• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Web Cams at Boarding Barns?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Cams at Boarding Barns?

Here's an interesting one... boarder's horse recently had colic surgery. (It happens.) They would like to put a web cam in horse's stall to 'check on him' when he is released from the hospital.

While my horse-girl side says 'Sure' my BO side says 'Whoa! That's a slippery slope that could have me responding to the panicked calls of horse owners 24/7 every time their horse has a snooze or a roll!'

I have absolute trust and confidence in our barn staff and we have an exceptional group of boarders- but this is a monitoring twist that might have unforeseen repercussions.

Thoughts or experiences, anyone?

Did their vet recommend this? Would he or she be willing to recommend it in writing or by making a call? If the vet recommended it, that could be the criterion B.O.'s can use to keep from having webcams in everyone's stalls.
    "Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Comment

• Original Poster

Good point, thanks for the reply. No, this was a boarder-initiated thought I believe.

I hope someone will post that has actually used webcams, but your filter is a good one to keep it from becoming rampant.

Comment

How about for just a certain period of time? Two weeks, maybe?

I'm quite sure that the boarder isn't blaming you--horses just colic. But colic surgury is a pretty major event (and expensive!) and I can certainly understand why they would want to set up a webcam, just to keep an eye on him. When my little pony coliced (luckily without need for surgery) I set my alarm and went out to the barn once an hour to check up on him, all night, just to make sure he was safe and sound.

I certainly wouldn't want to welcome everyone putting up webcams (although what a novel idea for a luxury barn, no?? ) but I don't see how it could hurt for a week or two, and I say this as a barn owner.

I guess it also depends on the boarders though too.....ARE they the crazy type to call you every split second over every belly itch and nose snort?

Comment

My ex used one to monitor her mare the last week or so before she foaled, I understand. Apparently worked great with no need for stumbling around in the dark with a flashlight worrying the mare. But she's not a COTH member that I know of so she can't post here.
          "Things should be as simple as possible,
          but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Comment

I have a surveillance camera (not web enabled, just wireless transmitter to my house) set up in my (private) barn in the foaling stall. While it is invaluable in this setting and I would hate to be without it, I could also see how a BO would balk at the idea of boarders constantly playing cyber-stalker in this manner. It's an unimaginable amount of bandwidth to run a webcam for multiple stalls--I wouldn't consider it unless it were for medical reasons, and perhaps a SINGLE stall in a barn with a webcam for this purpose would be nice. Any ailing horse or one requiring special surveillance could stay in THAT ONE stall until the crisis was over. And as to it being a web camera--why does the whole world need to watch? Just one person would be fine, right? Maybe a couple--the BO and the horse's owner, by arrangement?
            Click here before you buy.

Comment

I think the idea of a webcam is good, especially if it can be set up for only the barn owner and the horse owner to watch. The BO may want to set up an extra charge for monitoring the webcam a couple of times each evening, and any extra trips to the barn that are involved. If I were the BO, I would only want the webcam turned on as I left the barn at night, and turned off in the am. The privacy of other boarders and the BO should be respected.

A horse who has had colic surgery is certainly at risk for additional episodes. The time between the beginning of the colic symptoms and the beginning of definitive treatment plays a big role in survival rates.

Comment

Many dog kennels and dog day care centers are going to those web cams on continuous feed.
                The owners can look on the internet and see their dogs in their pens, or in the exercise yard and be happy that they are ok.
                Most owners, after the new wears off, just look a time or two a day and rarely one feels the need to call to ask why is their dog doing or not doing xyz.

Comment

Sounds like too ooky an idea and may tread on your other clients privacy and could be opening up a can of worms.

If you can isolate this horse to a separate area, perhaps...maybe.

If you have confidence in your staff and post-op care, then your client should respect that. Otherwise, they could look into at lay-up 24/7 facility if they are that worried.

Comment

I have webcams in four foaling stalls and I love them.

I have control over who has access to each cam, but I have allowed everyone I have given an access code to see all four cameras. They are great for having help with foal watch and allowing long distance owners to see their mares give birth. I have also occasionally put a boarder's colicky horse in one of the stalls so they can keep an eye on them from home. I would rather have them call and wake me up if they see anything concerning than be up checking on them every hour.

I am not a public boarding facility though, so I don't have any boarders who I would be concerned about viewing the cams at any time. There has never been an issue with someone wanting a camera in their stall "just because".

With the fairly high risk of relapse with colic surgeries, I would think it would be to the horse's benefit to be under surveillance as much as possible those first few weeks. It is easy to adjust the camera so that only the one stall is visible to eliminate any privacy concerns.

However, it's your property and you need to be comfortable with the idea of having a camera installed and who will have access to it.

Comment

Sounds like a nice idea. If it costs the BO nothing, why not let them do it?

If BO is unwilling to get up in the wee hours to check on the horse after a worried phone call, can the owner be the one to drive over and check?

I would print up a few "video surveillance in use" signs at/around the stall. As long as other boarder know where the camera is, they should not object.
                      Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

Well, we have webcams in our four foaling stalls. They are primarily used for foal watch in the spring. However, when we have a horse that is colicky, or recovering from something, we DO put them in one of the stalls with a cam and we DO keep watch on them with the cams.

It beats running out to check on them every 15 minutes. I can just click on the TV and take a quick look. And if the owner wants to check on them from their computer, why the heck not?
                        Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

I think installing a webcam is a great idea, I often thought about putting one in my horses stall.

Comment

In response to the poster who said web cams don't cost the Barn owner anything I beg to differ. There is the cost of bandwidth and in our case fiber to the barn, media converters, IP cameras 250.00 each, wireless long range router 200.00 and labor. I charge 10.00 a month to have IP access, the boarder supplies the IP camers which also gets the boarder wireless access to our network for those work from home summer Fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by TalkIsCheap View Post
                              Sounds like too ooky an idea and may tread on your other clients privacy and could be opening up a can of worms.
                              Errr, I'm all for it just being annoying, but really, how is it "treading on your other client's privacy"?

I mean...the camera would be in the ONE horse stall, focused on the middle of the stall. Assuming all of the boarders are aware of it, they will perhaps choose to use other stalls for their bathroom/undressing purposes? That's really the only thing that I can think of, in regards to it "invading their privacy." It's not like you're wiring up the entire barn with cameras and lasers.

Comment

The poster might be referring to the fact that you can also get cams with sound. But really, I don't think this is any expectation of privacy in a barn. Don't say anything you wouldn't want repeated or heard by the entire world.
                                Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

As a barn owner I would be happy to allow a webcam for the duration of recovery provided all costs were born by the horse owner.............I think it would take a lot of stress off of me to have the horse owner watching as I will often get up in the middle of the night to do a check if something wasn't right earlier or if I have a sick horse........I do this with my horses as well as boarders horses if necessary.

Dalemma

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Motivation View Post
                                    While my horse-girl side says 'Sure' my BO side says 'Whoa! That's a slippery slope that could have me responding to the panicked calls of horse owners 24/7 every time their horse has a snooze or a roll!'
                                    A while ago, I thought it would be cool, and a nice option to allow people to put up webcams - IF they paid a fee as a service. But after thinking about it, and knowing how many times I get people in panic mode, knocking on my door because their horse, or ANY horse is laying down, and they just wanted to let me know so I can be aware of a possible problem, I realized it would make my life really crazy.

It may also be a kindness to some super worried boarders NOT to be able to see if their horse is breathing every few seconds.

I also had a boarder 8-10 years ago that had to be at work really early, so I thought it was fine if she came in to see her horses at 3 AM before work. At LEAST once a week, she woke me up as she was worried about something - the way her horse was snoring, position sleeping, etc. Not once was it ever something real.

I would STILL love to have one aimed at the fields, so the boarders could see their horses playing, running, etc. If I had extra money laying around, I would do it.

I also love the idea of installing one for a few days on a horse that we are worried about. I do have a camera and have used to to foal, or watch a baby I am worried about. It is just hooked up to my TV though. so not online for anyone.

I also have a fisher price baby listening monitor that I hang on a stall of a recovering colic, choke, etc, so I can make dinner, etc, and still keep an "ear" out for in case they get bad again.

Comment

You haven't said if the boarder is able to come check things out in person if she is worried by what she sees on camera. If she can come down, then I see no harm in this (provided she pays any extra cost for the set up). But if she's going to be calling you to check things out, maybe set up a charge for that, assuming going to the barn in the middle of the night is not part of your usual routine.
                                      https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                                      Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                                      www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

If someone came to me with that question, I would say absoloutly not. Survailance cameras at a breeding barn are great but that is not the situation in this case. I have had enough crazy boarders over the years to know that for me, it would be a bad idea. If someone is that worried and they do not trust me to handle the situation, they should not be at my barn. I would say they were welcome to camp out if they wanted, but a camera just opens the door to excessive worrying, as in a call every time the horse rolled, lay down, drank, pooped or anything. Yes the horse needs close monitoring and maybe some people have the time and patience to babysit owners, but not me.
                                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X