• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 2/8/18)
See more
See less

Unfair practices and moderation- I am finished here.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blueberry -good
    pumpkin -bad unless pie related

Comment

• Originally posted by Pocket Pony View Post
      Pumpkin is also disgusting as a general flavor category.

There, I said it again.

(And, I don't like blueberries, either)
      You're pushing your luck little missy! How anyone can say they don't like blueberry pancakes is a complete mystery. Are you any alien from Mars?

I didn't realize western dressage is ridden with one hand. Do you need a western saddle to participate? Maybe I could get one with a huge horn to hold my guacamole and them I would snack on chips while i did my test. Or it could be a margarita holder!

Comment

• Originally posted by RxCate View Post
        I make THE BEST rum cake - just sayin.
        The rum cake recipe I made for New Year's Eve has three sticks of butter and a half-cup of rum in the cake, with another stick of butter and two-thirds cup of rum in the glaze. Just sayin'. . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

Cockpot try to stay on the topic at hand which is strawberry cake and ice cream.

The big question, what flavor ice cream? Or can we have gelato.
          Duuuude... you said Cockpot.

hee hee heee

Comment

• Originally posted by LiberalSnowflake View Post
            I've lurked here for years, but only joined recently, and am glad to see this thread has drifted out towards cheesecake rather than the back and forth between the two main protagonists that we usually see duking it out on every dressage thread. I guess the flounce has its upsides! Make mine a Toblerone cheesecake please.
            Now THAT sounds delicious!
            "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

• Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

Cheesecake is too hard. You have to have special pans and then if you don't have the oven just right, the cake cracks. Cheesecake must be bought, not made. But I prefer marble over straight chocolate.
              You only need a springform pan.

And if the cheesecake cracks...hide the cracks with frosting!

Comment

• Ok, but claiming that insult is "in the eye of the reader" if you made a characterized their POV in anything but an accurate way isn't fair. You know you modified what they said; they know it. Own it.

Look, I'm a big fan of Funny. I have fired perfectly good boyfriends for failing on this one point. (You have to make if laugh if you want to get in my pants; think of it as a toll.)

But! You shouldn't be aiming humor at someone else, particularly if you don't know them and can only communicate in writing. I think sarcasm translates very badly from in-person and spoken to written for relative strangers. I think that's a pretty fail-safe rule. It always works for me.
                I am happy to own up that I was making a characterization of juvenile behavior to poke fun. Accurate? Ummm, I think that's also in the eye of the beholder.

I'm struggling with the rest of your post. While I agree with you, in a general sense, that humor is a weapon to be handled carefully, if I understand you correctly, everyone who described the OP as a "flounce" or the Gloria Swanson comparison is also violating the rule of "aiming humor at someone else?"

To be clear, I don't have a problem with the flounce or Gloria Swanson comparisons, because I consider them to be in the same category as my "MOM! They were mean to me!" characterization. It's a sauce for the goose/sauce for the gander situation.

Isn't part of being a place for open discussion being able to call people out when they're being silly and unreasonable? Not in a mean-spirited way, but "Hey, that's pretty silly?"

I am quite capable of self-deprecating humor because, well, I'm such an easy target. Can we really not use humor at all, expect about ourselves? Is that a reasonable expectation for an internet forum?

And on a final note, the secret to great cheesecake is a bain marie, or hot water bath. I used to go to a great deal of trouble to wrap my spring form pan in foil and immerse the whole thing in the bain marie, now I just put a large pan of boiling water on the rack under the cheesecake. Gives it incredible texture and prevents the top from cracking.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gestalt View Post
                  I didn't realize western dressage is ridden with one hand. Do you need a western saddle to participate? Maybe I could get one with a huge horn to hold my guacamole and them I would snack on chips while i did my test. Or it could be a margarita holder!
                  Doesn't HAVE to be, but can be...but yes you need a Western Saddle, complete with handy horn, which I'm sure could be customized to hold a dip bowl. Actually WP riders could use this idea, they must get hungry doing a full lap of the arena....

Originally posted by TMares View Post

Duuuude... you said Cockpot.

hee hee heee
                  Cockpot......snigger

I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenixrises View Post

My husband made the most wonderful pumpkin cheesecake. Or at least it looked wonderful. when we took out to rest and then go watch some TV the dogs counter surfed and, voila no cheesecake.
                    Did you have my dog over for dessert. Cheesecake would have gone really well with the ham she devoured.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarpur View Post

The rum cake recipe I made for New Year's Eve has three sticks of butter and a half-cup of rum in the cake, with another stick of butter and two-thirds cup of rum in the glaze. Just sayin'. . .
                      We may have the same recipe
                      Friend of bar.ka!
                      Originally posted by MHM
                      GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
                      "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Comment

• Originally posted by McGurk View Post

I am happy to own up that I was making a characterization of juvenile behavior to poke fun. Accurate? Ummm, I think that's also in the eye of the beholder.

I'm struggling with the rest of your post. While I agree with you, in a general sense, that humor is a weapon to be handled carefully, if I understand you correctly, everyone who described the OP as a "flounce" or the Gloria Swanson comparison is also violating the rule of "aiming humor at someone else?"

To be clear, I don't have a problem with the flounce or Gloria Swanson comparisons, because I consider them to be in the same category as my "MOM! They were mean to me!" characterization. It's a sauce for the goose/sauce for the gander situation.

Isn't part of being a place for open discussion being able to call people out when they're being silly and unreasonable? Not in a mean-spirited way, but "Hey, that's pretty silly?"

I am quite capable of self-deprecating humor because, well, I'm such an easy target. Can we really not use humor at all, expect about ourselves? Is that a reasonable expectation for an internet forum?

And on a final note, the secret to great cheesecake is a bain marie, or hot water bath. I used to go to a great deal of trouble to wrap my spring form pan in foil and immerse the whole thing in the bain marie, now I just put a large pan of boiling water on the rack under the cheesecake. Gives it incredible texture and prevents the top from cracking.
                        The "flounce" and "mom, I'm telling" are both examples of Going Meta, and also edging toward an ad hominem attack in the form of characterizing the other guy's point of view in an uncharitable way. The posts aren't about the given topic of this forum, but rather about how people feel or how it's being run or whatever. It's boring at best and incendiary or mean-spirited at worst. Notice that I don't do ether; they violate both of my rules for talking profitably and enjoyable with y'all in the interwebz.

Should it be OK to "call someone silly when they are being silly.... by most people's standards?" Meh, you are playing with fire here.

See, in this modern age, there's an unusual amount of cultural caché in being a victim. That's why some of you guys had a long discussion of what counts as bullying. That's why people rush to the position of butt-hurt and victim. So if you want to be nailed for having offended someone who-- let's say for the sake of the argument-- walks around with a chip on their shoulder and is just *begging* for a reason to whine.... you are walking into their trap.

Silly gets nothing from me. Same for the diversion in to cheesecake or whathaveyou as a form of indirect apology and smoothing of feathers. I want folks to show up as adults.... funny ones.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• I just want to add that cheesecake freezes beautifully. I make two and then quarter them and have frozen packets of deliciousness that take about 20 seconds to defrost in the microwave.
                          www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

• mvp,

I'm afraid I am not going to able to meet your standards for posting.

I would still like to raise the general standard of posting on this board; but can't make the step up the level you're proposing myself.

Also, this
                            Same for the diversion in to cheesecake or whathaveyou as a form of indirect apology and smoothing of feathers.
                            seems to be the very thing you claim not to do, the "going meta." You're assuming intent on my part that was absolutely not in my text. It was in no way an apology, direct or otherwise, and I have no idea whose feathers I'm supposed to be smoothing.

Someone made the comment that make cheesecake is hard, because if the oven isn't right, the top cracks. I responded by offering my bit of knowledge that a bain marie is the solution.
                            The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

• Now that I have time and access to a proper keyboard to adequately address the concerns expressed in the OP, I wanted to do so, as I would like to provide our perspective on the situation. My comments in bold.

Originally posted by SendenHorse View Post
                              I am sure the mods will delete this thread just like my posts to address this topic, but here i goes anyways.

Unless the OP is referring to posts in the more distant past, I'm not aware of any posts she has recently made on this issue that we have deleted. She did delete one of her own posts addressing the infraction she received for a recent comment.

I have been treated very unfairly in this forum and it's become very apparent that I do not get help with my concerns.
                              I have received two infractions for "harassing" members (Manni) when I very much did no such thing! In fact I was only responding to very negitive posts coming MY way.

Obviously, perception of fairness is subjective. We don't typically publicly address moderation issues, but since this was introduced to the public domain by the OP, we'd like to clarify that we don't have a standard infraction option for "harassing" (though we can create custom infractions if we feel the situation warrants it.)

The OP's two most recent infractions were given for "Insulting other members," which seemed to be the most accurate description of the options offered based on her comments made in those situations.

Regardless of perceived provocation, you (general) aren't allowed to call each other names and blatantly name call.

It's now become a pattern and I am not being respected.

It had become a pattern, but from our perspective, our posting policies were not being respected.

Every post I have written was deleted immediately with out explanation, and I was never given any warnings before these 2 infractions.

So I was very unclear on why the posts were considered worthy of such extreme reactions.

I'm not sure what "every post" this statement references. In the case of the most recent infraction, the portion of the post containing the insult was removed, with an [edit] left in its place.

These two infractions the OP references were issued on 2/8/18 and 1/7/18. She received a previous infraction given on 8/7/17 after she called another user an "asshole."

Blatant insults/obscenities such as that, directed at other users can often result in an immediate banning without warning. We issued an infraction in that case, taking into consideration the user's long history on the board and lack of previous infractions.

This infraction should have served as a warning/reminder that personal insults are not permitted, per our posted site policies that every user agrees to upon joining.

One said "Manni is being a jerk". If that is enough to give me this demerit this is no where I want to put any more of my time or attention. That is rediculous when much worse abuse has come at me and NOTHING is done to ban Manni.

The post actually read, "Why are you always such a jerk?"

Users certainly have their choice of where they would like to spend their time and attention.

We're puzzled by the OP's ability to know the specifics regarding moderation activity with other users and reiterate that issues regarding the perception of fairness are subjective by nature.

Please consider this post sincerely. I wasn't going to post but I felt it was better for those who are still here to understand the current status.

To reiterate, the OP's previous posts regarding this situation were not removed. One still stands on another thread, and the other was removed by the OP herself, but I'm sure more users have had the opportunity to understand the current status now that there is a thread devoted to it.

I don't play that way. I am NOT banned and I am choosing to leave on my own free will. I no longer understand how the mods are operating but it's enough to be fed up. If they are overworked due to OT/CE & no ignore then I feel they should consider reducing the workload as to not continue to confuse long time members. I do not know why Manni gets treated with kid gloves but it's a pattern here, I am not the only one who has left. I have said 500x times. this is what happens when no one listens.

This is especially sad for me since I have been here since 2001- the early 2000s anyways- and I have always tried to add to content and add my experiences.

In the course of reviewing the posting history related to this situation, it does give pause to debate whether extending continued membership to the OP is in the best interests of those involved, but banning her when she will never be back does seem redundant and needlessly provocative.

We absolutely understand that it can be frustrating to interface with other users with whom you don't agree and don't feel are fairly representing their position in a discussion.

But we try to offer an avenue for users with different perspectives to challenge each other and learn from each other.

I don't want to moderate a site, and I hope you don't want to participate on one, where if there's a heated disagreement where users are posting within the site's policies, parties can report posts and posters with whom they disagree and expect that their posts will be removed and accounts banned...or one where the moderators are lurking on every thread, waiting to pounce at the faintest whiff of discord.

I think/hope the majority of community members prefer an environment that is more self-determined.

Clearly, there may be differences of opinion regarding our policies, and that's why the moderators get paid the big bucks. I don't pretend that our decisions are always perfect, but we make them with a genuine effort of fairness and intent to protect the ability for our users to have a free exchange, in an atmosphere where even unpopular opinions can have a place at the table, if voiced within our polices.

We review all alerts sent, and we don't typically directly respond to them. If no action is taken in response, we may not have agreed that the post required intervention, may not have gotten to it yet, may have addressed it privately with the parties involved, may be waiting to see how the situation develops, may be researching the situation, etc.

It does not make sense for us to get into PM debates with users about why or why not we did or didn't do something. We will ALWAYS read alerts and PMs sent to us, but if you're asking "Why didn't you _____?" The answer is generally that we didn't think it was the appropriate choice at that time...or that we didn't get to it yet.

We can't often know the intent behind a post, and we typically give users the benefit of the doubt, which is one of the reasons we take a light hand when it comes to moderating. Blatant name calling and personal insults are a pretty bright line that's not typically open to interpretation, however.

If users have a personal issue with another poster, address it personally, via PM. Or better yet, ignore it entirely, and focus your energies on the actual topic that has managed to elicit such impassioned responses.

I am not coming back here except to check PMs and I will not respond to this thread.
                              We hope to have shed some light on our position and perspective on this issue and our general moderation approach and want to offer a gentle reminder that at the end of the day, we're all just talking about horses and whatnot over the computer.

Thanks!
                              Mod 1

Comment

Working...
                              X