• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

spinoff-making money on farm with something besides horses..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spinoff-making money on farm with something besides horses..

which, obviously, aren't. We have a premium facility. Apparently, we are geographically, undesireable, being exactly 1/2 way between Cincinnati and Lexington. We're on the freeway. We have a billboard. We have zero clients, as the area does not seem to support full care, show type facilities and $600/month board. That's the bad news.

Good news, we have 40 acres, are not "horse poor" (12 stalls, 2 horses). We have another business, seperate from the farm that pays the bills. It would be really, really nice, to find some other agricultural product, the less labor intensive the better, to produce some income. It wouldn't have to make a great deal of profit, as our bills are well met, but enough to take the standard farm deductions to support my dirty little habit.

My husband is a city boy, I grew up with animals and veggie gardens. He thinks you can just fence the back 40 acres in, throw cattle out there and voila'! baby cows and profit. Not quite that simple.

Help.

Two Words - Meat Goats

Do some research about the ethnic populations in your area and if you have the numbers to support it meat goats are great! They are not hard on the facilities, don't require tons of management and they are kind of cute.
    We have a small herd now and they just about pay for themselves and for the part of the horses. We just started in August, so it hasn't taken long. Just be sure that you have a good vet nearby that understands goats.
    As a bonus, they eat the moldy hay I won't feed the horses, trim the weeds and eat all of my leftover vegetables. Gestation is only 5 months, so you will have tons of cute kids to entertain you. And the biggest bonus of all, you can tell people you are a goat herder and they look at you like you're crazy

Comment

Whatever animal you get, learn about them, you really can't just buy them and forget them in the back 40, they need some care, attention and knowledge to know if something is wrong.

Around here, those that just want the tax break from their acres being designated ag value for tax appraisals, contract with a local that has some cattle and rent him the pasture for the season.
      The best of both worlds, some animals using your land, paying you for that use, definitely qualifies for ag value (check with your county for any tricky particulars, like how many acres or animal units or weeks a year are needed for that) and you don't have to make an investment in the animals and their care, if you don't have the knowledge, time or money for that.

You can even learn from whoever grazes your land and eventually try it on your own.

Comment

I have been by your place on the way to Lexington. You have a beautiful pasture. My gentleman farmer father used to rent our pasture to farmers to graze dairy heifers. I don't know how much it would pay or if there's a demand in your area, but it was nice to know they were going to a productive life after leaving our farm. You could check with your county USDA office as they usually have a rate schedule for different farm activities. They might also have ideas for" small farming" and are always willing to help. Your county extension agent is also a good resource.

Comment

Free range chickens are easy in small numbers. Granted, we only have 8 at the moment, but it's certainly not a bad way to use one or two of your empty stalls. They eat bugs from around the property and pick the manure pile clean. Not sure how much of a market there is around there for eggs, but at roughly $2 a dozen if you get some black australorps that lay around 5 to 6 eggs a week on average, that's roughly $4 a month per hen in egg income. Then when they're done laying in a couple of years you've got a whole bunch of free range chickens to sell for food. Is there a Whole Foods in your area?
          David A. Staples
          Pony Tail Acres | Find Us On Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
            which, obviously, aren't. We have a premium facility. Apparently, we are geographically, undesireable, being exactly 1/2 way between Cincinnati and Lexington. We're on the freeway. We have a billboard. We have zero clients, as the area does not seem to support full care, show type facilities and $600/month board. That's the bad news.
            While you may have show facilities, you're not in a show area. Scale back the # of hours you budget for each horse and scale back the service. Then do retirement board -- HUGE demand if you can do it affordably. I can't speak for your region, but where I am we're *dying* for affordable, competent equine retirement barns.

Or do lay-ups with the 10 spare stalls you have. In my area the good lay-up farm charges over $30 per day. Lexington is a hot area for horses, and if you can get in with a few of the bigger trainers there, you can keep a steady business.

Or put your feelers out to find a trainer you trust to sublet the extra stalls and unused pastures. This is almost no labor on your part, provided you get someone reliable.
            Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

I'm in a similar situation...our location is farther out from the population centers than many of our competitors, and we've had a hard time keeping show/pleasure boarders for that reason. For a while we did well with offering breeding services and foaling out mares but when the economy tanked, we lost those clients who were all breeding Arabs and part Arabs.

I've picked a direction that we are going and we are diversifying from raising only horses to raising pastured poultry and we hope to add grass fed (and finished) beef and pork...and as things go turkeys perhaps as early as next year. This type of farming is directly related to the "buy local, buy fresh" movement and is gaining ground as more and more consumers want to know that the animals they consume are raised humanely and cleanly and without antibiotics and hormones.

My first batch of chickens is here..some hens for laying and some broilers to sell for meat. I have people already lining up for the broilers and fresh eggs. If you haven't had pastured eggs/meat before either, you will not believe the taste..it is excellent!

Since our horse breed we raise already is an ALBC (American Livestock Breeds Conservancy) listed breed (critical) we feel like we'd like to also support heritage and endangered breeds of poultry, beef and hogs. It fits for our farm, our philosophy, and due to our location, it fits into the history of Tidewater Virginia also. We figure that we can open the farm to tours of the rare breeds of farm animals to educate folks also and to bring awareness also to our farm and program.

No idea if we'll succeed or not but the only pasture based farm in our area raising poultry, pork and beef sells out yearly of all their meat....so there is a market in our area and we are close enough to a population center to have a customer base.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
                My husband is a city boy, I grew up with animals and veggie gardens. He thinks you can just fence the back 40 acres in, throw cattle out there and voila'! baby cows and profit. Not quite that simple.
                Sigh. Mr. subk thinks the exact same thing. He works in an office 60 hours a week and I do everything on the farm. He is just certain that there is nothing involved in raising cows. He wants cows, but I know I'd be stuck doing the work--all while not be appreciated for it because in his mind I wouldn't be doing anything. I wouldn't mind so much if came up with a realistic plan and had some idea what he (me) was getting into, but the "it doesn't take any work" talk means he doesn't have a clue. Nothing on the farm "doesn't take any work!"

Comment

Then when they're done laying in a couple of years you've got a whole bunch of free range chickens to sell for food.
                  Ever partaken of chicken meat that came from a bird that's a couple of years old? Good for making stock, maybe.

I like the idea of a retirement barn, but maybe that area is already full of them?

It's probably a lot of work and a huge learning curve, but goats are at least tough, small critters that probably can't kill you TOO easily. Meat, milk, cheese, kids . . . pretty versatile as a species.
                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

I can;t think of any farming that's not labor intensive. You can do rotational seasonal type stuff...like chickens for eggs/meat and then putting in a decent sized pumpkin patch for autumn (pick your own pumpkins) and maybe some Christmas trees? I think those only require once or twice a year pruning for a decent shape and people can cut their own.
                    Heck, have fun with the chickens and free range them and have a Find Your Own Eggs, LOL! That way you have 3 different "crops" annually and people pay YOU to harvest them.

Organic stuff is selling well in a lot of areas too. Personally I can barely keep alive a small family garden, so not much advice in growing stuff. Mr Blue jokes that I should find a way to make income here...as a petting zoo. With the wildlife I rehab. Erm...I guess it would be a full contact petting zoo since I only rehab stuff that bites. "Come on kids, doncha want to pet the badger? Stop crying Johnny, you have 9 more fingers left!"
                    You jump in the saddle,
                    Hold onto the bridle!
                    Jump in the line!
                    ...Belefonte

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                      Ever partaken of chicken meat that came from a bird that's a couple of years old? Good for making stock, maybe.
                      That was my first thought....
                      Mc Nuggets, maybe.
                      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

They're called stew hens for a reason.

Broilers and roasters are not old free range retired layers. They're young, tender and for eatin'. Layers lay. When they're done you use them for stew/stock.

Roosters are for coq au vin or making more chickens.
                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                          They're called stew hens for a reason.

Broilers and roasters are not old free range retired layers. They're young, tender and for eatin'. Layers lay. When they're done you use them for stew/stock.
                          Some of the farmers use the older hens for pet food also...barf diets for dogs, etc...

Definitely the broilers I raise will not be old and gamey. They will probably be slaughtered around 12 weeks old...another 4 weeks longer than the commercial Cornish hybrid broilers take to finish...but I'm not in a race...and I have no interest in dealing with the sluggish hard to raise hybrids they raise in commercial chicken houses.

Comment

Roosters are for coq au vin or making more chickens.
                            Now don't sell roosters short. They're also good for:
                            1) entertainment
                            2) warning system
                            3) cardio (running away from it)
                            4) protection
                            5) tennis/badminton practice
                            6) lung capacity (screaming at them)
                            7) alarm clock;morning, noon and night
                            8) ambush practice
                            9) brushing up on your mad ninja skills
                            10) contact sports

You jump in the saddle,
                            Hold onto the bridle!
                            Jump in the line!
                            ...Belefonte

Comment

well here's another potential idea for ya.
                              since i live on a mountainside just down the road from a popular ski area i frequently get folks stopping by to ask if we rent horses by the hour.
                              since i so don't i thought, well heck, i have haflingers, why not try some sleigh rides? so picture this---sleigh rides along the brook front and through the woods, returning to hot cocoa and s'mores over a fire. we could also do weddings up at the wedding pavilion, haflinger drawn carriage rides and release white doves--they'll fly home before i get the ponies unharnessed i bet.
                              what would you pay for a sleigh ride at a ski area or a wedding carriage pulled by adorable haffies?

Comment

Ah, THAT'S where Chicken McNuggets come from!

Sleigh rides. Lexington, Kentucky. Hmmm. Probably the season would be on the short side. Carriage rides are very, very difficult to make profitable unless you don't have to haul your horses around and can keep the carriages working for hours at a stretch, and the liability insurance premiums are really astronomical. One of my college jobs.
                                Click here before you buy.

Comment

well i live on the only road which goes to a local and popular ski area---so no traveling for me except for the wedding stuff. which could be anywhere i guess. it's always the insurance which makes it so dang expensive, isn't it?

Comment

I like the retirement idea

Folks are always needing a place to retire their older horses. It's something you already know. I personally could not do the "raise it to eat it" thing, I just get too attached to any of the critters to consider them groceries.

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                                      Now don't sell roosters short.

You forgot "alienating the neighbors."
                                      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Interesting thread.

DH and I have been experimenting with organic produce the past couple of years. We have a lot of restaurants in our area, and that whole "eat local" thing is gaining momentum with consumers (thank you Alice Waters, Deborah Madison and Barbara Kingsolver). So local chefs will buy from local farmers.

It's not a quick fix, though. If you're like us, the learning curve will take a few years, to find out what grows well in your area (for example, in mine, lettuce will take over the world and sorrel won't even show up).

I wanted to do sheep (locker lambs) or meat goats, but damn it, I just can't ship 'em off for slaughter. No value judgment on those who do - I have plenty of friends who do it, but I just can't.
                                        I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Working...
                                        X