• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Has a Gas Co. Knocked on Your Door?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has a Gas Co. Knocked on Your Door?

Last evening, the hub and I watched a documentary titled 'GasLand'. The hub had mentioned this film to me about a week ago as he had seen some of the previews. It depicts the film maker traveling around the country interviewing property owners that have either signed leases with gas companies or reside in close proximity to gas wells where this type of 'fracking' (high water pressure drilling) has been done.

Natural gas and other contamiments have been found after it was discovered that the water coming out of faucets is flammable. Other problems include a host of health concerns, symptoms of illness- and the question of what effect this has on livestock (to keep this HR). Showed some large ranches where the air quality and water contamination are present!

http://sundance.bside.com/2010/films...d_sundance2010

I know that up until approx. a year ago there was a huge buzz in/around the Binghamton area (NY) and a gas co. did purchase a couple hundred acre farm nearby my residence. There have also been some gas wells drilled in the vicinity (20-30 mile radius). It looks scarey- and you can bet I will not be entertaining any gas companies that come knocking at my door!

I know someone went to my grandparents with something like that - up in the fingerlakes region of NY (about 30 minutes from ithaca). I'll have to call and ask her whatever came of that...
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, there have been many property owners (larger farms in the area) as my neighbor (350+ acres) asked me a few months back if I had heard or received a visit from the gas company. She said she had, that a representative had paid her a visit asking if she'd be interested in leasing her land (she is recently widowed and in her mid 70's). She also told me that there had been some special meeting with the Township she resides in and that for the time being, the drilling was on hold for some reason. Now I'm curious if this might be the reason!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Marli View Post
        - and you can bet I will not be entertaining any gas companies that come knocking at my door!
        That might not make much of a difference if your neighbor allows drilling on his property.

Oil and gas landsmen make used car salesmen (pick any steriotype) look like Salvation Army workers.

"This is our best offer and all your neighbors just signed. If you don't sign they will get all the money from the gas that's under your land. Because you're the only one who hasn't signed I'm making you a special offer so don't tell them what I'm offering you"
        I wasn't always a Smurf
        Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
        "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
        The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

WATCH OUT !

Watch out ~ snake salesman ~ IMHO ~ NO ONE ( neighbors & friends) who have bought into these system ~ has been pleased with construction, maintenance , and certainly the uncertain and limited income ~ just remember "a fish salesman isn't going to tell his product smells !"
          Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

PBS have a thing on it; http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/613/index.html
            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with the Marcellus Shale. That gas is over 10,000 feet down, and NY has stopped the drilling in it, so it has all moved to PA. Trust me, the gas industry is chomping at the bit to get to the NY Marcellus.

I work in Natural Gas Compression. Last year, our entire company was losing horse power because of the recession and gas prices. My district, which covers NY, PA, OH, WV among others, beat our forecast, and was the only area gaining horsepower. The Marcellus is the only place in America with significant drilling activity.

That being said, I had many arguments with my husband over whether or not to sell our gas rites. I was wholeheartedly against it. While I make a living off drilling, I don't want those destructive SOBs anywhere near my land. I already have a well on unused farmland and it is hassle enough. So, they did drill wells within a quarter mile of our home and pretty much ruined our well water. My boss swears up and down it is ground water issues giving me black flakes and sulphur in my well water... funny how we NEVER had ground water isues until they started drilling next door.

Most of the trouble is actually salt in the water. I have friends who give their dogs bottle water now that their well water is ruined.

Whenever the gas companies knock on my door, I come out on the porch and give 'em heck. They don't knock very often anymore.
              Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

Originally posted by Zu Zu View Post
                Watch out ~ snake salesman ~ IMHO ~ NO ONE ( neighbors & friends) who have bought into these system ~ has been pleased with construction, maintenance , and certainly the uncertain and limited income ~ just remember "a fish salesman isn't going to tell his product smells !"
                LOL, I recieved repeated calls from someone wanting to buy our standing timber, they were cutting our neighbors timber and would offer us $$$$$ for ours.

I repeatedly refused telling them that it would cost way more to clean up their mess and reseed the land than they were offering. They kept telling me it was a great opportunity and they certainly wouldn't leave a mess behind them.

The last time they called I told them they could HAVE the timber....as long as they left the property looking like a golf course.
                I wasn't always a Smurf
                Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                  That might not make much of a difference if your neighbor allows drilling on his property.
                  Yeah, I know!

I'm thinking I'll have to stop in and see my neighbor and ask if anything more has happened.

Comment

fracking is scary stuff
                    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                      LOL, I recieved repeated calls from someone wanting to buy our standing timber, they were cutting our neighbors timber and would offer us $$$$$ for ours.
                      I get half a dozen of those a year... Usually from some timber company who is just looking at maps and hasn't even been by to see that my woodlot is managed and was just selectively cut last year. Duh.

And yeah, even with a managed lot and a company that "cleans up" after themselves, it usually takes a few years to get it back to normal again. Heck, I'm still missing 75 feet of fence, and they took all the wire and posts and boulders and wadded them up at each end of the gap. I haven't signed off on it yet, and I'm THIS close to sending them a bill for it. In fact, next year when it's rented to the neighboring dairy farmer and HAS to be fixed, that is probably exactly what will have to be done.

Comment

Watched it last night and it brought me to tears and made me angry at the same time. This is what our country is coming to. It's about greed, money and profit at the expense of people and the environment. No one is going to give a sh**t about those poor people who have been affected. They live in the middle of nowhere so who cares about them? What about those people in Dish Texas and the amount of chemicals in the air that they are breathing?

When the ground water is contaminated it will affect ANYTHING that relies on it including our horses. Even your organic food that you think is safe will be affected. Once the damage is done there will be no fixing it.

To think that there are people that complain about the eyesore that wind turbines present. At least they are safe. Those wells and tanks dotting our once pristine environment out west look worse.
                        Five Star Tack

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by redlight View Post
                          Watched it last night and it brought me to tears and made me angry at the same time. This is what our country is coming to. It's about greed, money and profit at the expense of people and the environment. No one is going to give a sh**t about those poor people who have been affected. They live in the middle of nowhere so who cares about them? What about those people in Dish Texas and the amount of chemicals in the air that they are breathing?

When the ground water is contaminated it will affect ANYTHING that relies on it including our horses. Even your organic food that you think is safe will be affected. Once the damage is done there will be no fixing it.

To think that there are people that complain about the eyesore that wind turbines present. At least they are safe. Those wells and tanks dotting our once pristine environment out west look worse.
                          It IS all really sad. My thought also went to preserving organic food sources- but the film captured livestock (cattle/horses) drinking the water contaminated with the gas and other chemicals. It begs questions of further health hazards ie; reproductive problems problems (human and animal), central nervous system disorders, carcinogens- you name it.

Comment

My grandfather was forced off his farm by the cement company. They somehow had mineral rights under his farm. He didn't want to "sell", so they just kept blasting the quarry closer and closer until the windows started breaking from the blasting, and grandpa finally gave in, gave up the farm, and went to work for the cement company. That was back in the 40s, so not sure what laws would be like now, but I've visited the area and the quarry is still operating.

Comment

Does drilling not fall under the same domain as transport of gas/oil? Just curious because I know the gas companies don't need your permission to build a pipeline on your property. They will ask and offer money (I know, because I used to do it), but if you say no, then you go to court and instead of getting the $10k I offered you, you get what your land is worth as viewed by the court, which is not much, and the pipeline crosses anyway. It's called eminent domain.
                              Rhode Islands are red;
                              North Hollands are blue.
                              Sorry my thoroughbreds
                              Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RacetrackReject View Post
                                Does drilling not fall under the same domain as transport of gas/oil? Just curious because I know the gas companies don't need your permission to build a pipeline on your property. They will ask and offer money (I know, because I used to do it), but if you say no, then you go to court and instead of getting the $10k I offered you, you get what your land is worth as viewed by the court, which is not much, and the pipeline crosses anyway. It's called eminent domain.
                                I may be wrong, but I don't think the problems being caused by this wells are a result of eminent domain (though I could be wrong)

Comment

My county (Broome) is one of the hot zones and it just gets uglier by the minute.

Seriously...did you know that people with less than one acre lots in populated areas can sign a lease? Honest to God. So even though we have a few acres the house right next door (less than 300 feet away) could sign and I could have one of those nasty behemouths next door to me. Now the chance that the companies would actually drill there are slim to none, but the method behind the madness is that they secure huge chunks of properties that they can buy out. Luckily no one near us has signed...most of us moved out here for the same reasons...to get away from all that! But not less than 5 miles up the road hundreds of acres have been signed away.

I am actually pretty glad that those who have signed in our area waited to sign for big bucks (in the tens of millions) because the minute my well becomes polluted or I even get an inkling that my right to peacefully enjoy my property is intruded upon I am going to organize the biggest, baddest group of po'd folks in the area and we are going to sue them for EVERY FREAKING PENNY they make. The WHOLE DAMN LOT OF THEM. (and I already have more than 100 venomously committed peeps on board and nothing has even happened...yet...so look out land owners!)
                                  I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by equineartworks View Post
                                    My county (Broome) is one of the hot zones and it just gets uglier by the minute.

Seriously...did you know that people with less than one acre lots in populated areas can sign a lease? Honest to God. So even though we have a few acres the house right next door (less than 300 feet away) could sign and I could have one of those nasty behemouths next door to me. Now the chance that the companies would actually drill there are slim to none, but the method behind the madness is that they secure huge chunks of properties that they can buy out. Luckily no one near us has signed...most of us moved out here for the same reasons...to get away from all that! But not less than 5 miles up the road hundreds of acres have been signed away.

I am actually pretty glad that those who have signed in our area waited to sign for big bucks (in the tens of millions) because the minute my well becomes polluted or I even get an inkling that my right to peacefully enjoy my property is intruded upon I am going to organize the biggest, baddest group of po'd folks in the area and we are going to sue them for EVERY FREAKING PENNY they make. The WHOLE DAMN LOT OF THEM. (and I already have more than 100 venomously committed peeps on board and nothing has even happened...yet...so look out land owners!)
                                    Oh yeah, you're in the location that I've read have already done some drilling!

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know if there was a size requirement or if the gas company would lease any amount. It is definately scarey stuff and I feel the same as you.

Found more. Drilling in NY, Hydrolic Fracturing- http://www.wnyc.org/news/articles/104157

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alison..._b_617072.html

More- some initiatives to protest-

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/
                                    Last edited by Marli; Jun. 22, 2010, 01:26 PM. Reason: add'l info & links

Comment

Originally posted by Marli View Post
                                      I didn't know if there was a size requirement or if the gas company would lease any amount.

They have to have a certain acerage for certain depths. And as I've mentioned above, they aren't drilling much above 10,000 ft. so they are trying to amass large pools. Also, they have to be so many feet from an existing well. It's always in their best interests to lock up as much as possible to keep competitors out.

Comment

Ugh, I'm so glad to live where I do. My horse's boarding barn is smack dab in the middle of a wind farm, one of the biggest on the East side of the Mississippi. And people STILL complain. At least the turbines don't poison our water and air!
                                        Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Working...
                                        X