• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Shedrow type barns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shedrow type barns

I am refitting any existing barn it will be 2 stalls 12 x 14 and 6 ft left in front seems no safe way to close up barn and then turn into stall it seems. I have 16 hand plus horses.Have to make this decesion to be ready for horses arrival.
    I am in East Texas now and hubby and horses in NJ. I know I will be dealing with the heat but will they be fine with shedrow design when winter comes.
    It is so beautiful here . Thanks

Sorry, what's your question?

Comment

• Original Poster

Is a shedrow type set up a good option in Texas? I would love to see others photos of this barn design also..

Comment

I currently have a L shaped shedrow on the hot and humid NC/ SC border. We have the option of converting to a center aisle and are doing that this year, but that is for resale value. I love my barn. I would make sure to have an over hang or roofed grooming area. For us this is accessible to the horses 24/7 and they love to come in out of the sun and stand under a fan. I will try to make an album on FB public when I get home from work.
        Dutch Harbor 2000 TB gelding
        Unagi 2010 QH gelding
        Cecil Batholomule 2015 Appy Mule
        http://dutchrunfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

thank you

Comment

What kind of barns do others around you have?

That will help tell you what works best there.

If you are where it rains more, you may want to have some way to stay out of the rain doing chores and caring for the horses.
            To stay out of the weather is harder to do with a shedrow barn, but for just two stalls, if oriented right, a shedrow would possibly work.

If horses have protection when they choose to, they really do fine in cold weather, more than in hot, humid weather, so you may not have to worry about cold weather that much?
            More information and pictures would help.

Comment

• Original Poster

There will be windows and there are gables at either end. I am installing fans but stronger than in NJ.
              Bluey the horses are generally out with cattle with no shelter but they are ranch horses.
              Mine are a Standardbred and a TBx they like being out but in Summer they were in a bank barn with fans.
              This is a big move one is 20 the other 18. They are shipping down with Equine Express. on the 29th so I am hustling .
              Everyone so far helpful here .I will take pics and see if I can post them.

Comment

We love our shed row barn, and had decades of experience boarding in center-aisle ones for comparison before we built. We are in a very warm climate that can be humid at times (not a desert, so not that hot nor dry, and it also doesn't cool down here at night in the summer as much as in a desert), but not as humid as places such as East Texas or the Gulf Coast or the Midwest.

We oriented the barn to catch both the predominate cooling breezes from the aisle side, and to offer protection on the side from which most severe weather comes; ours has a 12 foot aisle with an additional 3 foot overhang on the edge of the aisle, so there's plenty of room to work out of the weather.

Around here, the typical center-aisle barns I've either boarded in or visited seem to be wind tunnels in the aisle yet somewhat stuffy in the stalls, although the ones with a raised center aisle (RCA) offer improved ventilation - if I had to have a center aisle barn in this climate, I'd sure try to find the additional $$ for that style.

I've shipped horses a number of times with Equine Express, and that is the company I always recommend; best wishes for a successful move.

Comment

To answer your basic question, yes your horses should be fine in a shedrow during an East Texas winter.

If you were building from scratch, I would suggest you orient the barn thoughtfully. My stalls all face east so they stay cooler in the summer. I did that because I have one horse with anhidrosis, but in general horses are more sensitive to heat than cold anyway. My run-in sheds have their open side to the south so they block the worst of the weather and let sun inside in the summer.

Since you're refitting an existing barn, you'll have to make do with what you have and hope it works. You can always make adjustments later with fans, shade cloth, etc.

Is the extra 6' going to stay open on the side or is there already a wall there?

Comment

We have a shed-row type barn. I can't say I will do it again.

The pro is obviously: you get more air flow, so a cleaner environment. This is rather important in Oklahoma (and more so in Texas I'm sure). Air and bright. Our is close to our house so we can look out the window and see our horses poking their heads out of the stall front.

The con? Well, too much airflow. Every debris and leaves get blown into the barn and pile up against our pretty European stall fronts. It is also a gigantic pain to try to keep birds from nesting there...

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
                      We have a shed-row type barn. I can't say I will do it again.

The pro is obviously: you get more air flow, so a cleaner environment. This is rather important in Oklahoma (and more so in Texas I'm sure). Air and bright. Our is close to our house so we can look out the window and see our horses poking their heads out of the stall front.

The con? Well, too much airflow. Every debris and leaves get blown into the barn and pile up against our pretty European stall fronts. It is also a gigantic pain to try to keep birds from nesting there...
                      Right.

The idea of having a barn is to have an environment protected from the weather outside.
                      To do that, some kind of center aisle or at least something enclosing the opposite side of the stalls is just the better mousetrap, no question there.

If someone wants airflow, they can engineer airflow in an enclosed structure easier than not being able to stop airflow in an open air one.
                      You can always open doors and windows, if you have doors and windows to open.

We had a shedrow barn and ended up putting canvas curtains in the front to even get some decent protection to the stalls from rain, snow and wind and the dust the wind was blowing.

Here is one such company that sells screens:

http://www.windscreensupply.net/live...es-and-cattle/

Look at the first picture there, a shedrow barn with a screen in front, that would work.

If you are going to have shedrow stalls, you may want to provide some kind of front you can close when necessary, if protection from the elements is why you have stalls.

Comment

Originally posted by Libby2563 View Post
                        To answer your basic question, yes your horses should be fine in a shedrow during an East Texas winter.

If you were building from scratch, I would suggest you orient the barn thoughtfully. My stalls all face east so they stay cooler in the summer. I did that because I have one horse with anhidrosis, but in general horses are more sensitive to heat than cold anyway. My run-in sheds have their open side to the south so they block the worst of the weather and let sun inside in the summer.

Since you're refitting an existing barn, you'll have to make do with what you have and hope it works. You can always make adjustments later with fans, shade cloth, etc.

Is the extra 6' going to stay open on the side or is there already a wall there?
                        My impression was that the six feet left over is in front of the stalls, basically the roof overhang: "...it will be 2 stalls 12 x 14 and 6 ft left in front seems no safe way to close up barn..." Now, after reading your post Libby, I'm not sure which way the OP is configuring that space. A bit of punctuation in that sentence would have clarified things.

Did she mean,
                        ...it will be 2 stalls 12 x 14 and 6 ft left. In front, seems no safe way to close up barn...

Or,
                        ...it will be 2 stalls 12 x 14 and 6 ft left in front. Seems no safe way to close up barn...?

Enquiring minds want to know.
                        "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

• Original Poster

I really like the wind screen idea Bluey it even looks nice.
                          Thanks for helping me sort it out

Comment

Working...
                          X