• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What are you using for fencing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you using for fencing?

I am in the process of upgrading old fencelines to new posts and panels. I wanted to pick the collective brains here for input about what is being used these days, just so I'm not missing anything that would be new to me.

I originally had three board wooden fence. Very pretty, but high maintenance and now entire sections of fenceline need replacing at once because the posts are breaking off underground. (my fault, I used cheaper pressure treated landscape ties for posts)

I also lined the inside of these older wooden paddocks a couple years ago with Red Diamond no-climb fencing to protect the wood a bit more and prolong it. I do like that. It's a bit pricey and tough to fix, and I am getting sharp ends in places where it's gotten broken.

One paddock I did with better grade 4x4 and no climb fencing, topped with a single wooden rail. I like this one, but again, it's not the easiest thing to fix and the lower part of the no-climb has more flex than I would like.

I now find myself changing old fencelines over to pressure treated wooden posts and round pen panels affixed between them. So far so good, although I worry about an accident occuring that would split the metal. On the pro's side, they are easy to install and maintain, (esp. when they come pre-painted) and the horses aren't chewing or fussing with them. On the con's side is the cost and the potential for injury if one is compromised.

I have not used any of the Ramm fencing, or similar. I really know very little about it. I have a couple more paddocks to build and would like to investigate fencing options.

What do you use?
    Pro's?
    Cons?
    If you could use any fencing at all, what would you choose?
    And what would you avoid like the plaque?
    TIA.

We have three board for most of our fencing. When we bought the place earlier this year, much of it was in poor repair, and we spent money and lots of our own time replacing a whole lot of it. I like three board for perimeter fencing because it is solid and very, very visible.

However, my internal fences that we're building to create a rotational grazing system and to fence off the wetland and stream area on the property, are all Horseguard. I loff Horseguard. More importantly, my husband, who is stuck doing a lot of the fence building LOFFS Horseguard.

It was VERY easy to install on T-posts, and with the nice covers they sell, it looks attractive too. The horses respect it, and the one time I had a horse run into it, all I had to do was spend 5 minutes re-tensioning the fence, and it was done. We even were able to run a strand on top of the three board where we share a pasture fence with the neighbors horses. No communing over the fence!

Also, the Horseguard customer service is great, and their product is so easy to install. Everything is ingeniously made.

I will say that I don't think I'd use it for all the perimeter fencing though. That's mostly because I like hard, solid, VERY visible fencing that is TOUGH for horses to get through, and in my mind, nothing is better for that than 3 or 4 board fence.
    Here Be Dragons: My blog about venturing beyond the lower levels as a dressage amateur.

Comment

Exterior fencing is Electorbraid with metal corner posts and their fiberglass posts in between........In the grass pastures I have treated wood posts with tape.....in the paddocks I have the tape but have used metals posts......they chew if they are confined.......so the metal elements chewed posts.

Picture of the paddocks

Dalemma

Comment

Avoid? Barbed wire, high tensile wire (by that I mean wire that cuts rather than snaps, too strong of wire, too tight of wire).

Standard for the TB farms is four board or diamond wire with a top board. Tried and true, generally accepted as safe for all equines.

They can kill themselves on anything though, or break a leg, so it is sort of a crapshoot on all fencing as to which one is the safest.

For our own place we wanted wire with a sight board, but we are still waiting to get the holes drilled through our rock (DH is a cheap fella) so since we had planned to subdivide internally we went with Electrobraid, which suited our terrain well, was visible, could be hung from t posts or trees or any surface really, and is more user-friendly than plain electric wire so disconnectable single strands are easy to put in and use. Ramm and centaur were both nice but didn't offer the flexibility of the Electrobraid, which is basically a nylon rope.

Stock panels we use for pens. They are a nice option but I can't off the top of my head compare them price wise, I guess I need to figure the precise cost per foot of my fences (DON"T want to do that, really I don't). The ones we have have taken some abuse by the pony, who has leaned on the gate panel and the divider panel, bent up a couple of pipes etc. I see this as a problem because they aren't really straightenable and they look bad, I want to place to look reasonably nice, well kept etc.

ETA We also have a wind issue here, and the EB is a rope and not affected by wind, the off label tape that was here when we moved in flapped and wiggled something awful, and the neighbors' cows walked right through it.
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

Where is your fencing on the property, and what else is around it?

I use 3 strands of electrobraid- no cross fencing/perimeter, just two seperate fields. I live in a fairly rural area and both pastures are surrounded 90%+ by 10' wild rose hedges, and then a good several hundred acres of forest on the outside of that... so I feel VERY confident that the horses aren't going ANYWHERE.

If I lived in a less rural area or near roads that people actually drove one and didn't have my wonderful rose hedges I would probably put up no-climb or something similar. For me it's just as much fencing for the horses so they don't hurt themselves on the fencing, as it is taking the landscape/setup into mind.

Comment

I have found three board fencing (using the right materials, professionally installed) to be very low maintenance.
            Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I am upgrading some of my fencelines to electrified coated wire (5 strands). We have a little of everything on the family farm, and like this the best. The key is ELECTRIC. Horses don't mess with the fences if there's a strand of electricified something there.

Comment

I love my Horseguard bipolar fencing with solar chargers. Very affordable, very easy to install and virtually no maintenance. I put in posts where I had to, and used their fiberglass stakes everywhere else. It looks elegant (even if not quite as elegant as board fence).

If I had endless amounts of money, I'd honestly put in board fence everywhere (with the Horseguard fence if I still had a cribber) but since I don't and I live where I live, I don't care to move rocks for the next fifteen years.

When I was looking at my fencing alternatives, I was intrigued by the Bayco Finish Line but didn't want to put in all those posts. I'd still be digging today.
                Last edited by easyrider; Jul. 2, 2010, 01:29 PM. Reason: mixed up my fencing with my aspirin
                The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
                www.reflectionsonriding.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Counselor View Post
                  I have not used any of the Ramm fencing, or similar. I really know very little about it. I have a couple more paddocks to build and would like to investigate fencing options.
                  I have the Ramm flex fence as a top rail for my no-climb fence, and I quite like it. The posts need to be very solid, but if they are, the fence has been zero maintenance.

I think having tall fences helps too. That was advice that came here from COTH, to do 5' fences, and I think that was right on the money.

The no-climb is a PITA to install and I've had some issues with it, mostly because we did not stretch it tightly enough (I was chicken we'd break it). However, we'll do that again for our perimeter fence, to keep dogs in. (And, when we put in the first stretch, to keep the toddler out.) I'm not sure I will use it for ordinary cross-fencing in the future unless I need to keep the small critters out. But it is a great fence.

I'm using some Horseguard as well. I love it for easy installation, but in my area, where the grass grows very high very fast in spring, and then the ground is dry dry dry in summer and fall, any kind of electric fencing is actually very high maintenance.
                  If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Just wanted to mention that the Horsequard bipolar fencing works anywhere. Because it's not grounded, it stays hot regardless of your ground conditions -- even dry or frozen. Of course, the fence mowing is still an issue.
                    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
                    www.reflectionsonriding.com

Comment

I have Centaur HTP for my perimeter fencing and would do that again if I could afford to in any future fencing. But it was expensive, although next time I think we could save by installing ourselves -- we had it done, and that probably doubled the cost, but SO is not that handy and our lack of free time was a big factor in that decision.

My cross fencing is Horseguard tape. I like it a lot for that purpose - easy to install, I can move it as needed, and it does work fairly well. But I wouldn't use it for perimeter fencing.

We considered no climb or diamond mesh with a top board when we first looked at fencing here, but the downside for us was our terrain. We are on a slope and the ground goes up and down and it would be very difficult to make the wire mesh/board look good in such terrain.

I have some wood 3-board fencing at the front of our pasture (short stretches from barn to gates, before the big runs of Centaur start). I hate it. Horses chew on it unless I keep electric on it, I've had a horse get his leg in it (not pretty), and the boards are splitting in spots already and it is just 3 or 4 years old.

I despise electric rope fencing, having boarded at places that used it -- every single horse that I had at that barn for any period of time has scars from that stuff. But it was poorly installed (too long stretches between posts, too loose) and rarely maintained. I know some people here love it. But I won't use it.

We are putting in some new pasture (if our worker guy ever returns -- our rainy spring sent him into hiding and he hasn't emerged yet!) and what I'm looking at for those areas is just one Centaur HTP top rail (the 4 or 5 inch stuff like I have elsewhere) and then strands of the coated wire (White Lightning, although in our case it is brown) below that. Helps make it more affordable than the multi-rail Centaur that I have, and we can definitely install that ourselves. I think it will look good with the other Centaur and brown Horseguard tape that I have in use, and is safe and easy to maintain.

Comment

[QUOTE=horsepoor;4954668]

I despise electric rope fencing, having boarded at places that used it -- every single horse that I had at that barn for any period of time has scars from that stuff. But it was poorly installed (too long stretches between posts, too loose) and rarely maintained. I know some people here love it. But I won't use it.

QUOTE]

There is rope fencing and then there is Electrobraid.....two different products.........we have some fencing companys up here that try to pass off electric rope as the same stuff as Electrobraid....but it differences are like night and day......strength being one of them and the fact that Electrobraid has to be tensioned the rope cannot be tensioned just tightened.......and when Electrobraid is installed properly and NOT used as crossing fencing unless you have a 12' alley between(per manufacturers instructions)....it is the safest fencing I have come across

Dalemmma

Comment

Originally posted by Eventaholic View Post
                          Where is your fencing on the property, and what else is around it?

I use 3 strands of electrobraid- no cross fencing/perimeter, just two seperate fields. I live in a fairly rural area and both pastures are surrounded 90%+ by 10' wild rose hedges, and then a good several hundred acres of forest on the outside of that... so I feel VERY confident that the horses aren't going ANYWHERE.

If I lived in a less rural area or near roads that people actually drove one and didn't have my wonderful rose hedges I would probably put up no-climb or something similar. For me it's just as much fencing for the horses so they don't hurt themselves on the fencing, as it is taking the landscape/setup into mind.
                          I live on five acres in a subdivsion with people on all sides of me some bush some open grass fields. I have no concerns about my horses getting out with the Electrobraid.....it is far to hot...about 10,000 volts for them to even consider touching it.

Dalemma

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                            Just wanted to mention that the Horsequard bipolar fencing works anywhere. Because it's not grounded, it stays hot regardless of your ground conditions -- even dry or frozen. Of course, the fence mowing is still an issue.
                            I am going to try the bipolar next time I buy some.
                            If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I've got four rail Horserail fencing, which is basically the same sort of thing as Ramm or Centaur. I've had it about three years now, love it to bits.
                              Eileen
                              http://themaresnest.us

Comment

I have two or three (depending on which pasture) strands of electric tape with trees as the majority of my posts. I have an odd set up due to the fact that my property is all heavily wooded. It would be impossible for me to have any type of board fence, because I would be constantly fixing boards that limbs had fallen on. The tape is super easy to fix, visible, cheap and carries a whopper of a charge. I would not, however, use it for a fence along a road or if I had a horse that really challenged the fence.
                                "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
                                So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

Perimeter fence is a "3 board" that has wood board on top and bottom with X in the middle. Fence was here when we bought the place. We added no climb and a strand of Horseguard to the top that is hot.

Existing fence when we bought that place as well was the dividing fence that splits the property into Parcel A and B. This is a fence like you mentioned, no climb with wood on top. So far so good and no complaints. Touch up the top boards every now and then but thats it.

I put up my own cross fencing to make smaller pastures/paddock and it is Horseguard. We bought the pressure treated 4x4 round posts set 4' into the ground. All 3 strands of Horseguard are hot using a 25 mile Solar box.

LOVE my Horseguard. Other than tightening a strand here or there, its been up for 4 years thus far and I have not had ONE problem.
                                  ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

We have a number of different types. We have road frontage on several roads. Near the house we have treated Poplar split rail-much heavier than the typical treated pine split rail. It's been trouble free but I can't find it any more. I wouldn't want it out of sight for days though like a board fence that I trust.

On the road at the back of the farm we have 4 board, 5' high with a #9 aluminum hot wire 4" above the top, 4x4 posts and 2x6 boards. It's also been trouble free.

Between the dog yards and the pastures we have Non-Cimb all the way to the ground. No trouble with it either on treated posts.

We have LOTs of 1/2" tape fences dividing off inside parts, some of it 18 years old (it was put in as "temporary" fence, some on cedar posts and some was installed on landscape timbers) also. I'll never use landscape timbers for anything anymore, although we do have some 15 year old cavellettis I built with them and those are okay, I guess because they never touch the ground. All the landscape timbers in the fence have been replaced by now. This fence is a constant pain in the ass, but I just haven't come up with the time or inclination to bother to replace it other than the time it takes to keep it up. I'll never put up a temporary tape fence again though.

Newer pasture divider fences have been 4 1/2' high three board and those have been no trouble either.
                                    www.HistoricHousePreservation.com

Comment

Beware of that Electrobraid!!

I had 2 horses get wrapped in that stuff and one almost cut his hind leg off, took me, my husband, and the vet all working together at the same time, more than 3 hours to sew him back up...we almost lost him . The other one was not as bad but still ended up with about 30 stitches. The mess won't break, no matter what!! When we got a video of it they had a car suspended in the air with one strand (at the time, I thought that was a good thing), add electricity to the mix and you have a disaster in the making. At the very least, if you already have it up.....don't make it electric!

Comment

We had a customer who bought a boarding facility and replaced but not all of the fencing with our products. A couple of years later she called for more of
                                        Centaur product--her best show mare had gotten a leg caught in the Electrobraid and had degloved her leg to the bone and had to be put down.

We have some Centaur coated wire on T-Posts with the sleeves, some of the
                                        same on the existing pipe posts and a line of Centaur with more waiting if DH
                                        ever gets off his behind.

Due to the economy, this year most of our customers have been ordering coated wire products, electric and non-electric. It used to be like half and half between the rail and the coated wire. And more ordering a top rail with strands of coated wire underneath which is a nice compromise and looks good, too.

And yes, landscape timbers make terrible fence posts!

Comment

Working...
                                        X