg pressure should straighten them out, so it's good to get in the habit of doing that after every corner. It won't cause too many problems in the lower levels, but trying to get a shoulder in or half pass with the horse already crooked is just really tough (and I say this from personal experience as this has been my homework - wish I'd trained myself to do this earlier!).

When cantering corners, also, you can get a few more strides to get yourself straight and ready for the movement if you can almost think partial pirouette in the corner then forward coming out. It helps get the horse collected then back on the leg. Again, not critical in the lower levels, but when movements come up faster, it reallllly helps to get those few extra strides to prepare.

Comment

• Original Poster

Another thing that is SO hard to remember. Every movement is scored separately. So if you screw up one (or two, or a few), you can still redeem the rest of the test - don't panic!!!! I know it is SO hard to remember this, but one or two movements won't hurt you too badly. And if you panic, your horse is going to worry too. Did you know, you can get a 3 on a movement and still get 70%!?

And don't make an issue into a bigger issue. Here is an example - first time I showed my Pony - he was SO worried about the judge's booth. We had that enter, halt at X - OMG, WHAT IS THAT MONSTER moment. So, we didn't make it all the way to C - I got him as far as I could in not-so-straight line, then curved off - you could say we cut the corner quite a bit I patted him, and continued the test - all was good on the A side of the court. Then back we had to go toward C again - patted, and got him a bit closer. Every time around, we got a bit closer. My test scores had a pattern - 5, 3, 6, 8, 7, 5, 4, 6, 8, 5, 6, and so on. But every time, we got a bit closer, and by the end of the test, he was going along the rail, with just a slight hairy eyeball. The judge wrote "great riding, very tactful, and your pony's confidence improved so much". We won the next class - the judge's stand was no longer an issue. And we actually got a 3rd in the first class - because the movements on one side of the arena were 7s and 8s, and the other side of the arena got better throughout the test.

This is just one example - help your horse succeed. It will pay off. And don't panic about a bad movement, make the next movement good!

What do they say about public speaking - envision your audience naked? Envision the judge asking you what you'd like to eat and drink today - something relaxing and non-threatening...

Comment

Stop thinking about the judges as spiders in their lairs waiting to catch unsuspecting riders in a mistake.
                                      We really, really want to see you do well. I hate to give a 3 or less. I love to give a 10 when warranted. I am on your side. That being said, I am bound by the requirements of the test. It does you no favors for me to give high scores if they are not earned. Next week you might do the same quality test and score much lower - then who is the bad guy?

www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

Know which movements have coefficients and make sure those are as perfect as possible at home! I once got a 9 on a coefficient movement, and boy did that help my score!

(Similarly, you have two centerline-halts. Might as well make those perfect, since they are counted twice!).

Comment

Working...
                                        X