• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Favorite parts of your barn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite parts of your barn?

I'd love to hear everyone's favorite things (and I suppose dislike's too!) about their barn or a barn you've been in? At some point (hopefully sooner than later), we will be building a new barn, and love to hear peoples likes and dislikes.

Anyone used the one piece mats? Do you like them?
    www.neighland.com
    Friend us on FB

I will say my favorite part of my barn is my grooming/wash bay. Let me see what it has...
    • Three sided lined with PolyMax board with shallow shelf built in to store numerous bottles.
    • Hot/cold water with overhang hose (boome sprayer). Hot water tank is stored in the adjacent tack room
    • The side that share with tack room has recessed wall for sink/cabinet. The sink is wonderful when you have to wash hands or mix hot water to make bran mash). It is recessed so the front is flush with the wall.
    • Dutch windows on two sides
    • Overhead radiant heater aligned with horse' spine and ceiling fan.
    • Concrete floor with one piece rubber mat on top. The floor is sloped to drain to a drainage at one side, not center of the wash bay (some horses hate center drain).

Comment

One of my favorite things about my barn is that I have multiple stall options. I have 12 x 12 stalls that are very open and the horses can have contact with each other. I have 12x14 stalls that are more closed and while the horse can still see each other they can't have contact. Two of my 12x12 stalls can be converted to a 12x24.

I also have the barn and fencing set up so that even if a horse were to get out of their stall they are still within in a fenced area. All stalls have an exterior exit door as well.

Have fun planning!
      www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

- Pastures that don't get overgrazed or flooded.

- A realllllly nice dry lot, that has gravel and is in a high area, so it never gets muddy.

- Safe fencing!

I don't require much!
        Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

My barn is nothing fancy - 36X36 pole building with two 12X12 stalls. Plain & workmanlike and easy to maintain.

My favorite part is the Dutch doors at the rear of the 2 stalls that lets the stalls open to my sacrifice paddock that surrounds the barn, and from there to the pastures.
          Horses have access to stalls, paddock or pasture as they wish.

60X120 indoor arena is connected to the barn by a common wall and has 16' high sliding doors on all four sides. When all of these are open there is great cross-ventilation into the barn.
          Close them up and the barn is snug & comfy in bad weather.

I have a frostfree pump inside so watering in Winter is easy. Even when I disconnect the hose (cause I'm too lazy to drain it daily in freezing weather) I can water from buckets that I only need to carry some 20' from pump to stall.
          A heat tape keeps the pump from freezing.

Everything is arranged so my labor is minimal. For 2 horses chores take me 1/2 hour. Including picking stalls, scrubbing & refilling water buckets, mixing & feeding grain, dumping the wheelbarrow and sweeping the aisle.
          If I strip the stalls add an hour, but that is only needed every couple of weeks.

No mats in my stalls. I do have some rubber roofing in the aisle - mostly so vet & farrier have a clean place to work.

What don't I like?
          No covered walkway from house to barn.
          I have to trudge the entire 250' in any weather.
          Poor me
          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

My favorite design in a barn is stalls that open to a sizeable overhang, that is part of an outside run.

This way, you can have a horse shut in the stall, open into the run or shut out of the stall and just in the run, with protection from the weather under the overhang.

Our stalls are 14' by 14' and open to a 14' deep overhang and 50'+ long runs, that can be open into a large lot, that opens into a horse trap, that opens into the horse pastures.

Comment

Hands-down favorite is dutch doors that open to a paddock with overhang. We only did 8' overhangs, but that's all that was in the budget and they've worked so far. The increased ventilation is amazing, I can leave them out in their paddocks at night or in bad weather and love to see them standing under the overhang in the shade but out of the rain. We had a breakthrough and my wussy, stall-loving horse FINALLY pooped outside TWICE today in his paddock when his stall door was open. He's becoming a real rugged horse now that he can come and go outside as he pleases.

I am also very fond of the spar varnish we put on our stall walls. I wish I had put another coat at least. I just got in from wiping down the stall walls where my slob of a horse annihilated his stall wall with nasty hay cube mush. A wet rag and voila... looks brand new!

Comment

My favorit thing is what I don't have....a loft.

Today temperature in the barn was holding at 90 with a nice breeze. It came darn close to 100 outside.

I have no loft so the barns are open to the ridge vent. There are big doors on each end and dutch doors out from the stalls. There are vents at the top of theqouside walls and grills between the stalls. It is post and beam construction, no trusses.

It was designed to be cool in summer.

In the winter, well that's why we have blankets.
                I wasn't always a Smurf
                Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

My favorites are my skylights and the Nelson auto waterers. Oh, and the overhang I added last summer over the stalls on the west side of the barn, plus the additional hydrant right next to the stock tank so no more dragging a hose in the winter to drain it.

Simple pleasures.

Comment

Heated bathroom!

Comment

The fact that it is located 600 feet from my house.

Nice, bright, airy stalls, a ridge vent that's clear plastic and natural daylight keeps it from being a dungeon. I *hate* dark barns.

Two of my stalls "transform" into a 12 x 24' foaling stall (heavily used this year!) and I like it in its current state so much I may never put the partition back in.

My automatic waterer, located outside in the sacrifice paddock, is hands down the BEST thing I ever put in. I don't think about watering my horses at all, beyond the daily "eyeball check" and weekly cleaning. No nasty hoses, frozen buckets, ever.

My tack room: 184 square feet that's MINE, ALL MINE!

The horse porch, under an overhang off the side of the barn where the dutch doors exit to the sacrifice paddock, where the horses can hang out, high and dry, and just relax no matter what the weather is.
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

I love my barn. We live in a very horsey area with lots a horse properties with barns much nicer than mine. But my vet has sends over folks who are planning to build a barn to check out ours for ideas. Everyone says "it's so light and airy" and it has a "great open feeling." We built it six years ago, and I've always felt the layout was a bit standard. It's only been this year that I've figured it out. We added an extra foot to the wall height, that is clear, thick, see-through plastic (it's a steel barn). It lets indirect sunlight in throughout the whole barn. Along with that, every stall has a window and a dutch door (I wanted the horse to have light in winter when the dutch doors are closed), and there's a big old 6 x 6 foot sky light over the wash bay. So it gets a lot of natural light inside, and lots of ways to ensure good air circulation. It makes me and my horses very happy.
                        "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
                        <>< I.I.

Comment

The American Flag ~

One of my favorite things in my barn = The American Flag ~ it hangs down from the rafters in the center aisle ~ blows with the breeze ~ not one of my horses or ponies blinks an eye when it waves ~ IMHO it is VERY COOL ~
                          Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Trap doors in the loft so you can drop hay down but don't have to worry about falling.

Comment

Another Thumbs up for skylights & eavelights

I went with the 2' eavelights and wish I had done 3'.

Mine are translucent, but they now come in clear plastic that the builder tells me is pretty scratch-resistant.

Between sky & eave my barn & arena are airy & light.
                              I only need to switch on lights when there is zero daylight left.
                              *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                              Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                              Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                              Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
                                Another Thumbs up for skylights & eavelights
                                Eavelights! Finally, a name for them!!! Thanks 2Dogs, I've always been at a loss as to what to call them...
                                "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
                                <>< I.I.

Comment

-Concrete aisle with rubber mats. Very easy to keep clean and plenty of traction.

-Washing machine in my barn - finally this year after 20+ years of having horses at home!

-Barn sink with hot/cold water.

-Hot water at wash rack, also this year and _I_ did the plumbing!

-12 grassy acres with plenty of trees, and only 5 horses.
                                  Donerail Farm
                                  www.donerailfarm.com
                                  http://donerailfarm.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have a love/hate relationship with my barn!

Love- Steel pre-fab. Can powerwash entire inside/outside few times a year and it is still sparkling white (inside) after 8 years! No maintenance. Double shedrow style w/sand footing- easy to jog inside barn/break babies, etc.

Hate- Steel pre-fab. It's hot June-Aug! Have tack/supplies in 2nd barn. Always have to walk back/forth for stuff. Thinking I'm going to cut off one end from riding inside and make that tack/suppy/trunks area.

Comment

First and foremost - I love that I don't have to drive to my barn - just a short walk from the house!

Structurally -

My aisle has rubber mats up the center with concrete apron around it - vet and farrier both appreciate working on the mats.

The stalls have mats in the center with concrete apron to hold them in place - no bulging or popping corners

Dutch doors on the back of the stalls leading to a 10' overhang - even when I'm not around, they can get out of the weather.

The rehab paddocks - one is 24x24 and the other is a bit larger but I can also open gates between to gradually increase the turn out space. Great for one who has been on stall rest and also a good meet and greet area when a new one comes in.

No hay in the loft - all hay is loaded into a ground level hay room on the back side of the barn through a separate large sliding door - eliminates the hay mess in the aisleway and main barn and the whine from my husband about having to pitch hay into a loft "at his age"

Comment

Working...
                                      X