• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Barn owner input - crazy boarder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, get names of all the barns she's boarded at and check references. Maybe she's just socially awkward or nervous about having to move her horses.

Its not realistic to modify for fences for one boarder. If there is room for her to put up her own paddock, maybe let her.

Your prices are your prices. Lots of barns around me have multi horse deals or discounts if your horse can be used x number of hours in their lessons programs etc. Only you know if you can afford that.

I boarded at a crazy magnet net barn for five years. The barn owner was a true horse trader and went through two crazy wives during my time there.

There was a boarder with a horse severely injured there. Lawsuit went nowhere because of the unpredictable nature of horses. BO had a well worded, signed contract.

I understand needing money. I was a single mom with a dead beat ex that didn't help out. Any job you have, where you deal with the public you have some that are easy and others that aren't. I never had the luxury of deciding how much I would put up with because if there was no income, there was no mortgage payment, car payment or groceries.

If her references check out, write the contract for the exact length of time she needs only, she releases you from liability, you may terminate the contract at any time, she must give 30 days and have a zero balance before she can remove horses. Protect yourself legally and take her money. You can put up with anything for six months if you really need income.

Comment

No contract can keep someone from sueing you. It might help you win the lawsuit, but you will spend a fortune doing it. I'm not saying that this woman would sue you (you never know until it happens), but a contract is no protection.

Comment

Originally posted by dressagegirl123 View Post
        No contract can keep someone from sueing you. It might help you win the lawsuit, but you will spend a fortune doing it. I'm not saying that this woman would sue you (you never know until it happens), but a contract is no protection.
        No it can't prevent them from suing. But it can make intelligent attorneys turn down the case. In this particular case, they found an attorney, brought the suit, had publicly bashed the barn owner. His attorney made one phone call and explained the suit would be countered for attorney's fees and damages from libel. The case was dropped and his atty didn't even charge him for making the one phone call. No, that's not going to happen in every case.

But here where I live it's tough to sue over anything to do with a horse but lord knows people try. Someone else tried to sue him and that one made it to court. I actually had to testify in that one. Judge threw it out and saddled her with court costs. ANOTHER person tried to suit saying her horse was exposed to strangles at his barn. Inspectors came out and found nothing and that one ended up the way the first one did. And still another time, someone tried to sue him over a shared lease between her daughter and the BO daughter. That got tossed out and the woman got saddled with a gag order. ........holy cow he was sued a lot. Told you the barn was a crazy magnet. 5 years there and I swear everyday was like that.

Comment

Invoke the waiting list, or if you have empty stalls, the training horses coming in next month.

And try to look sorry whilst invoking.
          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Don't do it. I'm sure there are plenty of non-crazy people looking for a place to board. Don't be swayed by money now that will cost you mentally later. I once boarded at a co-op barn that was perfectly lovely until one boarder moved in who was so crazy and horrific that half the barn opted to move out, including me.
            Eventing at Midnight Blog

Rodan and Fields, Ask Me About it
            A Measure of Grace Blog

Comment

Take $750 and minus the expenses these horses will cost you (our field boarders get hay during the winter and grain all year round if needed). At $250 horse - grain at $45 a month, minus hay at $70 a month = $105/month is what each horse will COST you to keep. $250-$105 = $145 is the profit you make off each horse. $145 x 3 horses comes to $435 a month profit TOTAL for you to deal with this woman. Unless your farm is about to go under, I would not even speak with this woman anymore.

I believe I may be dealing with her sister. A week ago, she shot me a text asking about grazzing muzzles. I had no idea who she was. Then, she sent me an email with more questions. Not a big deal. Then she called while I was holding horses for the farrier and when I asked if I could call her back, kept going on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on. At that moment, I had already said in my brain "no way". We were having a show that weekend and she said she would stop by. Sure. No problem. It is a public event. The show got cancelled and she comes out anyway...and pins one of our boarders in the barn for an hour and a half. Apparently she knew the latest and greatest treatments on horses with metabolic issues. The one horse has been quite difficult to get to eat - to the point I spent most of Easter speaking with a Veterinarian across the country who is doing research on exactly the issues we are having with this horse. We finally came up with a program that is working for that horse (including regular routine blood work that is coming back better than it ever has). This women was condescending with someone that was just trying groom her horse when this crazy person showed up. I don't care if she offered double what we charge for board. There is no way I'm letting someone like that through our barn doors. I wasn't particularly nice in my follow-up e-mail with her, so I doubt she has any inclination to board with us to begin with. She also let it slip while we were talking on the phone that she has been through other barns in our area over the past few months. She keeps leaving because "no one wants to ride with her". I *almost* told her why people don't want to ride with her - she is crazy - but I didn't think that would go over well. We are a small barn with low drama and I work very hard to keep it that way. One boarder can up-set your entire situation. Please think very carefully if you want to dread going out to the barn every single day.
              #JusticeForSunshine

Comment

Holy Schmoly, why is this thread even still alive? The original poster hasn't been back for more than two weeks, and glancing over 4 pages worth of comments, I didn't really see anyone saying "yes, Crazy is awesome!"

So let the thread die already ...

Oh yeah, we've all dealt with crazy and we all want to vent, that's why. :-)
                I've never understood the insult calling a person a "fruitbat." It's not much of an insult to the person. More often than not, the person’s behavior proves it to be more of an insult to the fruitbat!

Comment

LOL yes every time I see this thread bumped I keep checking back for some sort of crazy update and am disappointed!!

Comment

Ah the joy of keeping posting on a thread that you want to die.......if you want it to die, stop giving it CPR......
                    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Comment

Hey you naysayers, just don't read it! I am enjoying the stories and opinions, like LockeMeadows' post. It's fun to read. (I know it wasn't fun to experience it, LockeMeadows, but your account was entertaining.)

I do wish the OP would revisit this thread and let us know if she heard any more crazy from the prospective boarder.
                      "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Originally posted by PeteyPie View Post
                        Hey you naysayers, just don't read it! I am enjoying the stories and opinions, like LockeMeadows' post. It's fun to read. (I know it wasn't fun to experience it, LockeMeadows, but your account was entertaining.)
                        What was truly entertaining was our boarder having a meltdown telling me this story, quite concerned I was going to let this crazy, pushy, opinionated women into our peaceful farm. I told her after the woman refused to get off the phone while I was working with the farrier, that there was no way she was going to park her horse (or herself) here. I honestly does not pay enough to deal with crazy. I'm in a bit different situation than the OP though. I don't actually *need* the money. I'm doing it so I have some people to ride and enjoy my horses with. I have a few ads out right now and about 90% of the people that have contacted me so far do not move past the email interview stage. Yes, I am *that* picky.
                        #JusticeForSunshine

Comment

I think we are stuck. The woman I posted about in #50 apparently hasn't bought any hay, and the farrier says she thinks she doesn't want to do the chores anymore. So she remains. I guess we will have to deal with her constant complaining for the time being. Fortunately I ride in the morning and she comes after work. But I feel for my friends who do have to put up with her. It will be interesting to see how this ends.

Comment

Working...
                          X