• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Talk to me of ATVs for farm use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me of ATVs for farm use

I know nothing about them.

Thinking about getting an ATV for dragging arena, spraying, etc. How much ATV do I need? Where do I start?

I would not.
    Get an UTV, like a gator type, with a box in the back.
    That is what we have and it will pull a wagon, our manure spreader, drags, most anything and also haul any supplies around.
    Much, much more handy for any kind of farm use than ATVs, that are more to chase cattle around or play in the sand.

Comment

Kawasaki mule. 4WD if you have hills. Can't do without it.

Comment

I have a 2000 Honda Rancher 250 that is around 22 HP. I would be lost without it.

I can see the advantages of a UTV Gator type in certain circumstances and terrain.

A true ATV is my preference because it can go more places (like after the neighbor's cattle), getting to the Back Forty quickly to check on the horses.

It is used to check fences in our rocky and hilly terrain because it was built for use on rough terrain, plus it is big enough to easily pull a 17 cu/ft dump cart (loaded with stuff for repairing those fences), a four foot drag, or my 23 bushel, ground driven, compact manure spreader.

If you decide on a true 4-wheeler, just be sure it is big enough and has enough horsepower to pull compact-sized pieces of equipment when some of those are loaded with stuff

Comment

I have an Arctic Cat ATV with a dump bed. Love it. It comes in very handy.
          It has a drag attachment but I usually use the tractor to drag the arena.
          www.glenhillfarm.com
          www.learntolikepink.com my journey with breast cancer
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petalu...2907692?ref=ts

Comment

Get a 4x4 designed for hunters with automatic. Will do anything you want.
            Example; http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/.../530/home.aspx
            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

This is our gator pulling our welding wagon, when we were expanding our horse shed:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1278372765

As someone mentioned, if you are on rough country, or need to go chase cattle, ATVs are good for that.
              Anymore, many cowboys here pull their stock trailers around the pastures, not with horses in there, but ATVs.

If you need something to just get around quickly, we even check windmills and fences several miles away with our gator, but don't have to go over really rough country or chase wild cattle, then you can have a more handy one with room for more people and a box, like ours is.

Little dog loves ours.

Comment

What's your budget?

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have a Gator, but the $$$$s just aren't there.

My neighbor has a Honda, 2 wheel drive ... low end power, and it hauls a muck wagon (or did until it fell apart ) carries two muck buckets on the back end,... scoots all over the property oh, and drags the arena without difficultly.
                "For God hates utterly
                The bray of bragging tongues."
                Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Comment

We have a Honda Foreman, his name is George, 500cc with 4WD. Got a "last year's" model for a great price when the local economy was at its nadir. No way was a Gator in the budget, although they are nice. Still, this one definitely has proven useful:

Harrowing paddocks and pastures
                  Pulling the sprayer
                  Hauling bags of feed and shavings on the rear deck (a few at a time, but still very handy)
                  Fetching the mail (our driveway is 1/4 mile long and if the weather is bad that is a bloody LONG walk)
                  Fun/joyrides!!
                  And best of all, pulling the manure spreader. Doing it with the tractor was a royal PITA because you have to hitch and unhitch the spreader every time you need to load it with the tractor/loader. Ugh, HATEFUL job, made much easier with "George".

We need to fix a hook on the back so we can haul in the garbage can with it (same 1/4 mile driveway) without it leaning against the muffler and melting.
                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

The best reason for getting and ATV for me was....

no, not dragging, feeding or any such thing....

it was getting the ATV so hubby had a "toy". He's actually used it only for work so far (logs out of the forest, clearing riding trails etc), but he feels better having a toy...
                    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Comment

I am looking at an Eazy Go with a Honda 4 cycle motor. It is 4x4 and has a dump box. We already have 2 small tractors. The old, old one is hooked all the time to the manure spreader and the younger one does all the loader/dragging jobs.

I thought the Eazy Go would be handy for pulling the small drag, fixing fences, toting stuff, and general running around the farm.

We got to demo it for a week and really liked it.

Comment

Have a Gator 6x4 with dump bed--it's been earning it's keep for 12 years. We bought it used (3 years old) from a Deere dealer. Lady it belonged to traded in
                        her tractor and Gator every 3 years. Worth it's wait in gold!

Comment

Just got a Polaris Ranger and its wonderful! Had a Kawasaki Teryx before the Ranger that was pretty good too. The Ranger has the speed and agility of an ATV but the functionality of a Gator (dump bed, etc.)

DH works for a powersports dealer so we had plenty of options and the Ranger was by far the best. (And its still plenty of fun for him to play with too)
                          A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Comment

Polaris ATV vs Kawasaki Mule ~

I have a Polaris ATV and Kawasaki Mule ~ both needed BUT I can function without the K.Mule ~ I don't believe I could function daily for a year without the Polaris ATV...( also have big John Deere and Ford tractors and New Holland manure spreader as well as two small manure spreaders ..if all had to go & and I could just keep one vehicle for the equine work ? ~~~ YEP ! I would keep the Polaris ATV !!!!!
                            Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

We have a 4-Wheeler at the farm that is used every day. We use it to ride up to the pasture horses, use the Mini Drag, Dump the Manure Spreader, check for lost fly masks, etc, take hay to the pastures, drive through the trails to clip branches etc....pretty much everything. Not only is it versatile, but it was dirt cheap on Craig's List.
                              The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

To add some fuel to your ATV fire....

Hobby Farms mag had an article last year about ATVs including a company in MN that makes a FEL for ATVs.

I talked to them and while the price seemed reasonable, finally decided the handlebar position would make it too tiring for me to use.

To date, 2 Dogs Farm has no tractor besides lawn nor ATV.
                                But I can dream
                                *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

John Deere

We got a new "Gator" last fall.....it is 4X4, low and high, locking differential, fuel injected, 28 HP.........It was great this past winter! The carry and tow capacity makes it almost a must....compared to a tractor or truck for quick or close quarters work

I bought it under the John Deere Equine Discount Program with a bunch of options tailored to all weather farm use.....saved several thousand dollars, but it still cost around $11,500.....The diesel version adds another $1,000 and I am sorry I didn't get it

Several adjoining horse farms have the Kubota version.....very, very expensive, i.e. 35 to 45% more than a JD Gator

Good Luck!
                                  Berkley

Comment

We started with an ATV. Then we got a Gator and never drove the ATV again (literally). Now we have a Kubota RTV 900 and the Gator. We thought we loved the John Deere Gator but we LOVE our Kubota RTV 900! Of course we also have tractors as well but the UTV's are so much more useful (to us anyway) than the ATV ever was.
                                    www.retiredhorses.com
                                    Blogging about daily life on the retirement farm: http://paradigmfarms.blogspot.com/
                                    Paradigm Farms on Facebook

Comment

We have a Kawasaki Prairie (650cc, 4wd) atv and I love it. We have also used a Polaris Sportsman (500 cc) but I like the Kawasaki better even though it is a little older. We use it for dragging a harrow around our paddocks to break up manure, haul hay, plow snow, and all kinds of misc. tasks. Plus, its fun to ride, and my husband and I enjoy taking it on trails in the mountains and hunting. We couldn't go back to not having one.

We also have a tractor, which we use for moving round bales, digging holes, and all of the "big" jobs. We also use the tractor to drag the arena....we used to use a smaller harrow and the atv, but our ground can get hard and the harrow didn't dig enough. The tractor has downward pressure on the back, where an atv obviously doesn't.

We've bought both of our atv's used for around $3800-$5000. I had looked at Mules and Gators at the time but they were not in the budget.
                                      www.newstandardsporthorses.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                        I would not.
                                        Get an UTV, like a gator type, with a box in the back.
                                        That is what we have and it will pull a wagon, our manure spreader, drags, most anything and also haul any supplies around.
                                        Much, much more handy for any kind of farm use than ATVs, that are more to chase cattle around or play in the sand.
                                        Second the motion we have a JD Gator and we haul water, feed, hay, building/repair material and most important we installed the hydrolic dump box with extended sides...we muck into it...and its GREAT.
                                        I do not drag my arena with it, mine is a 4x6 and doesn't corner or circle well
                                        Thats the only job it can't do.
                                        Haul sand to arena and dump n run.
                                        bring stone dust to barn to repaids stall floor, pick up rock in field and dump in woods, never ending work horse best $$ spend..........

Comment

Working...
                                        X