• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Yet another truck thread: Kinds of diesel engines? NEW QUESTION: Diesel care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Ya know, I thought of that when I posted that. Either way, the point was that I've had ZERO problems with it, even hauling a fully loaded steel BP up a long grade in 100 degree heat last week (which is likely the most I'll ever ask of it). Not that 130k is an accomplishment for a powerstroke!

Come to think of it, I have had one problem. The right rear door lock sometimes sticks. Darn.
    'K when did you put in the chip?

And if you wade into discussions at http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums you'll find yourself *needing* many gauges, the most legitimate of which for us chipped up towing folks is a tranny temp.
    Last edited by mvp; Aug. 22, 2010, 07:00 AM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

5.9 litre Cummins diesel and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Tows my big living quarter horse trailer like it was not even there. Great mileage and NO electronics to screw up. Simple efficient engine that will last forever.

My 2500 Dodge truck is 15 years new and still looks great. Never had a problem with either the truck or the engine. I kid my husband that when I buy my next Dodge truck in about 10 years or so I will transfer the old Cummins into the the new one...I honestly think I will get 25 years out of my present truck...and with hauling my trailer. Can't beat that economy!

Comment

Originally posted by Kairoshorses View Post
        Dang, CSSJR...wanna come with me whilest I look at trucks!?

Been away from this for a while.

Sounds like fun, but too far from the house.

The reason I made the comments I did was that I almost did not buy my 2008 6.4 because I looked up threads on the internet and saw so many complaints, some obviously off the wall and some that seemed reasonable.

But I was in the position of 357,000 on my 7.3, once every week driving two and one half hours starting at midnight, on a bad road, part of which was up a 9% grade.

No shoulder on either side, frequently foggy and when it was foggy it was the worst I have ever seen. Many nights I would be down to walking speed.

Not the kind of place where you want to have a breakdown.

But since nothing lasts forever, which is unfortunate, especially for those my age, I felt I had to trade.

So I bought one.

It rolled up 80,000 this week and I can say that I have enjoyed it more than any wheels we have ever owned, whether it be luxury car, pick up or what.

Now they are out with an engine built by Ford, the 6.7.

I know nothing about it but there is no doubt in my mind that it will be excellent after the first year bugs are worked out.

Ford built hundreds of thousands of diesel engines before they got out of the farm equipment business and they were excellent.

By the way, since my original, I have had a computer update.

The regen cycles are much farther apart and much shorter in duration.

Also fuel mileage is about 2 MPG better when not pulling the trailer.

The regen is so short that I will see the notice flash on the panel and the next time I look, it is gone.

Only twice in 10,000 miles have I seen it last for any length of time, the last time was last Sunday night and it lasted 20 minutes.

I hope you are as lucky as I.

CSSJR

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
          'K when did you put in the chip?

And if you wade into discussions at http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums you'll find yourself *needing* many gauges, the most legitimate of which for us chipped up towing folks is a tranny temp.
          Mine's a manual. I do have exhaust temp and boost gauges (boost gauge = unnecessary, but came in the pillar 'cluster' with the exhaust temp), though.

Not sure on the date of the chip install... I'd have to check the records.

Comment

1) Where do you non-motorheads go for some internet info on stuff like this?

2) When do you consider a diesel engine broken in?

3) Other life-extending techniques you like?
            Woot, congrats! I have basically the same truck, but mine's the 250. I go straight to http://www.ford-trucks.com in the 7.3L diesel folder for any questions. Those folks are great, friendly, and will post step by step picture instructions for you and if you live near anyone, they will come help you too. I heart them.

I don't really think about "broken in." I just drive the thing.

Oil changes, of course are vital. For the 7.3L, keeping up on tranny fluid and radiator fluid are also important. Draining the water out of the gas bowl (this is probably the wrong name for it) under the truck, too, which is very easy.

I have about 120K on mine (I bought it around 100K) and haven't had a peep out of it. I do have a 4 yr warranty on it, so I'm trying to tell the tranny to break so I can get a new one, LOL. I need to add a little grease to the rear end of the drive axle so it quit clunking away from stop signs, I think that's about it. Oh, and they can get the romp-romps in the wintertime on cold starts -- many have found that switching to synthetic oil solves that. I haven't tried that yet, I don't think the romps hurt anything, they just sound embarrassing...

Have fun -- I love mine every time I turn the key!
            Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
            We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I have a 2001 F250 PSD and I love it. It has almost 190,000 miles on it now. It is a 5 speed manual and it rocks! Only problem I'm having now is 'something' is slipping somewhere and the tach will go up but the ground speed won't. Then it catches again. It is not so fast off the line as it was and it has to work hard going up hills with 2 big horses and it never ever did before. I'm going to have to take it in at some point, but I need some free moola first. Clutch? clutch cylinder? slave cylinder? tranny? Absolutely no drips of any sort (well, except from the overflow from the AC) under the truck at any time. I routinely get around 17/18 mpg, around 15 hauling a 4H GN with 2 big horses or mares and foals. AC will freeze you out of the truck if it's less than 85 degrees out.

Oh yeah, I always plug it in when the temp is 25 or below and it starts right up with NO strain on the battery (learned that the hard way - it has 2 expensive batteries in it) and the really good thing about plugging it in is that the cab is warm instantly when I turn on the heat.
              Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
              Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

Many things. If you have an '02 that you won't part with, what were these collectors' items peopls were buying from you and what's so awesome about this one?

I think the warranty was 5 years/100K so it might not matter.

Don't know about an engine heater-- you mean separate from the engine block heater I plug in? If so, what up with that?

With good batteries, the Grand Old Lady *always* started in Central NY (but not Buffalo) winter temps. It may just be her work ethic. But I'm also prepared with a long, expensively 16 guage extention cord for proper warmth.

I'm with you on the oil changes. Every document for work down to the last oil change for 200,000 miles is wadded up in Old Lady's glove box. I have been too casual about tires.

If I really loved this truck, I'd get her a temp gauge for her transmission for the towing part of her job description.

Thanks again for talking diesel with me.
                My other trucks were a 97, 99 and 2000 F 250 PSD. People kept approaching me in parking lots and offering me boatloads of money for them (like double book value and then some, way more than enough for payoff and a healthy downpayment on a new one) since my area is not real horsey and good clean nice diesels are kind of hard to find here so I sold them and kept upgrading on options and stuff. Now that they aren't making the the 7.3, I won't sell this one. But I would if they were still making it and someone offered me enough $$ I would so I could get a dually.

As far as the engine heater, yes on my truck it came with the truck off the lot ( I bought it brand new). I'm not sure how it works etc, but there is nothing to plug in. I think it was an option that came with the particular package that I got. My other diesels didn't have it and it was a pain when it got cold, so I really appreciate the engine heater.

And I'm anal too, I have a small spiral notebook and put every single thing that is ever done to that truck in there, with the date and mileage and I have every receipt. As someone else said, it's very important to keep the bowl empty of water, that's your fuel filter and you don't want all that water getting in your fuel. They should check it at the oil changes and empty it.
                "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Mine's a manual. I do have exhaust temp and boost gauges (boost gauge = unnecessary, but came in the pillar 'cluster' with the exhaust temp), though.

My dodge is chipped(for about 20k miles), and i love it. I disagree with the unnecessary comment about boost gauges. It can give you a lot of useful information. Exhaust temp fuel pressure and boost are the gauges i have, unless you have an auto which should have a temp gauge for it

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                  I have a 2001 F250 PSD and I love it. It has almost 190,000 miles on it now. It is a 5 speed manual and it rocks! Only problem I'm having now is 'something' is slipping somewhere and the tach will go up but the ground speed won't. Then it catches again. It is not so fast off the line as it was and it has to work hard going up hills with 2 big horses and it never ever did before. I'm going to have to take it in at some point, but I need some free moola first. Clutch? clutch cylinder? slave cylinder? tranny? Absolutely no drips of any sort (well, except from the overflow from the AC) under the truck at any time. I routinely get around 17/18 mpg, around 15 hauling a 4H GN with 2 big horses or mares and foals. AC will freeze you out of the truck if it's less than 85 degrees out.

Oh yeah, I always plug it in when the temp is 25 or below and it starts right up with NO strain on the battery (learned that the hard way - it has 2 expensive batteries in it) and the really good thing about plugging it in is that the cab is warm instantly when I turn on the heat.

Sounds like the clutch is on its way out. definitely dont want that taking a dive when out with the trailer.

Comment

1) Where do you non-motorheads go for some internet info on stuff like this?

2) When do you consider a diesel engine broken in? And should I put her chip back on "Ford settings" for a while until she has grown up some? I do have a good and informed diesel mechanic but he's all "You know, Ford engineered this engine one way. The chip changes that...." So I need some kind of Dr. Spock Official Ruling on how to raise my young diesel.

3) Other life-extending techniques you like?

Many thanks.

1) cant help you there, i have a dodge

2) honestly, 100k miles on a diesel is just getting broken in. but i would chip it for sure

3) besides routine maintenance, put the pedal to the floor every once in a while and burn off that carbon buildup blow some smoke

Comment

With God's help the truck hunt ended in triumph.

I just bought a 2001 F-350 7.3L who doesn't even have her boobies yet-- 54K miles. Well, I don't think she has her boobs yet, but I don't know how to tell, looking at a truck. She was owned by some Boys who loved her and therefore Boyed her up with some aftermarket Boy Parts-- a fresh air intake and tuning-type chip among other things.

So now I need to learn to care for the youngest diesel I have ever owned and I have all kinds of questions.

1) Where do you non-motorheads go for some internet info on stuff like this? I find the Edmunds diesel forums a little over my head so far.

2) When do you consider a diesel engine broken in? And should I put her chip back on "Ford settings" for a while until she has grown up some? I do have a good and informed diesel mechanic but he's all "You know, Ford engineered this engine one way. The chip changes that...." So I need some kind of Dr. Spock Official Ruling on how to raise my young diesel.

3) Other life-extending techniques you like? I'm all about longevity and no slouch when it comes to caring for diesels. My grand old lady has 330,000 miles on her and is still going strong, save the rusting exoskeleton. But this is a whole new kettle of fish to me.

Many thanks.
                      Ah, congrats on the new baby... at 54k I'd say you got an infant, never mind the boobies.

My '99 7.3L is just hitting adolescence at 110k miles, I figure. Still in perfect shape inside and out. My DH jokes that I just spent a bunch of $$$ on a house with more garage space solely so it could live inside in the winter. (He's wrong; I also wanted bigger closets. )

You already know about the oil change/removing water from the bowl stuff. Also, always buy your diesel at the places that sell a ton of it if you can. Not the little out of the way places that get a diesel delivery twice a year.

I'm in the same camp as your mechanic and have always had the performance I wanted with an unchipped vehicle so can't help you on that score. I like the TheDieselStop.com forums for info, though, and would certainly would invest in a cps to throw in your glove box. They're cheap and a cinch to install if the current one fails (and if you need one, you're not goin' anywhere til you get that part.)

Enjoy the new baby.
                      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by cherham View Post
                        5.9 litre Cummins diesel and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Tows my big living quarter horse trailer like it was not even there. Great mileage and NO electronics to screw up. Simple efficient engine that will last forever.
                        Another Cummins owner, I'm on my second (a 2002) because the first had That Transmission (the 1998.5 model year).

The engine is great, just hit 90,000 miles and going strong. The Dodge parts surrounding it... not so much.
                        --
                        Wendy
                        ... and Patrick

Comment

I have 374k on my 2000 7.3 350. I change the oil every 5k, and put 1/3 bottle of power service (cetane boost) every 2-3 tanks of fuel.
                          At 141k I put a Brian's transmission in it, because I really didnt want to be stuck with a broken tranny as I travel a lot with horses and by myself.
                          I love my truck!
                          "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                          carolprudm

Comment

• Original Poster

Just catching up

Many thanks for sharing the joy of a new (old) 7.3 with me. It means a lot to be able to share that with some people who get it.

I'll answer y'all in separate posts. But for everyone:

I'll have you know it took me about 8 months of looking in the Northeast to find this one.

You should also know that my trusty Old Lady has been under my care for 210K miles. She did get a rebuilt Jasper transmission just after I bought her at 125K. It shows no signs of dying.

All this means that if you have a horse/truck you like and know how to manage its soundness, keep it. For people who don't want to switch breeds, this applies especially to the Ford 7.3Ls until the 6.7s get a track record and trickle down to the used market.

cherham, you might just get 25 years out of your Dodge if the rest of the truck holds up to the well-cared for Cummins. Those are strong, simple engines that seem to stay strong for a very long time.

Perhaps the Duramax's market share will build right about now.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Stupid question #1: Regen

Originally posted by cssutton View Post
                              By the way, since my original, I have had a computer update.

The regen cycles are much farther apart and much shorter in duration.

Also fuel mileage is about 2 MPG better when not pulling the trailer.

The regen is so short that I will see the notice flash on the panel and the next time I look, it is gone.

Only twice in 10,000 miles have I seen it last for any length of time, the last time was last Sunday night and it lasted 20 minutes.

I hope you are as lucky as I.

CSSJR
                              Can you give me a little tutorial on Regen?

It sounds to me like an engine designed to decide to work like a self-cleaning oven: When too much soot builds up (where?) it pours on the fuel to burn that out?

(With this analogy, can you see why I don't ask the diesel-only boys?)

Anywho. It will happen in my 7.3 PSD and I keep driving? Take it for a breezing type workout on the freeway? What?

I hope your still running 357K-er got a decent retirement. I can't bring myself to send mine to The Fiery Furnace where she would be melted down just for $200. Some of her parts (great tires and expensive batteries) are worth more than that. And the emotional attachment to a truck that has *never* screwed me is worth something, too.
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

I stand corrected

With some more studying I see that you are right. We all need tranny temp, EGT (exhaust gas temp) and turbo boost measured in psi.

Too bad I hate the pillar cluster. But in-dash gauges exist.

All this does make stock settings and no modifications look good. Though fresh air intake doesn't seem bad, hard or damaging.
                                The armchair saddler
                                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

wildlifer and Lucassb

No, as a matter of fact, I don't know stuff about fuel bowls and CPS yet. (On the to-do list)

In fact, I don't even know where those things are on this engine.

I know there should be homologous bits of anatomy between the IDI and Powerstroke. But just a casual look under the hood shows just how much evolution has occurred. Anatomical landmarks have really moved around and there are some entirely new adaptations.

For example, do y'all know that the turbo engines have two (2!) alternators? One can punt and you can still run. Apparently Ford needed more electricity and also reliability for ambulances which were powered by the PSD engine. They could build one big alternator or create juice plus reliability by building two. You can see the top one; the other is buried deeper.

OK. But do you care?
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Tiki and Jaegermonster

Tiki-- if your tranny fluid smells burnt, that might be you problem. 150K to 200K is about what you get. So don't begrudge it a new tranny if it's asking at 190K. But do be prepared to drop some money in for that. I got so many miles from mine because Jaspers are great (and expensive) and because I drive like a Reasonable Person especially when hauling.

Jaegermonster-- look for the male end of a 3-pronged plug in behind your front grille in the 7.3L PSD. That's where you plug in the engine block heater... (in Florida!). A long extension cord will work, but they lose juice over length so if you are serious, you need to buy a 16-gauge bad boy.
                                    The armchair saddler
                                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Well, I had it serviced recently and they didn't mention anything about the tranny fluid, and I know they check all fluids. How much is a new tranny? or for that matter a new clutch? I had some clutch problems when it was new and under warranty - twice for the same thing. Let the clutch in and it wouldn't come back and then, all of a sudden I had 2nd gear only and barely made it to a dealer - in one gear. They told me to back it into a parking space until they could get to it and I laughed at them and told them to try it their d@ms selves.
                                      Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
                                      Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

Can you give me a little tutorial on Regen?

It sounds to me like an engine designed to decide to work like a self-cleaning oven: When too much soot builds up (where?) it pours on the fuel to burn that out?

(With this analogy, can you see why I don't ask the diesel-only boys?)

Anywho. It will happen in my 7.3 PSD and I keep driving? Take it for a breezing type workout on the freeway? What?

I hope your still running 357K-er got a decent retirement. I can't bring myself to send mine to The Fiery Furnace where she would be melted down just for $200. Some of her parts (great tires and expensive batteries) are worth more than that. And the emotional attachment to a truck that has *never* screwed me is worth something, too.
                                        There is not a regen feature on the 7.3 to my knowledge. Not on the two I owned anyway.

Regen is short for regeneration. There is a sensor in the ehaust system that when it determines the exhaust system has a certain about of soot in it, it will burn it out.

It is my recollection that this feature first appeared on the 2008 models.

I don't know much about the internal works other than when it first came out, they had instances of the exhaust looking like a flame thrower with flames shooting out 3' behind the truck.

Look at a 2008 exhaust and you will see and extention on the tail pipe that forks, like a sling shot handle.

The forks have holes in them. The maual tells you that you must not let those hoes get stopped up with mud, and for good reason.

It has been rumored, and I have no idea how accurate it is, that there is about $7,000 in crap on the truck to make it meet EPA regulations.

Stupid beyond understanding.

The progressives claim to be the party of the working man.

How many working men can afford to pay $50,000 for a pickup?

Anyway, your analogy to the self cleaning oven was pretty good.

CSSJR

Comment

You are correct about regen -- it did not rear its ugly head until 2008. Due to EPA regulations, all new Ford diesels have a Diesel Particulate Filter in the exhaust system. When soot builds up, it shoots fuel in there and burns it all off so the soot doesn't go out the tail pipe. Which does burn fuel, so in the balance, probably accomplishes basically nothing in terms of conserving resources. But obviously they didn't ask me for design ideas. Progressive is not necessarily bad, but administrators are stupid and push stupid ideas. Common sense is lost down at my layer, the underling one.

The DPF is not on the 7.3L (thankfully) so you don't have to worry about it and it CAN be taken off of the new trucks. However, taking it off does void your warranty. But it increases your mileage.

The CPS is the cam position sensor. It's basically an electronic thingy without which your engine will. not. work. I think they were recalled b/c they kept going out. You should be able to call a Ford dealer and get them to print you off an OASIS report which will tell you if yours was replaced under recall. You can get a CPS from the dealer or from an International dealer (they built the engine) if there is one near you. Supposedly the grey International ones are better, but that is hearsay.
                                          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Working...
                                          X