• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Parasitic draw in horse trailers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parasitic draw in horse trailers

Hopefully someone here can give me some suggestions.

Something on the horse trailer is draining the battery on the truck when I turn the lights on or press on the brakes.

Battery and alternator on the truck were replaced due to advanced age. I figured that was what was causing the problem. Nope. (voltage regulator is contained in the alternator)

I tested the brake controller and plug with the voltmeter - also hooked up the truck to my friends trailer - it's A-OK. No sign of arcing on the plug tines. Battery stays charged.

That leaves the trailer.

The draw occurs when I turn the lights on, and draws down very quickly when the brakes are applied. When I turn the lights off, the gauge returns to 14 volts. Lights on, drops to 12 immediately, then slowly drops below 12. With or without the lights, when brakes are applied it drops to 12 volts and continues to descend. I've not allowed the battery to drain completely of course. Regardless; when the trailer is in use the battery is supplying a lot of the current and the alternator cannot recharge it quickly enough.

When I release the brakes/and or turn the lights off, the alternator quickly recharges the battery.

I don't have a wiring diagram of the trailer. I thought perhaps the replaced alternator was undersized; but I checked the specs on the truck and it seems the alternator is the correct one. (I didn't do the work)

Ok electrical experts - where do I start looking and what am I looking for?

Thanks.

eta: I've towed that trailer with this truck for many years; this is the first time I've had an electrical problem with either.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

When I read the title I thought "Worms being drawn to horse trailers?"

Sorry, I have no help, but good luck! That is frustrating.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Comment

sounds like there is a short in the trailer wiring.... I think I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than try and diagnos where though.... I don't even know where to suggest you start looking.

any chance it does the same thing when hooked up to a different rig?

how old is the trailer/wiring? At some point the insulation breaks down or wears off and you just have loss. Sounds like your juice is leaking out somewhere.
      If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Chardavej View Post
        When I read the title I thought "Worms being drawn to horse trailers?"

Sorry, I have no help, but good luck! That is frustrating.
        I thought, "Oh, people who are constantly bumming trailer rides off of others, like parasites?"
        Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Originally posted by Catersun View Post
          sounds like there is a short in the trailer wiring.... I think I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than try and diagnos where though.... I don't even know where to suggest you start looking.

any chance it does the same thing when hooked up to a different rig?

how old is the trailer/wiring? At some point the insulation breaks down or wears off and you just have loss. Sounds like your juice is leaking out somewhere.
          somewhere the wireharness sprung a leak.

Comment

My guess is also a short, or possible a loose connection. As with the others, you couldn't pay me enough to diagnose that again.

Usual suspects are the wiring along the truck chassis, where general wear and tear can eat through the coating, as well as points where the wire rests on a sharp point (like the edge of a piece of steel)

If it's in the trailer itself, that's usually tougher, especially with no circuit diagram...

Sounds like you know a thing or two about this, but time to take each wire and test it, then do each in combination, lights on, lights off, etc. If you don't have a decent multimeter, don't bother though, pay money to have someone else beat their heads against a wall
            Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke - by Joseph Lucas

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper
              circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by
              retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke".
              Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. Don't be
              fooled by scientists and engineers talking about excited electrons
              and the like. Smoke is the key to all things electrical

We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of
              an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified
              repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a
              large copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious
              quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to
              function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an
              electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also
              be observed that the component no longer functions.

The logic is elementary and inescapable! The function of the wiring
              harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the
              wiring harness springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the
              system, nothing works right afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for
              some time largely because they regularly released large quantities of
              smoke from the electrical system.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly
              more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or
              American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas
              is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil,
              British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks, and disk brake systems leak
              fluid, British tires leak air and British Intelligence leaks national
              defense secrets.

Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak
              smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

Sometimes you may miss the component releasing the smoke that makes
              your electrical system function correctly, but if you sniff around
              you can often find the faulty component by the undeniable and
              telltale smoke smell. Sometimes this is a better indicator than
              standard electrical tests performed with a volt-ohm meter.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy
              in the form of smoke provides a clear and logical explanation of the
              mysteries of electrical components and why they fail.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark." - Joeseph Lucas, 1842-

PS - checked for ants in the plug ? (the smoke attracts them)
              Last edited by Equibrit; Jun. 14, 2010, 07:31 PM.
              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I don't believe that it is the trailer wiring.

Reason being: The lighting circuit and the brake circuit are two entirely different circuits.

So if the truck is OK, apparently proved by hooking to your friend's trailer, it is something to do with the trailer.

But for it to be bad wiring, it would have to mean that both the light wiring and the trailer wiring went bad at the same moment, which is not really that likely.

I would very carefully examine the trailer plug or connection, as there is very likely a short or a bad connection in the plug itself.

It sounds like both the lights and brakes are grounded in the plug. If that is the case, what is happening is that as you send power to either, you have a short.

The very latest trucks have fuse protection on each circuit and you would get a blown fuse.

Apparently you have an older truck. That is not bad, it just means that you must fix the problem because you have no overload protection.

CSSJR

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                  A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke - by Joseph Lucas

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper
                  circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by
                  retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke".
                  Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. Don't be
                  fooled by scientists and engineers talking about excited electrons
                  and the like. Smoke is the key to all things electrical

We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of
                  an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified
                  repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a
                  large copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious
                  quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to
                  function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an
                  electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also
                  be observed that the component no longer functions.

The logic is elementary and inescapable! The function of the wiring
                  harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the
                  wiring harness springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the
                  system, nothing works right afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for
                  some time largely because they regularly released large quantities of
                  smoke from the electrical system.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly
                  more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or
                  American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas
                  is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil,
                  British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks, and disk brake systems leak
                  fluid, British tires leak air and British Intelligence leaks national
                  defense secrets.

Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak
                  smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

Sometimes you may miss the component releasing the smoke that makes
                  your electrical system function correctly, but if you sniff around
                  you can often find the faulty component by the undeniable and
                  telltale smoke smell. Sometimes this is a better indicator than
                  standard electrical tests performed with a volt-ohm meter.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy
                  in the form of smoke provides a clear and logical explanation of the
                  mysteries of electrical components and why they fail.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark." - Joeseph Lucas, 1842-

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh geez thanks, guys. All y'all are sooooooo helpful.

csutton- I was thinking the same thing. Lights and brakes? They're separate. Yes, both utilize the plug for ground; accessories in the middle - typical layout for a trailer. Both the truck and trailer are a little over 10 years old.

I admit I had not examined the plug carefully. That does seem to be more likely than both the brake and lights wiring going bad at the same time.

Though with my luck....

After reading your post I did try to examine it and test it with the multimeter but the light was failing so I couldn't see well. The inside of the plug does look like it's seen better days. The readings were all over the place - but I was slapping at mosquitoes so that may be why.

Thanks everyone for your help (and jokes).
                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

By the way, do you know how to check the circuits for a short?

http://www.ladyada.net/library/metertut/continuity.html

If you put one probe into the trailer plug at the light position and the other probe on the frame, you can determine whether that wire is shorted because you will get a reading demonstrating continuity.In other words, the reading will be the same as it would be if you put the probe on each end of a long wire.

No reading means no continuity = no short.

Be that as it may, the pug itself is suspect.

CSSJR.

Comment

OK.

I see that you do.

I was writing as you were posting, so I was late to the party.

Comment

• Original Poster

csutton - no, I don't know very much at all and my helper is not available for the week. Which is why I posted here; I know you, Tom King, Frank B and a few others might have some ideas. I'm just not that experienced or confident about troubleshooting electrical problems. And I've got no experience with odd electrical problems with trailers.

So your link is great and I will be sure to use it.

Thanks.
                          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I doubt that you even need to test.

I suspect something simple like plugging up and unplugging so many times that the insulation is worn close to the plug and is shorting.

Or maybe someing like dirt in the plug causing a weak short.

But think of the testing this way. Assume you are testing a switch. With the switch in the off position, the probes put on the contacts will read zero.

With the switch in the on postion, the probs will show that current is passing from one probe to the other.

So a short would read the same as switch on and no short would read the same as switch off.

Testing the trailer using the above is simple.

DO NOT test the truck wiring this way. Much more complicated.

Anyhow, your test with the other trailer seems to give the truck a clean bill.

CSSJR

Comment

you can use a small emery board to clean your plug connections, it's a PITA, but if it is in the trailer it's somewhere before it splits which suggests the plug. We went through this with my trailer before we moved the horses home.
                              If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

New plug ends for the trailer pigtail are cheap and easy. I would guess that if you crack yours open and take a peek, you will find corrosion. Typically, it's in the area between the (permanently) hot lead and the ground - the battery charging circuit from truck to trailer is "supposed" to be hot all the time, and often if a rig is left hitched, it will start building corrosion.

I've had to rewire EVERY trailer we have ever owned, and plugs are the place to start looking. Hint - when you replace it, before final reassembly coat the terminals liberally with dielectric grease (vaseline will substitute) to help keep moisture and corrosion from starting again - at least, for a while Second hint - buy the plugs at a parts store, NOT cheepy box store crapola. Get brand name parts, they really are better!
                                Homesick Angels Farm
                                breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
                                standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
                                www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Comment

Originally posted by cssutton View Post
                                  I don't believe that it is the trailer wiring.

Reason being: The lighting circuit and the brake circuit are two entirely different circuits.

So if the truck is OK, apparently proved by hooking to your friend's trailer, it is something to do with the trailer.

But for it to be bad wiring, it would have to mean that both the light wiring and the trailer wiring went bad at the same moment, which is not really that likely.

I would very carefully examine the trailer plug or connection, as there is very likely a short or a bad connection in the plug itself.

It sounds like both the lights and brakes are grounded in the plug. If that is the case, what is happening is that as you send power to either, you have a short.

The very latest trucks have fuse protection on each circuit and you would get a blown fuse.

Apparently you have an older truck. That is not bad, it just means that you must fix the problem because you have no overload protection.

CSSJR
                                  I think this is where you start. If as CSS says these are two separate circuits, then the only way you experience your problem from either circuit must be at the spot which interacts with both circuits. I would start with replacing the plug. HOpefully, this is all it is.
                                  Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Boy, wouldn't this be a good Puzzler for the NPR auto repair guys, Mariozzi brothers, etc.

Describe the problem just as the OP did, then ask "Where's the short?" Very cool.
                                    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Plug has already been mentioned. Check in, on, around your tail/brake light socket bulbs and wiring.

Side note; if you do have one of the screw terminal plugs, I always replace those with a sealed one piece cord/cable. Some butt connectors and shrink tube will give years of reliable service. See this. Notice this one has contacts on both side of the pin slot, much more reliable electrical connection.
                                      Disclaimer;
                                      Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
                                      Not in the 42% or the 96%

Comment

Get 'er fixed?
                                        Disclaimer;
                                        Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
                                        Not in the 42% or the 96%

Comment

Working...
                                        X