• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do dressage riders consider "Regumate" a bad word?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do dressage riders consider "Regumate" a bad word?

Just curious after a brief discussion on the horse care board. I mentioned that a mare we are selling is on regumate, which seems to turn a lot of people off. Another person was surprised by this and said most people she sells to expect mares to be on it. However, she deals mostly in the hunter world (I think) while this horse is being aimed at the dressage market. So, is it a bad word to dressage riders, or have I just run into a batch that don't quite understand regumate?
    Amanda

Probably because up until recently they couldn't be on Regumate for competitions. The FEI rules changed this year to permit it and I know that British Dressage (the UK federation) has changed their rules to come into line with the FEI.

Comment

If it were me looking for a horse and you said she was on regumate, here's what I'd think:
      1. She's very mareish
      2. Regumate is expensive - now I either have to deal with a high maintenance horse ($1200/year in regumate before I even consider the normal costs of feeding, training, showing her) or get her spayed ($1400-2500). Do I want to take on the added expense?
      3. Can I find an equally nice horse who does not have these issues?

So, I can understand why you are getting some looks when you mention it.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by snbess View Post
        If it were me looking for a horse and you said she was on regumate, here's what I'd think:
        1. She's very mareish
        2. Regumate is expensive - now I either have to deal with a high maintenance horse ($1200/year in regumate before I even consider the normal costs of feeding, training, showing her) or get her spayed ($1400-2500). Do I want to take on the added expense?
        3. Can I find an equally nice horse who does not have these issues?

So, I can understand why you are getting some looks when you mention it.

Sandra
        Yes!
        Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
        Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Originally posted by mbm
        forward is like love - you can never have enough

Comment

Regumate is also EXTREMELY dangerous to handle. Many people take it very lightly, and it should not be taken lightly at all. I have used it for quite a few years for timing mares for breeding... have had two accidents/spills in that time, and despite washing the area right away, PAID for it big time.

And while this sounds like Urban Myth, I also *personally* know someone who was very ill and died, and while it cannot be proven, the link to the spill (as in the exact area on her breast!) on her shirt which was worn all day, and the cancer cannot be ignored. Yes, she definitely could have already had something going on and the drug exacerbated it. Absolutely. The coincidence is really too much to bear though.

So while the above posts are really accurate re: marey, cost etc., you really, really have to factor in the handling issue as well. Some boarding facilities don't want to handle it, especially daily. (young girls doing chores/feeding) It's not even safe for men to handle! They can react too to contact!

Having said all that, it certainly has it's uses. But I would spay a mare who 'needed' it continually. And look into the many other options (raspberry leaf, magnesium etc.). The thing is, it *appears* so easy to use. People really get a false sense of security. It is incredibly potent and for me, not worth the risk of 'daily' use. For a couple of weeks in breeding season, absolutely. But not every day of the year.
          InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

raspberry leaf, magnesium etc
            hmmm interesting off track comment, but I have a mare who is much more mare-ish in the winter, and steady eady all spring summer and fall. She LOVES to browse on the wild blackberry leaves when they are around- they are often the only vegetation in fall and spring that she can reach. I wonder if it has anything to do with it. Right now she has been a witch!
            As for the regumate- ditto what bess said. any sort of required supplement turns me off a bit in a sale, but that one is hard to handle.
            "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Comment

Nope, don't consider it a bad word at all. Most of it depends on the reason the mare is on the Regumate though. As far as administering it.... that's why we buy the paste form now, not liquid. Safer and easier AND less expensive! As far as using it.... even if the mare is horrible, I don't use it continuously every day all year. All mares I have had on it get taken off during the off season when I'm not showing.
              *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
              My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Comment

The mares that I've known that needed to be on it were witchy and give the nice mares a bad name. The thing about a witchy/touchy/sensitive/tense mare and dressage is that it is difficult to get this type of mare to let you ride in it the way you need to in order to progress up the levels. A lot of times this kind of mare is very happy to go around in more of a huntery way and jump but is NOT happy to be ridden the way that a dressage horse should go. And, of course, I don't like handling the stuff the less mess/chemicals the better.

Comment

i wonder if some of the 'witchy' mares that 'need regumate' have some underlying condition that could be treated specifically. i had a friend whose mare was awful - she couldn't afford regumate so the mare was not put on it, but what it turned out was that the mare had cystic ovaries. her riding friends wanted the girl to cough up the money for regumate, and actually the mare had a health problem that needed treating.

Comment

Originally posted by slc2 View Post
                    i wonder if some of the 'witchy' mares that 'need regumate' have some underlying condition that could be treated specifically. i had a friend whose mare was awful - she couldn't afford regumate so the mare was not put on it, but what it turned out was that the mare had cystic ovaries. her riding friends wanted the girl to cough up the money for regumate, and actually the mare had a health problem that needed treating.

Of course that is always a possibility. In the case of a couple of the mares that I can think of right off the top of my head, I know that was not the case, the owners checked out their horses quite thoroughly. One was a beautiful blood bay TB mare that was built like a brick house and she was a super equitation/medal horse. She could be "on" one show and get her rider to the finals and then a complete nitwit at other times. Gorgeous lovely mare when she was on. The other was a Swedish/TB mare that did make it to PSG but was always super tense at home and at the shows and would get an "8" on one movement and then blow up and get a "3". These two mares were beautiful, always tense, lovely movers/jumpers and hussies in the crossties.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                      Just curious after a brief discussion on the horse care board. I mentioned that a mare we are selling is on regumate, which seems to turn a lot of people off. Another person was surprised by this and said most people she sells to expect mares to be on it. However, she deals mostly in the hunter world (I think) while this horse is being aimed at the dressage market. So, is it a bad word to dressage riders, or have I just run into a batch that don't quite understand regumate?
                      I wouldn't consider it a bad word at all, but I am REALLY curious about the person who says most mares she sells, people expect them to be on it? WTF? I don't know THAT many mares that are on it, and I've known a lot of mares in my life.

I wouldn't completely discount a mare for sale who is on it, but she'd have to be something REALLY special for me to justify the expense and risk if she had to be on it all the time.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

Comment

Regumate is my friend! I put Bea on it this summer and the difference is heaven-sent!

She has become a happier, friendlier, relaxed animal. I feel bad that I didn't put her on it sooner. I thought she was just a jerk -- when in reality, her heat cycles were terribly painful.

I tried all the mare herbs, magnesium, Stress-Dex, what-have-you over the last couple of years. For a while, thought I could see some improvement with the herbs, but the effects did not last. Regumate helped and so far the effect has not worn off.

There was a time I wouldn't have considered breeding this mare because of her "difficulties". Now that I know what made her so unhappy, I would consider breeding her, as her disposition is good now. I wouldn't have said that a year ago.

Comment

One of my broodmares is like this and riding her when she's in heat is like sitting on a powder keg! I guess PMS exists even in horses! She's a whole different animal when she's pregnant!
                          Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
                          Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Originally posted by mbm
                          forward is like love - you can never have enough

Comment

There was a time I wouldn't have considered breeding this mare because of her "difficulties". Now that I know what made her so unhappy, I would consider breeding her, as her disposition is good now. I wouldn't have said that a year ago.
                            Can't really disagree with this more. Since reproductive issues tend to be genetic, and there is a strong chance a daughter will inherit her mother's tendencies for things like gestation length, whether or not she's an 'every year' mare etc.,

I can't see why you would perpetuate a mare with hormone issues unless she is phenomenal.
                            InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the insights, everyone.

I was a little baffled by the comment on expecting most mares to be on, as this is the first mare in many, many years I've known to need it (and if I remember correctly, the last one was on it to get her cycles right to breed her...I think). And, admittedly, I was very spoiled prior to this mare by three incredibly lovely mares that were just gems to work with and around.

As for the expense, I think the estimate of $1200 is on the high side. The client who owns the mare in question paid a bit more than $200 for a three month supply. Even if she was kept on it for 12 months of the year, that would still only be $800+...and you can easily spend that in totally unnecessary supplements.

Again, thanks for the insights. I am glad to see it isn't totally a bad thing in the dressage world. We'll continue marketing her, be honest and upfront as always, and see where it gets us. And I will be taking onetempies advice to heart and will be getting regumate in paste form!
                              Amanda

Comment

Something to consider...and I can't remember where I read it recently...Equus perhaps? Anyway research has shown that difficult mares can often find some relief by having a Caslicks operation to partially close their vaginal opening. Apparently in some mares, they are physically uncomfortable from "windsucking" or air getting into their vaginal area during exercise...thus the "witchy mare" behavior from the resultant discomfort. It might be something to try before Regumate as it's pretty easy to do and easy to undo as well. Regumate is a PITA to handle. As a breeding operation, we do have to handle the drug for client mares and I am very concerned about getting it on my skin so I have rubber gloves and take normal precautions but there is always the risk of a spill or accidentally getting it on you. If you are premenopausal women, it is a significant concern for your own health.

I did not know there was a paste. Next time we have a mare on it, I will ask for it instead of the liquid.

Comment

Daydream Believer -- the Caslick's doesn't do a damn thing except prevent the "windsucking" phenomenon that you mentioned. My mare got a Caslicks before I purchased her (why, I don't know -- the previous owner got talked into it for no good reason.) so I know her "problem" is not due to air in the vagina.

If a Caslick's has ever helped a mare with hormonal symptoms, I'd love to hear about it.

Comment

In addition to the paste, there are also implants/beads. No idea how the cost compares. Regumate can be nasty. The rule at my old barn was that no one with a uterus was supposed to handle it. Also have a friend who had a pretty nasty reaction (no periods or really heavy ones w/ lots of cramping for months) as a result of handling regumate or something similar for cows.
                                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Beasmom View Post
                                      Daydream Believer -- the Caslick's doesn't do a damn thing except prevent the "windsucking" phenomenon that you mentioned. My mare got a Caslicks before I purchased her (why, I don't know -- the previous owner got talked into it for no good reason.) so I know her "problem" is not due to air in the vagina.

If a Caslick's has ever helped a mare with hormonal symptoms, I'd love to hear about it.
                                      The point of the article was that windsucking can cause mareish behavior and the Caslicks helps some mares. It might be worth a try before using Regumate but I agree...if she is difficult when in season, than I doubt the Caslicks will help much. I think they were referring to mares who show difficult behavior all the time, not just in season.

Interesting that Regumate can be given to geldings ...not per label use...but my vet was actually saying that he has prescribed it for high strung show geldings as it has a "sedating" effect on males....possibly on females as well...not sure on that point. Not sure of the ethics on that one, but I would not be surprised if there are not a number of geldings showing on the stuff also.

Comment

It would put me off and the first question I would ask if I thought there was sufficient reason to enquire about the horse, based on record/breeding etc, was "why?". As I also look for future breeding prospects, a mare that "had" to be on Regumate would also be off my list for future breeding.

I did have a mare that one new-time vet recommended regumate for. She was the "come at you with teeth and hooves" school when in season but a sweet kind willing mare when not (and thank god, NOT a continual cycler like my present two mares). I did/do firmly believe in finding out root causes, if possible, and enlisted the aid of an "old-time" vet. The internal showed exactly why she was like she was - her utereus was twisted like a wrung out dish-rag. We had only one option - speying. (Okay, two - the other was euthanasia which was not an option). Took 6 months of recovery but she came out great. (I was given this mare by my dad - if i had purcahsed her, the internal would have been done as part of my routine vet check.)

Comment

Working...
                                        X