• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who's responsible... haying damage to car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's responsible... haying damage to car?

Long story short, and I don't know all the details, so I'm being fairly general. My barn owner is an old farmer and has multiple hayfields. He was haying this past week and had some people in to help him. One guy was helping him out; not sure whether it was a boarder or a neighbour. The helper was doing something with a hay wagon or rake and unhitched it incorrectly and it whacked his car. From what I gather it left a couple of dents in the back/trunk door (SUV), just cosmetic, not noticeable unless you move the spare tire. I also gather that it was the helper's fault--he shouldn't have been doing whatever he was doing with the hitch; I don't know my farm machinery, so as I said, I don't know the details.

The helper wants the barn owner to pay for replacement of the trunk door now. This seems unfair to me, as it was the helper's mistake that caused the damage, but the helper's reasoning is that it was the barn owner's property and machinery. What would be your take?

I just feel badly for the barn owner, who's a nice old farmer and really can't afford to pay this expensive car bill right now... he did offer to split the cost, but the guy wouldn't take it, I guess. Don't know if the helper had financial incentive to help or was just doing it to help.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Rotten is what I'd call the helper.
    Not an insurance agent, but since it was his car, and his doing, I would think it would be his auto insurance that a claim would be made against.

I suppose he could go after the farmer's farm insurance, but I would think they would consider this the helper's fault. Now, if the farmer was driving the car, or the attachment, that makes things different.

Again, I am not an insurance agent, but thats my take.

Tell that nice old farmer to tell that whippersnapper to jump in the pond!
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

The farmer should call his insurance agent and/or insurance company. They'll be able to tell him what his liability is and if he's covered for the damage, if he's responsible.

Comment

Why did he park the damned car where it could get bit by something, even a remote chance? Anyone around here with even half a brain knows enough to park out of the way of machinery or in a place where the machinery will go during the course of the work. And if he was using his car to move something, he deserves a bite in the backdoor for misuse. His problem, not the farmer's.

Honestly, it is bad enough when you HAVE to back a truck up to some equipment to put an unweildy part into the box to get a replacement or to refit the replacements. This is why most farm trucks have either box liners or very beat up boxes.
        Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by fivehorses View Post
          Tell that nice old farmer to tell that whippersnapper to jump in the pond!
          LOL, that's my preferred response. d;
          "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Hands down it's the fault of the complete moron who hit his own car with the farm vehicle he was handling at the time.
            Seriously...how stupid and greedy can people get???

Poor farmer...tell him the general consensus is to tell the helper he's sh*t outta luck on this one.
            You jump in the saddle,
            Hold onto the bridle!
            Jump in the line!
            ...Belefonte

Comment

I think we can all agree that if you damage your own vehicle, no one but you is to blame. Honestly, I don't know what such a pristine vehicle was doing at a barn anyway. Anywhere machinery is used, anywhere lose rocks are the norm, anywhere a cat or dog my get to your car, is not the place to leave your highly prized, immaculate SUV. This is why farm vehicles aren't coated in Turtle Wax with sheepskin seat covers.
              "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
              http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

If I were to run into my own car with a piece of equipment I'd suck it up, and probably cover it up too, my DH would never let me live it down.

Trying to imagine the precise scenario, helping out a friend or employed by a friend, if I were to hit a client car my employer would probably have to pay as I am the employee; helping out a friend, well the friend might have to pay, same as if I were to be involved in an auto accident his insurance has to pay, or at least haggle it out with mine.

Still, it isn't at all honorable to have an accident with other people's equipment in the first place unless it was a equipment failure.

My employer pins our drivers to the wall when they have any sort of accident at all - they go before the accident review board, often there are threats of termination, suspensions if the driver is found to be at fault, demotion in some cases. There's a strong impetus to hide accidents, but discovery of failure to report is a double whammy, better to be a safe driver.
                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                Incredible Invisible

Comment

We had something similar happen a few years back. We parked a flatbed trailer in our "turn around" paddock which sits next to our barn and is not only where employees park, but also where we turn our trailers around after coming down a narrow drive. An employee backed her car right into the flatbed trailer which did no damage to it but dented her trunk pretty well. She wasn't quite so presumptuous as the helper you are discussing - she filed with her own insurance carrier and that's the last we heard about it other than to have a good laugh about it on occasion.
                  Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

No biggie.

Just a little property damage claim.

That's why we have insurance.
                    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

In a younger, previous life, I tried to move the manure dumpster by pushing it with my truck. Dented the front bumper.

I guess I missed an opportunity to go after the Dumpster co. for making such a hard sided bin!
                      You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                        If I were to run into my own car with a piece of equipment I'd suck it up, and probably cover it up too, my DH would never let me live it down.

I really did LOL on that comment, because that would so be me!!!!!!

Comment

Jswan, why should the farmer pay a damage claim.
                          Every time you put in a claim for insurance, your rates are affected.
                          My agent/friend told me even inquiries are tracked and if they think you are a risk, then you're gone.

I try not to put in small claims, want low rates. Plus, they have a national tracking and can see your insurance history if you try and get other insurance.
                          save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Bumbling "helper" should suck it up and take responsibility for damaging his own vehicle. There's no reason for the farmer to have any liability for this, whatsoever.
                            In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                            A life lived by example, done too soon.
                            www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Sounds like his own damn fault.
                              Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by fivehorses View Post
                                Jswan, why should the farmer pay a damage claim.
                                I didn't suggest that.

The owner of the vehicle should file a claim against his own insurance. It's his fault the accident occurred (if I'm reading the post correctly)

The owner of the vehicle could file a claim against the farmer's insurance, though the company should just decline to pay. The damage may have occurred on the farmer's land, but it was due to the car owner's negligence.

The owner of the vehicle might consult an attorney, but no attorney worth his salt is going to fiddle with a low dollar claim. Especially a low dollar property damage claim.

Much ado about nothing. The guy sounds like a real jackass. I'd classify the damage to his car as a stupid tax.
                                Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X