• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Goats?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goats?

Still waiting to hear from the underwriters but with the appraisal coming back so well last week, it really looks like we might get the farm! Last night we drove to someone's place nearby that has goats... La Mancha to be exact. Got a lesson in goats as well as how to milk. She's got some 4 months olds that she's looking to sell and we're contemplating it. Anyone with goats want to weigh in??
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

We used to have a goat dairy ages ago, used the milk to supplement foals and sold the milk to people in town.
    Ours were mostly the bigger nubians.
    We used to put on registered goat shows and help the 4H kids with theirs.

Then the new regulations about not selling fresh milk came in and we had to either set up to process the milk or quit.
    We quit, sold them all but two pets, Billy the goat and an ancient alpine lady to a friend that also milked and we had been trading goats with.

Goats are much fun and not much work, really.
    Why not?

Comment

Goats as pets or goats for business? I have goats ( Nubians) that I use to keep the weeds down. They love the thorns, weeds and stickers and keep my fence line pretty nice! They also are good babysitters for some of the horses.
      Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Here is a very amusing but informative thread on the hazards of owning goats. They are certainly interesting critters.....
        http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=236646
        "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

As a dairy business you would milk your does twice daily, breed according to when you need them to freshen and bottle feed the kids. You will micro-manage what they eat to make sure the milk taste perfect! You will love it but it is work! We had Saanans and they were loves!!

As a meat business it is a bit easier but the outcome kinda makes me wince.

As a companion animal there is not a better one in a barn!

Comment

Mmmm, you can make fresh feta cheese!!!! Although it's best with sheep and goats milk, it's still pretty good with just goat's milk.

But have fun trying to keep them contained!
            You jump in the saddle,
            Hold onto the bridle!
            Jump in the line!
            ...Belefonte

Comment

I have been contemplating getting goats.
              I have one area of my pasture that is very wet in the spring, and rocky so I really can't get my tractor in there to mow, and its too large of an area to weed whack.
              Now that its full of mostly weeds, the horses don't like it either.
              I am on a mission to have it cleaned up so it could be a good area for horse pasture.

I already have one goat, oberhasli, and love him, but he's old and doesn't like to walk that far.

My question...
              Can goats be easily tied to an area, or I could put up temporary fencing. At night, they'd be brought in. I only want them as pets, not meat.

What do you think?
              save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

I'd hate to think of goats needing to be tied for more than a short while. They're pretty smart but I think they'd still get tangled up if they were on some sort of tether.

I think I could contain mine with an electric temporary fence, but mine are very much homebodies and like to stick around. And familiar with electric fencing.

Good luck with your new goaties! I'd love a La Mancha...

Comment

Yay goats!

I agree - tying isn't the best.... if you can get some temporary fencing (electric) up that would be best.

I don't have temporary fence so I try to get my goats out for walks - something we are working on because everyone wants to go at once and I'm afraid they will gallop towards the road by chance...

I have two LaManchas! They are the sweetest, smartest devil wethers that I know. Just love them!

I also have a Nigerian Pygmy, a Pygmy cross and a Pygmy/Boer. Wonderful goats!

Comment

i've had goats with my horses forever. I prefer the larger breeds,, they're sturdier, I think. You need GOOD fencing, and some can clear a 4'height, so think about that. A hot wire AND field fencing works well. They will graze,, but prefer browse, weeds, trees, flowers, so they can keep a fenceline clear, but need something extra in winter. Mine get Rabies shots every year and a C/D&T . Also may need hooves done if they don't have areas to wear themm downn naturally. They can live a long life. I had 2 does that lived to 17 and 19 and a wether that lived to 17, so be prepared for a committment. Hoeggar Supply has information and supplies ,, or contact the state Ag OFFICE OR 4H group. They are lots of fun, do best with more than one , but can't just be tossed in a field and left to fend for themselves. ( I know there are some areas that use them for highway or island weed control,, but they really do need some supervision and care- in my opinion.) And, i think a tied, unsupervised goat is somebody"s lunch!

Comment

• Original Poster

the current field is fenced with 6 strands of electric (about 2 miles of fence on a 10 mile charger). would that work or would we need to reinforce the existing fence more?
                      "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

As I was working on the weeds that seem to be impossible to control along my fencelines I thought about goats....
                        I don't want to hijack this thread, but have a couple questions. I have 4' high livestock and no-climb fence with electric at the top. Would that work for goats? What do you guys do at your gates?
                        Y'all ain't right!

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that I would tie them up and leave them. While I do barn chores, tie them to an area to clean it up. Its about 40' from the barn, some about 10'. For sure, they'd be dinner...I am very careful with my chickens, and same for the goats. I would not leave them tied up unless I was there, plus my dogs who would also alert me to any intruders.

My problem is I have a oberhasli wether, who really is more of a barn lizard. When he leaves the barn, the heavens sing since he prefers his stall. Door is open, so he can come and go, but he prefers to lounge in a stall. I just don't want more goat barn loungers. One is enough, I want browsers...hungry ones!

The area is large enough that I could put up no climb and leave them in that during the day and bring in at night. Tying is for them to eat a specific area for a couple of hours max and then be loose in the area.

I really just want to know they really are going to browse and consume the weeds that are just out of control.

Are there any poisonous plants for goats?
                          I was told milkweed. Which isn't in that area. I have tons of bittersweet that is going rampant, and I would love it if a goat could eat it.

Really just want to hear from folks who have hungry goats vs barn loungers. thanks.

Comment

Beastieslave -

I have 2x4 nonclimb horse wire with an oak sight board. The gates are pipe gates.

Never had a problem with goat escapes - but pygmy's would be able to get out through the pipe gates. I took in two old pygmy goats and to keep them in I just put nonclimb on the gates.

I never had any trouble with my goats - ever. They were all great animals to have around. I used them as weed control for my pastures.
                            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Given a choice and with plenty of edible stuff, i think the goats would stay away from toxic plants. Your state county extension would have a list of poisonous plants for your area. I do know rhododendron, and I think azalea can be harmful. I have tons and tons of stinging nettle,, but will they eat it "raw"? NO, But once I weed wack it down and it dries,, they devour it. One of the goats I have now is an escape artist. I have a top hot wire on my 4'fencing. there is one area within my pasture that ,if she stands on a rock , she can jump over ,, but is still IN the pasture, so not a problem. She can clear a 4'stall door, too, which makes for a fun time when the vet comes. i have to really lock all top and bottom. Being herd animals, even if one got out I'd think it would stay close to the rest. They have done a good job "pruning " the lower branches of the apple trees in teh pastures. they also can chomp on horses's tails , so pay attention, epecially in late winter/early spring.

Comment

PRS, thanks for that stroll down memory lane! That was one of the funniest threads ever! The 2 dog, 1 goat vehicle attack team still makes me chuckle!

Comment

Just found out that bittersweet is toxic...no wonder the horses don't eat those beautiful green vines.
                                  Oh well, I still have plenty of other non toxic weeds to be consumed.

Its funny to hear about jumping 4' and escape artists.
                                  My one lone goat has the opportunity to go wherever he wants, and he sticks within 20' of the barn.
                                  He doesn't go out with the horses, and rarely goes even out of the barn. he lives a cush life. But, the other goats...they need to earn their keep(hah, sure).

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                    Beastieslave -

I have 2x4 nonclimb horse wire with an oak sight board. The gates are pipe gates.

Never had a problem with goat escapes - but pygmy's would be able to get out through the pipe gates. I took in two old pygmy goats and to keep them in I just put nonclimb on the gates.

I never had any trouble with my goats - ever. They were all great animals to have around. I used them as weed control for my pastures.
                                    I have Pygmys. They are very difficult to contain. You'd be shocked at what they can squeeze through. Practically every morning I open the blinds to the back deck and patio, and there they sit, waiting for the Corgis to blast out of the house and chase them around the back yard. I can never figure out how they escape. However, they refuse to go back the way they came. So, it's goat round up every freakin' morning.

The only way I can stop it is to lock them up at night. They're pretty good about coming into a stall if they think there are Oreos in the feed tub.

If you want less trouble, go for the bigger guys.
                                    Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

Yearsand years ago we lived on Block Island( off the RI coast). I had a goat that I brought over on the ferry. She live in a stall we built in the garage. During the winter she could roam around andwould visit the Coast Guard station quite often. During the summer we had to keep her kind of close because she'd wander down to the beach in front of the house and steal fishermen's lunches. She'd also get INTO the CG station and chow down on the pool table, not to mention walking up and down over people's cars. Our summer neighbors always invited HER over for cocktails and , oh sure WE could come too. She was a great tourist attraction, especially when she'd be on the beach as the ferry went by! We had lots of fun with her and when we had to leave she went back to the mainland on the ferry and was a 4H GOAT after that.

Comment

"What do you guys do at your gates?" I use a panel of a X pen and clip it on ( ok- fine- baling twine works as well.... ). You could also use a section of the 1 x 2 inch green no climb you can buy at Home Depot cheap and secure it ( w/ baling twine ha ha, no don't use it - the goats can eat right through twine...).
                                        Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Working...
                                        X