• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help my stalls. PLEASE! Stall skins?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my stalls. PLEASE! Stall skins?

I'm seriously at my wits end. I've posted before that my new pony (just now a yearling, 11 something hands, 400-450 lbs) drinks 15-20 GALLONS of water a day. The vet has run bloodwork and we are exploring possibilities. In the meantime though... I'm going broke. I can't keep up doing this. That 20 gallons of water all comes out and she DESTROYS her stalls daily. I just can't do it. I can't lock her out because it's too hot without the shade of the stall when it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity. Once she's acclimated to my big horse it will be more feasible because he has trees in his pasture. She's not out on grass for more than 6 hours at a time regardless so she still just needs the shade.

I have 12x15 stalls. I bedded with 9 bags of pellets on Friday. I removed the wet spots every day since and this morning she basically had nothing left and is standing on soaked, packed, sawdust. She really needs her stall halfway stripped and a bag of shavings added every.single.day. I just can't afford that. These are some options I've come up with or was pondering whether they'd be any better.

1) remove the mats and see how it works on just the base. I have a feeling it will be slippery and mucky with that much urine every day.

2) stall skins- again, with that much urine would it even drain?

3) Bed very little and hope she decides peeing outside is better... the one day that I was out of shavings and had little in there she seemed to decide it was better to pee outside, but it might have been a one-time thing.

That's all I got... suggestions? help? Please!?

Bucket Train her.... MistyBlue would be the resident expert in this as I do belive Galopin her mare was potty trained to pee in a bucket. I believe the process starts with training them to pee to a whistle as they do with race horses.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Catersun View Post
      Bucket Train her.... MistyBlue would be the resident expert in this as I do belive Galopin her mare was potty trained to pee in a bucket. I believe the process starts with training them to pee to a whistle as they do with race horses.
      WHAT!?! I have never heard of this. THAT would definitely be handy. She does seem a little, er.... dense though so I'm not sure how it would work but I'd be willing to give it a try.

Comment

I think for now I would try getting her to pee outside- or- get a drill and drill a bunch or 1/4 inch holes in your matts so it would drain better

Comment

• Original Poster

I tried getting her to pee outside. When I stripped the shavings to try and use pellets I put all the old bedding in a pile outside and she DOES pee there, but it's getting mucky fast in her little turnout. For instance, we've had flooding the past few days so her paddock is a mess and there's nothing to attract her to pee outside since it's a muddy mess! Any other suggestions how? She did seem to prefer it when I had practically no shavings in there, but she also didn't lay down. She lays down all the time so I hate to take that away since she's still a baby.

Comment

I would try leaving the stall without any bedding. My boys don't like to pee in their stalls unless there is bedding or unless they can move their hay out of the corner and use it as bedding. I assume they don't like to be splashed when the urine hits the rubber mats. If there is no bedding, they will go outside to pee and then come back in.

Comment

LOL..yeah, I trained Gal to pee iin a bucket.
              Well, she might have trained me, I'm still not sure who trained who.

Gal wouldn't pee outside. I thought it was because of the hard ground and splash, so I put out deep footing/bedding outside. But no dice. So she'd come in at night and flood her darned stall! So I started following her when she wallked in and dropping a bucket under her tail when she'd stretch to pee. It was a very short time before she'd actually wait for the bucket before peeing. Then within 2 weeks she would actually stretch out and then nicker for the bucket, LOL! Same thing in the morning before turnout!

However...although Gal was a The Urinator, she didn't drink that much daily. And she wouldn't just back up to a bucket and pee, she required me dropping the bucket behind her. So not sure that would work.

Now stall skins...those don't allow for any drainage. At least none of the solid ones I've seen. So urine would pool on top and pobably make things worse.

Hopefully this is something that can be fixed...the extra drinking and urinating. And hoping the vet comes up with an answer soon.

Meanwhile the only things I can think of are: Put up a run-in shed and put thick sand in there. You'll have to mix in sweet pdz or something often to keep the sand from getting stinky over time though.
              Or else dig out stall floor and add stonedust and then no mats. Thick stonedust base allows for a lot of drainage, but it would have to be somewhat deep so the drainage goes down low enough to not stink.

Unfortunately both are labor-intensive and not cheap.
              You jump in the saddle,
              Hold onto the bridle!
              Jump in the line!
              ...Belefonte

Comment

Originally posted by dmalbone View Post
                I'm seriously at my wits end. I've posted before that my new pony (just now a yearling, 11 something hands, 400-450 lbs) drinks 15-20 GALLONS of water a day. The vet has run bloodwork and we are exploring possibilities. In the meantime though... I'm going broke. I can't keep up doing this. That 20 gallons of water all comes out and she DESTROYS her stalls daily. I just can't do it. I can't lock her out because it's too hot without the shade of the stall when it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity. Once she's acclimated to my big horse it will be more feasible because he has trees in his pasture. She's not out on grass for more than 6 hours at a time regardless so she still just needs the shade.

I have 12x15 stalls. I bedded with 9 bags of pellets on Friday. I removed the wet spots every day since and this morning she basically had nothing left and is standing on soaked, packed, sawdust. She really needs her stall halfway stripped and a bag of shavings added every.single.day. I just can't afford that. These are some options I've come up with or was pondering whether they'd be any better.

1) remove the mats and see how it works on just the base. I have a feeling it will be slippery and mucky with that much urine every day.

2) stall skins- again, with that much urine would it even drain?

3) Bed very little and hope she decides peeing outside is better... the one day that I was out of shavings and had little in there she seemed to decide it was better to pee outside, but it might have been a one-time thing.

That's all I got... suggestions? help? Please!?

urm---- secure you bucket or water bin, where is her water access in her stable and what type is it, sound like shes knocking it over rather than drinking it
                if so then you need perhaps a smaller bucket or rubbermaid bowl as they come in various sizes and then stuff it in a tyre so the pony cant knock it over
                and refil as require
                horses and ponies can drink as much as you say if thirsty per day each so not unheard of hence why water must be acessable at all times

Comment

Restrict her water intake a little, or just put her outside and let her learn to pee there. She's a youngster, she's a pony, she'll be fine.

Unless your stalls are on pure sand with no bottom, stall skins probably won't be able to handle that much liquid for very long.
                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goeslikestink View Post
                    urm---- secure you bucket or water bin, where is her water access in her stable and what type is it, sound like shes knocking it over rather than drinking it
                    if so then you need perhaps a smaller bucket or rubbermaid bowl as they come in various sizes and then stuff it in a tyre so the pony cant knock it over
                    and refil as require
                    horses and ponies can drink as much as you say if thirsty per day each so not unheard of hence why water must be acessable at all times
                    urm--my buckets are secured. She is not knocking them over, she is drinking it and urinating massive amounts. Water is accessible at all times/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                      Restrict her water intake a little, or just put her outside and let her learn to pee there. She's a youngster, she's a pony, she'll be fine.

Unless your stalls are on pure sand with no bottom, stall skins probably won't be able to handle that much liquid for very long.
                      That's what I was worried about. We have a base from the barn pad then stonedust over the top. Would the water/urine start coming back up through the stall skins?

If fine with locking her outside, but she has no shade and her stall happens to be the one positioned so she would be in sun the majority of the day even with her overhang.

How do I safely restrict her water?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                        LOL..yeah, I trained Gal to pee iin a bucket.
                        Well, she might have trained me, I'm still not sure who trained who.

Gal wouldn't pee outside. I thought it was because of the hard ground and splash, so I put out deep footing/bedding outside. But no dice. So she'd come in at night and flood her darned stall! So I started following her when she wallked in and dropping a bucket under her tail when she'd stretch to pee. It was a very short time before she'd actually wait for the bucket before peeing. Then within 2 weeks she would actually stretch out and then nicker for the bucket, LOL! Same thing in the morning before turnout!

However...although Gal was a The Urinator, she didn't drink that much daily. And she wouldn't just back up to a bucket and pee, she required me dropping the bucket behind her. So not sure that would work.

Now stall skins...those don't allow for any drainage. At least none of the solid ones I've seen. So urine would pool on top and pobably make things worse.

Hopefully this is something that can be fixed...the extra drinking and urinating. And hoping the vet comes up with an answer soon.

Meanwhile the only things I can think of are: Put up a run-in shed and put thick sand in there. You'll have to mix in sweet pdz or something often to keep the sand from getting stinky over time though.
                        Or else dig out stall floor and add stonedust and then no mats. Thick stonedust base allows for a lot of drainage, but it would have to be somewhat deep so the drainage goes down low enough to not stink.

Unfortunately both are labor-intensive and not cheap.
                        Ummm, that is awesome! Unless I could train her with a BIG muck bucket in the corner I'm not sure that it would work! Unfortunately I don't think a run in is in the budget right now. Maybe enclosing part of the overhang to make it more shaded. The stall skins I've seen are a super heavy duty geotextile type, so they do drain the urine- that's their "claim to fame", but with that much I wasn't sure. We do have the stone mix barn pad and then stonedust on top for stalls.

Comment

Stall Skins work GREAT!

I have anywhere from a few inches to over a foot of stone dust under my StallSkins and I never have puddles of pee....and broodmares PEE.

I have cleaned stalls in barns that use a few inches of shavings over solid mats....they can get nasty in a hurry.

I do suspect that Stall Skins over concrete would puddle.
                          I wasn't always a Smurf
                          Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                          "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                          The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                            Stall Skins work GREAT!

I have anywhere from a few inches to over a foot of stone dust under my StallSkins and I never have puddles of pee....and broodmares PEE.

I have cleaned stalls in barns that use a few inches of shavings over solid mats....they can get nasty in a hurry.

I do suspect that Stall Skins over concrete would puddle.
                            What is your stonedust over? I want to say our stonedust ended up being 4"-6" in the majority of places, but this is also over the rock mix (53's ?) that they used for the building pad. Do you have a smell?

Comment

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                              Stall Skins work GREAT!

Interesting... and SO convenient... I'm dying to know: Is odor a factor?
                              The Farm: http://1738farmllc.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have Stall Skins over crushed concrete/sand, going on four years. No, urine has never seeped back up through and puddled, but in the winter when everything is frozen solid, they no longer act like Stall Skins because there's nowhere for urine to go. More bedding in the winter, for sure.

If a horse is really peeing a lot in one spot, I will get a damp, smelly patch there and it can take a day or two for it to dry, which tells me that there is a "saturation point" beyond which the Stall Skins will no longer work optimally. A little air exposure, Pine Sol, and a couple of "days off" for the stall does the trick.

How to safely restrict water? Well, you have to be observant. Watch the urine (the clearer the better), watch the animal, watch her drinking habits. If she's just fooling around and drinking out of habit or boredom, restricting her will do no harm at all, provided she can meet her needs.

If she's drinking 20 gallons consistently, try giving her 17 for a day or two, then 15. Be observant and see how it goes. If the weather is truly, truly brutal, that might not be the best time to experiment, but a little pony youngster might just be entertaining herself rather than "needing" all that H20.
                                Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by dmalbone View Post
                                  What is your stonedust over? I want to say our stonedust ended up being 4"-6" in the majority of places, but this is also over the rock mix (53's ?) that they used for the building pad. Do you have a smell?

Stonedust is over clay. We have quite a slope hence the difference in depth.
                                  No, it does not smell, there is minimal ammonia
                                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                                  Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                                  "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                  The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

I would first wait until you got test results back from the vet, hopefully not more than a few days from now. There may be something triggering her thirst, so an extra bag of shavings may be cheaper in the long run than redoing her stall, or lock her outside when you can. A friend of mine had a horse that was drinking massive amounts of water (around 40-50gal a day), turned out to be bute toxicity from the 1 gram he was getting daily for his navicular, along with a behavioral issue- he was simply hooked on drinking. They started rationing his water and changed medications, he is now drinking half the amount!

Comment

arabz has a thread goin on shade mesh curtain thing... could you maybe attach one of those to her overhang to provide her with shade and then kick her tooshy outside?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=261894
                                      If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mypaintwattie View Post
                                        I would first wait until you got test results back from the vet, hopefully not more than a few days from now. There may be something triggering her thirst, so an extra bag of shavings may be cheaper in the long run than redoing her stall, or lock her outside when you can. A friend of mine had a horse that was drinking massive amounts of water (around 40-50gal a day), turned out to be bute toxicity from the 1 gram he was getting daily for his navicular, along with a behavioral issue- he was simply hooked on drinking. They started rationing his water and changed medications, he is now drinking half the amount!
                                        Sadly, the results were normal. I'm going to call a different vet and look into more testing, but the initial panel was completely normal- cbc, liver, kidneys, electrolytes, sugar, etc. etc.Sorry- don't know all the technicalities of it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X